ND Okafor

4,612 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Big C
sluggo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Always looking for Cal basketball news. Here is a video about ND Okafor, which is really an ad for NBA Academy Latin America. Don't need an instagram account to watch.

https://instagr.am/p/CcQLeVyK4Na
oskidunker
One jump shot. Encouraging.
Go Bears!
Big C

Seems to have an "NBA-type physique". Will be interesting to see how tall he actually is. Just his international journey to this point may be an indicator of his maturity and motivation to work hard. Assuming he takes to coaching, I'm thinking he becomes a good player for us... at some point.
sluggo
Big C said:

Seems to have an "NBA-type physique". Will be interesting to see how tall he actually is. Just his international journey to this point may be an indicator of his maturity and motivation to work hard. Assuming he takes to coaching, I'm thinking he becomes a good player for us... at some point.
I have seen him play a lot. (There is tons of video on youtube and I am not well). Height is for sure not a problem. I think he is very close to his listed 6'9''. He has long but not freakish arms. I bet he is more like 220 or 230 than 210 and will get up to 240 in the strength program.

He has a very long ways to go as a player. It is too bad he is being hyped by the staff. He can jump and does show some nimble feet, maybe from playing soccer, but his basketball footwork is not there and he can't shoot or dribble. It will take time. He seems like a nice guy who is not afraid of a difficult journey, so success is possible.
SFCityBear
Big C said:

I don't follow recruiting much at all, but according to the Bear Insider website, Okafor had offers from Arizona, Baylor, and Georgetown, three schools with very good basketball programs and reputations, and another offer from Georgia. They all must have seen something they liked.

I'll go out on not much of a limb and say I think he starts, as long as he can absorb Fox's coaching and system. Who is his competition? Kuany? Obinna? Either he starts or maybe you play Kuany and Okafor together and Lars comes off the bench. In any case, Okafor, if he is healthy and is coachable, will see major minutes.
SFCityBear
Big C
sluggo said:

Big C said:

I have seen him play a lot. (There is tons of video on youtube and I am not well). Height is for sure not a problem. I think he is very close to his listed 6'9''. He has long but not freakish arms. I bet he is more like 220 or 230 than 210 and will get up to 240 in the strength program.

He has a very long ways to go as a player. It is too bad he is being hyped by the staff. He can jump and does show some nimble feet, maybe from playing soccer, but his basketball footwork is not there and he can't shoot or dribble. It will take time. He seems like a nice guy who is not afraid of a difficult journey, so success is possible.

Wait, the staff has been "hyping" something to do with Cal Basketball?!? Wow, they are on the move lately!
sluggo
SFCityBear said:

Big C said:

I don't follow recruiting much at all, but according to the Bear Insider website, Okafor had offers from Arizona, Baylor, and Georgetown, three schools with very good basketball programs and reputations, and another offer from Georgia. They all must have seen something they liked.

I'll go out on not much of a limb and say I think he starts, as long as he can absorb Fox's coaching and system. Who is his competition? Kuany? Obinna? Either he starts or maybe you play Kuany and Okafor together and Lars comes off the bench. In any case, Okafor, if he is healthy and is coachable, will see major minutes.
No chance he starts over Kuany or Lars T.. Not anywhere close to where they are after three years. But if they start Kuany at 3 with Celestine injured I guess it is possible. The lack of passing skill on the team would be difficult.
sluggo
Big C said:

sluggo said:

Big C said:

Wait, the staff has been "hyping" something to do with Cal Basketball?!? Wow, they are on the move lately!
Bill Walton called him a "stud" and the term "NBA talent" has been floated. It is not fair to him.
SFCityBear
sluggo said:

SFCityBear said:

Big C said:

No chance he starts over Kuany or Lars T.. Not anywhere close to where they are after three years. But if they start Kuany at 3 with Celestine injured I guess it is possible. The lack of passing skill on the team would be difficult.
Well, you may be right. I violated one of my principles in predicting success for a recruit without having seen him play in person. I have no faith whatsoever in a recruit's video mixtapes, and not much more in full game tapes. No matter what you say, however, I have hope for the young fella, at least until I see him play. I have seen Kuany and Lars play, and after several years, I still have some hope for them too, but it is dwindling. The clock is running out for their chance to make a strong impression at Cal. If we get into conference and are still losing most of our games, Fox needs to give several of the players on the bench the minutes that will get them used to the speed and talent level of some opponents, so they will be better prepared for future games at Cal. They can' t learn that by watching tapes.

