California schools may cancel games per SB Nation

1,797 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by concordtom
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"Word on the street is that a cancellation of games involving California-based teams is possible, but a rescheduling of the Apple Cup could be in play if that were to happen. "

My guess is that SC probably losses a second game due to COVID time periods, and Stanford's season is over due to Santa Clara County restrictions.

Wondering about the two UC schools. Perhaps (hopefully) the wording in overly broad. Stay safe.
sp4149
wifeisafurd said:

"Word on the street is that a cancellation of games involving California-based teams is possible, but a rescheduling of the Apple Cup could be in play if that were to happen. "

My guess is that SC probably losses a second game due to COVID time periods, and Stanford's season is over due to Santa Clara County restrictions.

Wondering about the two UC schools. Perhaps (hopefully) the wording in overly broad. Stay safe.
Normally I would expect public schools to be at the mercy of local/state government directives and that private schools (aka SC and Stanford) can ignore those same entities. SC and Stanford will not go down without dragging UCLA and Cal with them.
6956bear
wifeisafurd said:

I do think the balance of the season for the California schools could very well be over. I expect on Tuesday we will see additional restrictions put in place and that could effectively end the season for California schools. Seems unlikely they allow teams to practice and travel likely restricted and quarantines put in place.

I think Covid restrictions could shelve Spring practices as well. The vaccines will not be in mass distribution until April or May. Will be interesting for sure.
ColoradoBear
Well, traditionalist will be happy that the Big Game was the last game of the year...

It would be a lot better if these bans/closures were done with some warning to allow for planning.

I still feel like the money should be there to have a mini-bubble for the football team - lost games are millions a piece, though it's still unclear whether the conference is splitting the losses evenly, or specifically docking teams with unplayed games.
71Bear
wifeisafurd said:

Stanford will travel to Seattle tomorrow and practice there prior to their game v. UW this weekend.
ColoradoBear
71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Stanford will travel to Seattle tomorrow and practice there prior to their game v. UW this weekend.

The big question is what do they do afterwards as there is a 14 day quarantine require upon return by Santa Clara County. At least Furd didn't find out about the 14 day rule as they were loading their plane like with the 49ers.

Classes being online does mean being on campus isn't all that important school-wise at least.
71Bear
ColoradoBear said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

The big question is what do they do afterwards as there is a 14 day quarantine require upon return by Santa Clara County. At least Furd didn't find out about the 14 day rule as they were loading their plane like with the 49ers.

Classes being online does mean being on campus isn't all that important school-wise at least.
They can just travel back via Corvallis (their next opponent), stay there a week and then travel to the city of whoever they play the weekend of the 19th (their last game). No big deal, they will be home by Christmas...

BearSD
71Bear said:

ColoradoBear said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

They can just travel back via Corvallis (their next opponent), stay there a week and then travel to the city of whoever they play the weekend of the 19th (their last game). No big deal, they will be home by Christmas...

They will probably do something like that.

I will also speculate that there are contingency plans being made to play Oregon-Cal in Eugene instead of Berkeley this weekend, and that if necessary the Bears would stay somewhere in the PNW until after the game at Pullman the following week.
wifeisafurd
BearSD said:

71Bear said:

ColoradoBear said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

I will also speculate that there are contingency plans being made to play Oregon-Cal in Eugene instead of Berkeley this weekend, and that if necessary the Bears would stay somewhere in the PNW until after the game at Pullman the following week.
My guess is Moscow Idaho, only hotel around large enough to accommodate the team and staff. Where visiting teams usually stay. Or perhaps WSU gives them an empty dorm (most classes being held virtually).
71Bear
BearSD said:

71Bear said:

ColoradoBear said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

I suspect there are a ton of contingency plans ready to go depending on the situation. Any discussion of schools packing it in at this point is rather premature. Too much effort has gone into playing games and too much money is at stake should the season be called off by CA-based schools. Somehow, things will plow forward whether we agree or disagree with that decision.

6956bear
71Bear said:

BearSD said:

71Bear said:

ColoradoBear said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

I suspect there are a ton of contingency plans ready to go depending on the situation. Any discussion of schools packing it in at this point is rather premature. Too much effort has gone into playing games and too much money is at stake should the season be called off by CA-based schools. Somehow, things will plow forward whether we agree or disagree with that decision.

My brother in law lives in Oregon. He said that there is some sort of travel quarantine in place. Not sure if that is actually true. If it is along with the likely restrictions coming in California not sure how you play these games. Wanting to play and actually getting the games in are not the same thing. Also any game could be cancelled due to Covid and tracing among the players and or staff.

