TCU Game Just Got a Lot Harder... Maybe...

3,493 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by CalFan777
CalFan777
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TCU just signed IMO easily the best running back in the 2020 class, Zachary Evans, whose recruitment was... interesting... He is so talented that I can't imagine him not playing in our game with TCU. He is a bigger back with both elite burst and top speed, as well as the agility of a high level cornerback.
CalFan777
He was ranked the #1 player in the class before being downgraded for character concerns. His tape shows a better pro prospect than Najee Harris was... He could have an Adrian Peterson-type impact for TCU this year.
NVBear78
What is the back story? Thanks for the heads up.
CalFan777
I didn't follow the story closely but it is a long one. He was set to go to Georgia but they dropped him. He had some problems with his high school coaches and got benched. He was rumored to be going to multiple big name schools in the South but it always fell through.
Blueblood
NVBear78 said:

The "back story" is very foggy, mainly because Zach, a ***** RB, doesn't talk much.

It seems the above story revolves around ongoing discord between Zach and his high school football coach. Such discord has resulted in Zack's suspension from the team on a couple of occasions and missed playing in two games. The most igregious suspension stems from Zach's refusal to give up his cell phone per his coach's demand. What he did with his cell phone is unknown but his coach suspended him from playing in their Texas state championship game.

It is conjectured that whatever he did involving his cell phone was pretty bad. But, by the same token, no one has mentioned that such incident is related to any criminal or specific anti-social activities.

It should be noted that at the Under Armour-all star game he gave a public apology to "all" his coaches. He has claimed also to be a "good kid" contrary growing unsupported negative conjecture.

While the above played out, he apparently has mucked up his recruiting by signing an early LOI with Georgia which pissed off some of the major schools that were recruiting him. He apparently wants to go to another SEC school but their rules say he'll have sit out a year because he signed the previous LOI. Zack apparently wanted now to go to LSU or Alabama or TexasA&M. Also, the CoVid 19 situation stopped him taking further recruiting trips.....so.....

TCU must have made the sign of the cross because they just simply open their door and he walked in......TCU must have a very understanding recruitor.
Oski87
So does that mean he sits out the year?
CalFan777
No. He can play/
Rushinbear
Oski87 said:

good question. did he sign the early loi during a signing period? if not, he and GA may have some 'splainin' to do and he may be ruled out for that reason. If so, he should be out for a year.

Herewith a slimy side of college recruiting.
Blueblood
Rushinbear said:

Oski87 said:

good question. did he sign the early loi during a signing period? if not, he and GA may have some 'splainin' to do and he may be ruled out for that reason. If so, he should be out for a year.

Georgia released Evans from his national letter of intent,

He's okay to play ifthere is a football season to play in??????
Ifthere is a season, Cal might not go 3-0 in its OOC games.
Rushinbear
Blueblood said:

Rushinbear said:

Oski87 said:

You don't release a talent like this without serious reservations. And, Evans wouldn't be the first 5* to struggle at the college level, at least initially. DCs are no dummies in many cases.
CalFan777
TCU's main problem has been a lack of consistency on offense. Patterson almost always fields a good defense. This isn't as bad as KJ Costello transferring there, but this is a dynamic running back who can score points even with bad QB play (or even a bad OL). His highlight tape often shows him bursting through "holes" at the line where he is really running through two arm tacklers... and then scoring because no one can catch him.
CalFan777
It makes the game harder not a sure loss. Talent wise he will be the best back we see this year. Or saw last year. You get the drift.
71Bear
Rushinbear said:

Blueblood said:

Rushinbear said:

Oski87 said:

You don't release a talent like this without serious reservations. And, Evans wouldn't be the first 5* to struggle at the college level, at least initially. DCs are no dummies in many cases.
I agree. The kid has some issues. Obviously, TCU believes they can work with him regarding his problems. Since a number of schools were willing to take a chance, it is evident that the Frogs were not the only one's who believe he is worth the risk. We shall see.....
89Bear
He will be a true frosh running back. I'm sure he is talented. I am also sure the team is not terrified of a true frosh running back beating them. MIGHT make the game a bit tougher. Maybe makes the defense more fired up.
upsetof86
89Bear said:

He will be a true frosh running back. I'm sure he is talented. I am also sure the team is not terrified of a true frosh running back beating them. MIGHT make the game a bit tougher. Maybe makes the defense more fired up.

