Is it so much to ask that we conduct coaching searches in a professional manner

9,700 Views | 112 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by stu
BearlyCareAnymore
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This commentary is not about Mark Madsen. I'll probably comment on that later. Short version. I don't love the hire, don't hate it. Gotta say, I don't really like it, but I don't hate it. I wasn't ever going to love anyone who was taking this job, so not hating was about as good as it was going to get. (although, there are different levels to not hating) I see positives and I see red flags. This commentary is about the process to getting to this hire.

This process sucked, man. It is pretty clear that the so called reaching out to players and alums and members of the Cal community was just window dressing and that Knowlton again didn't do his job and just farmed his decision out to Monty. Monty did what Monty always does. He pumped his guy. Which is why you don't capitulate the decision to one guy. Especially not one guy with a clear conflict in the process no matter how much you respect that guy. Now, yes, farming the decision out to Monty is going to yield a better result than Knowlton making the decision on his own, but it isn't how you get the best candidate except maybe by luck. Also, it is clearly a CYA move by Knowlton and if he can't take responsibility for his job, I don't know what we pay him for.

Basically, the actual decision making group seems to be made up of:

Jim Knowlton: Nothing in his background demonstrating he would understand anything about Cal and nothing in 5 years demonstrating he actually does understand anything about Cal. Nothing that indicates he understands anything about basketball. And he's Jim Knowlton

Monty: I know that this commentary is going to be deeply unpopular with some of you, but here goes. I have massive respect for Monty. He is literally one of the best X's and O's coach in the business. He could have held open roster tryouts at RSF and done better than the last two coaches. I want him to be a part of this process. That part is being one of the guys who is advising the people making the decision. It is not being one of the guys making the decision let alone basically being the guy making a decision (when JK, Jay John, and Monty make a joint decision, Monty made the decision). Monty last coached 9 years ago. He walked away at exactly the right time. The program was getting stale. We all felt it. I would say the overwhelming feeling at the time was not horror over Monty leaving, but a respectful thank you to Monty for doing a great job for us matched with a palpable excitement about injecting some energy in the program. (Oh how naive we were). Monty's success at Cal was largely driven by his coaching prowess and if anything was hampered by his abilities to communicate with players and recruits in the modern era and his open disdain for not only recruiting but for the people that, like it or not, you needed on your side in order to sign recruits. You cannot basically call people sleazeballs in the media when you need their help. And to be clear, they are sleazeballs, and I respect the hell out of Monty for not liking what the college game and college recruiting have become I don't either but that is the job now. I think Monty knew to keep succeeding he was going to have change in ways he didn't want to. He won a title with Braun's players, but never really figured out how to recruit at Cal and was showing signs of having difficulty adjusting to today's player (the infamous shove). Monty was a 10++ at coaching but about a 4 at everything else, which made him an 8 for us overall. But the problem is that no one is going to match his coaching prowess. While I want him doing THAT evaluation for us, I don't see that I want him judging recruiting, NIL, ability to communicate with players, ability to succeed in Cal's culture, etc. He should be a valuable member of the selection committee, but not the whole committee.

Jay John Loser coach. Apparently good assistant in his day. Hasn't coached in 11 years. For some reason Monty has been dragging his carcass around for a good long time. Shouldn't be involved at all.

Word is the supposed including various stakeholders in the process was just window dressing. Former players and important alums were given courtesy calls at the beginning and then the doors were closed for a week and a half while those guys above made the decision. To be clear, I don't want former Cal players making the decision, but I do want them in the process as I think they have valuable input as a younger group who can better evaluate ability to communicate with today's players. To be clear, I don't want alums making the decision (as I made abundantly clear yesterday), but I do want them in the process especially since their support is desperately needed. And to be clear, I don't want Monty making the decision, but I want him in the process as he is the best guy we have to evaluate the X's and O's ability of the candidates. All of those (and maybe a few others) should have been part of the process. (and, by the way, if you were going to stupidly leave anyone out of the process, you should have at least kept up the pretense with them to make them think they were actually part of the process). That would actually be a pretty good group that would have covered a lot of the bases you needed covered. And then JK should have done his damned job and listened to a diverse group of experts and stakeholders and made a damned decision. Yeah, I don't have confidence in him either, but it is what we pay him for. His response to having his half assed process when he hired Fox blow up in his face should have been to have some guts, have a brain, be an active listener, and make a decision, not run scared and delegate the thing.

No one that went to Cal was part of the process. No one who has played the game in the last million years was part of the process. No one who has coached in the last nine years was part of the process. No one under 63 was part of the process. No one African American was part of the process. No one representing donors was part of the process. We had a very small, very homogeneous in all facets group. The primary input came from a guy who had a very specific conflict in favor of one candidate and a very specific conflict against another candidate. Even if that didn't play a role (and I highly doubt it didn't), you don't do that if you want anyone to have confidence in your process. This looks like an old boy's network hire where it isn't what you know, it is who you know. It isn't fair to any of the candidates, especially Madsen. And to be clear, I don't think Monty would tell us to hire a guy he doesn't believe in, but I could have told you who he'd believe in. If you told me the process and candidates going in, I would have told you this is where we'd end up, because I would have said Monty would want to offer who he thinks is the best guy, and that would be Bennett because from a coaching perspective he is clearly the most qualified, and when he turned us down it would go to the guy Monty knows.

