Happy 100th birthday to Beverly Cleary Hall's namesake!

8,718 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by okaydo
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Beverly Cleary, UC Berkeley Class of 1938, was born on April 12, 1916 and is still going strong.(She met her husband, Clarence Cleary, while at Cal.)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverly_ClearyIn 1999, I was in attendance with Cleary herself when UC Berkeley officially renamed Unit 3's Haste-Channing dorm as "Beverly Cleary Hall." (I knew the student who fought so hard to get the name-change done.)Here's her 1938 Blue and Gold photo:
joe amos yaks
All the best beautiful Lady.
mbBear
okaydo;842676357 said:

Beverly Cleary, UC Berkeley Class of 1938, was born on April 12, 2016 and is still going strong.

(She met her husband, Clarence Cleary, while at Cal.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverly_Cleary

In 1999, I was in attendance with Cleary herself when UC Berkeley officially renamed Unit 3's Haste-Channing dorm as "Beverly Cleary Hall." (I knew the student who fought so hard to get the name-change done.)

Here's her 1938 Blue and Gold photo:

might want to fix her birth year...
MSaviolives
Went to school with her kids at Craigmont School in the Berkeley hills. She is a national treasure.
okaydo
mbBear;842676382 said:

might want to fix her birth year...

What's the problem? Today is April 12, 2116!
YamhillBear
Given my handle is Yamhillbear, I add my best birthday wishes to the "Girl from Yamhill"
CreditBear
Before the days of quick access to google, I got into an argument with my cousin regarding Beverly Cleary's alma mater. She stated that Cleary went to Washington and I corrected her and the debate went on for a bit. Turns out that Cal is the undergrad and UW was the grad school. Both schools "claim" her.
BearlyClad
Nice!
NYCGOBEARS
CreditBear;842676539 said:

Before the days of quick access to google, I got into an argument with my cousin regarding Beverly Cleary's alma mater. She stated that Cleary went to Washington and I corrected her and the debate went on for a bit. Turns out that Cal is the undergrad and UW was the grad school. Both schools "claim" her.

Ahhh... Those good ole pre internet days when you could really string along good bullsht.
6164bear
okaydo;842676416 said:

What's the problem? Today is April 12, 2116!

Time flies.
Rxrg09b
okaydo;842676357 said:

Beverly Cleary, UC Berkeley Class of 1938, was born on April 12, 1916 and is still going strong.(She met her husband, Clarence Cleary, while at Cal.)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverly_ClearyIn 1999, I was in attendance with Cleary herself when UC Berkeley officially renamed Unit 3's Haste-Channing dorm as "Beverly Cleary Hall." (I knew the student who fought so hard to get the name-change done.)Here's her 1938 Blue and Gold photo:

Had no idea she was a Cal grad - she was my first favorite author!
yoshibear
MSaviolives;842676393 said:

Went to school with her kids at Craigmont School in the Berkeley hills. She is a national treasure.

So did I.
okaydo
KoreAmBear
6164bear;842676555 said:

Time flies.

Yup time flies during investigations.
KoreAmBear
Rxrg09b;842676570 said:

Had no idea she was a Cal grad - she was my first favorite author!

Me too. My daughter read many of her books, and of course saw the movie, "Ramona and Beezus." What an amazing lady. Go Bears!
Fyght4Cal
I had no idea. Happy Birthday and Go Bears dear lady!
okaydo
Happy 101st birthday! (Keep in mind that Cal's last Rose Bowl victory happened a few months before her graduation.
okaydo

bear2034

Go Beezus!
Richard__Lee
okaydo said:

They should have named it Arsenio Hall or Hammer Hall, like the students of Haste-Channing wanted back in 1994-95.

Just sayin'.
You can’t spell NCAA without N-C-A-A.
Another Bear
Whoa...a co-oper to boot at Stebbins. Go Bears!
okaydo
Richard__Lee said:

okaydo said:

They should have named it Arsenio Hall or Hammer Hall, like the students of Haste-Channing wanted back in 1994-95.

Just sayin'.

Yeah, the administration put a ban on naming dorms after pop-culture icons after Beverly Hills 90210 fans successfully convinced them to name a dorm after Jason Priestley.

okaydo

okaydo

YamhillBear
YamhillBear wishes "The Girl from Yamhill" all the best! My favorite author from at least that period of my childhood!
okaydo
When I started this thread, Dykes was coming off a bowl victory, Goff was about to be drafted, it was 2 presidents ago and the pictures above worked.

dimitrig

Wait. So Beverly Clearly lived in Unit 3?

No, Stebbins!

Explains a lot about her books.

okaydo
dimitrig said:

Wait. So Beverly Clearly lived in Unit 3?

No, Stebbins!

Explains a lot about her books.

Beverly Cleary graduated in 1938.

Unit 3 was built around 1965.

In 1994, a 5th dorm opened across the street from Unit 3 that was part of the Unit 3 complex called Haste-Channing, named after the two streets that surrounded it. In 1999, a student succeeded in trying to get Haste-Channing renamed after Beverly Cleary. Cleary attended the renaming ceremony.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.