Berkeley Statement re: Admission Scandal

5,089 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 77Bear
socaliganbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?

At least one kid might lose his diploma. . .
sp4149
The bigger (numerically) portion of this admissions scandal has been the fraudulent test scores not the bribery or 'donations' offenses. For the Feds the criminality seems to have been deducting donations to a questionable charity as tax fraud. I wouldn't expect the Feds to make a case on the validity of degrees earned as the result of the deceit. The colleges will have to make that decision themselves.

FWIW I find it hard to believe that only one applicant during this time period submitted 'fraudulent' test scores to Cal. Cal will be very fortunate if only one was admitted. Given the small sample released by the Feds, 25 or more admissions total could be expected.
wifeisafurd
"Its academic profile & competitive admissions process fits the profile for the type of school targeted."

Is that short for "hey, we should have been targeted, we are elite too?"
Blueblood
socaliganbear said:

OMG, I forgot!

"Uhh, sir, if you'll remember the
University of California did make
one exception...the Blueblood
admission case. His mother made
a very lucrative donation to you
know who."
socaliganbear
Probably more like : we matriculated someone in this scam so we are now going to launch 10 committees to look into this issueZ
golden sloth
Blueblood said:

socaliganbear said:

OMG, I forgot!

"Uhh, sir, if you'll remember the
University of California did make
one exception...the Blueblood
admission case. His mother made
a very lucrative donation to you
know who."
The Mountain West Conference?
Blueblood
The MWC is clean, not like the so-called elite schools! I mean, if you were wealthy, would you spend thousands of pasos to get your kid into Wyoming ....Fresno State....or......?
Bobodeluxe
Wyoming in the winter is the bomb for cross country skiing.
Another Bear
More cows than people in Wyoming, yet the same number of senators.
Peanut Gallery Consultant
Grandours
The fact that we aren't winning in the high profile sports nor have the attractive game day experience may have helped us avoid the "applicants" who prefer 'SC type schools.
BGolden
Another Bear said:

Just the way we like it.

Wyoming is 3/4 the size of California and yet has 52 less representatives.
XXXBEAR
Translation:

We have many foreign students who when they get here do not exhibit the same level of English which they demonstrated when they "took" the SAT exam. (But we can charge them extra so we hope it's OK).
Bobodeluxe
XXXBEAR said:

Translation:

We have many foreign students who when they get here do not exhibit the same level of English which they demonstrated when they "took" the SAT exam. (But we can charge them extra so we hope it's OK).
Yes, but you know their gpa's were honest.
Rushinbear
wifeisafurd said:

"Its academic profile & competitive admissions process fits the profile for the type of school targeted."

Is that short for "hey, we should have been targeted, we are elite too?"
These kids don't want any part of Cal. They know they'd actually have to do the work.
HungryCalBear
So sick hearing that Cal is also involved:

https://abc7news.com/education/uc-berkeley-named-in-college-admissions-scandal/5196483/
socaliganbear
HungryCalBear said:

https://abc7news.com/education/uc-berkeley-named-in-college-admissions-scandal/5196483/
Why? Someone lied about their SATs, the school had no participation in it.
sp4149
HungryCalBear said:

Cal assumes that the test scores submitted by the testing company are legit, they have no way of recomputing. Once they are notified of cases of fraudulent tests, then they have to take action.

The majority of the scandal is fraudulent test taking, outside of the colleges' control. The smaller, big money portion involved bribing college coaches and administrators. So far Cal does not appear to be involved. Remember this is the tip of the iceburg, less than 5% of the known instances have been made public.
BearGoggles
sp4149 said:

HungryCalBear said:

Cal assumes that the test scores submitted by the testing company are legit, they have no way of recomputing. Once they are notified of cases of fraudulent tests, then they have to take action.

The majority of the scandal is fraudulent test taking, outside of the colleges' control. The smaller, big money portion involved bribing college coaches and administrators. So far Cal does not appear to be involved. Remember this is the tip of the iceburg, less than 5% of the known instances have been made public.