And here is the thing. When Mark Fox was hired it was patently a moronic hire. This has nothing in common with that. But I have to say, that my big issue with the Fox hire is that there was a known candidate that was clearly better on paper in Decuire. Now, I'm not saying Decuire was or should have been the best we could get, but he was a known candidate and he was clearly better on paper than Fox. And then JK opened up his mouth about the process and it was like "Oh, that is how that happened".

Madsen isn't Fox. He doesn't clearly suck. He may be good. He may be great. We could be getting in on the ground floor of something awesome. But where there is commonality in the process is that, I'm sorry, there was a known candidate that on paper was much more qualified. If anyone reads my posts from the last couple days, they would know I was not on the Pasternack train. (I wasn't off it either). But I just don't see any way if you compare their resumes that 8 out of 10 people with no dog in the fight don't come out with Pasternack. Beyond playing in the NBA for 9 seasons, I don't see what else you can put in Madsen's column over Pasternack. Recruiting isn't close. Pasternack has years experience recruiting at a high major level. Madsen has zero. Pasternack has actively recruited the West Coast and specifically the Bay Area for high major programs for years and developed those specific relationships while some seem to be saying Madsen has West Coast ties because he grew up in Walnut Creek, played at Stanford and was an assistant with the Lakers, but none of those things have anything to do with developing recruiting relationships. Further, Pasternack massively kicked our ass in recruiting our own back yard which seems to have been treated as a negative in the process because the guys making the decision were the guys whose asses were kicked. Pasternack has spent a lot of years as an assistant in the Pac-12, including being an Associate Head Coach at arguably the top program in the conference. Madsen has zero. Madsen was an NBA assistant which isn't remotely the same, and he had one year coaching in the D League, which, c'mon guys, seriously? Pasternack has substantially more head coaching experience. Pasternack took over a team that finished last in conference and immediately turned it into a 2nd place conference finish and in 6 years at UCSB has finished first or second 5 times. Madsen took over a team that had finished 2nd place in conference two years in a row and then finished 8th. He has finished 8th, 1st, 7th, 1st. Pasternack has turned around a losing program and Madsen has not. Pasternack has coached several years at Cal, has relationships here and knows the place. He has 6 years head coaching experience at a UC. None of Madsen's experience is anywhere remotely like Cal or the UC. While I think people are dreaming if they think our donors are going to step up in a way that is competitive with the big boys, they were prepared to step up day one for Pasternack in a way that is much better than they have because they have that relationship. They aren't going to do that day one for Madsen. He is going to have to forge those relationships and we don't know how well he will be able to do that.

To sum up, Pasternack is clearly a better candidate in D1 experience, Recruiting, Coaching record, proven ability to turn a loser into a winner, experience at Cal and UC, and connection to donors. On paper, the obvious preference should easily go to Pasternack and what actually happened was an obvious preference developed for Madsen. And the only (legitimate) thing that is possibly left to go in Madsen's column is the interview process. And then you have a giant elephant sitting in the corner that one of three guys in the room is Madsen's coach. It is extremely hard to believe that didn't have a much bigger impact on the process than it should have in the 21st century. And to be clear, I don't give a damned about social justice on this one. I want the best candidate and that is not the way to get that done. And further, that nagging feeling could have very much been ameliorated by knowing that a lot of other stakeholders were in the process and came to the same conclusion. And if they didn't come to the same conclusion, I think you would have wanted to know that.
parentswerebears
The answer to your question before reading your post is this: that's a rhetorical question, right?
HoopDreams
Bearlycare

good post
calumnus
BearlyCareAnymore said:

This commentary is not about Mark Madsen. I'll probably comment on that later. Short version. I don't love the hire, don't hate it. Gotta say, I don't really like it, but I don't hate it. I wasn't ever going to love anyone who was taking this job, so not hating was about as good as it was going to get. (although, there are different levels to not hating) I see positives and I see red flags. This commentary is about the process to getting to this hire.

This process sucked, man. It is pretty clear that the so called reaching out to players and alums and members of the Cal community was just window dressing and that Knowlton again didn't do his job and just farmed his decision out to Monty. Monty did what Monty always does. He pumped his guy. Which is why you don't capitulate the decision to one guy. Especially not one guy with a clear conflict in the process no matter how much you respect that guy. Now, yes, farming the decision out to Monty is going to yield a better result than Knowlton making the decision on his own, but it isn't how you get the best candidate except maybe by luck. Also, it is clearly a CYA move by Knowlton and if he can't take responsibility for his job, I don't know what we pay him for.

