OT: Something To Chew On.

1,954 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ColoradoBear
Bear8
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The older I get the less clear are the depictions on our mini-trons at CMS. I imagine if we were to install Rose Bowl size screens on the northside of the stadium the Panoramic people would run quickly to Superior Court and seek to enjoin its usage during games. But it seems to me if a larger screen were erected on the south end no such disturbances could be alleged.

A little research disclosed that the 105,000 person Rose Bowl has a huge screen that's 30 feet high and 77 feet in width. CMS only holds maximum 63,000 and its not as cavernous as the Rose Bowl and apparently 60% the size. Engineers out there, is it safe to say we could then install a screen 60% the size of the one in Pasadena in order to achieve the same effect? Is that a fair assessment?

It seems to me our screens are crammed with time out info, score info, down info, and team names. The font has to be adjusted to fit the size of the screen making it more difficult to read. Likewise, replays can often be difficult to decipher. Using the Rose Bowl screen as an example and assuming CMS is roughly 60% the size, would a screen 18 feet high and 46 feet wide be an appropriate for us? Wouldn't a newly erected mega-tron enhance the football experience?
bear2034
These Panoramic Hill people don't even want Cal to build sand volleyball courts at Clark Kerr.
packawana
In terms of the letter sizes I somewhat agree though I wouldn't be surprised if these are discomforts amplified with age.
Sebastabear
Unfortunately I'm pretty sure the idiot settlement stops us from installing something in either end zone. Stuck with that until 2025 I think.
Bear8
Sebast, I don't recall anything related to the mini-trons, but certainly to concerts and the like. Of course, you are closer to it than me. What objection could they have to erecting something on the southside of CMS that faces away from Panoramic?
Blueblood

It would be a lot cheaper if
you saw a good opthmol...
an opiethal...you know...eye
doctor. I did and now I have
no complaints!
Bear8
BB, I'm not blind, just nearsighted. Our mini-trons are just plain inadequate. Creation of something along the lines I suggest would, in my opinion, really enhance Cal football. It might also attract a top recruit if he can see himself scoring and being replayed on the big screen. Stroke that ego...
calumnus
I thought this was about a plan to sell edibles at CMS.
Sebastabear
Bear8 said:

Sebast, I don't recall anything related to the mini-trons, but certainly to concerts and the like. Of course, you are closer to it than me. What objection could they have to erecting something on the southside of CMS that faces away from Panoramic?
Yeah it's in there. As to "why", they objected because they are a**holes who moved in next to a 100 year old football stadium and then expressed shock and dismay that it exists.
bearister
Blueblood said:

It would be a lot cheaper if
you saw a good opthmol...
an opiethal...you know...eye
doctor. I did and now I have
no complaints!

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Chabbear
I use binoculars to watch the minitron. That way I can see
ColoradoBear
Given that we don't sell out games and row 74 seats in the end zone are in low demand, I wonder if exploring keeping the profile above the stadium rim the same and carving out some rows to extend the scoreboards downward might be a solution.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.