Cal interested in USF (Florida) transfer David Collins

3,180 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by puget sound cal fan
KoreAmBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Sounds like a good get. While players have another year of eligibility, are the transfer rules relaxed as well? Doesn't seem to be a grad transfer situation. I'm not sure; maybe he is a grad transfer.

I think we can use this athleticism:

SFCityBear
Would this be a little bit of sweet payback for South Florida kicking our butts in the NCAA a few years ago?
SFCityBear
NathanAllen
Staff
KoreAmBear said:

Sounds like a good get. While players have another year of eligibility, are the transfer rules relaxed as well? Doesn't seem to be a grad transfer situation. I'm not sure; maybe he is a grad transfer.

Yes, I'm assuming grad transfer since he's already played four complete seasons.

That said, I have no idea a) how Cal has enough scholarships for him unless Fox knows someone plans on leaving and b) why Fox would pursue another CG/SG (again, unless someone plans on leaving).
sluggo
NathanAllen said:

KoreAmBear said:

Yes, I'm assuming grad transfer since he's already played four complete seasons.

That said, I have no idea a) how Cal has enough scholarships for him unless Fox knows someone plans on leaving and b) why Fox would pursue another CG/SG (again, unless someone plans on leaving).
I am going to throw out that the team is very bad and needs better players. I could be wrong.
NathanAllen
Staff
sluggo said:

NathanAllen said:

KoreAmBear said:

I am going to throw out that the team is very bad and needs better players. I could be wrong.
I don't think Collins is what you're looking for.

His ORtg was identical to Hyder's with similar Poss%. His assist rate was also about the same as Hyders, but with a higher TO%. His best quality was getting fouled and getting to the FT line ... where he shot 55%. He's a career 32% 3P shooter.

And this was all on a bad USF team. And at a position where Cal doesn't really need help for next year.

The one positive is he'd be coming from the AAC, which is the best mid-major conference, so I think his numbers would be a bit more translatable to the P12 compared to Foreman and Betley.

I'm not Fox, but I'd pass. If Fox does plan on upgrading, I'd focus more on PG and frontcourt. But that's just me.
sluggo
NathanAllen said:

sluggo said:

NathanAllen said:

KoreAmBear said:

His ORtg was identical to Hyder's with similar Poss%. His assist rate was also about the same as Hyders, but with a higher TO%. His best quality was getting fouled and getting to the FT line ... where he shot 55%. He's a career 32% 3P shooter.

And this was all on a bad USF team. And at a position where Cal doesn't really need help for next year.

The one positive is he'd be coming from the AAC, which is the best mid-major conference, so I think his numbers would be a bit more translatable to the P12 compared to Foreman and Betley.

I'm not Fox, but I'd pass. If Fox does plan on upgrading, I'd focus more on PG and frontcourt. But that's just me.
You know a lot more about him than I do about him, which is basically nothing. One stat: Collins shot 37% from 3 and Hyder shot 23% from the same distance. Collins is more athletic, clearly, and he might be able to handle the ball, which Hyder cannot (high dribble, no left hand, picks up the ball under pressure). Ignoring Hyder, Foreman and Betley do not deserve to be on the court, so there is plenty of room for another player. Because Fox is such a poor recruiter, I am not holding out hope for better.

If Fox plans to upgrade? LOL. 4-19 against conference opponents. Cal needs an upgrade at every position. I don't mean they need all players better than Matt Bradley. I mean no position only has players that are at the Pac12 average. In fact, there are only three players on the roster who are right now at least Pac12 average.
NathanAllen
Staff
sluggo said:

NathanAllen said:

sluggo said:

NathanAllen said:

KoreAmBear said:

You know a lot more about him than I do about him, which is basically nothing. One stat: Collins shot 37% from 3 and Hyder shot 23% from the same distance. Collins is more athletic, clearly, and he might be able to handle the ball, which Hyder cannot (high dribble, no left hand, picks up the ball under pressure). Ignoring Hyder, Foreman and Betley do not deserve to be on the court, so there is plenty of room for another player. Because Fox is such a poor recruiter, I am not holding out hope for better.

If Fox plans to upgrade? LOL. 4-19 against conference opponents. Cal needs an upgrade at every position. I don't mean they need all players better than Matt Bradley. I mean no position only has players that are at the Pac12 average. In fact, there are only three players on the roster who are right now at least Pac12 average.

I mean, I just looked up his four-year stats on KenPom. I'd never heard of the dude until today. That 37.5% was on just 48 attempts. Last season when he took 89 attempts, it was 25.6%. That's why I put his career average of 32.2%.

This isn't enough of an upgrade, IMO. Especially not to ask someone to leave the program for, which is what would have to happen considering Cal is already at the 13 scholarship limit for next season.