Basically, the actual decision making group seems to be made up of:

Jim Knowlton: Nothing in his background demonstrating he would understand anything about Cal and nothing in 5 years demonstrating he actually does understand anything about Cal. Nothing that indicates he understands anything about basketball. And he's Jim Knowlton

Monty: I know that this commentary is going to be deeply unpopular with some of you, but here goes. I have massive respect for Monty. He is literally one of the best X's and O's coach in the business. He could have held open roster tryouts at RSF and done better than the last two coaches. I want him to be a part of this process. That part is being one of the guys who is advising the people making the decision. It is not being one of the guys making the decision let alone basically being the guy making a decision (when JK, Jay John, and Monty make a joint decision, Monty made the decision). Monty last coached 9 years ago. He walked away at exactly the right time. The program was getting stale. We all felt it. I would say the overwhelming feeling at the time was not horror over Monty leaving, but a respectful thank you to Monty for doing a great job for us matched with a palpable excitement about injecting some energy in the program. (Oh how nave we were). Monty's success at Cal was largely driven by his coaching prowess and if anything was hampered by his abilities to communicate with players and recruits in the modern era and his open disdain for not only recruiting but for the people that, like it or not, you needed on your side in order to sign recruits. You cannot basically call people sleazeballs in the media when you need their help. And to be clear, they are sleazeballs, and I respect the hell out of Monty for not liking what the college game and college recruiting have become I don't either but that is the job now. I think Monty knew to keep succeeding he was going to have change in ways he didn't want to. He won a title with Braun's players, but never really figured out how to recruit at Cal and was showing signs of having difficulty adjusting to today's player (the infamous shove). Monty was a 10++ at coaching but about a 4 at everything else, which made him an 8 for us overall. But the problem is that no one is going to match his coaching prowess. While I want him doing THAT evaluation for us, I don't see that I want him judging recruiting, NIL, ability to communicate with players, ability to succeed in Cal's culture, etc. He should be a valuable member of the selection committee, but not the whole committee.

Jay John Loser coach. Apparently good assistant in his day. Hasn't coached in 11 years. For some reason Monty has been dragging his carcass around for a good long time. Shouldn't be involved at all.

Word is the supposed including various stakeholders in the process was just window dressing. Former players and important alums were given courtesy calls at the beginning and then the doors were closed for a week and a half while those guys above made the decision. To be clear, I don't want former Cal players making the decision, but I do want them in the process as I think they have valuable input as a younger group who can better evaluate ability to communicate with today's players. To be clear, I don't want alums making the decision (as I made abundantly clear yesterday), but I do want them in the process especially since their support is desperately needed. And to be clear, I don't want Monty making the decision, but I want him in the process as he is the best guy we have to evaluate the X's and O's ability of the candidates. All of those (and maybe a few others) should have been part of the process. (and, by the way, if you were going to stupidly leave anyone out of the process, you should have at least kept up the pretense with them to make them think they were actually part of the process). That would actually be a pretty good group that would have covered a lot of the bases you needed covered. And then JK should have done his damned job and listened to a diverse group of experts and stakeholders and made a damned decision. Yeah, I don't have confidence in him either, but it is what we pay him for. His response to having his half assed process when he hired Fox blow up in his face should have been to have some guts, have a brain, be an active listener, and make a decision, not run scared and delegate the thing.

No one that went to Cal was part of the process. No one who has played the game in the last million years was part of the process. No one who has coached in the last nine years was part of the process. No one under 63 was part of the process. No one African American was part of the process. No one representing donors was part of the process. We had a very small, very homogeneous in all facets group. The primary input came from a guy who had a very specific conflict in favor of one candidate and a very specific conflict against another candidate. Even if that didn't play a role (and I highly doubt it didn't), you don't do that if you want anyone to have confidence in your process. This looks like an old boy's network hire where it isn't what you know, it is who you know. It isn't fair to any of the candidates, especially Madsen. And to be clear, I don't think Monty would tell us to hire a guy he doesn't believe in, but I could have told you who he'd believe in. If you told me the process and candidates going in, I would have told you this is where we'd end up, because I would have said Monty would want to offer who he thinks is the best guy, and that would be Bennett because from a coaching perspective he is clearly the most qualified, and when he turned us down it would go to the guy Monty knows.

And here is the thing. When Mark Fox was hired it was patently a moronic hire. This has nothing in common with that. But I have to say, that my big issue with the Fox hire is that there was a known candidate that was clearly better on paper in Decuire. Now, I'm not saying Decuire was or should have been the best we could get, but he was a known candidate and he was clearly better on paper than Fox. And then JK opened up his mouth about the process and it was like "Oh, that is how that happened".

