Lakers Trade D'Angelo.

19,092 Views | 134 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Unit2Sucks
Bear8
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like they're taking Ball at number 2. I'd prefer to see them take Josh Jackson from Kansas at small forward. Next year, Paul George and maybe we can give the Warriors a run for their money.
wifeisafurd
6bear6;842847797 said:

Looks like they're taking Ball at number 2. I'd prefer to see them take Josh Jackson from Kansas at small forward. Next year, Paul George and maybe we can give the Warriors a run for their money.

They also got a horrible contract off the books in dumping Mosgov, and rec'd another late 1st round draft pick (my guess is to be used for Rabb, who they apparently like). They also get a legit (albeit aging) center in Lopez. I imagine with Magic now calling the shots, it was inevitable Ball was going to the Lakers. Even with George, they need another very good free agent to compete with the Warriors. There is that much separation.
Unit2Sucks
Really depends on what the Ws can do to keep this team together but it's going to take more than then adding a few players to contend in the short term. Maybe in 5 years when the Ws core has aged and as Trump would say gets "tired of winning".
tequila4kapp
Anything that eliminates moves made by Jim Buss is a win. This does that x2. Also consider that Russell missed games with a knee injury that required platelet treatment, never a good thing for a 2nd year 21 year old NBA player.

They presumably will have a lineup that includes Ball, Clarkson, Ingrim, Randle and Lopez (age: 29, not old). Plus the young center, Nance and the two other 1st round picks this year (or George). That certainly gives them pieces and a legitimate thought of becoming relevant (baby steps. They are years away from challenging the W's)
LegoBear
Lopez is 29.
GB54
Cap space move. Dreaming of LeBron?
71Bear
The Clippers got Jerry West. That tells me everything I need to know about pro hoops in the Southland.

The Lakers are yesterday's news......
GMP
tequila4kapp;842847815 said:

Anything that eliminates moves made by Jim Buss is a win. This does that x2. Also consider that Russell missed games with a knee injury that required platelet treatment, never a good thing for a 2nd year 21 year old NBA player.

They presumably will have a lineup that includes Ball, Clarkson, Ingrim, Randle and Lopez (age: 20, not old). Plus the young center, Nance and the two other 1st round picks this year (or George). That certainly gives them pieces and a legitimate thought of becoming relevant (baby steps. They are years away from challenging the W's)

Lopez is an expiring. They don't give a crap about him. They did this to get rid of Mozgov. Russell was expendable, as they've decided he's not a star. This will give them roughly $70M in cap space for Summer 2018. Hello, LeBron and Paul George. Put them with the other young pieces and you have a title contender.

As a Laker hater, I will take a small sliver of joy in watching Kobe fans have to root for LeBron to pass him in titles.
wifeisafurd
grandmastapoop;842847834 said:

Lopez is an expiring. They don't give a crap about him. They did this to get rid of Mozgov. Russell was expendable, as they've decided he's not a star. This will give them roughly $70M in cap space for Summer 2018. Hello, LeBron and Paul George. Put them with the other young pieces and you have a title contender.

As a Laker hater, I will take a small sliver of joy in watching Kobe fans have to root for LeBron to pass him in titles.

I have seen the Lakers make this work and blow it with "dream teams." Does Ball run the team or James? Do James and George fit on the same team with somewhat similar games? If they are running and playing Warrior ball, maybe that doesn't matter, the ball gets spread around?
CALiforniALUM
wifeisafurd;842847836 said:

Does Ball run the team or James?

That is an easy question. The answer is LaVar!!! :rollinglaugh:
71Bear

Right city; wrong team. LeBron is heading to the Clippers after next season.
GMP
71Bear;842847843 said:

Right city; wrong team. LeBron is heading to the Clippers after next season.

Friendly wager says he does NOT head to LAC.
tequila4kapp
LegoBear;842847826 said:

Lopez is 29.

Correct, that was a typo.

I also agree they don't really care about Lopez. But he is good and will be a massive massive upgrade over what they have had at C in recent years. That means he will help the team be better now and they'll care more about him this time next year.
71Bear
West and James are tight - that is the thinking behind why a lot of the "experts" are saying James to the Clippers.

I hope James does come out to the Coast. It would be fun to see him play v. the Warriors more frequently than just twice a year plus the title series each year.

GMP - Yes, we can revisit this post next year.
Seogju
f the lakers.
wifeisafurd
grandmastapoop;842847844 said:

Friendly wager says he does NOT head to LAC.

yes, don't see the salary cap space for starters. Lot of expensive talent on the Clippers currently.
GMP
wifeisafurd;842847863 said:

yes, don't see the salary cap space for starters. Lot of expensive talent on the Clippers currently.

CP3 and Blake can opt out this summer and are unrestricted free agents next season. If they lose both either this year or next, they'll have lots of space. But if they do, they'd have no core talent to attract LeBron. http://www.spotrac.com/nba/los-angeles-clippers/yearly/cap/ - look at that awful roster after those two. I just do not see him going to LAC.

The only reason I have a hard time seeing LeBron actually going to L.A. is because he doesn't have time to wait for their young players to get better. He has to believe he can make them championship-caliber immediately. He turns 33 (!) early next season, and he's played so many minutes in his career. He has zero seasons to waste.
philbert
Paul, Griffin, and Redick can all leave this summer. There will be salary cap space available, but how will they replace players that leave? They have no young talent and limited draft picks to replace people that leave.
LethalFang
6bear6;842847797 said:

No way man. Patience and good fortune is still required. D'Angelo Russell is a necessary sacrifice to jettison Mozgov. Even in 2018-19 with Paul George, you will need Brandon Ingram to develop into an all-star, Lonzo Ball to become everything he's hyped up to be, and Jerome Randle to become a better defender. That will give you a exciting team, but still not a serious contender. That's going to require another big-time free agent.
By then, you may need to contend with Philly, Boston, and other teams who managed to stay patient and slowly build.

