Brett Johnson medically retires

901 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Bearly Clad
Econ141
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Wish him all the best and so sorry we couldn't see more of him.
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
59bear
It was pretty apparent in his somewhat limited action this past season that his various injuries had had a deleterious effect on his play.. Sad to see he was unable to make it all the way back but I hope he is able to get on with his life with a minimum of residual pain/disability.
BearBoarBlarney
I get so jaded by all the college coaching salary insanity, the transfer portal, and the NIL wild wild west landscape of college sports, and then I see things at the human level as exemplified by Brett Johnson's post today. Brett Johnson has been through so much at Cal, injuries stacked one on top of another, and he showed so much perseverance, guts, and fight to get up time and time again to pursue his goals.

I believe that the hard lessons and setbacks that Johnson has dealt with have made him incredibly resilient and strong-minded. While his exploits on the gridiron are now done, I fully expect to hear the name Brett Johnson mentioned in association with any number of other ventures and venues in the future. Hopefully one of those future ventures might include the word "Coach," because there is no one more qualified to teach young people about resilience in the face of adversity.

Proud of Brett Johnson, a true Golden Bear, someone who clearly cherished his time at Cal, and a guy who also took advantage of the Berkeley experience. You ran your own race, Brett, and kudos to you for that. Roll On You Bears!
Bearly Clad
Happy trails Brett! I can't think of anyone who battled more to give everything he had, and then some, to this program. He's been through so much and I know all Cal fans shared in a piece of his suffering and honestly felt for him. We all wanted to see him back on the field at full strength but it became increasingly clear that it just wasn't going to happen. He's making the right call not putting his body through any more trauma so he can one day play ball with his kids and live a happy pain-free life. We've seen too many athletes battle through and one day come to regret it after their playing days.

So I'm happy for Brett to make the right decision for himself long-term. We all came to know and love him through football but he has so much more to offer this world. No one can have anything but the utmost respect for him for going to hell and back for this team. He fought and gave more of himself to be there for his brothers on Saturdays than anyone I can ever remember. He left blood, sweat, and tears on the turf of Memorial Stadium and leaves a legacy of resilience the likes of which we may never see again.

Enjoy traveling over this next year and the peace of no longer having to put yourself through the pain of a life of football. You've done more than enough and you'll have success in whatever you choose to do in your life after football. Thank you sincerely for everything you've done for the school and team we all love. You are, and always will be, not Brett Johnson but BRETT JOHNSON to us. Once a Bear, always a Bear!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.