Another big issue is that Lars and Kuany have never played serious starter minutes before. Last season, Lars averaged 14 minutes in a 40 minute game, and Kuany slightly better at 17 minutes. Lars played 30 minutes or more only 3 times, and 20-29 minutes only 5 times. Kuany played 20 minutes or more in only 8 games, and never played 30 minutes or more in any game. Plus Kuany has had injuries in the past. Do these two players have the stamina to play at least twice as many minutes as they played last season? And then there are personal fouls. On a per 40 minute basis, last season, Kuany would have fouled out of every game. One or both is going to need plenty of backup. So the only other big we have is Okafor, unless you count Newell, but I read somewhere that he is a perimeter player. He is listed at 6-8, and Rivals had him as a PF, but 247 had him as a SF while playing for the academy in Florida.

If you play Lars and Kuany most of the inside minutes, who backs up the pair? Aside from Okafor, Anyanwu is the only returning inside player and he is only 6-7 He is a battler, but has no offense. He will be tasked with backing up both of them. At SF, with Celestine injured, you will have Alajiki and Bowser. Where does Newell play? Devin might play SF, but he is likely going to play SG, and maybe PG, if he is eligible. So when we have to sit Kuany or Lars, we can go small, which might be entertaining, if nothing else.

No disrespect to you, but I hope Okafor is better than you say, or that Fox can work some magic on him the rest of the summer, and turn him into an asset. Some coaches can do that. I've been pleased with his work over the last summer with some of our players, including Lars and Kuany.
SFCityBear
calumnus
sluggo said:

SFCityBear said:

Big C said:

We have 4 players listed at over 6'7":
Lars 7'1 255
Kuany 6'9" 194
Okafor 6'9" 235
Newell 6'8" 217

Lars only averaged 14.3 min last year, 12.9 the year before and 14.4 as a freshman.

It seems to me Okafor is going to get a lot of minutes at center and maybe PF too, with Newell and Anywanu as wildcards.
sluggo
SFCityBear said:

sluggo said:

SFCityBear said:

Big C said:

Well, you may be right. I violated one of my principles in predicting success for a recruit without having seen him play in person. I have no faith whatsoever in a recruit's video mixtapes, and not much more in full game tapes. No matter what you say, however, I have hope for the young fella, at least until I see him play. I have seen Kuany and Lars play, and after several years, I still have some hope for them too, but it is dwindling. The clock is running out for their chance to make a strong impression at Cal. If we get into conference and are still losing most of our games, Fox needs to give several of the players on the bench the minutes that will get them used to the speed and talent level of some opponents, so they will be better prepared for future games at Cal. They can' t learn that by watching tapes.

Another big issue is that Lars and Kuany have never played serious starter minutes before. Last season, Lars averaged 14 minutes in a 40 minute game, and Kuany slightly better at 17 minutes. Lars played 30 minutes or more only 3 times, and 20-29 minutes only 5 times. Kuany played 20 minutes or more in only 8 games, and never played 30 minutes or more in any game. Plus Kuany has had injuries in the past. Do these two players have the stamina to play at least twice as many minutes as they played last season? And then there are personal fouls. On a per 40 minute basis, last season, Kuany would have fouled out of every game. One or both is going to need plenty of backup. So the only other big we have is Okafor, unless you count Newell, but I read somewhere that he is a perimeter player. He is listed at 6-8, and Rivals had him as a PF, but 247 had him as a SF while playing for the academy in Florida.

