Do we have a shot at Bronny??

2,336 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Oakbear
BC Calfan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Madsen was an assistant for Lebron for one year in 2018-19.

Hmmmm
concernedparent
He still needs a few years before he's ready for pro ball, but he'd instantly become the best guard on the team. He gets the keys to develop his game and we get major publicity, win-win. Come on Bronny, let's make it happen!!
eastcoastcal
His NIL valuation is like 7M. I think the only way we would theoretically get around that would be if the family didn't put NIL into consideration given that Lebron is so wealthy already. Beyond that, he has a final list of USC, Oregon, and tOSU. Realistically nah we don't have a shot. If he chooses USC or Oregon, I guess we'll have 2 games a year that should be close to sold-out!
ferCALgm2
eastcoastcal said:

His NIL valuation is like 7M. I think the only way we would theoretically get around that would be if the family didn't put NIL into consideration given that Lebron is so wealthy already. Beyond that, he has a final list of USC, Oregon, and tOSU. Realistically nah we don't have a shot. If he chooses USC or Oregon, I guess we'll have 2 games a year that should be close to sold-out!
Things is that he'll likely get that NIL by his name alone, not the school/collective itself.
eastcoastcal
Yeah that's true. I would love it for Madsen to reach out and maybe see if there's even an inkling of interest. Lebron did spend summers on Telegraph, or so I've read, and really enjoyed them!
ferCALgm2
eastcoastcal said:

Yeah that's true. I would love it for Madsen to reach out and maybe see if there's even an inkling of interest. Lebron did spend summers on Telegraph, or so I've read, and really enjoyed them!
Yea, for sure! It's funny you posted this thread because I thought about a bit yesterday as well. I thought there were posts that LeBron was considering Cal had he not gone straight to the NBA from high school. He was on the Oakland Soldiers AAU Team with Cal's Leon Powe.
diva1
Well LeBron almost came to Cal with Leon Powe and the other soldiers. And Jalen Brown came to Cal after meeting and playing against Ivan Rabb. So who knows?
BC Calfan
I've heard Bronny's mom is very savvy and protective of him (in a good and healthy way). I think there's a strong possibility she would prefer Madsen as his caretaker than Altman or Enfield.
75bear
So you're saying there's a chance.....
GMP
This thread is cracking me up. I love the optimism.
stu
It's the optimistic time of the year. New coach, no losses.
BigDaddy
BC Calfan said:

Hmmmm

Bronny is going to USC.
“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
ducky23
diva1 said:

Well LeBron almost came to Cal with Leon Powe and the other soldiers. And Jalen Brown came to Cal after meeting and playing against Ivan Rabb. So who knows?

Does Dirk have a son?
stu
Does Dirks have a son?

HKBear97!
BC Calfan said:

Hmmmm
Please no. Bronny is not that good (of course better than what we've seen the past few years). He is only highly rated because of the name and those that have seen him play are not impressed. And do we really want LeBron and his team exerting that much influence on the program which they will undoubtedly do? I'm familiar with an athletic director here in Southern California and have been told their demands at games are a bit much and that's just in high school. Hard pass.
parentswerebears
This thread is ridiculous. A little bit of hope and we are thinking about Bronny. Y'all are drunk.
oski003
parentswerebears said:

This thread is ridiculous. A little bit of hope and we are thinking about Bronny. Y'all are drunk.

We are past that point. We are now at the point of not wanting Bronny.
GMP
HKBear97! said:

BC Calfan said:

Hmmmm
Please no. Bronny is not that good (of course better than what we've seen the past few years). He is only highly rated because of the name and those that have seen him play are not impressed. And do we really want LeBron and his team exerting that much influence on the program which they will undoubtedly do? I'm familiar with an athletic director here in Southern California and have been told their demands at games are a bit much and that's just in high school. Hard pass.

This is a ridiculous post. Is he going to be as good as his dad? No. Is he going to be an NBA player? Probably, but perhaps not. But is he good enough to play for our basketball team? Uh, yes. 100%.
bearister
parentswerebears said:

Hey, we got Dr. J's son!
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
75bear
bearister said:

parentswerebears said:

Hey, we got Dr. J's son!
And Steve Kerr's son!
HKBear97!
GMP said:

HKBear97! said:

BC Calfan said:

Hmmmm

This is a ridiculous post. Is he going to be as good as his dad? No. Is he going to be an NBA player? Probably, but perhaps not. But is he good enough to play for our basketball team? Uh, yes. 100%.
I didn't say he wasn't good enough to play for Cal, but from those who provided an assessment of his game, making the NBA is a stretch and his ranking seems a bit high. More importantly though, it appears the off-court drama that might come alongside is a risk. Madsen will have enough to deal with as it is, why add that to the mix?

