Jon Wilner on Cal BB

3,274 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by helltopay1
diva1
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Third-year coach Mark Fox needs help, immediately, but Cal lacks flexibility with the transfer portal because of the academic piece.

The outlook is gloomy in Berkeley.

So we have a tough time getting grad transfers and portal entrants, what coach would want this job?
BearlyCareAnymore
diva1 said:

Third-year coach Mark Fox needs help, immediately, but Cal lacks flexibility with the transfer portal because of the academic piece.

So we have a tough time getting grad transfers and portal entrants, what coach would want this job?
The grad transfer piece is a Cal issue that is being dealt with. Cal doesn't have a problem getting undergraduate transfers. I think you will find, rightly or wrongly, that non-athletes from Fresno State don't get transfer slots very often, but we got one for basketball with no problem.

For now this is a red herring. Grad transfers who would be rejected on academics grounds are rejecting us first because our program sucks. We actually have an advantage with grad transfers from academic schools. They just aren't very good at basketball and if they were they go somewhere else because plain and simple the number one thing keeping players away from our program is it completely sucks.

When you ask yourself what coach would want this job, ask yourself what player would want to come here and play for the current coach.

This reminds me of under Tom Holmoe when he wouldn't recruit JC players and specifically not from SF City College who was a major pipeline, and people blamed admissions. Then Tedford came in and built a top ten program with a lot of JC transfers including from SF City.

Cal is not currently missing out on any grad transfers that would change anything about this program due to academics.

I know some people think that the fact that Wilner is paid to do this job means he takes it seriously, has contacts, and has a brain, but he is 0-3 on that list.
sluggo
diva1 said:

A coach that did not have a better option. Which is most college head coaches, almost all assistant college coaches and many NBA assistants. Let's not forget we had 3 high school all americans plus a fourth guy who played in the NBA just a few years ago. Because the current guy can't recruit does not mean no one could recruit. Even WJ recruited reasonably well.

Cal is one of the best schools in the world, has the best weather in the world (imo), plays in a power conference, and is in an interesting urban environment. Plus it pays a competitive salary. The right coach could recruit to Cal.
stu
OaktownBear said:

... For now this is a red herring. Grad transfers who would be rejected on academics grounds are rejecting us first because our program sucks. We actually have an advantage with grad transfers from academic schools. They just aren't very good at basketball and if they were they go somewhere else because plain and simple the number one thing keeping players away from our program is it completely sucks ...
Exactly.

If you're recruiting good players to a losing program you generally have to convince them it will become a winning program. I'm pretty sure that requires a coach who has a proven winning record and/or is a great salesperson.

There may be an occasional recruit who will come anyway due to some special connection with Cal but I don't think we can depend on getting many that way.

Another possibility is getting a bunch of recruits at one time who think together they can make a winner. Something like Rabb, Brown, and Swanigan (but Swanigan didn't come and neither Rabb nor Brown stayed long enough to establish a winning tradition). It did happen in 2005 when our women got 5 top recruits and made the NCAA Torrnament most of the next 15 years .
mdbear
Sadly, I think a lot of our current problems were evident when we hired Fox. He had nine years at Georgia to build a high quality program, and he did not. He had an overall losing record in conference, and Georgia came 11th out of 12 conference teams in his last year. Georgia is fertile recruiting ground, with the only other power conference team in the state (Georgia Tech) having serious academic requirements. Yet Fox did not show that he could lure local talent. Fox took over a terrible Cal team, but one that was also only two years removed from a 4 seed in the NCAA tournament. He knew the academic requirements going in. The best we could have hoped for was that he would take us from bad to mediocre. Barring a miracle next season, that appears unlikely.
59bear
sluggo said:

diva1 said:

A coach that did not have a better option. Which is most college head coaches, almost all assistant college coaches and many NBA assistants. Let's not forget we had 3 high school all americans plus a fourth guy who played in the NBA just a few years ago. Because the current guy can't recruit does not mean no one could recruit. Even WJ recruited reasonably well.

