ESPN's Hot Seats

2,424 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SBGold
eastcoastcal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

While there were signs of promise during his first season at the helm (2019-20), Mark Fox's time in Berkeley seems likely to come to an end after this season. He was 15-43 in the Pac-12 in his first three seasons, 35-58 overall -- and the Bears are headed for their worst season under him this season. They entered the week at 3-24 overall, 2-14 in the Pac-12. Two names buzzing for this job over the past couple of weeks are UC Santa Barabara's Joe Pasternack and San Jose State's Tim Miles.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/35711696/your-comprehensive-guide-2023-men-college-basketball-coaching-hot-seat-next
eastcoastcal
Under "coaches to watch", here is a candidate listed as an interesting coach for a west coast program:

Quote:

Jason Hart, G League Ignite: Keep an eye on Hart for any West Coast openings. He has a strong reputation at every level of the sport, after playing 10 years in the NBA, spending eight years as an assistant coach at USC and being the head coach of the G League Ignite team for the past couple of seasons.

eastcoastcal
Finally, under mid major coaches to watch, here is who is listed:

Quote:

Pat Kelsey, Charleston Cougars: The Cougars were a national storyline for a couple of months, starting off 21-1 and finding a spot in the AP top 25. They still have to keep up with Hofstra in the CAA standings, but this is now a second school at which Kelsey has achieved success. He went to two NCAA tournaments at Winthrop, winning four regular-season championships in his final six years there. Kelsey has plenty of energy and his teams play an up-tempo style; he'll be in the mix for a number of jobs.

Dusty May, Florida Atlantic Owls: Despite losses in two of its past five games, May has FAU positioned for an at-large bid if it doesn't slip up anymore. The Owls are 24-3 overall and had a 20-game winning streak earlier this season, a run that had them in the AP top 25 for several weeks. May, whose career started as a manager under Bob Knight at Indiana, has high-major experience from his days as an assistant coach under Mike White at Florida. He'll likely be a target for Ole Miss, Georgia Tech and others.

Paul Mills, Oral Roberts Golden Eagles: While another Sweet 16 run might not be in the offing, this year's Oral Roberts team is better than the 2021 team by most metrics. The Golden Eagles are currently undefeated in the Summit League, with one of the fastest tempos and most efficient offenses in the country. Mills is 38-11 in the league in the past three seasons.

Grant McCasland, North Texas Mean Green: Another former Baylor assistant, McCasland passed up a few opportunities last spring but will likely be a target for multiple jobs again. He has won at least 18 games in all seven seasons as a head coach, going to the NCAA tournament and winning a game in 2021 and then winning the C-USA regular-season title last season. He has the Mean Green back in the mix for a bid again.

Matt Langel, Colgate Raiders: Langel is vastly underrated on a national level. He has guided Colgate to each of the past three NCAA tournaments and just clinched the Raiders' fourth regular-season championship in the past five years. They shoot a lot of 3s, they make a lot of 3s and they're incredibly efficient. Langel could get into the mix for anything in the Northeast and mid-Atlantic areas, and is also a potential sleeper at Notre Dame.

Mark Madsen, Utah Valley Wolverines: The former Stanford star and NBA forward has Utah Valley atop the WAC standings, leading the Wolverines to their second 20-win season in a row. He's the odds-on favorite to replace Jerod Haase at Stanford if the Cardinal look to make a move.

Tim Miles, San Jos State Spartans: Miles has done an incredible job at SJSU this season, going from 8-23 and 1-17 in the MWC last season to 16-11 overall and 7-7 in the league in 2022-23. The Spartans are on track for their most overall wins since at least 2011 and their best conference record in more than 20 years. Miles also achieved varying levels of success at North Dakota State, Colorado State and Nebraska. It wouldn't be a surprise to see California make a move for him.

James Jones, Yale Bulldogs: Since 2015, Jones has led Yale to three NCAA tournament appearances and four regular-season Ivy League championships. And the Bulldogs are tied for first in the league entering the week. He was briefly linked to St. John's when the Red Storm hired Mike Anderson a few years ago; could he get in the mix for something else this cycle?

Ritchie McKay, Liberty Flames: There are few mid-major coaches with the consistent success of McKay over the past five years: three regular-season championships, three conference tournament championships and a chance for a fourth in both. Anything in the Southeast could make sense for McKay.

Darian DeVries, Drake Bulldogs: After an up-and-down nonconference season, DeVries once again has Drake at the top of the MVC. Over the past three seasons, the Bulldogs are 74-22 overall and 42-12 in the Valley. Industry sources indicate there aren't a ton of jobs he would leave Drake for, so there might have to be some dominos for DeVries to move.