If you play Lars and Kuany most of the inside minutes, who backs up the pair? Aside from Okafor, Anyanwu is the only returning inside player and he is only 6-7 He is a battler, but has no offense. He will be tasked with backing up both of them. At SF, with Celestine injured, you will have Alajiki and Bowser. Where does Newell play? Devin might play SF, but he is likely going to play SG, and maybe PG, if he is eligible. So when we have to sit Kuany or Lars, we can go small, which might be entertaining, if nothing else.

No disrespect to you, but I hope Okafor is better than you say, or that Fox can work some magic on him the rest of the summer, and turn him into an asset. Some coaches can do that. I've been pleased with his work over the last summer with some of our players, including Lars and Kuany.

I don't mind you disagreeing with me. I have seen Okafor play 3 or 4 full games, so my opinion is informed, it is not based on a mixtape. Okafor will play because he has to with no Thorpe or Kelly. But he is two or three years away.
sluggo
calumnus said:

sluggo said:

SFCityBear said:

Big C said:

Lars 7'1 255
Kuany 6'9" 194
Okafor 6'9" 235
Newell 6'8" 217

Lars only averaged 14.3 min last year, 12.9 the year before and 14.4 as a freshman.

It seems to me Okafor is going to get a lot of minutes at center and maybe PF too, with Newell and Anywanu as wildcards.
Nothing magic about over 6'7''. Alajiki is 6'7'', strong, and a good athlete. He will have to get some minutes down low. Anyanwu will get minutes too, he has to. Newell has not played in the last two years other than a few games. I suspect that he will not play at all.

But I agree Okafor will get minutes as the second biggest guy on the team and a good athlete. But Kuany and Lars T. have shown they are pac12 level. That takes some time for developmental players.
Big C

Lars and Kuany will get all the minutes they can handle. They will need to have breakout years if we are to exceed last year's lousy record by even a bit. They both showed extended flashes last season, so I am guardedly optimistic.

Obinna Anyanwu may step up and give us a decent 20 mpg. I loved the way he battled towards the end of last season. He is undersized, but sort of reminds me of a poor man's Tremaine Fowlkes.

That probably still leaves some minutes open, especially if there are injuries (and Kuany and Anyanwu have been injured now and then). So Okafor is probably going to have to get some minutes, by default. A good coach (hey, no cracks here, guys) should be able to simplify his role for him to maximize his productivity in brief spurts.
calumnus
Big C said:

Lars and Kuany will get all the minutes they can handle. They will need to have breakout years if we are to exceed last year's lousy record by even a bit. They both showed extended flashes last season, so I am guardedly optimistic.

Obinna Anyanwu may step up and give us a decent 20 mpg. I loved the way he battled towards the end of last season. He is undersized, but sort of reminds me of a poor man's Tremaine Fowlkes.

That probably still leaves some minutes open, especially if there are injuries (and Kuany and Anyanwu have been injured now and then). So Okafor is probably going to have to get some minutes, by default. A good coach (hey, no cracks here, guys) should be able to simplify his role for him to maximize his productivity in brief spurts.

Agreed. Based on last year's advanced stats WS/40:
2. Lars
3. Kuany
4. Alajiki
8. Anywanwu
10. Brown
12. Hyder
13. Roberson

I think Lars, Kuany and Alajiki starting are near certainties.

Okafor will play, just because of his size. If there is debate that he should start, that will be a really good thing. Same goes for Newell.

I think the big questions are at guard, depending on who is eligible and how good the newcomers are, though I guess Brown starting is a certainty.
SFCityBear
sluggo said:

calumnus said:

sluggo said:

SFCityBear said:

Big C said:

Lars 7'1 255
Kuany 6'9" 194
Okafor 6'9" 235
Newell 6'8" 217

Nothing magic about over 6'7''. Alajiki is 6'7'', strong, and a good athlete. He will have to get some minutes down low. Anyanwu will get minutes too, he has to. Newell has not played in the last two years other than a few games. I suspect that he will not play at all.

But I agree Okafor will get minutes as the second biggest guy on the team and a good athlete. But Kuany and Lars T. have shown they are pac12 level. That takes some time for developmental players.

What's wrong with Newell? Was he hurt? Is he still hurt?