GMP
HKBear97! said:

GMP said:

HKBear97! said:

BC Calfan said:

Hmmmm

I didn't say he wasn't good enough to play for Cal, but from those who provided an assessment of his game, making the NBA is a stretch and his ranking seems a bit high. More importantly though, it appears the off-court drama that might come alongside is a risk. Madsen will have enough to deal with as it is, why add that to the mix?

Look, words matter. When you say, to the idea of Bronny coming to Cal, "Please no. Bronny is not that good..." most readers are going to think you think he's not good enough to play for Cal.

As for the drama, I'll point you to this LA Times story this week, which has a balanced look at his talent and performance, and also discusses that he does not bring drama. A couple excerpts on that last point:

Quote:

Inside the Chatsworth bubble, life is simpler. Bronny patiently poses for pictures with anyone who asks. He takes over the speaker in warmups to play Yeat. He is cheerful but generally quiet in public eerily similar to his father's never loud.

"When you've got these four- or five-star kids, [sometimes] they've got the entourage, the stardom, and they're not quality people in general," said coach Larry Thompson of Wheeler High in Marietta, Ga., which lost to Sierra Canyon at the Galen Center in January. "They're entitled, spoiled, whatever the case may be.

"[Bronny] is the complete opposite."

Quote:

But this is a kid who's seen it all, who's heard it all, who absorbs it and continues to work under the weight of the expectations of millions.

"I think he's ready," Madden said.

Perhaps the best story of Sierra Canyon's season came from the bench, where 12-year-old team manager Erik Ginsburg was waiting, briefly going viral in January after cleaning wet spots during mid-game pauses with hilarious ferocity. And Ginsburg grinned brightly when asked about Bronny, someone the manager calls a friend.

"He respects everyone," Ginsburg said.

The brand awareness he would provide for us alone is worth the scholarship. Plus he's a good player. This is an easy call, if we had the opportunity.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/highschool/story/2023-03-28/bronny-james-lebron-sierra-canyon-senior-season
bearister
75bear said:

bearister said:

parentswerebears said:

Hey, we got Dr. J's son!
And Steve Kerr's son!

….and Lou Campanelli's son.
bearister
stu said:

Does Dirks have a son?

Yes, and he has an amazing crossover and an NBA 3 ball.

*Dirks, himself, is an obvious baller. You have to be to sport that look.
HKBear97!
GMP said:

HKBear97! said:

GMP said:

HKBear97! said:

BC Calfan said:

Hmmmm

Look, words matter. When you say, to the idea of Bronny coming to Cal, "Please no. Bronny is not that good..." most readers are going to think you think he's not good enough to play for Cal.

As for the drama, I'll point you to this LA Times story this week, which has a balanced look at his talent and performance, and also discusses that he does not bring drama. A couple excerpts on that last point:

Quote:

Inside the Chatsworth bubble, life is simpler. Bronny patiently poses for pictures with anyone who asks. He takes over the speaker in warmups to play Yeat. He is cheerful but generally quiet in public eerily similar to his father's never loud.

"When you've got these four- or five-star kids, [sometimes] they've got the entourage, the stardom, and they're not quality people in general," said coach Larry Thompson of Wheeler High in Marietta, Ga., which lost to Sierra Canyon at the Galen Center in January. "They're entitled, spoiled, whatever the case may be.

"[Bronny] is the complete opposite."

Quote:

But this is a kid who's seen it all, who's heard it all, who absorbs it and continues to work under the weight of the expectations of millions.

"I think he's ready," Madden said.

Perhaps the best story of Sierra Canyon's season came from the bench, where 12-year-old team manager Erik Ginsburg was waiting, briefly going viral in January after cleaning wet spots during mid-game pauses with hilarious ferocity. And Ginsburg grinned brightly when asked about Bronny, someone the manager calls a friend.

"He respects everyone," Ginsburg said.

The brand awareness he would provide for us alone is worth the scholarship. Plus he's a good player. This is an easy call, if we had the opportunity.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/highschool/story/2023-03-28/bronny-james-lebron-sierra-canyon-senior-season

I'm pointing out that his ranking at around 35 in the country is likely inflated, but did say he's better than what Cal has recruited over the last several years And the drama is not from Bronny, it's from the rest of family.
Oakbear
GMP said:

This thread is cracking me up. I love the optimism.
we polish up the rosy glasses this time of year, it makes up for what actually happened
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.