Madsen isn't Fox. He doesn't clearly suck. He may be good. He may be great. We could be getting in on the ground floor of something awesome. But where there is commonality in the process is that, I'm sorry, there was a known candidate that on paper was much more qualified. If anyone reads my posts from the last couple days, they would know I was not on the Pasternack train. (I wasn't off it either). But I just don't see any way if you compare their resumes that 8 out of 10 people with no dog in the fight don't come out with Pasternack. Beyond playing in the NBA for 9 seasons, I don't see what else you can put in Madsen's column over Pasternack. Recruiting isn't close. Pasternack has years experience recruiting at a high major level. Madsen has zero. Pasternack has actively recruited the West Coast and specifically the Bay Area for high major programs for years and developed those specific relationships while some seem to be saying Madsen has West Coast ties because he grew up in Walnut Creek, played at Stanford and was an assistant with the Lakers, but none of those things have anything to do with developing recruiting relationships. Further, Pasternack massively kicked our ass in recruiting our own back yard which seems to have been treated as a negative in the process because the guys making the decision were the guys whose asses were kicked. Pasternack has spent a lot of years as an assistant in the Pac-12, including being an Associate Head Coach at arguably the top program in the conference. Madsen has zero. Madsen was an NBA assistant which isn't remotely the same, and he had one year coaching in the D League, which, c'mon guys, seriously? Pasternack has substantially more head coaching experience. Pasternack took over a team that finished last in conference and immediately turned it into a 2nd place conference finish and in 6 years at UCSB has finished first or second 5 times. Madsen took over a team that had finished 2nd place in conference two years in a row and then finished 8th. He has finished 8th, 1st, 7th, 1st. Pasternack has turned around a losing program and Madsen has not. Pasternack has coached several years at Cal, has relationships here and knows the place. He has 6 years head coaching experience at a UC. None of Madsen's experience is anywhere remotely like Cal or the UC. While I think people are dreaming if they think our donors are going to step up in a way that is competitive with the big boys, they were prepared to step up day one for Pasternack in a way that is much better than they have because they have that relationship. They aren't going to do that day one for Madsen. He is going to have to forge those relationships and we don't know how well he will be able to do that.

To sum up, Pasternack is clearly a better candidate in D1 experience, Recruiting, Coaching record, proven ability to turn a loser into a winner, experience at Cal and UC, and connection to donors. On paper, the obvious preference should easily go to Pasternack and what actually happened was an obvious preference developed for Madsen. And the only (legitimate) thing that is possibly left to go in Madsen's column is the interview process. And then you have a giant elephant sitting in the corner that one of three guys in the room is Madsen's coach. It is extremely hard to believe that didn't have a much bigger impact on the process than it should have in the 21st century. And to be clear, I don't give a damned about social justice on this one. I want the best candidate and that is not the way to get that done. And further, that nagging feeling could have very much been ameliorated by knowing that a lot of other stakeholders were in the process and came to the same conclusion. And if they didn't come to the same conclusion, I think you would have wanted to know that.

Great post.
HateRed
Nobody knows what went on in the selection of the new coach. Unless someone here was personally involved, nobody knows! Why don't we just leave it at that? We don't even know if it's Mark Madsen…
bearchamp
Can't leave it that no one knows the process: have to chest pound speculate.
HateRed
You and I both know that unless some here was personally involved, we don't know, and that included not even the process. But, speculate away.
Econ141
parentswerebears said:

The answer to your question before reading your post is this: that's a rhetorical question, right?

Great write up. Here is what pisses me off the most. There was affinity bias in Fox's hire where JK said something to the effect of "I just felt there was something about him." Fast forward to after the Fox firing we make exactly the same mistake. You don't think Montgomery has a bias towards one of his former players? That JP outrecruited him or didn't play nice with Montgomery should have been put to the side. Moreso, that is the type of mentality we needed in the first place!

For all the touting DEI gets at Cal, they don't know a darn thing about it. This is just a ship run by bozos and now we are crossing our fingers that Madsen somehow is a unicorn.
BearlyCareAnymore
HateRed said:

Nobody knows what went on in the selection of the new coach. Unless someone here was personally involved, nobody knows! Why don't we just leave it at that? We don't even know if it's Mark Madsen…
If you want to turn a blind eye Madsen being offered, fine for you. He has clearly been offered the job.

"No one knows" in the face of a lot of evidence to the contrary is just basically saying yet again, "you don't know, so trust the process". Cal doesn't get that trust.