I was wondering about his post-graduation year at the basketball academy in Florida and how that went. I figured that it was not a good year, since he only got one offer from the state of Florida, and that was from South Florida.
SFCityBear
SFCityBear
calumnus said:

Big C said:

2. Lars
3. Kuany
4. Alajiki
8. Anywanwu
10. Brown
12. Hyder
13. Roberson

Okafor will play, just because of his size. If there is debate that he should start, that will be a really good thing. Same goes for Newell.

I think the big questions are at guard, depending on who is eligible and how good the newcomers are, though I guess Brown starting is a certainty.
Please explain. This team will be starved for scoring, and Brown, while being a good defender, brings very little to the table in the way of offense. I just don't much like the way the offense looks when he is running it. One of the few things I like about Fox is his ability to identify some transfers who can play, and he has two coming in, Clayton and Askew, who could play some point. Askew did not have many assists at KY and Texas, mostly against P5 competition, but he did feature assists in high school, as I remember. Clayton did average 5 assists per 40 minutes in a 16 game season once. Of course, one of them or both will have to do duty at the SG position. We are so thin.
SFCityBear
Big C

Here's an "X factor" for you: Anybody remember a guy by the name of Monty Bowser? And the junior on his O'Doud team who was better than Bowser was as a senior: Roberson.

Imagine if dem Dragons stepped up this coming season!
calumnus
SFCityBear said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

2. Lars
3. Kuany
4. Alajiki
8. Anywanwu
10. Brown
12. Hyder
13. Roberson

Please explain. This team will be starved for scoring, and Brown, while being a good defender, brings very little to the table in the way of offense. I just don't much like the way the offense looks when he is running it. One of the few things I like about Fox is his ability to identify some transfers who can play, and he has two coming in, Clayton and Askew, who could play some point. Askew did not have many assists at KY and Texas, mostly against P5 competition, but he did feature assists in high school, as I remember. Clayton did average 5 assists per 40 minutes in a 16 game season once. Of course, one of them or both will have to do duty at the SG position. We are so thin.

I am not advocating Brown starting, I am just predicting it, especially to start the season. I agree 100% this team needs scoring, Actually all the teams under Fox have needed scoring, I've been pretty relentless about that. I agree in your observations about Brown.

However, despite that by Fox's choice Brown is our most experienced returning starter. As a poor shooting freshman Brown started half our games over Paris Austin with South at the 2 and/or Fox started Austin and Brown in the backcourt together (all instead of playing Bradley at the 2). That should give you a good indication of Fox's thinking. He likes Brown. A lot.

Brown has started in 62 games for Fox which is nearly as many as all the other returning available players combined (71). He has played 862 more minutes than the next player (Lars).

While I hope Askew is eligible and he and/or Clayton prove worthy of starting and Fox plays the more effective players, I just am certain Fox starts the senior Brown in the backcourt with the other spot up for grabs. He is going to want to really slow down the pace and he trusts his senior to do that more than a hot shot who signed with Kentucky. Maybe he makes a switch later in the season if it is obvious, but I doubt it.
If Askew is eligible he will probably play the 2. If not, Clayton might start at the 2 or just back up Brown. The chances both are available and both play so well Brown gets benched seem very low, but I agree, it would be great.
sluggo
SFCityBear said:

sluggo said:

calumnus said:

sluggo said:

SFCityBear said:

Big C said:

Lars 7'1 255
Kuany 6'9" 194
Okafor 6'9" 235
Newell 6'8" 217

What's wrong with Newell? Was he hurt? Is he still hurt?

I was wondering about his post-graduation year at the basketball academy in Florida and how that went. I figured that it was not a good year, since he only got one offer from the state of Florida, and that was from South Florida.
Newell only played a few games after getting hurt around Christmas. I learned of the injury and reported it here somewhere, but I don't know how to search that, and it doesn't really matter. I have no idea if he is still hurt. He did miss the year before, I think due to covid cancellation, so he has not played much lately.
HearstMining
calumnus said:

SFCityBear said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

2. Lars
3. Kuany
4. Alajiki
8. Anywanwu
10. Brown
12. Hyder
13. Roberson

I am not advocating Brown starting, I am just predicting it, especially to start the season. I agree 100% this team needs scoring, Actually all the teams under Fox have needed scoring, I've been pretty relentless about that. I agree in your observations about Brown.

