Duke Brennan

3,895 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by HearstMining
bearmanpg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks as if Cal has offered this big.....

https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/duke-brennan
calumnus
bearmanpg said:

NA, but has offers from ASU, UCI, Georgia, Wake Forrest, Montana...
KoreAmBear
Looks like a great get. Good hands, athletic, can run the floor and shoot, etc. Doing this against little guys but seeing a 6'10" kid move like that is impressive.

KoreAmBear
calumnus said:

bearmanpg said:

NA, but has offers from ASU, UCI, Georgia, Wake Forrest, Montana...
At least it's not UCLA, Kentucky, Gonzaga and Ohio State.
calumnus
KoreAmBear said:

Looks like a great get. Good hands, athletic, can run the floor and shoot, etc. Doing this against little guys but seeing a 6'10" kid move like that is impressive.

Yeah, thankfully he looks A LOT better here than in the video I looked at earlier (why I didn't post it). His footwork in particular looks much much better (ie very good whereas he shuffled his feet and traveled in the other) and mostly just dunked, looking like a football player playing basketball.

In 2022, when he would come in, Anticevich and likely Kelly will be gone. Lars, Thorpe and Kuany will be seniors. Our biggest players after that at this point will be the 6'7" incoming freshmen (then sophomores). It is not clear how many scholarships we will have to give out for 2022 and clearly we still hope to get Lewis in the 2023 class, but we will need more guys who can play upfront. None of the other guys we have offered are showing any interest according to the websites, so hopefully Brennan comes to Cal.

SFCityBear
I have a couple of questions:

He plays for Hillcrest, the best HS program in Arizona. And he was good enough to get invited to the Pangos All-American camp, so why does verbal commits have him ranked only as a 2-star recruit?

And why is Arizona not all over him? ASU is interested, but not AZ, apparently.

philbert
here's an interesting writeup on him.

https://arizonapreps.com/duke-brennan-picking-up-offers/
SFCityBear
philbert said:

here's an interesting writeup on him.

https://arizonapreps.com/duke-brennan-picking-up-offers/

Thanks for this article. Toughness is a good thing. We haven't had much of that since Cuonzo, except for Bradley. And toughness in the post is a really good thing.
calumnus
SFCityBear said:

He plays for Hillcrest, the best HS program in Arizona. And he was good enough to get invited to the Pangos All-American camp, so why does verbal commits have him ranked only as a 2-star recruit?

He seems to have improved his skills and is getting more offers and is rising in the rankings as a result. My guess is he ends up a 3 star if he gets more low P5 interest.

The guy he reminds me of is Nick Vanderlaan.
SFCityBear
calumnus said:

SFCityBear said:

He seems to have improved his skills and is getting more offers and is rising in the rankings as a result. My guess is he ends up a 3 star if he gets more low P5 interest.

The guy he reminds me of is Nick Vanderlaan.
For the last few seasons, I would would have been happy with Nick Vanderlaan in the post for Cal.
stu
Committed to Arizona State.
calumnus
stu said:

Didn't want to compete
sluggo
calumnus said:

stu said:

Didn't want to compete
Don't need him. Got a ton of recruits lined up to take his place.
stu
Considering the average weight of MBB players I think a ton would be about 10. I've seen a list of recruits with exactly 10 names remaining but I've seen no indications any of those 10 have chosen Cal.
Big C

LOL. Hard to detect sarcasm over the internet... sometimes.
calumnus
sluggo said:

calumnus said:

stu said:

Didn't want to compete

The good news is we don't have many slots available for 2022 anyway. My guess is we are all in on Mahaney and Prince. They both appear to have talent and interest. If they don't come we will likely just wait and see who is available in the transfer portal. The worst thing we can do is get desperate and offer a project who will take a scholarship for 5 years riding the bench.
sluggo
Big C said:

LOL. Hard to detect sarcasm over the internet... sometimes.
Yes, sometimes sarcasm is hard to detect, but not always.
philbert
I had successfully ignored our basketball program for a little while until this post came up in my notifications.
sluggo
calumnus said:

sluggo said:

calumnus said:

stu said:

Didn't want to compete

The good news is we don't have many slots available for 2022 anyway. My guess is we are all in on Mahaney and Prince. They both appear to have talent and interest. If they don't come we will likely just wait and see who is available in the transfer portal. The worst thing we can do is get desperate and offer a project who will take a scholarship for 5 years riding the bench.
The transfer portal has worked out great. (I don't even like sarcasm, but Cal basketball ...)
stu
Is there a transfer portal for coaches?
sluggo
stu said:

Is there a transfer portal for coaches?
Laughed out loud and would have spit up my drink if I had been drinking.
SFCityBear
calumnus said:

sluggo said:

calumnus said:

stu said:

Didn't want to compete

Project big men are a dime a dozen. We already have two and that is more than enough.
SFCityBear
puget sound cal fan
Brennan is far more athletic and polished a post than Nick. Brennan's footwork looks like he attended Pete Newell's "big man camp."
puget sound cal fan
Yeah, I read that. IMHO, not landing Brennan, a skilled true center, will hurt Fox's chances to land Lewis in 2023. Lewis, like Rabb, will not want to play Center.
calumnus
puget sound cal fan said:

Brennan is far more athletic and polished a post than Nick. Brennan's footwork looks like he attended Pete Newell's "big man camp."

I guess we will see when we play ASU next year
calumnus

Yeah, I read that. IMHO, not landing Brennan, a skilled true center, will hurt Fox's chances to land Lewis in 2023. Lewis, like Rabb, will not want to play Center.

Lewis has signed up for the new semipro development league. He is not coming to Cal.
Civil Bear

NVL actually did attend Newell's camp and was very skilled at getting low post position - one of the best I've seen at Cal. His problem was his hands of stone. He would get great position inside only to fumble away the entry pass.
HearstMining
My favorite example of good footwork was Mark McNamara. Not particularly quick or athletic but knew how to get position, could catch the pass and had a clear idea of what to do with it. Unfortunately, in the NBA he ran into guys who were athletic AND had good footwork so he was less effective, but he still had a credible 8 year career. Of course, when I say "not athletic" I meant that he was still way more athletic than most of us, but it's all relative.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.