That is an awful article. Berkeley is "named" in the scandal? If anything, Cal is a victim of fraud UNLESS there is some indication that the student was not worthy of being on the crew team AND a donation was made to obtain a spot. Total non-story to this point.

HungryCalBear
BearGoggles said:

sp4149 said:

HungryCalBear said:

That is an awful article. Berkeley is "named" in the scandal? If anything, Cal is a victim of fraud UNLESS there is some indication that the student was not worthy of being on the crew team AND a donation was made to obtain a spot. Total non-story to this point.

Maybe I read the article too fast, but it did mention the student of interest was a member of the men rowing team. Didn't say whether he was a legit athlete or fake like the other cases.
Bear19
BGolden said:

Another Bear said:

Just the way we like it.

Wyoming is 3/4 the size of California and yet has 52 less representatives.
Yes, absolutely, let's add more Congresspeople to represent Wyoming's dirt.
calbearinamaze
Seems that whatever went on (if anything) with Jordan Sidoo wasn't exactly a
closely-held secret

https://theprovince.com/sports/high-school/adversity-award-jordan-sidoo

I'll accept that CAL did something wrong...if proven....but.....

This, of course, is related to the fact that former CAL rower Gregory Peck did not not graduate.
If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band
Bear19
HungryCalBear said:

I have the opposite reaction: FINALLY, someone cheated to get into Cal.

I was insulted that people were cheating to get into "elite schools, including UCLA, the University of Southern California, Stanford, Yale and Georgetown" (LA Times)

What is so "elite" about uc LA or u$c? The only kids from my HS who went to those two schools were the ones who got rejected by Cal & Furd.

It's time u$c goes back to paying off the families of 5-star football players, like in the good old days, instead of this nonsense. The punishment for these cheating families should be that they have to send their kids to uc LA or u$c.
calbearinamaze
(continuation....sort of)

I really don't care if it's CAL, UNLV or the University of Southeastern North Dakota,,,,

the ABC coverage both video and written might get an F+ at U$C.
BearGoggles
BEARUPINDC said:

closely-held secret

This, of course, is related to the fact that former CAL rower Gregory Peck did not not graduate.

We know he cheated on the exam. That's on Sidoo.

Beyond that, it is pretty simple set of questions: (i) was Sidoo given admissions preference due to crew; and (ii) if so, was that justified based on his crew talents, or did Cal directly or indirectly receive some sort of donation to garner him the admission help. At this point, there is no evidence that he received improper admissions preferences from Cal - full stop. Unless/until there is, Cal is a victim of his fraud.
MugsVanSant
One Cal student will NOT lose his diploma. Being properly admitted is not a criteria for any degree program that I am aware of. The criteria consists exclusively of passing designated coursework and/or thesis writing. The fact that a student may have cheated on the SAT etc has nothing to do with the requirements for a degree. Furthermore, there are no laws or regulations that provide for invalidating any degree.
calbearinamaze
BearGoggles said:

BEARUPINDC said:

closely-held secret

We know he cheated on the exam. That's on Sidoo.

Beyond that, it is pretty simple set of questions: (i) was Sidoo given admissions preference due to crew; and (ii) if so, was that justified based on his crew talents, or did Cal directly or indirectly receive some sort of donation to garner him the admission help. At this point, there is no evidence that he received improper admissions preferences from Cal - full stop. Unless/until there is, Cal is a victim of his fraud.
Thank you being clear.

It's been a long day....maybe it's just me, but I find the article harder-than-need-be to understand.

"Court documents indicate Sidoo paid $200,000 for someone to take the SAT for his sons in 2011 and 2012"

Why do I have to guess:
1. that it's $200,000 covering both sons, rather than $200,000 apiece?.
2. that it's the same "someone" in 2011and 2012? or not?
77Bear
College admissions have long been based on criteria other than academic merit. Colleges hide behind their excuse of "holistic" criteria which means they can admit whomever they want based on their own political or social criteria, whether the applicant is academically qualified or not.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.