However, despite that by Fox's choice Brown is our most experienced returning starter. As a poor shooting freshman Brown started half our games over Paris Austin with South at the 2 and/or Fox started Austin and Brown in the backcourt together (all instead of playing Bradley at the 2). That should give you a good indication of Fox's thinking. He likes Brown. A lot.

Brown has started in 62 games for Fox which is nearly as many as all the other returning available players combined (71). He has played 862 more minutes than the next player (Lars).

While I hope Askew is eligible and he and/or Clayton prove worthy of starting and Fox plays the more effective players, I just am certain Fox starts the senior Brown in the backcourt with the other spot up for grabs. He is going to want to really slow down the pace and he trusts his senior to do that more than a hot shot who signed with Kentucky. Maybe he makes a switch later in the season if it is obvious, but I doubt it.
If Askew is eligible he will probably play the 2. If not, Clayton might start at the 2 or just back up Brown. The chances both are available and both play so well Brown gets benched seem very low, but I agree, it would be great.

Above all, Fox values effort - the concept of being a hard worker. So, let's compare Brown to Cal's ultimate hard worker: Jorge Gutierrez. Both joined the team as players with decent athleticism, a strong defensive focus, and absolutely no offensive skills. Each season, Jorge added something to his offensive game: the ability to drive, an outside shot, etc. Looking at Joel's stats, they are actually worse in every category between his second and third seasons.

So, who is the bone-head here? Brown for not focusing on obvious areas to improve or Fox for not coaching this focus and, more importantly, for running an offense where the point guard's only function is to get the ball across the half-court line? Brown's ability to dribble aimlessly and pass the ball around the perimeter for 25 seconds should not be valued skills, but apparently under Fox, they are. Shepard was the only guard who actually passed the ball to the rolling screener (usually Kelly). Dear God, what if Brown wants to take advantage of the COVID exemption and come back for a fifth season?

Sorry, I'm afraid Cal's upcoming basketball season will be one of bleakness and despair and since my local team is the Sac Kings, I know bleakness and despair when I see it. I don't mean to dump on Brown, his improvement trajectory isn't much different than any of the other players Fox has recruited. On an average team, he would come off the bench for 10 minutes a game as a ball-hawking defender, not be the linchpin of a jr high school offensive scheme.
sluggo
HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

SFCityBear said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

2. Lars
3. Kuany
4. Alajiki
8. Anywanwu
10. Brown
12. Hyder
13. Roberson

Above all, Fox values effort - the concept of being a hard worker. So, let's compare Brown to Cal's ultimate hard worker: Jorge Gutierrez. Both joined the team as players with decent athleticism, a strong defensive focus, and absolutely no offensive skills. Each season, Jorge added something to his offensive game: the ability to drive, an outside shot, etc. Looking at Joel's stats, they are actually worse in every category between his second and third seasons.

So, who is the bone-head here? Brown for not focusing on obvious areas to improve or Fox for not coaching this focus and, more importantly, for running an offense where the point guard's only function is to get the ball across the half-court line? Brown's ability to dribble aimlessly and pass the ball around the perimeter for 25 seconds should not be valued skills, but apparently under Fox, they are. Shepard was the only guard who actually passed the ball to the rolling screener (usually Kelly). Dear God, what if Brown wants to take advantage of the COVID exemption and come back for a fifth season?