Of course I would like to see the games proceed if they can be done "safely". Just feel that the season such as it is may be all but done.
Bobodeluxe
The sentiment here seems to be that, this year, the games don't matter and they must be played.
71Bear
Bobodeluxe said:

The sentiment here seems to be that, this year, the games don't matter and they must be played.
Correct. The only reason they are being played is to enable the schools to collect media payments.

71Bear
6956bear said:

71Bear said:

BearSD said:

71Bear said:

ColoradoBear said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

My brother in law lives in Oregon. He said that there is some sort of travel quarantine in place. Not sure if that is actually true. If it is along with the likely restrictions coming in California not sure how you play these games. Wanting to play and actually getting the games in are not the same thing. Also any game could be cancelled due to Covid and tracing among the players and or staff.

Of course I would like to see the games proceed if they can be done "safely". Just feel that the season such as it is may be all but done.
The current situation...

The state of Oregon has issued a recommendation to self quarantine when traveling to Oregon from another state. There is no requirement to do so.
wifeisafurd
71Bear said:

Bobodeluxe said:

Correct. The only reason they are being played is to enable the schools to collect media payments.

that is the only economic reason the schools are doing it. Some schools actually may feel an obligation to their players.

The players have varying objectives, and do seem to want to play. There are several senior players at Cal for example, that are developing their NFL resume. There are younger players developing their skills under game conditions w/o losing eligibility. There are players who want to go bowls (to the extent they will happen) or national champions (this is outside the Pac schools). Many players that just like playing football.
Strykur
wifeisafurd said:

71Bear said:

Bobodeluxe said:

that is the only economic reason the schools are doing it. Some schools actually may feel an obligation to their players.

The players have varying objectives, and do seem to want to play. There are several senior players at Cal for example, that are developing their NFL resume. There are younger players developing their skills under game conditions w/o losing eligibility. There are players who want to go bowls (to the extent they will happen) or national champions (this is outside the Pac schools). Many players that just like playing football.
Sitting out a year stunts development especially for younger guys, and going through camps/workouts/games even as a redshirt is much more preferable than doing nothing.
BearlyCareAnymore
wifeisafurd said:

71Bear said:

Bobodeluxe said:

Not buying it. Do the same schools actually feel an obligation to their students to have in person classes, labs, internships, practical experience for career, graduate school, etc? How is it any different?
harebear
wifeisafurd
OaktownBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

71Bear said:

Bobodeluxe said:

Not buying it. Do the same schools actually feel an obligation to their students to have in person classes, labs, internships, practical experience for career, graduate school, etc? How is it any different?
Actually the schools do feel a an obligation to provide that. In fact, almost all Pac schools and most large colleges in the country are, using local protocols, having labs, research opportunities, small grad school classes or unique classes that require personal attendance, and other experiences that can't be replaced by on-line instruction, and many schools are simply having classes.

The most ardent supporter of not having a Pac football season was the Furd President. He asked: is it appropriate given the activities that are available to other groups of people at Stanford (which also caused such a delay there is no room to reschedule games)?

He said this: .

We are in the gradual process of resuming, with the appropriate precautions, the in-person activities that people came to Stanford to do with a priority extended to those activities that cannot be done online. For example, after the initial period of shutdown in March due to COVID-19, we soon resumed elective surgeries in our hospitals. We placed a priority on bringing back research activities that cannot be done online, and indeed many of the people who are physically on campus each day are involved in research. We allowed graduate students to start the fall quarter in residence here on campus, where their research is. Santa Clara County offered new latitude in several areas, first by allowing essential visitors in student residences, and then as you saw earlier this week, introducing the concept of "households" (i.e., social pods) in student housing and allowing outdoor classes to begin moving indoors subject to density limits, topics on which we will be sharing more soon. We are exploring additional ways of providing more near-term flexibility for activities that have been constrained by the pandemic, and we also continue planning with the goal of bringing cohorts of undergraduates back to campus for the winter quarter.

Athletics is clearly an activity that cannot be done online. We made a commitment to our student-athletes, when they came to Stanford, to offer them the best possible academic and athletic experience. The rest of our conference, and the other Power 5 conferences, are now proceeding with competition. We have concluded that, as long as we are able to provide for our students' health and safety in rigorous ways, and allow them to make the final decision whether or not to play, there is no value in requiring them to miss a full year of competition.

I will let you Google what the other school President's said, but it is remarkably similar.

