Conclusion….

4,561 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by philbert
RedlessWardrobe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bears should have won that game by at least 20 points.

Reason: No need for me to explain it. Anyone who watched it knows why.
75bear
RedlessWardrobe said:

Bears should have won that game by at least 20 points.

Reason: No need for me to explain it. Anyone who watched it knows why.
A win is a win is a win.

Given that we have lost a bunch of games this year by the slimmest of margins, I'm happy with any game where we have the most points in the end. I'll savor this one for a few days.
RedlessWardrobe
Don't mean to be misunderstood. I will take any kind of win happily. But our turnovers and fouls continue to be extremely DUMB ones.
Big C

Yeah, we won the game. Made me nervous that their center got four steals in the second half, but we won the game... against (F)UCLA... in Pauley. The question is now, where do we go from here in our next 17+ games?
westwoodbear1
Beating UCLA in basketball is like beating SC in football. This win must be savored.
philbert
Nothing wrong with winning ugly on the road. Not sure when was the last time they won a true road game?

sonofabear51
Agreed. For reasons I stated on another thread. Looked like bad high school basketball. I think Campolindo would have had a 50/50 chance to beat either team. Oh well.

Glad Cal beat the song Stealers, or baby bears, or the bRuins. Sure works for me.

Also, I do think Madsen has them moving in the right direction finally after years of BS from Jones/Fox.

GO BEARS!!
Start Slowly and taper off
stu
philbert said:

Nothing wrong with winning ugly on the road. Not sure when was the last time they won a true road game?
What was ugly was the announcers talking about UCLA 95% of the time even though they never led.
sonofabear51
I caught that also. Wasn't Mclean one of the announcers? I think he was. If that is the case, well, consider the source. He was a jackass at Fucla also IIRC, at least at Harmon
Start Slowly and taper off
graguna
CAL beat UCLA by more than marquette and gonzaga did. both those teams are ranked. the game wasn't that ugly and CAL won wire to wire. i had fun watching the game.
philbert
Cal last won on the road in February 2022 (vs the Oregon schools). It's time to celebrate!
stu
graguna said:

CAL beat UCLA by more than marquette and gonzaga did. both those teams are ranked. the game wasn't that ugly and CAL won wire to wire. i had fun watching the game.
I would have had more fun if I hadn't run out of heart pills with 10 minutes remaining.
philbert
Another reason

JimSox
stu said:

graguna said:

I would have had more fun if I hadn't run out of heart pills with 10 minutes remaining.

Yeah. Funny!
Hey Cone made a big shot what it counted most. Tyson made a couple. And in the end they didn't blow it. So let's win some more!
bearister

"Well, a wise man once told me that an ugly win is like an ugly girlfriend, at least you have a girlfriend,"
-Mark Fox at post game radio interview after a rare home preseason win his first year as coach.
*My immediate reaction: Does he know what city he is in?
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
RedlessWardrobe
sonofabear51 said:

I caught that also. Wasn't Mclean one of the announcers? I think he was. If that is the case, well, consider the source. He was a jackass at Fucla also IIRC, at least at Harmon
What amazed me is usually McLean is really good as a commentator. I guess when he does UCLA games at home his alter ego comes out.
The ridiculous foul call against us in the second half (can't remember which player) when it was clearly a charge against their guy, and on the replay all McLean could say was "close." Normally he would have called that one out.
oskidunker
He never told us a technical was called on Cronin.
Go Bears!
89Bear
Hey, the team is in need of anything that can build up their confidence. They won in Pauley. Certainly helps.
OdontoBear66
BTW where do we stand with Kennedy and Meadows. Both are RS Seniors. Can they come back next year or are they done like Aimac?
HoopDreams
oskidunker said:

Cronin should have got a second tech and booted from the game after throwing that temper tantrum
Civil Bear
OdontoBear66 said:

BTW where do we stand with Kennedy and Meadows. Both are RS Seniors. Can they come back next year or are they done like Aimac?
Kennedy will be out of eligibility. Meadows plays for the SLU Bilikins.
bearister
Don remains my favorite color man. It is amazing that averaging 20 PPG x 4 (2,608) gave him the still standing conference total points record.

I suppose that his record still stands because anyone capable of bettering it either leaves for the NBA after one or 2 seasons, or at a minimum, transfers to another conference.

