dominoes

2,335 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bearister
stu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who subscribes to the domino theory?

I see a number of players on our roster who have several years of eligibility remaining, no obvious connections to California, and sufficient talent to get offers more appealing than Cal. Since none of these guys look like NBA prospects I'm thinking Ivy League, Northwestern, academically distinguished mid-majors, etc.

However Bradley may have had a personal issue and everyone else is happy. Dunno. But I remember Kucken's last years when everyone looked miserable.
bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Big C
stu said:

I see a number of players on our roster who have several years of eligibility remaining, no obvious connections to California, and sufficient talent to get offers more appealing than Cal. Since none of these guys look like NBA prospects I'm thinking Ivy League, Northwestern, academically distinguished mid-majors, etc.

However Bradley may have had a personal issue and everyone else is happy. Dunno. But I remember Kucken's last years when everyone looked miserable.

I'm not sure Bradley had as much of a "personal issue" as much as it was he wanted to play for a winner.

The rest of the players will have a hard time getting offers from "higher level" programs. Would they, as you suggest, want to make a "lateral" transfer? Maybe, maybe not. The good things about Cal that enticed them here in the first place are basically still here. Area, school, Pac 12 competition.

Fox may not be one of the most popular coaches to play for, but I don't think he's one of the least, either.
calumnus
Big C said:

stu said:

I'm not sure Bradley had as much of a "personal issue" as much as it was he wanted to play for a winner.

The rest of the players will have a hard time getting offers from "higher level" programs. Would they, as you suggest, want to make a "lateral" transfer? Maybe, maybe not. The good things about Cal that enticed them here in the first place are basically still here. Area, school, Pac 12 competition.

Fox may not be one of the most popular coaches to play for, but I don't think he's one of the least, either.

The combination of not being fun to play for, having a system that is not fun to play in and lots of losing puts him pretty low among power conference coaches at this point, unfortunately.
helltopay1
Gee--------'other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy thge play'?
stu
Big C said:

I didn't phrase that well. Maybe I should have said "individual issue" since his talent causes him to have different considerations than the other players have.

Quote:

I think Kelly, Brown, and Celestine might get comparable or better offers, i.e. from a power conference team doing better than last place. Kuany, Thorpe, and Thiemann might have to settle for a lower-level team (which may include Cal without Bradley).

Quote:

I have no idea, but winning always makes you more popular with your players. I'm guessing any transfers would be primarily related to distaste of playing for a BDW.
stu
How did Duane Allman get in the picture? Replacement for a transfer? And where's Neal Schon? I saw him with the Dominos in Berkeley maybe in 1971.
Big C
calumnus said:

Big C said:

stu said:

The combination of not being fun to play for, having a system that is not fun to play in and lots of losing puts him pretty low among power conference coaches at this point, unfortunately.

I don't even know what Fox's system is. Or maybe that's your point.
juarezbear
stu said:

How did Duane Allman get in the picture? Replacement for a transfer? And where's Neal Schon? I saw him with the Dominos in Berkeley maybe in 1971.
Dude....Duane Allman was in the band. Schon played with Santana. Allman and Schon have very different styles. Layla wouldn't have been the same without Duane's slide guitar licks.
stu
juarezbear said:

Dude....Duane Allman was in the band. Schon played with Santana. Allman and Schon have very different styles. Layla wouldn't have been the same without Duane's slide guitar licks.
Did Allman ever perform with them live or only contribute to the studio sessions? When I saw them at the Berkeley Community Theater Schon was really young and my friend was wondering who that kid was. I didn't remember the dates but the Internet shows 1970 Nov 18 and 19, before he joined Santana.
bearister
stu said:

He played on the Layla album by invitation from Clapton. He was invited to join the band but declined, preferring to stay with Allman Brothers.

calumnus
Big C said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

stu said:

We are ranked in the 300s in tempo and scoring, which is typical for Fox teams. Just trying to keep the scoring for both teams low. Very few assists, some on ball screening, but mostly burn clock and then hero ball as the shot clock expires. We will see who replaces Bradley (and Betley) for all those shots. We play almost exclusively man to man defense mostly trying to deny any shot instead of just denying good shots.
Big C
calumnus said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

stu said:

We are ranked in the 300s in tempo and scoring, which is typical for Fox teams. Just trying to keep the scoring for both teams low. Very few assists, some on ball screening, but mostly burn clock and then hero ball as the shot clock expires. We will see who replaces Bradley (and Betley) for all those shots. We play almost exclusively man to man defense mostly trying to deny any shot instead of just denying good shots.

Secret's out! Whether he leaves his current job in a week, a year, two years or whenever, that sly Fox is going to be able to keep his six-figure income [Edit: Oops, seven figures. I knew that. Thx Calumnus] rolling in with a best seller:

The Sly Fox Offense

(subtitle) Burn clock, then hero ball as the shot clock expires... and more!

Chapter One: Minimize those assists!

Chapter Two: Some on ball screening

etc. etc.
calumnus
Big C said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

stu said:

Secret's out! Whether he leaves his current job in a week, a year, two years or whenever, that sly Fox is going to be able to keep his six-figure income rolling in with a best seller:

The Sly Fox Offense

(subtitle) Burn clock, then hero ball as the shot clock expires,,, and more!

Chapter One: Minimize those assists!

Chapter Two: Some on ball screening

etc. etc.

FWIW, he has a seven figure income. He makes more per year if he gets fired as long as someone else will hire him and give him another seven figure per year contract.
bearister
stu said:

juarezbear said:

Did Allman ever perform with them live or only contribute to the studio sessions? When I saw them at the Berkeley Community Theater Schon was really young and my friend was wondering who that kid was. I didn't remember the dates but the Internet shows 1970 Nov 18 and 19, before he joined Santana.

"OctoberDecember 1970 live shows
Allman performed two shows with the group near the end of the US tour: at Curtis Hixon Hall, in Tampa, Florida, on 1 December, and at the Onondaga County War Memorial in Syracuse, New York, the following night." Wikipedia

Good live album at Fillmore East (no Duane):

*Jim Gordon (at far right on cover), the drummer (also the drummer for Traffic), has been incarcerated since 1983 for murdering his mother. He is schizophrenic. He currently resides at the California Medical Facility in Vacaville. He is 75. Chris Hillman of the Byrds, Manassas and the Burrito Brothers, played with Jim Gordon in the Souther Hillman Furay Band. In his new autobiography, Chris recounts getting into a vicious bar fight with Jim Gordon.
bearister
juarezbear said:

stu said:

When Neal Schon Said No to Joining Derek and the Dominos

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/neal-schon-derek-and-the-dominos/

*In Schon's Wikipedia page there is a quote by Domino Bobby Whitlock denying that they wanted Neal to join the band.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.