Our next coach watch

14,559 Views | 156 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by philbert
socaltownie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just for fun

The Kicker seems to be struggling right now at UCSB. 7-7
Travis is doing "OK" - 4-2 in the big sky, 11.-6 overall

Who else should we put on the list?
Take care of your Chicken
HearstMining
How about Todd Golden at USF? You could argue that he hasn't proven himself but by the time he does to everyone's satisfaction, there will be more competition for his services. The Dons' record is 15-3 and the competition isn't all chopped liver: https://usfdons.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
Certainly by the end of the season when USF has played St Mary's and Gonzaga, we'll know more.
CalLifer
Dennis Gates, 11-4 this year at Cleveland State.

Shantay Legans, 10-8 this year in his first year at Portland.
BeachedBear
I would put Golden at the top of my list. Taking a leap of faith on a young up and comer seems like a good strategy for Cal these days.

Legans and Gates seem to fit that bill as well, but Travis may be showing his ceiling at Montana. If he were killing it there, I'd be more enthusiastic (but so would every other team).

As for the Kicker, I spent a lot of time with him, when I was coaching youth bball and he was on Braun's staff. I know he can coach and recruit. Other than his taint from UA (two issues), he seems ideal, but his sights may be higher than Cal - just sayin'
ducky23
Gates with Theo would be like a wet dream
KoreAmBear
ducky23 said:

Yes I would love them back and also excited about the coaching staff they could assemble.
calumnus
BeachedBear said:

I would put Golden at the top of my list. Taking a leap of faith on a young up and comer seems like a good strategy for Cal these days.

Legans and Gates seem to fit that bill as well, but Travis may be showing his ceiling at Montana. If he were killing it there, I'd be more enthusiastic (but so would every other team).

As for the Kicker, I spent a lot of time with him, when I was coaching youth bball and he was on Braun's staff. I know he can coach and recruit. Other than his taint from UA (two issues), he seems ideal, but his sights may be higher than Cal - just sayin'

I like the list so far. USF under Golden is really punching above their weight. Great sign, great energy. Plus, the name works well for Cal marketing ;-)

Montana may be its own ceiling. Travis has done well there relative to a lot of other great coaches. He definitely should have gotten the job last time (and the time before that, maybe even the time before that) in retrospect).

I do like the idea of going with a young guy. Golden, Gates, Legans….

Krystkowiak if you are looking for "experience."

I'd put feelers out to Kidd.

Other up and coming coaches in the Tournament with Wesr Coast ties?
bearister
ducky23 said:

Precipitation?
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Big C

Golden: Great idea in name alone! I'd want to really kick the tires though

Gates: Yes. It was no, until he proved himself as a HC

Legans: Yes, maybe

DeCuire: Yes before. Now I'm wondering if he would bother applying for the 3rd time. A man has his pride.

Kicker: Yes. I feel like he would throw everything he has into the program and get things done, like the practice facility, recruiting and activating the fan base. You know, everybody now referring to him simply as "kicker" is starting to make me laugh (so I'm doing it, too!). That was one data point, but I am so over it. Geez, if we hired him, have a Jorge Bobblehead Night, reenact the episode for laughs and end it with a hugs all around.

Fox: I hope he wins a lot of games the rest of this season. I am pulling for our current coach to do well! If he can still get things turned around, that is my first choice.

CALiforniALUM
BeachedBear said:

I like the list so far. USF under Golden is really punching above their weight. Great sign, great energy. Plus, the name works well for Cal marketing ;-)

Cal Marketing? We definitely will need a thread titled "How many ways can Cal Marketing miss a layup with a Golden opportunity?" They do seem to have a reputation for underperforming.
KoreAmBear
Big C said:

DeCuire: Yes before. Now I'm wondering if he would bother applying for the 3rd time. A man has his pride.

