1998 Cal vs USC game

3,397 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 71Bear
BearOnABike
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone have a recording of the 1998 Cal vs USC game? I would love to see that game again as it has a special significance for myself and a buddy of mine. I can't find it on Youtube unfortunately.
blungld
BearOnABike said:

"...special significance for myself and a buddy of mine...
First kiss?

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
CannonBlast
BearOnABike said:

Does anyone have a recording of the 1998 Cal vs USC game? I would love to see that game again as it has a special significance for myself and a buddy of mine. I can't find it on Youtube unfortunately.

I don't think that game was televised.
peterprescott
TandemBear
I'm just here to say, "I approve of your screen name, BearOnABike!"

(Sorry, don't have the '98 game.)
peterprescott
I remember attending the Justin Vedder come back win in LA....what a day. The only reason we won this game was a stupid cheap shot penalty in the back of a Cal defender who was jogging downfield with no chance to tackle Petros Papidakis who had broken free for the touchdown. The touchdown was called back and CAL slowly worked its way back for a slim victory. As a recall, we stuck the CAL flag at midfield after the game. All of the USC fans had already run to their cars to avoid eye contact with anyone in Blue or Gold so they didn't even notice.
71Bear
CannonBlast said:

BearOnABike said:

I don't think that game was televised.
It was on TV. They had a great camera angle on the game deciding clip.

This game is a great reminder of the importance of timing. In the recent past, Cal has been unable to time their best seasons with SC's worst. Sadly, Cal's best came during the Carroll years.
BearOnABike
lol, no. It was where the Peanut was revealed to us. It's a long story that we are working on compiling.
BearOnABike
It was the only memorable win that year. I don't think Oklahoma was very good back then. Per Wikipedia, the game was on FSNBA, which is Fox Sport Bay Area I believe.
chalcidbear

I have a copy of the game on VHS. Regretfully, I appear to be congenitally technologically-challenged when it comes to transferring the video to any other medium.

If you can do so, I'd be happy to lend you the tape (I live in north Oakland).

-Bob Zuparko
TomBear
If you have access to Pac 12 Network, there's a fairly good chance it will show up on a rebroadcast, especially the week of the $C game. Even better, sometimes the network broadcasts past games in a video ratio that can be recorded on a normal DVR. That means that you'll have no loss of video on the outside "margins".

If no one can help you here, take a look at the schedule on a regular basis and I'm pretty confident you'll find it rebroadcast sometime during the next 9-10 months.
JSC 76
chalcidbear said:

I have a copy of the game on VHS. Regretfully, I appear to be congenitally technologically-challenged when it comes to transferring the video to any other medium.

If you can do so, I'd be happy to lend you the tape (I live in north Oakland).

-Bob Zuparko
Costco would be happy to do it for you. Drop off tape, give them $10, pick up DVD a few days later. (I recently converted 10 years worth of home movie VHS tapes)
dajo9
That was a fun game. One of 4 games I have attended since I graduated in 1995.
American Vermin
burritos
Dameane Douglas was an absolute beast that day. I think he tied a single game reception record for Cal that day.
71Bear
burritos said:

Dameane Douglas was an absolute beast that day. I think he tied a single game reception record for Cal that day.
Douglas still holds the record for most receptions in a season (100) that he set that year.

Most receptions in a game? The current record is 16 (set by GMac in the 2003 Big Game).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.