Cal is one of the best schools in the world, has the best weather in the world (imo), plays in a power conference, and is in an interesting urban environment. Plus it pays a competitive salary. The right coach could recruit to Cal.
I agree the right coach could recruit to Cal. Unhappily, almost any "right coach" could find myriad options elsewhere for his services that are more attractive without having to deal with sub-standard facilities, our hostile faculty environment, a largely disinterested student body and an apathetic alumni base. Oh yes, and probably more money to boot.
FloriDreaming
mdbear said:

Sadly, I think a lot of our current problems were evident when we hired Fox. He had nine years at Georgia to build a high quality program, and he did not. He had an overall losing record in conference, and Georgia came 11th out of 12 conference teams in his last year. Georgia is fertile recruiting ground, with the only other power conference team in the state (Georgia Tech) having serious academic requirements. Yet Fox did not show that he could lure local talent. Fox took over a terrible Cal team, but one that was also only two years removed from a 4 seed in the NCAA tournament. He knew the academic requirements going in. The best we could have hoped for was that he would take us from bad to mediocre. Barring a miracle next season, that appears unlikely.
Yes. Fox was a known quantity. At first blush, it didn't seem like a good hire, but there was hope he could improve compared to what he did at GA. Now it's looking like he's regressed, if anything.

This is now two Cal MBB HC's in a row where the hire looked stupid from the beginning and turned out to in fact be a stupid hire. Maybe Cal's admin should switch things up next time and try hiring a PROMISING coach...? I think they'd be pleasantly surprised at how quickly the program could turn around. Turning around a basketball program is easy, it doesn't take years and years of recruitment and development, it can be done in 1-2 years if the coach knows what he's doing.
BearlyCareAnymore
HuaHin (fka Uthai) said:

mdbear said:

Yes. Fox was a known quantity. At first blush, it didn't seem like a good hire, but there was hope he could improve compared to what he did at GA. Now it's looking like he's regressed, if anything.

This is now two Cal MBB HC's in a row where the hire looked stupid from the beginning and turned out to in fact be a stupid hire. Maybe Cal's admin should switch things up next time and try hiring a PROMISING coach...? I think they'd be pleasantly surprised at how quickly the program could turn around. Turning around a basketball program is easy, it doesn't take years and years of recruitment and development, it can be done in 1-2 years if the coach knows what he's doing.
They should interview 5 candidates, rank them from 1-5 and then hire the one they like the least.
socaltownie
OaktownBear said:

HuaHin (fka Uthai) said:

mdbear said:

They should interview 5 candidates, rank them from 1-5 and then hire the one they like the least.
They absolutely need to start from a more fundamental position - WHO ARE WE AS AN SCHOOL FROM THE D1 BASKETBALL PERSPECTIVE and then find a candate that works.

Fox just isn't going to fly at a big state school. MAYBE (and I mean maybe) at a second chance place like Nevada where his players will play with a chip on shoulder but not in a league where you have to have NBA'ers to compete with other NBA'ers. That doesn't mean you have to be a slime ball blue blood but you have to really lean into the question - what sort of qualities will allow the coach to build and nurture norcal (and so cal) hoops talent so Cal gets its share.

I am officially opening the team Romar club. Yes, he isn't good on Xs and Os. His husky teams, however, were loaded in a much harder place (seattle) to recruit to.
Chabbear
"WHO ARE WE AS AN SCHOOL FROM THE D1 BASKETBALL PERSPECTIVE and then find a candate that works. "

Can we get that answer???
BigDaddy
Chabbear said:

"WHO ARE WE AS AN SCHOOL FROM THE D1 BASKETBALL PERSPECTIVE and then find a candate that works. "

This. At some point as a program you have to set your expectations and know your ceiling.

For Arizona and UCLA, for instance, the expectation is the NCAA tournament every year. In good years, they're looking at a Sweet 16, with a chance at maybe a Final Four. With the right coach, the ceiling is a Natty. Both programs have done it.

At Oregon, starting with Kent and now Altman, NCAA tournament every year is now the expectation. Competing for the league title also expected. Postseason, since 2013 they've gone to 5 Sweet 16s, a couple of Elite 8s and a Final Four. So the ceiling has been raised.

What is the expectation here at Cal? Doesn't seem like the AD has any clue. The state of California has a lot of basketball talent. There is a lot of talent out West. I don't think it's unreasonable to say you get the right coach in here you expect to make the tournament every year. In a good year, you compete for a league title.

Someone in upper management needs to figure out what Cal basketball is supposed to be and then find a coach who can help make that vision a reality.