Kicker: Yes. I feel like he would throw everything he has into the program and get things done, like the practice facility, recruiting and activating the fan base

Fox: I hope he wins a lot of games the rest of this season. I am pulling for our current coach to do well! If he can still get things turned around, that is my first choice.

What's turned around, because to a certain extent he has done it already. We are a tough out at home. We are an auto W for decent teams outside of Haas. And this may be the best it will get before the seniors leave. How much more do you expect him to turn it around?
Big C
KoreAmBear said:

Big C said:

Kicker: Yes. I feel like he would throw everything he has into the program and get things done, like the practice facility, recruiting and activating the fan base

What's turned around, because to a certain extent he has. We are a tough out at home. We are an auto W on the road. And this may be the best it will get when the seniors leave. How much more do you expect him to turn it around?

Honestly, not much. Depending on how we finish the year, I could see maybe pulling the plug in March. But if we get close to, say 15 wins, maybe he gets another year (where he would have to demonstrate continued progress, at least in recruiting, but preferably also W/L).

I feel like I'll know it when the time comes. The point is, he's our guy right now and we're in mid-season and so I'm not throwing in the towel on him. That's why I included him on the list: Right in the middle of the season, only 2 weeks after people here were showering him with compliments, I sorta felt like I needed to take a shower, discussing his replacement. (But I did it anyway, what with this being a fan site and his results-to-date and all... )
bearmanpg
DeCuire is probably not going to make a third try after the way the AD did him last time and he is from Seattle...could be looking at UW job if it opens....
HoopDreams
Decuire - yes

Gates - yes

Legans - pass

The Kicker - big pass
BearSD
bearmanpg said:

DeCuire is probably not going to make a third try after the way the AD did him last time and he is from Seattle...could be looking at UW job if it opens....

This is DeCuire's 8th season as Montana head coach. At this point, doubt he looks at Cal any differently from any other Pac-12 job that might open up.
RedlessWardrobe
Big C said:

KoreAmBear said:

Big C said:

What's turned around, because to a certain extent he has. We are a tough out at home. We are an auto W on the road. And this may be the best it will get when the seniors leave. How much more do you expect him to turn it around?

Honestly, not much. Depending on how we finish the year, I could see maybe pulling the plug in March. But if we get close to, say 15 wins, maybe he gets another year (where he would have to demonstrate continued progress, at least in recruiting, but preferably also W/L).

I feel like I'll know it when the time comes. The point is, he's our guy right now and we're in mid-season and so I'm not throwing in the towel on him. That's why I included him on the list: Right in the middle of the season, only 2 weeks after people here were showering him with compliments, I sorta felt like I needed to take a shower, discussing his replacement. (But I did it anyway, what with this being a fan site and his results-to-date and all... )
Somebody clue me in. What is Fox' current contract and is there a buyout? If there is any kind of buyout I don't think there's any way he gets canned. Just don't see administration doing that at this point.
BC Calfan
Here's an article from a year ago:

10 Coaches on the Rise in Men's College Basketball

These are the coaches we should be looking at, young up and comers. I'd much rather take a chance on someone from this list instead of a retread. The Western region coaches are:

Stan Johnson, Loyola Marymount
Mike Magpayo, UC Riverside
Mark Pope, BYU
Niko Medved, Colorado State

Another article, but older:

40 Under 40: We rank the best young coaches in men's college basketball

Shantay Legans, Eastern Washington
Brian Michaelson, Gonzaga assistant
Todd Golden, San Francisco
Eran Ganot, Hawai'i
Ali Farokhmanesh, Colorado State assistant
John Andrzejek, Washington State assistant

calbearinamaze
socaltownie said:

Just for fun

How certain are we that JK will again use a "search firm"......or not?
Big C
RedlessWardrobe said:

Big C said:

KoreAmBear said:

Big C said:

Somebody clue me in. What is Fox' current contract and is there a buyout? If there is any kind of buyout I don't think there's any way he gets canned. Just don't see administration doing that at this point.

As far as I know, Fox signed the standard 5-year contract that usually does not contain a significant buyout.

