if you use StubHub to sell unused tix, new IRS rule for 2022...

16,421 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by bearsandgiants
CalVC2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
StubHub says they will issue 1099-Ks to the IRS for anyone who sells more than $600 in gross sales from tickets. I rarely do, but rec'd an email from SH asking me to upload my TID#, so looked into it.

Also fun that they calculate the amount reported from gross sales and don't care what you paid for the tickets. Note that they will use the date you were paid as the record (so if you sold tickets in December 2021 but haven't yet been paid since game hasn't been played yet, you will still be accountable in 2022).

StubHub note on new tax ruling for 2022
oskidunker
I used to make a lot of money using stub hub but-not really needing to do it anymore. Better to just give the tickets away.
Go Bears!
KoreAmBear
CalVC2 said:

StubHub says they will issue 1099-Ks to the IRS for anyone who sells more than $600 in gross sales from tickets. I rarely do, but rec'd an email from SH asking me to upload my TID#, so looked into it.

Also fun that they calculate the amount reported from gross sales and don't care what you paid for the tickets. Note that they will use the date you were paid as the record (so if you sold tickets in December 2021 but haven't yet been paid since game hasn't been played yet, you will still be accountable in 2022).

Yikes flipping tickets not so lucrative. Not giving you cost basis is highway robbery.
Civil Bear
KoreAmBear said:

CalVC2 said:

Yikes flipping tickets not so lucrative. Not giving you cost basis is highway robbery.
I'm guessing StubHub is leaving that to the seller to work out with the IRS since they don't know what the seller actually paid for them. I would hope they at least deduct the fees paid to StubHub!
Cal8285
Civil Bear said:

KoreAmBear said:

CalVC2 said:

I'm guessing StubHub is leaving that to the seller to work out with the IRS since they don't know what the seller actually paid for them. I would hope they at least deduct the fees paid to StubHub!
Correct, it isn't StubHub's right to give anybody a cost basis or to deduct any costs from income. The fees paid to StubHub, the cost of the tickets, those need to be put in by the individual taxpayer in preparing taxes. Nobody should end up paying taxes on the money they lost on tickets they would otherwise end up eating.

The big questions are for the IRS, or as StubHub says,, "your tax advisor." But how many ordinary season ticket holders for a college or pro sports team who don't otherwise need tax advisors want to figure out the complexities of the Internal Revenue Code and Regulations, or the complexities of tax forms? Even if you have a tax advisor, how much in cost will it add for the tax advisor to figure things out?

What if I buy $8000.00 worth of season tickets, I use $4000,00 worth for myself, for higher quality games I sell $1,000 worth for $2,000 on StubHub, for medium quality games I sell $2,000 worth for $1,000 worth on StubHub, and I simply eat another $1000 worth of crappy games. Do I have to prove which games I went to or gave to family members or friends and which I ate? Do I not get a loss on the crappy games I ate? I assume that at least I can combine the games I sold for a profit with the games I sold for a loss, so in the above example, I break even and have no income to declare, but I don't know.

What about tickets I use myself, should I have income when, by game time, the tickets I used were worth 5 times what I bought them for? Should I have a loss when, by game time, the tickets I used were worth 20% of what I bought them for? I presume the IRS ignores those issues, but if I pay taxes on the net income from all tickets I sold on SH, combining those sold at a profit and those at a loss, then I might decide to sell more games at a loss to reduce my taxable gain rather than either eat them or use them myself.

Ugh. It definitely makes one think twice, or thrice, or ten times about selling tickets on SH if the total for the year is going to be over $600.
philbert
I think the easiest way is to just account for the games you sell, whether for profit or loss. If you know the list price (cost) of each ticket and what you sell them for, the accounting should be easy. Unless you resell as a business, not sure you can really take into account tickets you eat. But i guess whatever you think you can get away with if you get audited.
Chapman_is_Gone

Apparently, children don't have to file a tax return unless their income exceeds the amount of the standard deduction (~$12,000).

What would stop me from entering my child's SSN in Stubhub in "his/her" account, and sell all my excess tickets through him/her?