The biggest news out of this, to me, indicates Fox plans on someone leaving. Or at least is making it seem that way. Cal already had 13 scholarship players this season with three graduating seniors (three open spots) and have signed three incoming freshmen.
sluggo
NathanAllen said:

sluggo said:

NathanAllen said:

sluggo said:

NathanAllen said:

KoreAmBear said:

I mean, I just looked up his four-year stats on KenPom. I'd never heard of the dude until today. That 37.5% was on just 48 attempts. Last season when he took 89 attempts, it was 25.6%. That's why I put his career average of 32.2%.

This isn't enough of an upgrade, IMO. Especially not to ask someone to leave the program for, which is what would have to happen considering Cal is already at the 13 scholarship limit for next season.

The biggest news out of this, to me, indicates Fox plans on someone leaving. Or at least is making it seem that way. Cal already had 13 scholarship players this season with three graduating seniors (three open spots) and have signed three incoming freshmen.
I see your argument that he is not a big enough upgrade. One cannot tell if he improved his shooting or he just had lower usage. He is intriguing to me. Cal needs better ball handling, I don't know if he can provide it.

It could be that the player is interested in Cal more than Cal is interested in the player. Or that Fox does not know what all of his players are doing. Given that Klonaras gets walkon minutes, he is surely a candidate to go.
KoreAmBear
sluggo said:

NathanAllen said:

sluggo said:

NathanAllen said:

sluggo said:

NathanAllen said:

KoreAmBear said:

I see your argument that he is not a big enough upgrade. One cannot tell if he improved his shooting or he just had lower usage. He is intriguing to me. Cal needs better ball handling, I don't know if he can provide it.

It could be that the player is interested in Cal more than Cal is interested in the player. Or that Fox does not know what all of his players are doing. Given that Klonaras gets walkon minutes, he is surely a candidate to go.
One note is that besides the stats, Collins seems to provide some athleticism we don't seem to have a lot of.

Even Joel Brown while quick and athletic, doesn't jump out of the gym.

Bowser seems very athletic and we saw a couple of explosive plays during the season, but is slight.

Collins looks like he has the body of Justin Cobbs. Physical and athletic.

Also, if Betley comes back he needs a spot too right?
Big C

Our roster is chock full of "so-so level" players with 1-2 strengths. The one missing skill set is rim protection.

I wish we could take all these point guards and combo guards and trade them for ONE good point guard... of course, then he'd probably get injured, lol.
NathanAllen
Staff
sluggo said:

NathanAllen said:

sluggo said:

NathanAllen said:

sluggo said:

NathanAllen said:

KoreAmBear said:

Here are some of his four-year stats that might help answer this.

2017-2018: Min%: 52.0%, ORtg: 100.3, Poss% (usage): 24.0%, Shot%: 19.2%, eFG%: 55.6%, TS%: 60.4%, ARate: 22.9%, TORate: 26.6%, FTA: 66.9, FT%: 71.7% (113 attempts), 2P%: 52.9% (121 attempts), 3P%: 41.7% (48 attempts)

2018-2019: Min%: 82.0%, ORtg: 100.3, Poss%: 26.3%, Shot%: 24.8%, eFG%: 45.6%, TS%: 52.7%, ARate: 20.8%, TORate: 20.7%, FTA: 70.1 (No. 20), FT%: 70.3% (293 attempts), 2P%: 44.8% (268 attempts), 3P%: 31.3% (150 attempts)

2019-2020: Min%: 78.3%, ORtg: 90.5, Poss%: 27.0%, Shot%: 23.8%, eFG%: 43.7%, TS%: 49.9%, ARate: 13.6%, TO%: 22.4%, FTA: 70.1 (No. 17), FT%: 65.3% (216 attempts), 2P%: 45.7% (219 attempts), 3P%: 25.8% (89 attempts)

2020-2021: Min%: 75.5%, ORtg: 88.7, Poss%: 26.7%, Shot%: 23.6%, eFG%: 45.4%, TS%: 47.8%, ARate: 25.5%, TORate: 23.6%, FTRate: 51.4, FT%: 55.0% (111 attempts), 2P%: 42.3% (168 attempts), 3P%: 37.5% (48 attempts)

I know virtually nothing about the USF program, the lineups, rotations, or players Collins played with the past four years. I do know they've only had one winning season out of the four Collins has been there and Collins has had the highest minutes and usage (Poss%) the past three years. His usage has been very high all four years at USF. Even his freshmen year when his minutes were just 52.2%, which Collins was on the court, one out of every four possessions were ending with him. That's high for a freshman and, again, only Bradley had a higher usage on Cal's team this year.

Here's my quick assessment: Collins is a very average shooter that draws a ton of fouls. That's fine until you see he shot 55% from the FT line this year. One thing I did not include is he has had a high steal%. I'm not sure how serious Fox is in him, but I could see Fox being interested in his defensive abilities.

