Email to Carol Christ to partially fund a statue of Joe Starkey and a The Play video.

1,434 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by mbBear
Gobears49
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Email just sent to Carol Christ regarding my request to meeet with her to fund the the creation of a statue of Joe Starkey and a device, next to the statue, to continuously show The Play in an accompanying electronic device. A link to The Play is shown in full at the bottom of this email. The Play is the last colleege football play shown . Most of the others are a joke compared to intricacy of The Play.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
am a Cal 1971 graduate and was a Cal yell leader during Cal's 1970 football season, where I led many yells for Cal, including a call and response yell which lasted over a minute. I am a long time follower of most Cal sports, particularly football.

I recently emailed to you a request to meet with you to discuss my offer to fund a statue of Joe Starkey to create a statue of Joe Starkey, Cal's former football radio announcer, who called The Play, to be placed next to the current statue of Kevin Moen, who scored the winning touchdown of The Play against Stanford in 1982. I am willing to donate $40,000 to fund a portion of the costs o this project, I realize additional funds will be necessary to fund both new additions related to creating the new statue and the video of The Play, but I am confident Cal fans will donate the necessary funds, or close to them, to complete the two projects. I have no idea what it will cost.

It's not even close that any other college team's best football play is ranked close to #1, which Cal now rightly claims as the best college football play of all time, which is probably better than any pro football play as well. Most likely The Play will forever be ranked as #1. See the last play shown on the attached video, indicating Cal's The Play is ranked the top football play in college history. That is why Cal will surely be selected as a College GameDay pre-game show, televised shortly before a Cal game from Memorial once Cal puts up a statue of Joe Starkey along of a continuing video of Cal's The Play. Cal has never been a site of College Game Day, though I have read they were offered to be a host site of it, but turned it down. It would be a big deal if it was.

I am not sure, but it is likely Cal could be paid a substantial sum by ESPN to host College Game Day, which could be used to defray the cost of paying for the new statue and the electronics to broadcast The Play.

A video of The Play would be a huge draw to get many people (including Cal football future and current Cal players, plus Cal players from other sports), to visit the site next to Memorial to watch The Play, over and over again. See the attached link to this email. Cal's The Play is listed as the #1, the last one shown. It clearly is the most famous college football play in college history (and most likely including all pro football plays as well).

I am happy to answer any questions you maybe, either by phone or email. Cal AD Jim Knowlton could attend the meeting if he wants to. I have copied him on this emal. Let me know if you or anyone else would like to do so, as well. I have included his email address in this email.

I am looking forward to having someone from your Chancellor's office let me know when my meeting with you will occur or suggested times for it. Please let me know if you have any questions.

A link to the top 100 college footbal plays of all time is below. All the plays show are entertaining, but none are close to The Play, shown last, for many reasons.

75bear
I'd rather see a statue of Joe Roth, or Marshawn Lynch, or a number of other Cal luminaries over Joe Starkey.
SBGold
75bear said:

I'd rather see a statue of Joe Roth, or Marshawn Lynch, or a number of other Cal luminaries over Joe Starkey.
I'd rather see the money go to endow the NIL fund
CalBearinLA
If the Play hasn't attracted College Gameday by now...a statue or display will not change that. look at all the other schools that have gotten a visit from college gameday and didn't spend $$$ on a statue.

What will attract college gameday is a winning program. that $40k is better spent helping put a winning product on the field.
bluehenbear
No, just no.
tpender
Please no
bearister
75bear said:

I would donate to a statue of the sausage vendor that had his cart and $50 seized by University police after a game at CMS because he didn't have a permit.

He retired to Mexico a wealthy man as a result of a GoFundMe.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Alkiadt
CalBearinLA said:

If the Play hasn't attracted College Gameday by now...a statue or display will not change that. look at all the other schools that have gotten a visit from college gameday and didn't spend $$$ on a statue.

What will attract college gameday is a winning program. that $40k is better spent helping put a winning product on the field.