Literally, since I have been a Cal basketball fan:

Campanelli - friend of the AD
Bozeman - geez. I'm not even going to comment.
Braun - literally caught with our pants down on our obviously cheating coach and had to hire way after the coaching hire season to a program going on serious probation. It was Braun or one of a bunch of guys with losing records
Monty - A Hall of Fame coach wanted to coach in the Bay Area, not at Stanford, and we were smart enough not to say no.
Cuonzo - Process was Ask Monty, Monty says hire my guy. AD decides to hire Monty's guy. Chancellor says, I'm about to fire you anyway so not hiring Monty's guy, essentially hires a guy on paper, sight unseen which may have worked if anyone had actually explained to Martin what the job was going to entail.
Wyking - AD too bored and busy to do an actual search. This guy's here and he's cheap.
Fox - Ask Monty. Monty says hire my guy. AD says, sorry Monty, I'm more comfortable with the loser.
MM - Ask Monty. Monty says hire my guy. AD says - I got in trouble last time I didn't hire your guy, so let's hire your guy.
BearlyCareAnymore
Econ141 said:

parentswerebears said:

Great write up. Here is what pisses me off the most. There was affinity bias in Fox's hire where JK said something to the effect of "I just felt there was something about him." Fast forward to after the Fox firing we make exactly the same mistake. You don't think Montgomery has a bias towards one of his former players? That JP outrecruited him or didn't play nice with Montgomery should have been put to the side. Moreso, that is the type of mentality we needed in the first place!

For all the touting DEI gets at Cal, they don't know a darn thing about it. This is just a ship run by bozos and now we are crossing our fingers that Madsen somehow is a unicorn.
The last two coaching searches are basically both cliche "don't's" on any basic employment training akin to the question, "the boss says, "hey, baby, sleep with me or you won't get that promotion". This is sexual harassment. True or false?"

stu
Thanks for your post. I was going to post something on the topic but you said it better.

I see slight movement from the previous process. I could be wrong but it looks like in that one JK was completely over his head, knew it, and abdicated his responsibility to a search firm which:
* probably had a conflict of interest
* probably had insufficient understanding of the situation
* probably was behind the times
The resulting hire pissed off almost everyone and turned out to be an unmitigated disaster.

I could still be wrong but it looks like this time JK was completely over his head, knew it, and abdicated his responsibility to an esteemed coach who:
* probably had a good understanding of the situation
* may have been behind the times
The resulting hire has yet to be determined but many important stakeholders are already pissed off.

Big C
stu said:

Thanks for your post. I was going to post something on the topic but you said it better.

I see slight movement from the previous process. I could be wrong but it looks like in that one JK was completely over his head, knew it, and abdicated his responsibility to a search firm which:
* probably had insufficient understanding of the situation
* probably was behind the times
The resulting hire pissed off almost everyone and turned out to be an unmitigated disaster.

I could still be wrong but it looks like this time JK was completely over his head, knew it, and abdicated his responsibility to an esteemed coach who:
* probably had a good understanding of the situation
* may have been behind the times
The resulting hire has yet to be determined but many important stakeholders are already pissed off.

Yeah, "Knowlton's notes" on how to improve the process over last time read...

+ People didn't seem to like the search firm. Use it less next time.
+ People didn't like me not listening to former Cal players. Hold a zoom meeting for them next time.
+ People didn't like me making the decision by myself because I don't know squat about basketball. Enlist the advice of two former conference coaches next time!
Pittstop
Except "Monty's guy" was Decuire, not Fox.
calumnus
25 years Ago

Hall of Fame Coach, Bill Walsh, who coached at Cal, Stanford and the local NFL franchise, recommended Cal hire his former player, Tom Holmoe, as Cal's Head Football Coach. Holmoe was hired with Walsh's recommendation over other potential candidates, including African Americans, that some thought were better qualified and would be a better fit.

Tom Holmoe, a devout LDS member raised in suburban Southern California starred at BYU before playing professionally for Walsh and the 49ers where he won Superbowls and was well liked by his more famous teammates like Joe Montana and Jerry Rice.

After his pro career he coached at Stanford and professionally before being recommended by Walsh for the Cal DC and then HC jobs, where he failed spectacularly but was extended because he was just such a nice guy.

Today

Hall of Fame Coach, Mike Montgomery, who coached at Cal, Stanford and the local NBA franchise, recommended Cal hire his former player, Mark Madsen as Cal's Head Basketball Coach.

Madsen, a devout LDS member raised in suburban Northern California starred at Stanford before playing professionally for the Lakers where he won NBA championships and was well liked by his more famous and more talented teammates like Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal.

After his pro career he coached at Stanford, then professionally and as HC at Utah Valley College before Montgomery recommended his former player for the Cal HC job, boosting Madsen over other potential candidates, including African Americans, that some thought were better qualified and would be a better fit for Cal.

As 25 years earlier, people are touting his personality and professional connections. Hopefully it works out better this time but the process, relying on a retired coach whose college legacy is at Stanford and who does not really understand Cal touting his own guy, is definitely a faulty hiring process.

Pittstop
So who was responsible for Gilbertson? And Kapp?
95bears
BearlyCare, those were two epic, epic posts. Thank you.
dimitrig
calumnus said:

25 years Ago

Hall of Fame Coach, Bill Walsh, who coached at Cal, Stanford and the local NFL franchise, recommended Cal hire his former player, Tom Holmoe, as Cal's Head Football Coach. Holmoe was hired with Walsh's recommendation over other potential candidates, including African Americans, that some thought were better qualified and would be a better fit.