LodeBear
that is CDC but california is 14 days. so i dont know if california has to change their.time frame.
ColoradoBear
LodeBear said:

that is CDC but california is 14 days. so i dont know if california has to change their.time frame.

CDC was never making a binding mandate. They don't write or enforce laws. But it was pretty evident that most local agencies were just following CDC recommendations up until now, so we'll see what they do now.
going4roses
Ughh

The layer cake...
golden sloth
BearForce2 said:

I'm starting to get the feeling these clowns may cancel this next season or have games played with no attendance or require vaccination cards for attendance, or require everyone to wear masks regardless of vaccination status, or require 6 feet separation outdoors, or prohibit yelling.

I have no problem whatsoever with requiring vaccination cards upon entry. If you dont get vaccinated you are a second rate citizen and I dont have a problem with treating you as such since you are an active threat to the health and well being of society at large.

In fact, if the wazzu coach isnt vaccinated by gameday, dont let him into the stadium.
ColoradoBear
BearForce2 said:

I'm starting to get the feeling these clowns may cancel this next season or have games played with no attendance or require vaccination cards for attendance, or require everyone to wear masks regardless of vaccination status, or require 6 feet separation outdoors, or prohibit yelling.

Baseball is being played nationwide without mask mandates or limited attendence.

If certain officials want to reduce the low chance of a super spreader event outside, vaccine requirements would be way more tolerable than mask requirements outside.

BearForce2
golden sloth said:

BearForce2 said:

I have no problem whatsoever with requiring vaccination cards upon entry. If you dont get vaccinated you are a second rate citizen and I dont have a problem with treating you as such since you are an active threat to the health and well being of society at large.

In fact, if the wazzu coach isnt vaccinated bo gameday, dont let him into the stadium.

So you don't have confidence in the effectiveness of your own vaccination assuming you're vaccinated?
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
calumnus
Mods, this is a thread from 2020. Reviving it is trolling, and makes it seem like the title "SB Nation" is referring to the upcoming 2021 season instead of the 2020 season and is very misleading. A discussion of the 2021 season requirements could have easily been started in a new thread.
Stolibear
Vaccines are not 100% effective and they are either wholly ineffective or only partially effective for immunocompromised persons. Unvaccinated people are jeopardizing the lives of such persons.
going4roses
BearForce2 said:

You mean the clowns that refused to wear a mask. And now they walk around acting like they got vaccinated. You mean those clowns.
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
Cal8285
BearForce2 said:

golden sloth said:

BearForce2 said:

In fact, if the wazzu coach isnt vaccinated bo gameday, dont let him into the stadium.

So you don't have confidence in the effectiveness of your own vaccination assuming you're vaccinated?
Can't speak for someone else, but I have confidence in the effectiveness of my vaccine, which is NOT 100% effective, no one has ever said it was. Odds of death or serious illness as a result of being vaccinated? Pretty minimal, perhaps less than the odds of being killed in a car accident on the way to the game, but just as I prefer that drunk drivers not be allowed on the road even if the odds of me personally being killed or seriously injured by one are pretty low, I prefer the unvaccinated not be allowed into a large crowd event.

Take all large crowd events in the country together, the odds of SOMEBODY getting killed or seriously injured aren't that low, even if my personal odds are miniscule, and fewer people will get killed or seriously injured if we have vaccination requirements for mass events.

And if I have to wear a mask? That's the way it goes. It is apparent that the delta variant can be shed by asymptomatic vaccinated people. Do I care if I unknowingly infect others around me? Yeah. Even if the unvaccinated wear masks, mask do a better job of protecting others from the mask wearer than masks do of protecting the mask wearer from others. The #1 reason to wear a mask is not to protect myself, it is to protect others.

Even if the #1 thing that wearing a mask will do is protect the unvaccinated around me who are much better protected by my mask even if they are wearing masks, should I really gripe about doing my part to protect others, both those unable to be vaccinated and those too stupid to be vaccinated? I believe we should all act with kindness, even if that means being kind to idiots.
sycasey
We've given enough carrots. Time for sticks. People who won't get vaccinated should be barred from entry at potential super-spreader events like football games.
BearForce2
Time for sticks? Should the thousands of unvaccinated illegals coming through the border be barred from entry into the country?
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
Bobodeluxe
I knew dead brownies was to blame! Tucker was right! Tucker is ALWAYS right.

The thread is bogus.
concordtom
wifeisafurd said:

Stay safe.

...by not eating bacon.

You know, if it were masks vs bacon, I bet you could save more lives by cutting out bacon.

And if you cut out all the crappy foods in our diet you'd win by a factor of 10 !!!

concordtom
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.