Mike Rhoades, VCU Rams: Rhoades has had consistent success at VCU, winning at least 20 games in three of six seasons and making two NCAA tournament appearances. He also consistently has one of the best defenses in college basketball. There's not an obvious landing spot, but Rhoads has the Rams poised for an Atlantic 10 title.

Speedy Claxton, Hofstra Pride: Despite all the hype about Charleston earlier this season, it's Hofstra that entered the week atop the CAA. Claxton has done a fantastic job since taking over from Joe Mihalich, winning 21 games last season and entering the week with 22 wins this season. Could he get in the mix if St. John's opens?

Ben McCollum, Northwest Missouri State Bearcats: McCollum has achieved remarkable success at the Division II level, winning back-to-back national championships and four of the past five. It helps his case that Division II to Division I jumps from guys like Bart Lundy (Queens) and Josh Schertz (Indiana State) have been successful.

Others who could move: Joe Pasternack, UC Santa Barbara; Jared Grasso, Bryant; Jeff Boals, Ohio; John Becker, Vermont; Niko Medved, Colorado State; Mark Pope, BYU; Bucky McMillan, Samford; Brian Wardle, Bradley; Bob Richey, Furman; Casey Alexander, Belmont; Steve Lutz, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi; Robert Jones, Norfolk State; David Riley, Eastern Washington; Stan Johnson, Loyola Marymount; Chris Victor, Seattle; Takayo Siddle, UNC Wilmington; Amir Abdur-Rahim, Kennesaw State; Todd Simon, Southern Utah; Ryan Odom, Utah State; Austin Claunch, Nicholls; Russell Turner, UC Irvine; Rob Senderoff, Kent State; Tod Kowalczyk, Toledo
I pasted this here and skipped the existing high-major coaches because I don't think it is likely we have the means to poach for a lateral move. So I think it's likely we gun for a mid-major coach (or that G-league ignite guy who is mentioned above)
socaltownie
I now have an incredible man crush on Jason Hart. **** Joe P. ;-)
eastcoastcal
socaltownie said:

I now have an incredible man crush on Jason Hart. **** Joe P. ;-)
Seriously, I didn't know about this guy but seems like someone we should definitely interview:

Good NBA career, coached AAU in the LA area, and now coaches the G-league ignite. He was hired by Shareef, so we should at least ask SAR about what he thinks of him. There is the Cal connection

Not saying he should be the front-runner but someone we should explore, especially if SAR will vouch for him. coaching is the main concern here but just an interesting candidate
eastcoastcal
One thing I will say is I am not sure why Tim Miles is listed as one of the two main candidates. He was decidedly mediocre at Nebraska (to be fair, Nebraska for basketball is very, very challenging but still) going almost exactly .500 in his years there, and his first season at SJS was awful (1-17 in conference). SJS is better this year but still not great and I am really unsure why on earth he would be on our list. This would be a Mark Fox type hire. And therefore I am worried we will pick him lol
socaltownie
eastcoastcal said:

One thing I will say is I am not sure why Tim Miles is listed as one of the two main candidates. He was decidedly mediocre at Nebraska (to be fair, Nebraska for basketball is very, very challenging but still) going almost exactly .500 in his years there, and his first season at SJS was awful (1-17 in conference). SJS is better this year but still not great and I am really unsure why on earth he would be on our list. This would be a Mark Fox type hire. And therefore I am worried we will pick him lol
I just started my own thread "Stop Tim Miles at the cost of a class 1 felony". Serious - it would be SO JK to hire him.
parentswerebears
You should stop all hope. You just named our new guy. Miles. It's THE Cal hire- uninspired and mediocre. And probably overpriced.
pingpong2
He's probably an OKG
Civil Bear
Would love to get Madsen just to see him go up against Haase. Plus that would mean Haase was still with the 'furds.
SBGold
Civil Bear said:

Would love to get Madsen just to see him go up against Haase. Plus that would mean Haase was still with the 'furds.
I'm hoping for Hart or Madsen
OdontoBear66
What the hey.. Let's get going....Hire Pitino from Iona....For heaven sakes, isn't Cal the place where we think second chances (maybe third or fourth)....Go for the gold....Get a friggin' basketball coach....We don't need to pay $1.5M for a good guy.
ManBearLion123
1. Pasternack
2. Turner
3. Stan Johnson
4. Jason Hart
5. Madsen

(in that order, IMO)

Though I'd be happy with any of the above.
Intuit
With his name cleared, Rick Pitino must make a choice to stay at Iona or take one more shot at a big-time job - CBSSports.com
SBGold
SBGold said:

Civil Bear said:

I'm hoping for Hart or Madsen
I called for Madsen on 2/24. I did fall for Amir and am intrigued why that didn't work out.

I can roll with Madsen though. LFG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.