* Pete Maravich is the all-time leading NCAA Division I scorer with 3,667 points scored and an average of 44.2 points per game. No shot clock, no 3 point shot, and played only 3 seasons since freshman couldn't play varsity. Wikipedia
OdontoBear66
bearister said:

Don remains my favorite color man. It is amazing that averaging 20 PPG x 4 (2,608) gave him the still standing conference total points record.

I suppose that his record still stands because anyone capable of bettering it either leaves for the NBA after one or 2 seasons, or at a minimum, transfers to another conference.

* Pete Maravich is the all-time leading NCAA Division I scorer with 3,667 points scored and an average of 44.2 points per game. No shot clock, no 3 point shot, and played only 3 seasons since freshman couldn't play varsity. Wikipedia
Whoa, bearister, you are totally throwing me off....Yes, McClain is very good, but I thought you were a total tie dye, Grateful Dead, woozy Walton kinda guy...
OdontoBear66
Civil Bear said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Kennedy will be out of eligibility. Meadows plays for the SLU Bilikins.
Thanks. I lost track of Meadows and thought maybe injured, but I like what Kennedy brings. Too bad.
stu
HoopDreams said:

oskidunker said:

Cronin should have got a second tech and booted from the game after throwing that temper tantrum
Cronin = Fox in a program which recruits itself.
stu
LA Times on Cronin:
https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/story/2024-01-07/mick-cronin-ucla-meltdown-take-responsibility
ducky23
It's pretty funny that all of you were old enough to watch him play and yet not a single one of you could spell his name correctly.

The prize goes to bearister for accepting his old age and spelling it "Don."
calumnus
stu said:

LA Times on Cronin:
https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/story/2024-01-07/mick-cronin-ucla-meltdown-take-responsibility

Wow. He is toast. LA press holds these guys accountable. Can you imagine any Bay Area reporter writing something like that about a Cal coach? Only after they are canned.
bearister
ducky23 said:

It's pretty funny that all of you were old enough to watch him play and yet not a single one of you could spell his name correctly.

I AM CALLING AN AGEISM FLAGRANT FOUL!

You are overlooking the fact that during the game, I was the one that tried to clear it up for all you dumbf@ucks, young and old:

https://bearinsider.com/forums/3/topics/119078/replies/2288363

*Free bonus lesson: As a general rule, the Irish use Mc and the Scottish Mac (but there is crossover)
BearSD
calumnus said:

stu said:

LA Times on Cronin:

Wow. He is toast. LA press holds these guys accountable. Can you imagine any Bay Area reporter writing something like that about a Cal coach? Only after they are canned.

Meh. That column is just Plaschke, the old man who spends his days shaking his fist at the clouds.

CNHTH
Conclusion is this team has all the ingredients for a tourney team… a score anywhere 2/3 combo in Tyson, a knockdown point guard in cone, a stretch 3 who can defend in Kennedy, and a 5 who can rebound…
The problem and reason why that won't happen this year is defense and turnovers.
But that gets solved with time.
This team has only been playing together a month and a half.
I fully expect the chemistry to meld within the next 2 weeks and for us to finish the final 10 at 7-3 or better.
Big C
^^^ I'm not super confident that your second ingredient is that big an asset for us, but I'm hoping that comes around.
ducky23
bearister said:

ducky23 said:

I AM CALLING AN AGEISM FLAGRANT FOUL!

You are overlooking the fact that during the game, I was the one that tried to clear it up for all you dumbf@ucks, young and old:

https://bearinsider.com/forums/3/topics/119078/replies/2288363

*Free bonus lesson: As a general rule, the Irish use Mc and the Scottish Mac (but there is crossover)

You are THE MAN, bearister. You're an absolute credit to all old people everywhere.
oskidunker
The Nil will hurt ucla. Players don't care about the ucla name anymore. They want the money. Good, fucla.

https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/2023/12/23/national-commentator-blasts-ucla-basketballs-nil-failures-speculates-about-mick-cronin/
Go Bears!
bearister
ducky23 said:

You are THE MAN, bearister. You're an absolute credit to all old people everywhere.

….and the total tuition cost of my 4 years at Cal was less than $3G, I paid $300/month for my two bedroom furnished apartment on Benvenue for the 6 years I lived there after graduation, my first house in Walnut Creek cost $137K (FMV today $1.6M) and my current house has increased in value 4 fold since I bought it 32 years ago. HOW DO YOU LIKE DEM APPLES? OLD GUY'S RULE!

*The down side is that at my age it is too risky to buy green bananas.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.