Staying patient is key. Lakers need to acquire and build plenty of pieces before contending for championship again.
Bear19
"We"? For an LA team?
Bear8
LethalFang;842847868 said:

No way man. Patience and good fortune is still required. D'Angelo Russell is a necessary sacrifice to jettison Mozgov. Even in 2018-19 with Paul George, you will need Brandon Ingram to develop into an all-star, Lonzo Ball to become everything he's hyped up to be, and Jerome Randle to become a better defender. That will give you a exciting team, but still not a serious contender. That's going to require another big-time free agent.
By then, you may need to contend with Philly, Boston, and other teams who managed to stay patient and slowly build.

Staying patient is key. Lakers need to acquire and build plenty of pieces before contending for championship again.

That's Julius Randal. Jerome played for some college team or other...
rollonyoubears
THIS conversation is totally OT. At least move it to the Men's Basketball Forum. And I agree with Bear19. We? Not everyone is a LA transplant in love with the Lakers of yesteryear. I also agree with the poster who said 'F the Lakers'. And no, I'm not a Warriors fan either. I root for the Spurs.
Beardog26
rollonyoubears;842847882 said:

THIS conversation is totally OT. At least move it to the Men's Basketball Forum. And I agree with Bear19. We? Not everyone is a LA transplant in love with the Lakers of yesteryear. I also agree with the poster who said 'F the Lakers'. And no, I'm not a Warriors fan either. I root for the Spurs.

So OT threads on politics, food, books, and Phd content in water are permitted but a thread on the Lakers is not because it is a team from Los Angeles? Butt hurt much? Perhaps try not opening the thread.
Unit2Sucks
+1 BD26. I am not a lakers fan (would be fair to classify me as a hater) but this thread seems as reasonable as any other OT thread on the board. Plus we even got a Jerome Randle reference!

Lakers are in an interesting spot. Proud franchise with a ton of championships but one of the worst teams in basketball right now and their fans are looking for more chips and not just playoff appearances. Seems like a pretty big uphill battle.
UrsaMajor
My guess is that West will blow up the Clippers; he's likely to want to keep Paul and dump Griffin. If the rumors about LeBron being tight with West, I can see him trying to build a super team with the Clips. It's also been rumored that his wife and kids are planning to live full-time in LA now.

As for the Lakers, they're pinning a lot on Lonzo Ball being as good as his father says--or at least nearly. As good as he was at UCLA, he has some holes in his game, and if the transition to the NBA takes longer than he wants, the Lakers aren't likely to be a good destination for LeBron, since as pointed out by other posters, he's not getting any younger.
tequila4kapp
Beardog26;842847903 said:

So OT threads on politics, food, books, and Phd content in water are permitted but a thread on the Lakers is not because it is a team from Los Angeles? Butt hurt much? Perhaps try not opening the thread.

+1
LethalFang
6bear6;842847876 said:

That's Julius Randal. Jerome played for some college team or other...

I was wondering how he grew a foot after leaving us......
85Bear
LethalFang;842848052 said:

I was wondering how he grew a foot after leaving us......

He has THREE feet now?!? :rimshot
rollonyoubears
Beardog26;842847903 said:

Not permitted? Not what I said. I said it was 'OT', so the OP should have been titled: 'OT: Lakers Trade D'Angelo'. This is a public forum, so anything goes, including my opening the thread, reading it, deciding it's OT and formulating an opinion that it should at least been posted in the men's (or women's) basketball forum. Butt hurt? Not really. Just don't give a sh#t about the Lakers. I'm sure a lot of others here don't either.
Beardog26
rollonyoubears;842848113 said:

Not permitted? Not what I said. I said it was 'OT', so the OP should have been titled: 'OT: Lakers Trade D'Angelo'. This is a public forum, so anything goes, including my opening the thread, reading it, deciding it's OT and formulating an opinion that it should at least been posted in the men's (or women's) basketball forum. Butt hurt? Not really. Just don't give a sh#t about the Lakers. I'm sure a lot of others here don't either.

And I'm sure a lot of people don't give a sht about many of the other OT threads you don't seem to have a problem with. As I said, try not opening the thread if you're not interested and let those that are engage as they wish. Not sure why you came back here with so little interest.
Big C
Beardog26;842848124 said:

And I'm sure a lot of people don't give a sh•t about many of the other OT threads you don't seem to have a problem with. As I said, try not opening the thread if you're not interested and let those that are engage as they wish. Not sure why you came back here with so little interest.

My problem with this thread is that it clogged up the board and made it too hard to get to all of the Cal Football threads.

Oh, wait...
BearNecessities
Apparently no thread for Lonzo
NYCGOBEARS
BearNecessities;842848273 said:

Apparently no thread for Lonzo

Fuclonzo
okaydo
Lonzo Ball once played in a tourney at my high school.

As such, I've decided to become a supporter of him and his dad, Lavar Burton Ball and their Big Baller Bran. Their shoes should be arriving next week.

And I've decided to rejoin the Los Angeles Lakers fandom after 2-1/2 decades.

[video=youtube;rqrposBExeI][/video]
okaydo
This dude that I went to junior high with would be so proud that I'm a Lakers fan again.

Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.