Don't even bother responding to this clown.
Gobears49
CalBearinLA said:

Any idea how much those schools got paid by ESPN for hosting College GameDahosey. I really have no idea on the payment terms, but perhaps those schools made a lot of money, before statue and electronic costs, which if true would make the event worthwhile.

Looking for estimates of what ESPN would pay in gross revenue to Cal.
Cal_79
Keep tilting at your windmill...
ColoradoBear
Is this for real?

No, seriously. Is this real?
flounder
Gobears49 said:

Email just sent to Carol Christ regarding my request to meeet with her to fund the the creation of a statue of Joe Starkey and a device, next to the statue, to continuously show The Play in an accompanying electronic device. A link to The Play is shown in full at the bottom of this email. The Play is the last colleege football play shown . Most of the others are a joke compared to intricacy of The Play.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
am a Cal 1971 graduate and was a Cal yell leader during Cal's 1970 football season, where I led many yells for Cal, including a call and response yell which lasted over a minute. I am a long time follower of most Cal sports, particularly football.

I recently emailed to you a request to meet with you to discuss my offer to fund a statue of Joe Starkey to create a statue of Joe Starkey, Cal's former football radio announcer, who called The Play, to be placed next to the current statue of Kevin Moen, who scored the winning touchdown of The Play against Stanford in 1982. I am willing to donate $40,000 to fund a portion of the costs o this project, I realize additional funds will be necessary to fund both new additions related to creating the new statue and the video of The Play, but I am confident Cal fans will donate the necessary funds, or close to them, to complete the two projects. I have no idea what it will cost.

It's not even close that any other college team's best football play is ranked close to #1, which Cal now rightly claims as the best college football play of all time, which is probably better than any pro football play as well. Most likely The Play will forever be ranked as #1. See the last play shown on the attached video, indicating Cal's The Play is ranked the top football play in college history. That is why Cal will surely be selected as a College GameDay pre-game show, televised shortly before a Cal game from Memorial once Cal puts up a statue of Joe Starkey along of a continuing video of Cal's The Play. Cal has never been a site of College Game Day, though I have read they were offered to be a host site of it, but turned it down. It would be a big deal if it was.

I am not sure, but it is likely Cal could be paid a substantial sum by ESPN to host College Game Day, which could be used to defray the cost of paying for the new statue and the electronics to broadcast The Play.

A video of The Play would be a huge draw to get many people (including Cal football future and current Cal players, plus Cal players from other sports), to visit the site next to Memorial to watch The Play, over and over again. See the attached link to this email. Cal's The Play is listed as the #1, the last one shown. It clearly is the most famous college football play in college history (and most likely including all pro football plays as well).

I am happy to answer any questions you maybe, either by phone or email. Cal AD Jim Knowlton could attend the meeting if he wants to. I have copied him on this emal. Let me know if you or anyone else would like to do so, as well. I have included his email address in this email.

I am looking forward to having someone from your Chancellor's office let me know when my meeting with you will occur or suggested times for it. Please let me know if you have any questions.

A link to the top 100 college footbal plays of all time is below. All the plays show are entertaining, but none are close to The Play, shown last, for many reasons.

this idea is wack, stop trying to push something that you saw basically no one else supported on your other post. the idea is as corny as starkey. no cal players are returning to watch a play from the early 80s on repeat.
bearister

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
socaliganbear
So this account is one long troll job.
ColoradoBear
socaliganbear said:

So this account is one long troll job.

The trolling seems strong with this one.
LessMilesMoreTedford
We already built a Play statue, tf we need one of Starkey for.
mbBear
Gobears49 said:

CalBearinLA said:

Any idea how much those schools got paid by ESPN for hosting College GameDahosey. I really have no idea on the payment terms, but perhaps those schools made a lot of money, before statue and electronic costs, which if true would make the event worthwhile.

Looking for estimates of what ESPN would pay in gross revenue to Cal.

there is no payment from ESPN.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.