Tom Holmoe, a devout LDS member raised in suburban Southern California starred at BYU before playing professionally for Walsh and the 49ers where he won Superbowls and was well liked by his more famous teammates like Joe Montana and Jerry Rice.

After his pro career he coached at Stanford and professionally before being recommended by Walsh for the Cal DC and then HC jobs, where he failed spectacularly but was extended because he was just such a nice guy.

Today

Hall of Fame Coach, Mike Montgomery, who coached at Cal, Stanford and the local NBA franchise, recommended Cal hire his former player, Mark Madsen as Cal's Head Basketball Coach.

Madsen, a devout LDS member raised in suburban Northern California starred at Stanford before playing professionally for the Lakers where he won NBA championships and was well liked by his more famous and more talented teammates like Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal.

After his pro career he coached at Stanford, then professionally and as HC at Utah Valley College before Montgomery recommended his former player for the Cal HC job, boosting Madsen over other potential candidates, including African Americans, that some thought were better qualified and would be a better fit for Cal.

As 25 years earlier, people are touting his personality and professional connections. Hopefully it works out better this time but the process, relying on a retired coach whose college legacy is at Stanford and who does not really understand Cal touting his own guy, is definitely a faulty hiring process.

Holmoe was a great recruiter who sucked at other aspects of the job. In football that gets you fired but in basketball it gets you to the Sweet Sixteen.
annarborbear
You left out that Pasternak was a member of the Bribery U coaching staff with Sean Miller at Arizona and that he started out as a Bobby Knight acolyte (four-year team manager, not a player). Plus he was not popular with many department staff when he worked here. So it is not a completely positive record.
Big C
annarborbear said:

You left out that Pasternak was a member of the Bribery U coaching staff with Sean Miller at Arizona and that he started out as a Bobby Knight acolyte (four-year team manager, not a player). Plus he was not popular with many department staff when he worked here. So it is not a completely positive record.

At the risk of sounding like sour grapes, the last month or so, I've heard a number of anecdotes about personal interactions with Pasternack -- some recounted on this board, others to me personally -- and few were positive.
BearlyCareAnymore
dimitrig said:

calumnus said:

25 years Ago

Today

Holmoe was a great recruiter who sucked at other aspects of the job. In football that gets you fired but in basketball it gets you to the Sweet Sixteen.

Holmoe was an okay recruiter at best.
calumnus
BearlyCareAnymore said:

dimitrig said:

calumnus said:

25 years Ago

Today

Yes, it is relative. It just seems like he was a good recruiter because he was so bad at everything else. Plus he recruited well for how bad we were. It is tough to recruit well when you aren't winning (ie see Wilcox's recruiting).
dimitrig
BearlyCareAnymore said:

dimitrig said:

calumnus said:

25 years Ago

Today

He left Tedford Kyle Boller and Robertson at QB, Chase Lyman and Geoff Mac at WR, Joe Igber at RB, and on defense Lorenzo Alexander, Tully Banta-Cain, Nnamdi Asomugha, Scott Fujita, Jameel Powell, LaShaun Ward, and James Bethea.

Recruiting wasn't his problem and he was better than okay at it.

hoop97
If it makes folks feel better Monty expressed big concerns on the Tom Holmoe hire so at least there's that.
Vandalus
Don't forget Andre Carter.
~Spectemur agendo~
calumnus
dimitrig said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

dimitrig said:

calumnus said:

25 years Ago

Today

He left Tedford Kyle Boller and Robertson at QB, Chase Lyman and Geoff Mac at WR, Joe Igber at RB, and on defense Lorenzo Alexander, Tully Banta-Cain, Nnamdi Asomugha, Scott Fujita, Jameel Powell, LaShaun Ward, and James Bethea.

With maybe the exception of Wilcox's first 4 years, Cal has consistently attracted top players, 4 and 5 stars as long as I have been following the program. The guys you listed are great Bears, some of my all-time favorites, a few played in the NFL and were great. But, as just one example, Scott Fujita came to Cal as a walk-on. Boller was a bit of a fluke as he didn't start until his senior year of high school so he blew up late and everyone else already had a QB. So Holmoe won big late by striking out repeatedly early. Recruiting rankings were just beginning around then, but I think Tedford. Mooch, Snyder and even Gilby generally recruited higher ranked players. Tedford took that nucleus of good players and filled a lot of gaps with good JC players.
BearlyCareAnymore
dimitrig said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

dimitrig said:

calumnus said:

25 years Ago

Today

How many pros there for 22 positions. Those are some good players. Now you want to fill out the rest of the roster? Tedford backfilled with a lot of transfers. If you look at the 2004 team that was so successful, a team that should have been run by Holmoe recruits, most of the major players were Tedford recruits. Tedford recruited circles around him. As did Mooch before him, but he left before his recruiting came to fruition. Gilby recruited better. Snyder recruited way better. He was okay. He was awful at everything else, so the one thing he was okay at looked brilliant in comparison. Recruiting wasn't his problem, but he was okay. He was not a great recruiter. He was a baseline Cal recruiter.
sluggo
BearlyCareAnymore said:

This is way over the top for a coach that has never won even a single NCAA tournament game. His recruiting prowess? I see one player in the NBA, Gabe Vincent, who was recruited by the previous coach. JaQuori McLaughlin, who once had a two-way contract, did transfer to UCSB under Pasternack, but he was undrafted and has scored a total of zero points in the NBA. Ajay Mitchell is a nice college player, but I don't think he will be drafted either, nor do I think anyone else will on his current roster. I discount Pasternack's cheating Arizona days.

UCSB plays in a very weak conference and at least this year beat exactly no one any good. They may have lost the year before he came, but they have as good a basketball history as any team in the conference. And it is a very good university in a great location. He did not turn around Little Sisters of the Poor.

Madsen has this little thing going for him of playing with the Shaq-Kobe Lakers and nine years in the NBA. Plus being a great college player locally with a winning personality. I think those things matter for recruiting. And he has recruited a very good team at a school that I literally had never heard of until last week.

Pasternack is a good coach who has done well at UCSB and his connection to deep pockets was a reason to hire him. But a reasonable process could come to another conclusion.

Also, no need to take a shot at Jay John. I noticed that Monty's Cal played much better fundamental basketball when he was assistant than when he was not. That may have been a coincidence, but it also might not have been.
socaltownie
sluggo said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

This is way over the top for a coach that has never won even a single NCAA tournament game. His recruiting prowess? I see one player in the NBA, Gabe Vincent, who was recruited by the previous coach. JaQuori McLaughlin, who once had a two-way contract, did transfer to UCSB under Pasternack, but he was undrafted and has scored a total of zero points in the NBA. Ajay Mitchell is a nice college player, but I don't think he will be drafted either, nor do I think anyone else will on his current roster. I discount Pasternack's cheating Arizona days.

UCSB plays in a very weak conference and at least this year beat exactly no one any good. They may have lost the year before he came, but they have as good a basketball history as any team in the conference. And it is a very good university in a great location. He did not turn around Little Sisters of the Poor.

Madsen has this little thing going for him of playing with the Shaq-Kobe Lakers and nine years in the NBA. Plus being a great college player locally with a winning personality. I think those things matter for recruiting. And he has recruited a very good team at a school that I literally had never heard of until last week.

Pasternack is a good coach who has done well at UCSB and his connection to deep pockets was a reason to hire him. But a reasonable process could come to another conclusion.

Also, no need to take a shot at Jay John. I noticed that Monty's Cal played much better fundamental basketball when he was assistant than when he was not. That may have been a coincidence, but it also might not have been.

1) I don't think we can fault JP for the conference that UCSB plays in. It is what it is and that reflects into the KenPom stats. And no program that lost TWO games to UCSD really should be casting stones about how "weak" the Big West is :-)

2) UVA has been strong before MM took over. You haven't heard of it because it is one of the new breed of community colleges that elevated to a four year degree graning instiutiton in the past few years.

2.5) At least one thing to keep in mind is that it isn't clear whether UVA players would be accepted as transfers. Jury out on that. One fo the JP advantages is that the kids admitted to UCSB are likely BETTER students than the ones we have - or at least that is true of the admitted big west athletes at Riverside and UCSD that are in the same admit pool as everyone else. Maybe SB is different but i don't think so.

3) Ultimately why I thought JP was the right choice is that the on court results really didn't matter. If he does great that is wonderful. But if he doesn't we still have the Goldman Basketball practice facility of excellence. We have solved a core problem that is plaguing the unversity and Cal's ability to compete. I was also in for AAR because he brought connections to Cal's most recent NBA players....which I believe would be additive to the NIL pool

MM doesn't bring EITHER of those things to the table. Again, he would be a fantastic candidate/coach at BYU or furd or Boise State or Utah - schools where having an LDS active coach is a huge benefit in recruiting and fan support. This isn't to say MM background HURTS him but there is not net addition.

Moreover, it is great he played with Kobe and Shaq but I am not sure that translates. Now if we hired Steve Kerr or Draymond? Well yes. That works. But the Lakers from 15 years ago for a NorCal School as well as a very different style of BB than played in the league today.

Look he is who he is. Time to grudenly get on the support wagon. At least he isn't Miles (my nightmare hire). He will be positive - almost to a fault. His social media game can ONLY be better than Fox. But among the rumored five finalists he wasn't at the top of MY list and there are others (Travis, Legans) I would have done final interviews with before MM.

sycasey
dimitrig said:

calumnus said:

25 years Ago

Today

Madsen has already been successful as a head coach at a smaller program, unlike Holmoe who had no track record at all. Madsen isn't my first choice and might not work out, but he's not the same.
annarborbear
Let's compare pro coaching experience. Oh, that's right, Pasternak doesn't have any.