Sorry, I'm afraid Cal's upcoming basketball season will be one of bleakness and despair and since my local team is the Sac Kings, I know bleakness and despair when I see it. I don't mean to dump on Brown, his improvement trajectory isn't much different than any of the other players Fox has recruited. On an average team, he would come off the bench for 10 minutes a game as a ball-hawking defender, not be the linchpin of a jr high school offensive scheme.
There are different ways to contribute. Brown is a very good athlete who is difficult to defend with one defender and is a good defender. If Cal had better shooting at other positions his offensive skills would be highlighted. But Cal is bringing in two more freshmen non-shooters this year in its race to the bottom, and the transfers are not great shooters, either.
4thGenCal
sluggo said:

HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

SFCityBear said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

2. Lars
3. Kuany
4. Alajiki
8. Anywanwu
10. Brown
12. Hyder
13. Roberson

There are different ways to contribute. Brown is a very good athlete who is difficult to defend with one defender and is a good defender. If Cal had better shooting at other positions his offensive skills would be highlighted. But Cal is bringing in two more freshmen non-shooters this year in its race to the bottom, and the transfers are not great shooters, either.
Agreed - JB is a key player and contributes often without "box score" impact. He is the toughest/fearless player on the roster and his effort level does prod other players defensively. His defensive abilities are very valuable to the team, since he takes on the other team's best ball handler - and He will start barring injury. Last season he was 80% healthy and finally his knee could not take the pain (and thus the season ending knee surgery, which he is responding well to his treatment). While a lot of valid criticisms are stated to his poor FT shooting (just 1.5 attempts a game but not a game breaker impact) and his poor 3 pt shooting (23%) - He did average 3.5 Reb,3.1 assists (vs just 1.8 TO) and 41% FG shooting - all over 27 min/game. Shepard by comparison while a better offensive player clearly, only shot 29% on 3's, 38% FG, 2.9 Reb. 2.5 assists/game.
Cal due to being a poor outside shooting team (and limited interior scoring ability) contributes to JB offensive shooting limitations being highlighted. I do think JB will elevate his game this season and the weakness of the team will be tied to other key areas mentioned by many posters (few good outside shooters, lack of rim protection, limited ability to create/separate for open shots) The roster is simply short of enough Pac12 level players - skill /shoooting and interior toughness is lacking. Going to need the 2 transfers to contribute, Lars to be serviceable, JB to be better/healthy and Kuany and Sam to become consistent 10-12 pt/game players.
BC Calfan
4thGen,
You mentioned the need for both transfers contributing this season. Does that mean you are thinking Askew will be immediately eligible?

Thanks as always for your insight.
sluggo
4thGenCal said:

sluggo said:

HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

SFCityBear said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

2. Lars
3. Kuany
4. Alajiki
8. Anywanwu
10. Brown
12. Hyder
13. Roberson

Agreed - JB is a key player and contributes often without "box score" impact. He is the toughest/fearless player on the roster and his effort level does prod other players defensively. His defensive abilities are very valuable to the team, since he takes on the other team's best ball handler - and He will start barring injury. Last season he was 80% healthy and finally his knee could not take the pain (and thus the season ending knee surgery, which he is responding well to his treatment). While a lot of valid criticisms are stated to his poor FT shooting (just 1.5 attempts a game but not a game breaker impact) and his poor 3 pt shooting (23%) - He did average 3.5 Reb,3.1 assists (vs just 1.8 TO) and 41% FG shooting - all over 27 min/game. Shepard by comparison while a better offensive player clearly, only shot 29% on 3's, 38% FG, 2.9 Reb. 2.5 assists/game.
Cal due to being a poor outside shooting team (and limited interior scoring ability) contributes to JB offensive shooting limitations being highlighted. I do think JB will elevate his game this season and the weakness of the team will be tied to other key areas mentioned by many posters (few good outside shooters, lack of rim protection, limited ability to create/separate for open shots) The roster is simply short of enough Pac12 level players - skill /shoooting and interior toughness is lacking. Going to need the 2 transfers to contribute, Lars to be serviceable, JB to be better/healthy and Kuany and Sam to become consistent 10-12 pt/game players.

All those things need to happen for a semi-competitive, 10th place team like last year. To be competitive for even middle of the conference a new coach is needed who can recruit pac12 level players.
Big C
BC Calfan said:

4thGen,
You mentioned the need for both transfers contributing this season. Does that mean you are thinking Askew will be immediately eligible?

This is the question I had, too. I'm pretty sure MoragaBear posted somewhere that, if he had to bet, he'd bet on immediate eligibility for Askew (paraphrase).

