Attendance prediction for Davis game

1,144 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by Gobears49
Larno
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have no knowledge of how sales have gone for this game, nor have I seen any comments. I would guess based solely on prior years that the attendance will be around 36,000 announced and 25,000 actually in the stadium.
I sincerely hope that I am wrong and the attendance is much higher. Winning will bring in higher crowds - will it ever get back to the peak Tedford years? It would take a lot of winning and exciting teams to get back to that level, and circumstances (like having every game televised) have changed since then. And those complaining about the tarps in the south end zone may not remember, or know, that there were tarps in both end zones blocking off seats during much of the Tedford era.
Cal88
Mid-30K sounds about right.

One of the high watermarks of Cal football as a program was the attendance for the 2005 opener vs Sac State, 65K. CMS was packed.

https://calbears.com/news/2005/9/3/207742783.aspx
Golden One
Larno said:

I have no knowledge of how sales have gone for this game, nor have I seen any comments. I would guess based solely on prior years that the attendance will be around 36,000 announced and 25,000 actually in the stadium.
I sincerely hope that I am wrong and the attendance is much higher. Winning will bring in higher crowds - will it ever get back to the peak Tedford years? It would take a lot of winning and exciting teams to get back to that level, and circumstances (like having every game televised) have changed since then. And those complaining about the tarps in the south end zone may not remember, or know, that there were tarps in both end zones blocking off seats during much of the Tedford era.

I agree with 25,000 actual paid attendance, with an announced number of 32,000.
bear2034
In a post Covid world...23,000.
bearsandgiants
Cal88 said:

One of the high watermarks of Cal football as a program was the attendance for the 2005 opener vs Sac State, 65K. CMS was packed.

Oh man, reading that write up made me laugh so hard. Classic Cal in every way. Tedford thinking Longshore at 8-11 with a pick was having a great day was why he drove me nuts. He loved Nate despite his mediocrity and if killed us. 65k finally show up and ayoob goes 0-10! What memories
ClevelandBear
Cal88 said:

This quote is classic cal

"Lynch, who averaged 8.8 yards per carry last season as the backup to 2,000-yard rusher J.J. Arrington, finally got the chance to be the centerpiece of Cal's offense. Curiously, he spent most of the first half rushing straight up the middle with limited effectiveness."
72CalBear
Probably about the same as Stanfurd v TCU last night. Empty seats, 2/3 full? Labor Day weekend means students maybe at home? Families on the road? No one very excited about this team or UC Davis although the Aggies will bring plenty and give the Bears a solid game.
Bring back bottled beer and cigars at CMS. Should get us back in the Rose Bowl!
BearGreg
Staff
Cal will be lucky to get to 30k fans today. smh
TheFiatLux
It was a different time to be sure, but it wasn't "that" long ago. This is the crowd for our game against UCD in 2010. Just over 58K for that game (and it sure looked like more). We can get this back. Yes, we have to win, but there's no reason we can't get 50K people in for these games.

Gobears49
Made a mistake on my prior comment earlier today.

Attendance at an ESPN College GameDay game at Memorial should perhaps jump by up to 20,000. That should bring in perhaps an additonal $800,000 (20,000 additional fans x $40 per ticket).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.