Bring it on.

wifeisafurd
89Bear said:

Mr. Lynch look pretty damn terrifying as a frosh. I'm not saying he is that good - but if he is, the game just got a lot harder.
89Bear
wifeisafurd said:

89Bear said:

Mr. Lynch look pretty damn terrifying as a frosh. I'm not saying he is that good - but if he is, the game just got a lot harder.
His first college game, on the road, against a Wilcox, TD, Sirmon defense? Against a Wilcox team with veteran players, who are looking for a breakout season to really set the program on a special path? I'll take the Bears, thank you!! He would have to run for 250 yards and 4 TD's...and even that might not be enough.
concernedparent
CalFan777 said:

It makes the game harder not a sure loss. Talent wise he will be the best back we see this year. Or saw last year. You get the drift.
Doubt it. Unless he's the next Fournette, I don't think any freshman running back is as good as Verdell, Zack Moss, or Benjamin.
heartofthebear
How's TCUs OL?
GMP
Blueblood said:

NVBear78 said:

The "back story" is very foggy, mainly because Zach, a ***** RB, doesn't talk much.

It seems the above story revolves around ongoing discord between Zach and his high school football coach. Such discord has resulted in Zack's suspension from the team on a couple of occasions and missed playing in two games. The most igregious suspension stems from Zach's refusal to give up his cell phone per his coach's demand. What he did with his cell phone is unknown but his coach suspended him from playing in their Texas state championship game.

It is conjectured that whatever he did involving his cell phone was pretty bad. But, by the same token, no one has mentioned that such incident is related to any criminal or specific anti-social activities.

It should be noted that at the Under Armour-all star game he gave a public apology to "all" his coaches. He has claimed also to be a "good kid" contrary growing unsupported negative conjecture.

While the above played out, he apparently has mucked up his recruiting by signing an early LOI with Georgia which pissed off some of the major schools that were recruiting him. He apparently wants to go to another SEC school but their rules say he'll have sit out a year because he signed the previous LOI. Zack apparently wanted now to go to LSU or Alabama or TexasA&M. Also, the CoVid 19 situation stopped him taking further recruiting trips.....so.....

TCU must have made the sign of the cross because they just simply open their door and he walked in......TCU must have a very understanding recruitor.

This is not correct. He didn't apologize to "all" his coaches. He apologized to "all my college coaches."

His high school coaches are conspicuously absent.
Blueblood
GMP said:

Blueblood said:

NVBear78 said:

This is not correct. He didn't apologize to "all" his coaches. He apologized to "all my college coaches."

His high school coaches are conspicuously absent.
I stand corrected, but in furtherance of his character, he did make an apology for his squirrely recruiting postures.

But, getting back to what is of more import to this thread, TCU will most likely attack Cal with a running game
in that besides ***** 5-11, 195 Jake the HornFrogs have a red shirt **** 5-10, 195 RB Barlow to go along with him.
CalFan777
concernedparent said:

CalFan777 said:

Doubt it. Unless he's the next Fournette, I don't think any freshman running back is as good as Verdell, Zack Moss, or Benjamin.
He isn't a fully grown man like Fournette was coming out of high school (he looked like an NFL running back as a 17 year old). That is part of why I am a little higher on him than some analysts: he isn't a finished product yet. Everyone had him as a five star before his character concerns couldn't be ignored.

I could be wrong, but I was much more impressed with his highlights than the five star backs from Fresno and Arizona in the class. I think he is on another level from them. And I think he is going to keep getting better as he gains weight and strength.
GoBears89

Well, we may not have to worry about this game...
CalFan777
I wonder if we are doing something similar. California is doing well respectively to other states right now...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.