“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
59bear
Chabbear said:

I have posited many times that this is exactly our problem. We have decided we are willing to simply go through the motions of competing, starting with hiring a low cost HC and staff in the hope of spinning chaff into gold. Look at our hires over the last 60 years. They fall into 3 categories: 1) unproven assistants (Herrerias, Kuchen Bozeman, Jones) we hope are on the cusp of development into quality HCs; lower level coaches (Edwards, Campy, Braun) we hope are ready for the step up; retreads (Monty, Martin, Fox) we hope can reproduce some level of success they had achieved elsewhere and who were available for sundry reasons at bargain rates. We rang the bell only with Monty, got brief flashes of hope with Bozo and Martin and, with Braun, maybe Campy, got almost exactly what I think we (e.g., Cal admins) want, a respectable enough level of competitiveness to avoid embarrassment. I think there is a strong undercurrent running through the Cal community that doesn't want athletics to rise to a level that would in any way diminish the luster of our academic stature, strongest among the faculty but existing within the administration, student body and alumni as well.
BigDaddy
59bear said:

Chabbear said:

I think there is a strong undercurrent running through the Cal community that doesn't want athletics to rise to a level that would in any way diminish the luster of our academic stature, strongest among the faculty but existing within the administration, student body and alumni as well.
This is crazy, of course. Success in basketball has not diminished the academic luster of Duke University. Success in football and playing in the Rose Bowl has not diminished the academic stature of furd. It's ridiculous.
“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
59bear
BigDaddy said:

59bear said:

Chabbear said:

I think there is a strong undercurrent running through the Cal community that doesn't want athletics to rise to a level that would in any way diminish the luster of our academic stature, strongest among the faculty but existing within the administration, student body and alumni as well.
This is crazy, of course. Success in basketball has not diminished the academic luster of Duke University. Success in football and playing in the Rose Bowl has not diminished the academic stature of furd. It's ridiculous.
I didn't say it made sense, just that it exists. An elitist perspective much like the notion that winning is less important than playing the game the "right" way.
BigDaddy
59bear said:

BigDaddy said:

59bear said:

Chabbear said:

I didn't say it made sense, just that it exists. An elitist perspective much like the notion that winning is less important than playing the game the "right" way.
Yes, I was simply agreeing with you.
Post removed:
by user
AunBear89
If you hate everything Cal, why are you here? Is your name really GoldenOnenote?

No one is forcing you to watch Cal, support Cal, or come on to a Cal sports board to crap in every thread about sports.
Gobears49
59bear said:

Chabbear said:

I have posited many times that this is exactly our problem. We have decided we are willing to simply go through the motions of competing, starting with hiring a low cost HC and staff in the hope of spinning chaff into gold. Look at our hires over the last 60 years. They fall into 3 categories: 1) unproven assistants (Herrerias, Kuchen Bozeman, Jones) we hope are on the cusp of development into quality HCs; lower level coaches (Edwards, Campy, Braun) we hope are ready for the step up; retreads (Monty, Martin, Fox) we hope can reproduce some level of success they had achieved elsewhere and who were available for sundry reasons at bargain rates. We rang the bell only with Monty, got brief flashes of hope with Bozo and Martin and, with Braun, maybe Campy, got almost exactly what I think we (e.g., Cal admins) want, a respectable enough level of competitiveness to avoid embarrassment. I think there is a strong undercurrent running through the Cal community that doesn't want athletics to rise to a level that would in any way diminish the luster of our academic stature, strongest among the faculty but existing within the administration, student body and alumni as well.trong
Your comments are pretty close to a long comment I wrote on W4C. But you left out one very good approach -- hire and up and comer who has done well at a smaller school. Better if they have strong Cal roots. Exampes would be DeCuire (Cal assistant) and a good record at Mondana, though not last seas,) and Dennis Gates, also a Cal assistant, with a pretty good, but short, tenure at Cleveland State. Must be lots of "hot coaches" out there, like the illustration of SDSA hiring Oats.

Least productive way of hiring is to get someone who has never been a head coach. Cal is littlered with those, most of which you listed. Wyking Jones was someone who had no right to be Cal's head coach. Had never done anything on his own.
Post removed:
by user
helltopay1
everything ( and I mean everything) starts with the Chancellor. he/she needs to be fairly young, energetic, loves football and basketball, amiable, accessible, willing to buck the perennial impediments to sustained success in those areas, needs to prioritize hiring the best possible coaching candidates even if it means breaking the budget, needs to be willing to teach the teachable that sustained success in these areas is in no way incompatible with the mission of the University, and, last, but not least, needs to enlist the Divine on occasion to help realize the goal.......Where to find such a person????Let us begin the search..
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.