Is Andy Katz a shill for Coach Fox?

2,067 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by barsad
westcoastdude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It was great that Cal got two home victories against Colorado and Furd, but I think Katz just handed Fox a puff piece.

BC Calfan
EVERY SINGLE ANSWER is the injury excuse.

Excuse the random movie reference but I always think of this Lord of the Rings scene when Fox is spouting his excuses to Knowlton. Fox is Wormtongue.

socaltownie
I can NOT believe I am saying this.......

Since it is clear that JK isn't firing Fox mid season (which, lets face, a P5 school that cared about revenue sports would have LONG ago done) then what does make sense is for this to play itself out. Lets say his "excuses" are valid. Well he got some key parts back. So the next 15-16 games are put up or shut the f up. If he goes 11-5 than frankly I think he might be valid. Still an issue on recruiting and the ceiling is still VERY low. But, if as I think will be the case, he goes 5-11 then really this is the metric we should be talking about - his record from Furd on when he got most of the team back he hoped for.
Take care of your Chicken
Bear8995
So so tired of the injury excuse. He knew Celestine was out almost a year ago. Deal with it. Fox makes it sound like Clayton is a 1st round talent and he was all that was missing. He isn't and he wasn't. Clayton is a good player and certainly makes the team better, but if the success of the team depends on the health of one guy, I say you haven't recruited well enough. Stop mentioning having 2 walk ons out. Were they really going to play? If so, I say you haven't recruited well enough.

Other teams have injured players. I'd guess that just about every team that beat us during our 0-12 run had an injured player or two. Just own it already.

I believe we will have 5 scholarships open up next year. Lars, KK, Clayton, Hyder and Joel Brown will all move on. Fox has only recruited 2 guys. Celestine will be coming back off of an injury so who knows how he will be. Is his next excuse going to be that we don't have enough guys to practice?

I think Fox thinks that if he keeps talking about the injury thing that people will start to believe him. It isn't working.
KoreAmBear
socaltownie said:

Since it is clear that JK isn't firing Fox mid season (which, lets face, a P5 school that cared about revenue sports would have LONG ago done) then what does make sense is for this to play itself out. Lets say his "excuses" are valid. Well he got some key parts back. So the next 15-16 games are put up or shut the f up. If he goes 11-5 than frankly I think he might be valid. Still an issue on recruiting and the ceiling is still VERY low. But, if as I think will be the case, he goes 5-11 then really this is the metric we should be talking about - his record from Furd on when he got most of the team back he hoped for.
Only a bid to the NCAAs can save his job in my mind (that means basically winning the Pac-12 tournament). That's our goal so attain it. If not, get out.
HearstMining
KoreAmBear said:

socaltownie said:

Only a bid to the NCAAs can save his job in my mind (that means basically winning the Pac-12 tournament). That's our goal so attain it. If not, get out.
I'm confident that your mind works much better than Knowlton's, but his is the mind that makes the hiring/firing decision. I'm afraid that if Fox wins even 7 or 8 conference games, Knowlton will use that as an excuse to do what he does best: NOTHING. And Fox, having dramatically underachieved with the 2023 recruiting class, will try to convince a couple of his loveable but marginally talented seniors to use their COVID exemption and return next year.

Oh man, I'm getting the dry-heaves just thinking about it.
philbert
Let's see if they can win on the road before all of this other crazy talk.
BC Calfan
Bear8995 said:

I think Fox thinks that if he keeps talking about the injury thing that people will start to believe him. It isn't working.
There's only one person that needs to believe him. And unfortunately that one person isn't very smart.
BeachedBear
KoreAmBear said:

socaltownie said:

I think both of you are right in a way, but much to lenient. This was two years ago thinking or last year since COVID. At this point anything less than an Elite 8 run doesn't justify Fox further consideration. And IF (such a big IF) we make the Elite 8 run - Knowlton must insist on concrete tangible changes to the many, many, many issues inflicted on this program by Fox and his staff.
BearSD
westcoastdude said:

It was great that Cal got two home victories against Colorado and Furd, but I think Katz just handed Fox a puff piece.
Katz is a shill for all coaches. He is one of several writers in college basketball and football who puff up all coaches in order to get access and scoops. Also known as "access journalism".
HoopDreams
my take aways from interview:

1. Fox can count. He now says they've had 54 games missed due to injury (up from 46 displayed on Haas scoreboard)

2. Fox can not do an interview to save his life. Katz gave him every opportunity to say something positive about his players, team, etc, but Fox just continued to ride the excuse train, including built-in excuses going forward

3. Found Robersen in the Library and Fox hadn't even seen him play (just 5 minute talk with him before telling him he was on the team). Wha???!
dimitrig
socaltownie said:

Anything less than an NCAA Tournament appearance and Fox should be fired. He should probably be fired anyway.

Big Dog
Wait. What? No more covid excuses? (I guess that is some progress....)
BC Calfan
He is such a curmudgeon.
calumnus
BC Calfan said:

He is such a curmudgeon.

He is a Frankenstein's monster of the worst traits of every Cal basketball coach of the past. He has Monty's curmudgeonliness without Monty's basketball IQ. He has Cuonzo's offense without Cuonzo's recruiting and player rapport…
stu
HoopDreams said:

3. Found Robersen in the Library and Fox hadn't even seen him play (just 5 minute talk with him before telling him he was on the team). Wha???!
Do you mean #30 Wrenn Robinson?

IMHO it would be great to be able to find all of our players in the library, but not as a first meeting.
stu
calumnus said:

He is a Frankenstein's monster of the worst traits of every Cal basketball coach of the past. He has Monty's curmudgeonliness without Monty's basketball IQ. He has Cuonzo's offense without Cuonzo's recruiting and player rapport…
Reminds me of an old joke about Washington DC being a city with Southern efficiency and Northern charm.

My current opinion is with Fox's recruiting and coaching abilities our ceiling is somewhere around 6 to 8 conference wins, like we had in his first year. I had hoped that would be a floor but I've been proved wrong. What I've seen is Fox recruiting guys who need to be coached up but taking too long to make that happen.
HoopDreams
stu said:

HoopDreams said:

Do you mean #30 Wrenn Robinson?

IMHO it would be great to be able to find all of our players in the library, but not as a first meeting.

sorry, yes meant Wrenn Robinson
barsad
BeachedBear said:

Only a bid to the NCAAs can save his job in my mind (that means basically winning the Pac-12 tournament)…. At this point anything less than an Elite 8 run doesn't justify Fox further consideration.

Elite 8? LMFAO
I'll have what he's smokin'
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.