Solomon Hughes to play Kareem

3,369 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by philbert
bearmanpg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Solomon Hughes is playing Kareem Abdul Jabbar in the HBO series, 1980 L.A. Lakers....."Ramos joins previously announced cast Jason Segel as Paul Westhead, Michael Chiklis as Red Auerbach, Sally Field as Jessie Buss, Adrien Brody as Pat Riley, John C. Reilly as Jerry Buss, Jason Clarke as Jerry West, Quincy Isaiah as Magic Johnson, Solomon Hughes as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Gaby Hoffmann as Claire Rothman, Hadley Robinson as Jeanie Buss, DeVaughn Nixon as Norm Nixon, Molly Gordon as Linda Zafrani, Rob Morgan as Earvin Johnson Sr., Spencer Garrett as Chick Hearn, Kirk Bovill as Donald Sterling, Delante Desouza as Michael Cooper, Stephen Adly Guirgis as Frank Mariani, Tamera Tomakili as Earletha "Cookie" Kelly, Joey Brooks as Lon Rosen and Bo Burnham as Larry Bird."
Big C

Awesome! Wouldn't that be "typiCal" if, preparing himself for the role, he developed an unstoppable sky hook!
StrawberryCanyon
This news came out a long time ago. Hasn't filming started yet?
SFCityBear
So who is playing James Worthy? Wyking Jones? He could use the gig.
SFCityBear
bearister
"Michael Chiklis as Red Auerbach"

"Good coach and bad coach left for the day. I'm a different kind of coach."
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Chapman_is_Gone

If they literally played each other 1-on-1 today, who would win? Kareem looks to be in pretty good shape. Would youth triumph?

SFCityBear
Chapman_is_Gone said:

If they literally played each other 1-on-1 today, who would win? Kareem looks to be in pretty good shape. Would youth triumph?

Kareem is 73. Hughes is in his early 40s. Not much of a contest. Too much age difference. Except that I've seen Kareem play,and I've seen Solomon play, and I don't think there is a shot that Solomon had that Kareem could not block, even at age 73, unless Kareem fell down or otherwise got injured in the contest. As for the sky hook, well there are some things a basketball player never loses.

Some of my high school teammates played in an Asian-American league into their mid-70s, but the game was reduced to half-court. Norm Owyoung, who once was invited to try out with the Warriors, was in that league, and was asked how well they played. He said, "When we are on defense, we try to stand next to each other in front of the basket, making a wall. When one of us gets hit, we all fall down." He retired at 74, I believe.

This reminds me of another story of youth vs age: In the early 1990s, after Magic Johnson became HIV positive and retired, when he felt stronger, he organized a barnstorming exhibition tour of his friends from his NBA days, to raise money for HIV and AIDS as a charity. Magic was in his early 30s, while most of the players were still playing in the NBA. Magic invited Wilt Chamberlain to play with them. Wilt was in his late 50s at the time. In his first game, Wilt sat on the bench for the first half, and the two teams raced up and down the floor, fast breaking on every play, and not playing much defense. Magic put Wilt in the game to start the second half, and at the center jump, Wilt announced, "There will be no more layups in this gym." And that was the end of the fast break in that game, as he proceeded to grab most of the rebounds and block most of the shots anywhere near the basket.
SFCityBear
bearister
...and don't make Kareem mad!

mbBear
Jessie Buss?
bearister
mbBear said:

Jessie Buss?

I dream of Jeanie with the light brown ....basketballs.

concordtom
Big C said:

Awesome! Wouldn't that be "typiCal" if, preparing himself for the role, he developed an unstoppable sky hook!
I'll be glad to merely see him perfect the body movements of the shot - regardless if it goes in or not (special effects can take care of that). We've all seen the ballet move many times - has anyone replicated it? I don't think so.
concordtom
Chapman_is_Gone said:

Come on, man.
We love Kareem, but he's 73, while Solomon is about 41.
concordtom
SFCityBear said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

Kareem is 73. Hughes is in his early 40s. Not much of a contest. Too much age difference. Except that I've seen Kareem play,and I've seen Solomon play, and I don't think there is a shot that Solomon had that Kareem could not block, even at age 73, unless Kareem fell down or otherwise got injured in the contest. As for the sky hook, well there are some things a basketball player never loses.

Some of my high school teammates played in an Asian-American league into their mid-70s, but the game was reduced to half-court. Norm Owyoung, who once was invited to try out with the Warriors, was in that league, and was asked how well they played. He said, "When we are on defense, we try to stand next to each other in front of the basket, making a wall. When one of us gets hit, we all fall down." He retired at 74, I believe.

This reminds me of another story of youth vs age: In the early 1990s, after Magic Johnson became HIV positive and retired, when he felt stronger, he organized a barnstorming exhibition tour of his friends from his NBA days, to raise money for HIV and AIDS as a charity. Magic was in his early 30s, while most of the players were still playing in the NBA. Magic invited Wilt Chamberlain to play with them. Wilt was in his late 50s at the time. In his first game, Wilt sat on the bench for the first half, and the two teams raced up and down the floor, fast breaking on every play, and not playing much defense. Magic put Wilt in the game to start the second half, and at the center jump, Wilt announced, "There will be no more layups in this gym." And that was the end of the fast break in that game, as he proceeded to grab most of the rebounds and block most of the shots anywhere near the basket.
....And the lore grows.
I think I've heard this story before, but I'm not buying it.

I have the unfortunate disadvantage of never getting to watch Wilt play.
You (and everyone else) have the unfortunate disadvantage of never getting to watch Wilt play with a league full end similarly sized bodies that have trained at basketball since age 8.

I imagine if Wilt came into the game with people who completely respected him, they would NOT be out there to show him up. An active NBA player would injury a 50 year old Wilt who was busy writing a book about his 20,000 conquests. It would just be fun to get him out there and lean against him in the post. Give him a few shots and boards, share smiles and let his personality flow. You don't show a legend like Wilt up, no.

Now, I'm not saying I'm absolutely right and you're absolutely wrong, but it's a fair and fun debate - and one we've been having on these pages for years.

Here. I'm gonna watch this and see if I change my mind at all.

concordtom
I love the post defense on Wilt. He didn't catch the ball on the block. He caught it 2 feet from the rim.

Kareem was always my hero.
And that extends to off the court as well.
Wilt comes off as a bit of an idiot. Kareem is aging very nicely, and I really enjoy his social commentary!

calumnus
concordtom said:

I love the post defense on Wilt. He didn't catch the ball on the block. He caught it 2 feet from the rim.

Kareem was always my hero.
And that extends to off the court as well.
Wilt comes off as a bit of an idiot. Kareem is aging very nicely, and I really enjoy his social commentary!

There was a point where Kareem was trying to break into college coaching. I thought at the time Cal should take that gamble.

It is unfortunate that his autobiography mentions playing Cal at Harmon and some Cal students yelling racist things at him. At the time I thought he must be misremembering, not progressive Berkeley! Then I spent some time on these boards in discussions with people who would have been students at the time and now I completely believe him.
concordtom
Yeah, and since January they've migrated over to OFF TOPIC in a big way.
philbert

I can't believe Okaydo wasn't involved in this news.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.