I did a Google search, and I can't seem to find if Stubhub requires its users to be 18+.
KoreAmBear
Chapman_is_Gone said:

Apparently, children don't have to file a tax return unless their income exceeds the amount of the standard deduction (~$12,000).

What would stop me from entering my child's SSN in Stubhub in "his/her" account, and sell all my excess tickets through him/her?

I did a Google search, and I can't seem to find if Stubhub requires its users to be 18+.

You don't have to file unless you make $12,500 and under 65. So they could theoretically can be over 18. You get $14,250 to work with if you are 65 and over. Can use your parents' SSNs. They can live off their savings and cash under the table.

*This scenario is for entertainment value only and not financial advice
GMP
Chapman_is_Gone said:

Sounds like tax fraud.
ColoradoBear
GMP said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

Sounds like tax fraud.

What if the procedes go to the kiddo's college fund?
RedlessWardrobe
Also, I guess if you have a 16 year old kid you would be able to sell any ticket you bought on stub hub to him/her at a "loss." Bring back the good old human scalper days!
ColoradoBear
Cal8285 said:

Ugh. It definitely makes one think twice, or thrice, or ten times about selling tickets on SH if the total for the year is going to be over $600.

It's not just StubHub that has to report. I just sold some tix through Ticketmaster and they almost immediately sent me an email re: the new IRS rules and the requirement for my SSN to release funds.

Perhaps - and obviously there is no guarantee things go smoothly given that the IRS is involved - there will be simple ways to offset 1099K's with a cost basis without going to an accountant. This will be widespread enough that many many people get caught up with getting 1099K's. (I'd guess eBay also has to report even if people are selling old junk at 20% of cost to clear the closets out?).

The season ticket issue is a big one as the face values absolutely don't reflect the true value of the games. Even harder is the what if one person manages a ticket group of friends - sales/purchases might go one person's 1099K. Still a lot of cash or beers changing hands. I'm sure most season ticket holders have had some stinker games -games that cost $100 face, but are going for $30 on StubHub - where they have to cojoles friends into attending maybe in trade for a ride and a couple beers. And in the past that's been fine since you either went to the marquee sold out game or sold it for 2-3x face. But now maybe it would make sense to sell the crap game on StubHub just to have an electronic record of the loss to offset the big sales and the 1099K they generated? Or are there just so many 1099K's generated now that any way of dealing with them won't be scrutinized... if in reason.

Either way, what you really don't want to be doing is having payouts go through StubHub and getting TWO 1099k's generated for the same transaction. I can see that happening when one goes thrid party -> PayPal -> personal bank account. Worried about that with Cal tickets, but the demand is so low as of late I've just been eating them.

philbert
There will be tons of folks that get hit with 1099s. Remember, this law is largely aimed at gig workers that get paid via Paypal, Venmo, cash app, etc. (Luckily, payments to friends is exempt) Doubt anyone really needs an accountant to navigate this.

Stubhub and ebay already had a system in place, but it only kicked in for sellers above 20K in proceeds and 200 transactions.

Buy yeah, if you previously ate tickets, it'd be better to sell them for a cent on SH to help you offset a profitable sale.
philbert
ColoradoBear said:

Either way, what you really don't want to be doing is having payouts go through StubHub and getting TWO 1099k's generated for the same transaction. I can see that happening when one goes thrid party -> PayPal -> personal bank account. Worried about that with Cal tickets, but the demand is so low as of late I've just been eating them.

For SH (and eBay), you can link your bank account and get paid via direct deposit. Avoid Paypal in this case so you don't get double counting on your 1099.
calfan2011
this might help,

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/1099k-season-tickets-cost-basis/01/2389247
bearsandgiants
People are going to have 1099s bursting from their mailboxes this January. Any gross "income" over $600 processed by apple pay, PayPal, stub hub, eBay, venmo, zelle, draft kings, etc, will all be coming back to haunt you. If course, you only OWE tax on net gains, but say for example, you deposited 500 into a sports gaming account, won 60 ten-dollar bets and lost 60 as well (net of fees). You still have 500 in your account. You gotta report your 600 income and offset it with 600 in losses, all on paper, all on your return. It's nightmare for the average Joe, which is why we're hiring 87,000 new IRS agents over the next 10 years to give you a helping hand. lol
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.