I'm gonna stick with my original assessment on Collins' potential fit with Cal and that I'd pass. I understand Cal needs talent upgrades at most positions, but that's not going to happen at this point as Cal doesn't currently have any open scholarships. I mean, it could, but that means telling a bunch of guys they're not going to see the court and hoping they transfer. If Cal were to dip into the transfer market this off-season, I still think the priority should be PG or Center. Collins has pretty much exclusively played in the CG spot with a bit on the wing.

This will likely be the biggest transfer market we've seen because of guys like Collins, who have played four full years but got a free bonus year thanks to COVID. Tons of dudes are transferring. There will be other opportunities for Cal to upgrade if it wishes to do so.
KoreAmBear
NathanAllen said:

sluggo said:

NathanAllen said:

sluggo said:

NathanAllen said:

sluggo said:

NathanAllen said:

KoreAmBear said:

Here are some of his four-year stats that might help answer this.

2017-2018: Min%: 52.0%, ORtg: 100.3, Poss% (usage): 24.0%, Shot%: 19.2%, eFG%: 55.6%, TS%: 60.4%, ARate: 22.9%, TORate: 26.6%, FTA: 66.9, FT%: 71.7% (113 attempts), 2P%: 52.9% (121 attempts), 3P%: 41.7% (48 attempts)

2018-2019: Min%: 82.0%, ORtg: 100.3, Poss%: 26.3%, Shot%: 24.8%, eFG%: 45.6%, TS%: 52.7%, ARate: 20.8%, TORate: 20.7%, FTA: 70.1 (No. 20), FT%: 70.3% (293 attempts), 2P%: 44.8% (268 attempts), 3P%: 31.3% (150 attempts)

2019-2020: Min%: 78.3%, ORtg: 90.5, Poss%: 27.0%, Shot%: 23.8%, eFG%: 43.7%, TS%: 49.9%, ARate: 13.6%, TO%: 22.4%, FTA: 70.1 (No. 17), FT%: 65.3% (216 attempts), 2P%: 45.7% (219 attempts), 3P%: 25.8% (89 attempts)

2020-2021: Min%: 75.5%, ORtg: 88.7, Poss%: 26.7%, Shot%: 23.6%, eFG%: 45.4%, TS%: 47.8%, ARate: 25.5%, TORate: 23.6%, FTRate: 51.4, FT%: 55.0% (111 attempts), 2P%: 42.3% (168 attempts), 3P%: 37.5% (48 attempts)

I know virtually nothing about the USF program, the lineups, rotations, or players Collins played with the past four years. I do know they've only had one winning season out of the four Collins has been there and Collins has had the highest minutes and usage (Poss%) the past three years. His usage has been very high all four years at USF. Even his freshmen year when his minutes were just 52.2%, which Collins was on the court, one out of every four possessions were ending with him. That's high for a freshman and, again, only Bradley had a higher usage on Cal's team this year.

Here's my quick assessment: Collins is a very average shooter that draws a ton of fouls. That's fine until you see he shot 55% from the FT line this year. One thing I did not include is he has had a high steal%. I'm not sure how serious Fox is in him, but I could see Fox being interested in his defensive abilities.

I'm gonna stick with my original assessment on Collins' potential fit with Cal and that I'd pass. I understand Cal needs talent upgrades at most positions, but that's not going to happen at this point as Cal doesn't currently have any open scholarships. I mean, it could, but that means telling a bunch of guys they're not going to see the court and hoping they transfer. If Cal were to dip into the transfer market this off-season, I still think the priority should be PG or Center. Collins has pretty much exclusively played in the CG spot with a bit on the wing.

This will likely be the biggest transfer market we've seen because of guys like Collins, who have played four full years but got a free bonus year thanks to COVID. Tons of dudes are transferring. There will be other opportunities for Cal to upgrade if it wishes to do so.
Ouch. We don't need more guys that can't shoot FTs. We got better at FTs the latter part of the season, but we still have to improve it by a lot.
NathanAllen
Staff
His FT% is odd. It's literally decreased every single year, but fell off the cliff the past two seasons. He shot 70% as a soph, 65% as a junior, and 55% as a senior.
calumnus
NathanAllen said:

His FT% is odd. It's literally decreased every single year, but fell off the cliff the past two seasons. He shot 70% as a soph, 65% as a junior, and 55% as a senior.

Assuming we plan to eventually have the lead in the closing minutes, a PG who cannot shoot free throws is a huge liability.
NathanAllen
Staff
calumnus said:

NathanAllen said:

Assuming we plan to eventually have the lead in the closing minutes, a PG who cannot shoot free throws is a huge liability.
Collins isn't a PG, but think about Brown at PG and Collins at SG on the floor at the same time, lol. Yikes.
puget sound cal fan
I'd wager none of those three players is either a PG or a "big".
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.