And 4thGen, if you're taking questions, do you think Bowser and Roberson might be able to give us something this season?
4thGenCal
Big C said:

BC Calfan said:

4thGen,

This is the question I had, too. I'm pretty sure MoragaBear posted somewhere that, if he had to bet, he'd bet on immediate eligibility for Askew (paraphrase).

And 4thGen, if you're taking questions, do you think Bowser and Roberson might be able to give us something this season?
I will check on Askew tomorrow, I heard that He was expected to be eligible. Sure hope that both guys can make a noticeable impact (other than spot minutes) but each needs to get a lot stronger and they will need all of the next five months to fill out/gain confidence and improve their shooting stroke. Far too early to make a qualified projection since by November/December either could possibly make notable strides. Betting on it? No - 10-15 minute/game players. It is possible that Obinna, surprises given his physical attributes.
Big C
4thGenCal said:

Big C said:

BC Calfan said:

4thGen,

I will check on Askew tomorrow, I heard that He was expected to be eligible. Sure hope that both guys can make a noticeable impact (other than spot minutes) but each needs to get a lot stronger and they will need all of the next five months to fill out/gain confidence and improve their shooting stroke. Far too early to make a qualified projection since by November/December either could possibly make notable strides. Betting on it? No - 10-15 minute/game players. It is possible that Obinna, surprises given his physical attributes.

I liked what Anyanwu was doing out there for us in February and March: He seemed to have a sixth sense to position himself right in the middle of things... and he was not afraid to battle! Always minutes for a guy like that.
HoopDreams
Big C said:

4thGenCal said:

Big C said:

BC Calfan said:

4thGen,

I liked what Anyanwu was doing out there for us in February and March: He seemed to have a sixth sense to position himself right in the middle of things... and he was not afraid to battle! Always minutes for a guy like that.
Although undersized i think Obinna will be in the front court rotation

He is undersized and doesn't have many offensive skills yet besides putbacks, but he is scrappy and works hard, and can provide some defense depending on match ups

Without Celestine, I am not optimistic
Big C
HoopDreams said:

Big C said:

4thGenCal said:

Big C said:

BC Calfan said:

4thGen,

Although undersized i think Obinna will be in the front court rotation

He is undersized and doesn't have many offensive skills yet besides putbacks, but he is scrappy and works hard, and can provide some defense depending on match ups

Without Celestine, I am not optimistic

Celestine was our only semi-proven shooter, in an era where teams want to always have multiple shooters on the court. Clearly our most glaring weakness, going into the season. Maybe a few of them step up and find the range, but...
HearstMining
Big C said:

4thGenCal said:

Big C said:

BC Calfan said:

4thGen,

My impression from Anyanwu's high school background is that he's a banger and Cal can use that. If he improves his interior footwork and develops a go-to shot a la Andre Kelly, he'll contribute. Then in his third year, maybe add a 10-12 ft jumper.

"Just wishin', and hopin', and thinkin', and prayin" - Dusty Springfield
4thGenCal
BC Calfan said:

4thGen,

Confirming after asking Askew today, that yes He will be eligible. I have not seen him play (players now are going thru individual workouts vs a team structured workout), so no immediate opinion, other than a really respectful young man, who is built solid and said He likes it here.
Housing is a huge need for our football team and to a lesser degree the basketball players. For basketball as briefly described in a string several months ago, 10 players are living in a very good complex w/in 3 blocks of Haas. They are 2 room cottages/separate units, with parking (5 in total - remaining 3 cottages/including a 2 story unit are housing the 11 students) with kitchen, open area room, restroom and the 2 separate bedrooms - 780' so good size/room total. Its a very well maintained property with a rear patio/turfed area for team bonding/relaxing. Due to NCAA rules there must remain no more than a 50/50 tenancy of student athletes to students. However with 10 players accounted for in the property - there is not room currently for the other 3 scholarship players, or walk-on's. Plan's are being submitted to build an additional 2 units over the next year to then be able to have 12 basketball players together/on-site. Really helps for bonding, quality of housing, accountability, time saving to practice/workouts, recruiting questions, etc.
There are very few advantages Cal basketball program can offer potential recruits, but Housing is an "program saver" per the staff. Football however is in a much tougher position, as there is not a true "football only site". Other than dorms, the players have to scramble (football operations assists) to find close by/affordable/quality housing. The key is going to be able to purchase a few houses that can house up to 6 players/house and keep it affordable. Step one has been completed and 6 players are extremely appreciative and very happy in the initial "Cal Football House". Its just step one and a long way to go, but its a start.
Big C

