Idaho State Game Cost

4,005 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Valleyblue
socaliganbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
According to the Chron, we're paying Idaho State 625k for this Saturday's game. Would be cool if we could keep that money in-state, OR, bring other programs like Grambling.
FuzzyWuzzy
socaliganbear said:

According to the Chron, we're paying Idaho State 625k for this Saturday's game. Would be cool if we could keep that money in-state, OR, bring other programs like Grambling.
+1. For a "C" game, UC Davis, Cal Poly, Sac State, SJSU would all love a shot at us, and we should give it to them. We can probably pay a nor cal team a bit less due to lower travel expense.

We'll beat those teams almost without exception but if we get beat, we get beat. It doesn't look any better if we lose to an out of state FCS team. And a loss to an in state team wouldn't hurt our recruiting against those teams.

My one disqualifying factor would be a team against which a win does not count toward bowl eligibility. There are a few new FCS teams who might be ramping up and do not offer the requisite number of scholarships. We need every bowl-eligible win we can get.
okaydo
socaliganbear said:

https://www.gopoly.com/sports/fball/index
B.A. Bearacus
touchdownbears43
This is a long standing common practice for big D1 programs to pay these smaller regional programs a larger payout. Don't agree with it but yah...
socaliganbear
touchdownbears43 said:

This is a long standing common practice for big D1 programs to pay these smaller regional programs a larger payout. Don't agree with it but yah...
Yeah, that's not news. More so wondering if we should keep the money in-state and play Sac State, Cal Poly, and Davis on something of a semi rotation. Rather than bringing in Southern Utah or Idaho State. If no one is going to care about the C game, I'd try to keep within the CA schools as much as possible.
calumnus
socaliganbear said:

touchdownbears43 said:

Yeah, that's not news. More so wondering if we should keep the money in-state and play Sac State, Cal Poly, and Davis on something of a semi rotation. Rather than bringing in Southern Utah or Idaho State. If no one is going to care about the C game, I'd try to keep within the CA schools as much as possible.

Agree 100% plus Davis and Cal have historic ties and transportation costs are low (bus). There is train service, it is drivable, early in the school year and Davis students could be enticed to visit for a big UC event: most have friends at Cal.

As a Cal fundraising event, Davis profs could give a lecture on oenology with tastings....maybe a competition between wineries with Cal ties and Davis ties?

Finally, if the two staffs remain on good terms, the best Davis players can look at transferring...and Cal reserves who want playing time (and a good education) can transfer to Davis...

calbear80
I like it that we have scheduled Idaho State. I think it is good for Cal to play schools other than those we know and have played against (remember, we play against UC Davis, Sac State, Cal Poly SLO and SJSU in other sports pretty regularly). I will be at the game this Saturday.

Full Disclosure: Maybe I am biased because I have been to Pocatello at least 30 times.

Go Bears!
wifeisafurd
I suggest we play as many power 5 out of conference games as we can. What is the winning streak now?
FuzzyWuzzy
calumnus said:

socaliganbear said:

touchdownbears43 said:

Agree 100% plus Davis and Cal have historic ties and transportation costs are low (bus). There is train service, it is drivable, early in the school year and Davis students could be enticed to visit for a big UC event: most have friends at Cal.

As a Cal fundraising event, Davis profs could give a lecture on oenology with tastings....maybe a competition between wineries with Cal ties and Davis ties?

Finally, if the two staffs remain on good terms, the best Davis players can look at transferring...and Cal reserves who want playing time (and a good education) can transfer to Davis...

Apologies, the original post here was unreasonably b*tchy. I retract and apologize! I agree we should schedule UCD and other Nor Cal Fcs teams rather than an OOS Fcs team.
Big C
Playing the Bengals will help grow our profile in Idaho. Hopefully we can start to build a recruiting pipeline to that fertile region.
KoreAmBear
Big C said:

Playing the Bengals will help grow our profile in Idaho. Hopefully we can start to build a recruiting pipeline to that fertile region.

If not the Bay Area, Pocatello and Moscow?
82gradDLSdad
KoreAmBear said:

Big C said:

If not the Bay Area, Pocatello and Moscow?

Washington St. has Moscow locked down with respect to recruiting their yearly high school football player.
Lomiton
Daltoso is a Boise kid, Moos came from Pullman-Moscow. That said, the fact that ISU was on the Cal home schedule probably hasn't the heaviest factor in their joining the Bear program.

(Insert wink emoji here)
bluehenbear
Where did Chad Hansen transfer from?
NYCGOBEARS
bluehenbear said:

Idaho
HighlandDutch
bluehenbear said:

Idaho State. https://isubengals.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3585
NYCGOBEARS
HighlandDutch said:

bluehenbear said:

Idaho State. https://isubengals.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3585

My bad. Good catch.
bear2034
wifeisafurd said:

I suggest we play as many power 5 out of conference games as we can. What is the winning streak now?
6 in a row.

2014: @Northwestern
2015: @Texas
2016: vs. Texas
2017: @North Carolina
2017: vs. Ole Miss
2018: vs. North Carolina.
Valleyblue
I don't have a problem with Idaho State. I agree that it's good to have different teams from other regions on occasion. We have played UC Davis, San Jose State, Sac State. But a little variety provides interest. It also is a scheduling issue, who has open dates. It's likely that they look at who's available and select the best possible C team. I would guess that they schedule the A and B teams first, then find the best C for the available date.

Probably Idaho State was the best available considering a number fo factors.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.