So let's compare college basketball playing experience - oops, forgot that Pasternak was a team student manager and never played the game.

So ok, let's compare who coached for a college program known for cheating scandals and bribery, That would be Pasternak.

Different people have different strengths and weaknesses. Madsen will bring NBA cred, professional coaching experience, and taking his current small college to the NIT. His predecessor, Pope, only made it to the CBI.
socaltownie
annarborbear said:

Let's compare pro coaching experience. Oh, that's right, Pasternak doesn't have any.

So let's compare college basketball playing experience - oops, forgot that Pasternak was a team student manager and never played the game.

So ok, let's compare who coached for a college program known for cheating scandals and bribery, That would be Pasternak.

Different people have different strengths and weaknesses. Madsen will bring NBA cred, professional coaching experience, and taking his current small college to the NIT. His predecessor, Pope, only made it to the CBI.
You are the kind of person for why we can not have nice things.

Zona was NEVER found to have cheated. Miller was cleared. You may wish to laugh at the NCAA and call it dunderheaded (no argument here) but they are not "known for bribery and cheating"

What they are know for is owning Cal and winning a lot more.
annarborbear
socaltownie said:

annarborbear said:

Zona was NEVER found to have cheated. Miller was cleared. You may wish to laugh at the NCAA and call it dunderheaded (no argument here) but they are not "known for bribery and cheating"

You are correct, I apologize for ruining the program and will stop buying tickets and donating. I will also propose that you be appointed Athletic Director.

I actually also know Bobby Robbins, the President of the University of Arizona. There is a reason Sean Miller is no longer head coach there.
Cal8285
It doesn't seem so obvious to me that JP is better than MM. I would take MM over JP EXCEPT for the fact that JP would have pre-promised big NIL money (at least in theory). Throw that out, and I'd take MM, in spite of your arguments. I'll start with one thing. MM had better overall seasons than JP both of the last two years if you look at the statistic based rankings (KenPom and a half dozen others).

It is interesting, there are donors who had personal interactions with JP who apparently liked him and supported him. There are many who interacted with him who don't like him.

In some ways, I go back to Gladstone, who talked about leadership qualities being more important than other things. My gut is that MM is a better guy than JP to lead a program. Other than having big money donors who support him for no rational reason, I'll take MM.

I absolutely hated the Jones and Fox hires, they were both horrific. If MM is the guy, the only reason I have a problem with it is the NIL question. Given the realistic options we had, that's it, that's my only problem.

I agree that the process was flawed. I'm not sure I'm more in love with the process that gives the job to the guy who has the most money willing to support him, even if there may be some sense in the real world to that process. If we had a process that was proper yet ignored who had the most "donor" money ready to support him, MM might (or might not) have gotten the job.

In my view, it really is the process and not the outcome that was the problem.
aws56
socaltownie said:

annarborbear said:

Zona "Not known for cheating". Pls stop. Staffers and school received penalties, both self imposed and handed down. The only surprise was it wasn't more heavy handed.
socaltownie
aws56 said:

socaltownie said:

annarborbear said:

Zona "Not known for cheating". Pls stop. Staffers and school received penalties, both self imposed and handed down. The only surprise was it wasn't more heavy handed.
LoL

https://sports.yahoo.com/sean-miller-and-arizona-mens-basketball-avoid-major-penalties-from-ncaa-172128928.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAMseT_Ux2voWj9dnPrQ9cf-HcVP4cAoINkfU52uvvfyyCN66ksBzN5zu_2xJr5CaVH3KFsOsr3Vda5bgtvi8UpBuJxRvOo80K8MRB0vAoVM_Y8hznCFKdx3Da7GndsIIxg3etA2f81rnIQoS0H0xDt9Z-mbcuM8PnD2LaP0AXv-E#:~:text=Arizona's%20minor%20sanctions,impose%20any%20further%20postseason%20bans.

Here is the thing. Much more than in football nearly EVERYONE in NCAA Basketball skirts the rules. Zona got a hand spank. Kansas skated and lionizes its coach. ****ing Roy Williams essentially let Carolina make up classes. AND THE NCAA DIDN"T CARE.

If you want to lose then be hollier than though and not hire an assistant who wasn't even NAMED in the original complaint. Follow Monty who was struggling with the kids he recruited and left for Jones. Rewind the JK press conference where he talks about "winning the right way."

But you know what the funny thing is. The FAR more HORRIBLE thing was done by McKeever - who probably followed the rules made up by the adults to protect the adults but failed miserably in doing right by the student athletes who are the ones winning medals and bringing glory to the school. I frankly am so done with the clutching of pearls....and particularly pissed about the small cabal that apparently did it to JP.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.