Wow, big news about Askew!

To the Cal alums who work/donate to help the student-athletes with housing (not easy in Berkeley), many thanks!
HoopDreams
hey some good news for Cal basketball !

that is very welcome news ... thanks for the info

and also thanks for explaining the housing situation, which is huge.
4thGenCal
HoopDreams said:

Thanks for the message - its a goal of mine to continue to help with the football housing, along with the basketball housing that several of us helped initially with the current basketball property purchase.
Football has a huge hurdle to overcome with finding enough good housing close to campus/stadium. The players have a very demanding schedule with early morning workouts, combined with class schedules (including summer). It's imperative that convenient and affordable housing be available to the football student athletes. The need was reinforced today when a highly sought after transfer Cal got, has 30 day temporary housing only (we were able to arrange thru the downtime between students vacating a unit June and moving in August 1) and is scrambling (along with football operations efforts) to find a longer term quality housing solution, that can be paid for via football monthly scholarship disbursements. Too often due to the high rental rates in Berkeley (to find one's own room in a close to campus location), players turn to substandard living situations that are located 15-25 minutes from campus/stadium. Its a tough outcome given lack of overseeing the player's surroundings, and can impact the player being on time for all team required meetings/workouts etc.
Ideally some passionate Cal alums who have the capability to invest toward local housing, could reach out to address this problem via the staff. I started this quest after hearing first hand the challenges faced from HC Wilcox, Coach Mike Saffel and Head of Football Operations Andrew McGraw. The quality of the staff that has been assembled is very attentive, personable and is creating a genuine "family' atmosphere w/in the program. No question, its time to show progress and a better W/L record, but its apparent that the feeling within the program is very bullish. Improving the housing crunch will be a valuable recruiting lever and certainly improve the players overall experience at Cal.
4thGenCal
4thGenCal said:

HoopDreams said:

Thanks for the message - its a goal of mine to continue to help with the football housing, along with the basketball housing that several of us helped initially with the current basketball property purchase.
Football has a huge hurdle to overcome with finding enough good housing close to campus/stadium. The players have a very demanding schedule with early morning workouts, combined with class schedules (including summer). It's imperative that convenient and affordable housing be available to the football student athletes. The need was reinforced today when a highly sought after transfer Cal got, has 30 day temporary housing only (we were able to arrange thru the downtime between students vacating a unit June and moving in August 1) and is scrambling (along with football operations efforts) to find a longer term quality housing solution, that can be paid for via football monthly scholarship disbursements. Too often due to the high rental rates in Berkeley (to find one's own room in a close to campus location), players turn to substandard living situations that are located 15-25 minutes from campus/stadium. Its a tough outcome given lack of overseeing the player's surroundings, and can impact the player being on time for all team required meetings/workouts etc.
Ideally some passionate Cal alums who have the capability to invest toward local housing, could reach out to address this problem via the staff. I started this quest after hearing first hand the challenges faced from HC Wilcox, Coach Mike Saffel and Head of Football Operations Andrew McGraw. The quality of the staff that has been assembled is very attentive, personable and is creating a genuine "family' atmosphere w/in the program. No question, its time to show progress and a better W/L record, but its apparent that the feeling within the program is very bullish. Improving the housing crunch will be a valuable recruiting lever and certainly improve the players overall experience at Cal.
Sorry - just realized this response was more suited for the football message section on the site, but the housing challenges impact both basketball and football (though less so for basketball, but still a ongoing goal to get every player together at the same property)
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.