OT: 50 years ago today

1,131 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by 82gradDLSdad
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?

bearister
She got taken a block or so down from the apartment I rented on Benvenue (between Dwight and Parker…she was on Benvenue between Parker and next side street) after I graduated from 1976-1982. They left the SLA bullet holes in the front of her place for a while.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Larno
I lived a couple blocks away at the time. Students at that time will remember that reg cards with personal information for all students was kept in the administration building on Sproul Plaza in files. Anyone could go in and look up your information, which apparently is how her kidnappers found out where she lived. Needless to say this practice was discontinued.
chalcidbear
Drunk History is such a great series.
82gradDLSdad
bearister said:

She got taken a block or so down from the apartment I rented on Benvenue (between Dwight and Parker…she was on Benvenue between Parker and next side street) after I graduated from 1976-1982. They left the SLA bullet holes in the front of her place for a while.

One of my few Cal memories is these streets are where I used to park almost every day when I commuted to school. The years were the exact same as those you mention. Maybe I was a suspect.
wifeisafurd
Feeling old that the Hearst abduction was fifty years ago.

I lived close by as well, and on the 5th year anniversary, the news crews were outside where my walk to campus was interrupted by a reporter putting a microphone in my face. The reporter asked what I thought about the Hearst kidnapping, and in a rather sarcastic voice, I said I could care less. I was really annoyed and running late.

That night I got a call from the parents indicating that they saw me on TV. Apparently, they had a number of people that had very profound things to say and me at the end, with the lead-in, about how apathetic my generation had become. I now humbly apologize to my generation for causing us to be so branded.
82gradDLSdad
wifeisafurd said:

I lived close by as well, and on the 5th year anniversary, the news crews were outside where my walk to campus was interrupted by a reporter putting a microphone in my face. The reporter asked what I thought about the Hearst kidnapping, and in a rather sarcastic voice, I said I could care less. I was really annoyed and running late.

That night I got a call from the parents indicating that they saw me on TV. Apparently, they had a number of people that had very profound things to say and me at the end, with the lead-in, about how apathetic my generation had become. I now humbly apologize to my generation for causing us to be so branded.

As I've gotten older and stumbled upon all my new wordly 'wisdom' I now realize that I was in no position to ponder this stuff when I was younger. Going to a tough college, wondering how I would find my place in the world, starting a lifelong relationship with my girl, starting a family, buying a house, building a career, etc. These dominated my thoughts, not politics, daily news, etc. I try to keep that in mind when I'm forming opinions on folks younger than me.
#mytwocents.
JSC 76
wifeisafurd said:

The day of the kidnapping a local news guy put a microphone in my face and asked what the student reaction was. I kinda shrugged and said ... it varies. Didn't make the news.
wifeisafurd
82gradDLSdad said:

wifeisafurd said:

As I've gotten older and stumbled upon all my new wordly 'wisdom' I now realize that I was in no position to ponder this stuff when I was younger. Going to a tough college, wondering how I would find my place in the world, starting a lifelong relationship with my girl, starting a family, buying a house, building a career, etc. These dominated my thoughts, not politics, daily news, etc. I try to keep that in mind when I'm forming opinions on folks younger than me.
#mytwocents.
thanks, I feel somewhat better, and I especially agree about drawing any conclusions on the younger generations.
NVBear78
bearister said:

Was she on Hillegas?
JimSox
wifeisafurd said:

Yes, you should apologize because you shouldn't have said you could care less. You should have said you could NOT care less. I myself could care less, but not a lot less. I was just annoyed at how much attention the story got. Everyone was going absolutely bonkers, nuts about it. Every reporter dying to get any kind of scoop, no matter how trivial. It was almost as if it was the Super Bowl or something. Rich people, Celebrities. Ugh.
bearister
NVBear78 said:

bearister said:

Was she on Hillegas?

She was shacked up with Steven Weed on Benvenue. Some SLA members may have lived on Hillegas at some point.

Apartment #4 at 2603 Benvenue Street in Berkeley, California:

bearister
82gradDLSdad said:

bearister said:

One of my few Cal memories is these streets are where I used to park almost every day when I commuted to school. The years were the exact same as those you mention. Maybe I was a suspect.

She got snatched 2/4/74. I was living at the corner of Channing and Warring at that time.
82gradDLSdad
bearister said:

82gradDLSdad said:

bearister said:

She got snatched 2/4/74. I was living at the corner of Channing and Warring at that time.

Oh. Whew. Not a suspect. I didn't start Cal until spring of 1977. I'm sure I parked around that building though. This was the neighborhood I could park in without time limits and still have a decent walk to the campus. Oh the memories.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.