Madsen Interview: His View on NIL

1,824 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by bearister
sluggo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Given that Monty is believed to have been part of the coach selection process, Monty is known to be against NIL, and Madsen is from Stanford, the only (?) power conference school that may be against NIL, I was wondering how Madsen felt about NIL. Did Cal hire someone who does not believe in NIL? That is, did Cal hire someone who was doomed to fail at recruiting? While that seemed unlikely, given the previous two coaching "searches," anything was possible. And I had not seen this issue addressed, although there are too many threads for my short lifetime, so I could have missed it.

Anyway, I have linked an interview from last year with Madsen and a local sports announcer. Around the five minute mark he says UVU is in the NIL game, and he is trying to make UVU a national NIL leader. No nonsense about tradition or that he does not like NIL, just straight pragmatism. So I think his position is clear and appropriate.

I also like that earlier in the interview he compliments Steph Curry and is pragmatic about the way the game is now played compared to how it was when he played. Overall, he comes off as modern and optimistic. Those are two great qualities that were not prominent with the former guy.

https://kjzz.com/sports/college/mitchell-gobert-could-learn-from-kobe-shaq
HoopDreams
good research sluggo
calumnus
HoopDreams said:

good research sluggo

Agreed, thanks Sluggo. He is light years ahead of the previous coach. He is a good person and clear thinker. Hopefully spends a lot of time with Kerr going forward and really emphasizes the 3-ball. What would be great is if he adds some charismatic Cal grads on his staff to help recruit and cover his Furdness. Theo is obvious. Monty Buckley? But maybe someone from L.A., always thought Jamal Boykin would be a great coachplayed under Coach K, Braun and Montgomery…

calbearinamaze
Excellent interview.

Thank you!
If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band
BeachedBear
calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

good research sluggo

Agreed, thanks Sluggo. He is light years ahead of the previous coach. He is a good person and clear thinker. Hopefully spends a lot of time with Kerr going forward and really emphasizes the 3-ball. What would be great is if he adds some charismatic Cal grads on his staff to help recruit and cover his Furdness. Theo is obvious. Monty Buckley? But maybe someone from L.A., always thought Jamal Boykin would be a great coachplayed under Coach K, Braun and Montgomery…

I like all of this. I've heard Theo has burnt his bridges, but what about Jerome or Jorge or Leon - I don't know if they can coach, but maybe some other aspect of program support. Randy Duck, Rod Benson and Richard Midgley are other names that I'd like the program to connect with in an active level. Yeah sure, SAR, Kidd and Marks - but they all seem to be pretty busy to be too active right now.
calfanz
How about Brian Wethers.

He's a high school coach in the Temecula area.

He also does private coaching for elite HS prospects.
sluggo
calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

good research sluggo

I agree he could help win over some fans with a charismatic Cal hire. There was a tweet from Buckley against the hire, so I don't think that is happening. Boykin seemed like a coach on the floor but does not appear to have gone that direction after playing. Maybe Randle.
upsetof86
sluggo said:

calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

good research sluggo

I agree he could help win over some fans with a charismatic Cal hire. There was a tweet from Buckley against the hire, so I don't think that is happening. Boykin seemed like a coach on the floor but does not appear to have gone that direction after playing. Maybe Randle.

As much as I fully understand this sentiment I think it would potentially undermine him so let's call it 6 of 1half dozen of the other. It will be his team let him run it win lose or draw.
bearister
BeachedBear said:

calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

good research sluggo

I like all of this. I've heard Theo has burnt his bridges, but what about Jerome or Jorge or Leon - I don't know if they can coach, but maybe some other aspect of program support. Randy Duck, Rod Benson and Richard Midgley are other names that I'd like the program to connect with in an active level. Yeah sure, SAR, Kidd and Marks - but they all seem to be pretty busy to be too active right now.

Theo should be given an award for trying to warn us at the Maui Classic. If the university had heeded the warning we could have avoided having a co school record of -16 in a row. The Foxmeister could have been sole record holder.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.