This is his third year on that contract,

Note that this is also the final year of Wyking Jones' Cal contract (though it is typical to make some sort of cash settlement, instead of just continuing to pay his salary). Not sure if him taking the Assistant job at UW mitigated any of that.

If I understand these things like I think I do, if he is here next season, he might be given an extension of some sort for recruiting purposes, but that extension might well have a significant buy-out clause.
Golden One
bearup said:

socaltownie said:

Just for fun

You can bet the farm that he will again use a search firm.
ducky23
HoopDreams said:

Decuire - yes

Gates - yes

Legans - pass

The Kicker - big pass

Never forget!!!!!!

I feel like if he had kicked anyone else, maybe I could've forgiven him. But not Jorge.
ducky23
calumnus said:

BeachedBear said:

Krystkowiak if you are looking for "experience."

I'd put feelers out to Kidd.

Coach K would be a coup. And he seems eager to get back in the game

We had our chance at Kidd and f'ing blew it. Now it's too late
KoreAmBear
ducky23 said:

HoopDreams said:

Decuire - yes

Gates - yes

Legans - pass

The Kicker - big pass

Never forget!!!!!!

I feel like if he had kicked anyone else, maybe I could've forgiven him. But not Jorge.
Like who, Bak Bak?
KoreAmBear
Golden One said:

bearup said:

socaltownie said:

Just for fun

Give me the money I will get him the same results:

--Steve Lavin
--Bobby Hurley
--Herb Sendek
--Cuonzo Martin
--Steve Alford

Where shall I send my W-9 and direct deposit info?
calbearinamaze
KoreAmBear said:

ducky23 said:

HoopDreams said:

Decuire - yes

Gates - yes

Legans - pass

The Kicker - big pass

Never forget!!!!!!

Like who, Bak Bak?
+1000

lol
stu
KoreAmBear said:

ducky23 said:

Like who, Bak Bak?
I wish he had tried kicking MSF. After that he'd be coaching wheelchair basketball.
calumnus
stu said:

KoreAmBear said:

ducky23 said:

Like who, Bak Bak?
I wish he had tried kicking MSF. After that he'd be coaching wheelchair basketball.

Jorge was gonna kick his ass if he wasn't held back.
calbearinamaze
stu said:

KoreAmBear said:

ducky23 said:

Like who, Bak Bak?
I would NOT enjoy having either Jorge or MSF being pissed at me.
Both of them? => Maybe the kicker has nightmares.
SBGold
Coach Larry K would be great
SFCityBear
KoreAmBear said:

ducky23 said:

HoopDreams said:

Decuire - yes

Gates - yes

Legans - pass

The Kicker - big pass

Never forget!!!!!!

Like who, Bak Bak?
At lease he had the cojos, kicking the toughest guy on the Cal team.

And Bak gets kicked around enough for any Cal alumni, right here on this board.
SFCityBear
BearSD
SBGold said:

Coach Larry K would be great
Meh.

Look at the records: Ben Braun at Cal > Larry Krystkowiak at Utah.

PtownBear1
Yeah, I wouldn't want Larry K either. I mean obviously I'd take him over Fox, but would much rather have an up-and-comer with some fresh hype rather than a rethread.
calumnus
PtownBear1 said:

Yeah, I wouldn't want Larry K either. I mean obviously I'd take him over Fox, but would much rather have an up-and-comer with some fresh hype rather than a rethread.

Yeah, that is the way I feel about it.
GMP
Golden One said:

bearup said:

socaltownie said:

Just for fun

And he should. He doesn't know what the heck he's doing.

82gradDLSdad
GMP said:

Golden One said:

bearup said:

socaltownie said:

Just for fun

And he should. He doesn't know what the heck he's doing.

I think you're right and why I think he should not only be using a search firm but also a choosing and hiring one. Sort of like using an architect and engineering firm but then deciding to build your own house when you don't even know how to work a hammer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.