Still wish WSU's Patrick Chun was our AD

1,725 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Gobears49
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He has played a really rotten hand well, while getting paid less than half of what we pay Knowlton.

https://www.krem.com/article/sports/ncaa/wsu/pat-chun-wsu-in-good-position-collapse-of-pac-12/293-c548a55f-d91f-4804-a26f-3e5a487f890a?fbclid=IwAR1-q4978UfOr4uKGUkFMW0kBqLenYKlq7h6SfEnTu_JL6IveOFIXEgcLCA
01Bear
I'm pretty much in the ABK camp, Anybody But Knowlton.
bearsandgiants
Rich Lyons is in the short list for Chancellor, last I heard, and he understands the need to fill the stadiums with students for free. He will change the culture here and is a "cal guy." We should be pressing for him. I think the decision has likely already been made, though. I hope he's the one and that the announcement comes soon. With someone competent in charge of deciding what to do with JK, I feel confident in our future.
calumnus
bearsandgiants said:

Rich Lyons is in the short list for Chancellor, last I heard, and he understands the need to fill the stadiums with students for free. He will change the culture here and is a "cal guy." We should be pressing for him. I think the decision has likely already been made, though. I hope he's the one and that the announcement comes soon. With someone competent in charge of deciding what to do with JK, I feel confident in our future.

Lyons is an alum. Would be our first in decades. Might be an actual fan. Business, economics, entrepreneurship might better prepare one for navigating the rapidly changing world/market for college athletics than an expertise in Victorian literature.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Lyons_(business_professor)
bevans
I couldn't agree more, I hope if Knowlton is ever out, he is the #1 target.
95bears
calumnus said:

bearsandgiants said:

He is an alum. Would be our first in decades. Might be an actual fan. Business, economics, entrepreneurship might better prepare one for navigating the rapidly changing world/market for college athletics than an expertise in Victorian literature.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Lyons_(business_professor)
More importantly, someone needs to start running Cal a little more like a business. IMO it's not really a public entity anymore with the ridiculous drop in state funding over the last 20+ years. But it's saddled with sludge bureaucracy and many impediments to maintaining our status as an elite institution.

And on the OP topic, big fan of Chun.
calumnus
calbear80
01Bear said:

+1
Gobears49
calbear80 said:

01Bear said:

+1
A top priorithy for Knowlton, or anybody who succeeds him, is to somehow influence whoever decides which teams in the FBS, reportedly only twelve teams, will get in the FBS playoffs in 2024. As it acknowledged by most commentators, the ACC, which Cal is in, will only get two teams into the twelve team FBS playoffs next season. This result will make it very unlikely, that Cal could ever expect to get in. Based upon what I have read, Cal would need to win eleven of their twelve games next season, which I think, at least, is hardly likely.

I think this issue should be address immediately by Cal. Unfortunately, this is a conference matter, but there are no real conference teams now working with Cal on a conference wide basis, because there is no Pac Whatever Conference. Because of that, we need an athletic director with the experience and ability to lead that charge, AND RIGHT NOW. Will be sent to Chancellor Christ.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.