Time to start the real talk: how long will it take to build this back

1,233 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by dimitrig
Strykur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I frankly have been checked out of hoops for most of the past decade (I was in the Haas when we beat #1 Arizona in 2013, the last meaningful game I can really remember attending), and even though it's been quite a while since we have been thought about playing games in March (and I am not expecting us there soon anyway), what can we actually expect in terms of turnaround time with this program, I have no idea what NIL/transfer portal means in the realm of college hoops, but when Fox is gone, could we maybe get back into contention within a season or two if the hire is right, or is it going to take several seasons of crawling out of this?
eastcoastcal
My stretch (optimistic) timeline: NIT or CBI (over .500) next year, bubble team year after that, contender for 3/4 in conference + regular NCAA team in years after that

My reasonable timeline: Improvement to 14-16 total wins next year, NIT/CBI team year after that aka 20 or so wins, bubble tournament team 3rd year, tournament team yr 4 and beyond

My pessimistic, Knowlton keeps managing the program, we hire Tim Miles timeline: I stop watching Cal basketball
Strykur
I mentioned in another thread that getting close to 20 wins at San Jose is pretty decent but Miles based on his previous stops would definitely take a handful of years to get us to NCAA contention and at 56 years old he doesn't have a lot of treads left on his tires, so yeah that won't push the needle.
Grrrrah76
As Mike Montgomery said, it goes way beyond just replacing a coach. If the administration doesn't take steps to actually support the program, we won't be competitive. I gave up following Cal BB after Martin left. It is fun to follow Jayden Brown and the Celtics though.
59bear
Strykur said:

I frankly have been checked out of hoops for most of the past decade (I was in the Haas when we beat #1 Arizona in 2013, the last meaningful game I can really remember attending), and even though it's been quite a while since we have been thought about playing games in March (and I am not expecting us there soon anyway), what can we actually expect in terms of turnaround time with this program, I have no idea what NIL/transfer portal means in the realm of college hoops, but when Fox is gone, could we maybe get back into contention within a season or two if the hire is right, or is it going to take several seasons of crawling out of this?
Well, in some ways you might compare this situation to that the FB program was in when Tedford replaced Holme....coming off a crushingly bad season and with disintegrating fan support. The major distinction: Holme left some pieces for Tedford to build upon and our cupboard looks pretty bare. That said, basketball's small roster size means you can get dramatic improvement with just 2 or 3 good players and the transfer portal is a path to an instant talent infusion so it could happen. Like most Cal fans, I'm not holding my breath in expectation.
bearister
"I frankly have been checked out for most of the past decade."

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
dimitrig

It all depends on who the coach is.

A good coach can have us back in the NCAA Tourney in probably 2 years.

What are the odds we make a good hire? I am not encouraged that the odds are very good by the fact that Fox has not been fired yet. He should have been fired long ago.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.