Rodney Brown Jr. in the portal

3,782 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by oskidunker
Johnfox
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearsandgiants
Kind of weird to see the entire team bail. I really hope this is because none of these guys fit the culture and vision of Madsen and not that the NIL account is so depleted we can't even hang onto role players.
Bobodeluxe
Dominos!
oskidunker
bearsandgiants said:

Kind of weird to see the entire team bail. I really hope this is because none of these guys fit the culture and vision of Madsen and not that the NIL account is so depleted we can't even hang onto role players.

Not good news. Brown is a good player but not a good ball handler. I noticed whenever he came in the other team put the press on and he turned the ball over many times.
Go Bears!
Johnfox
Anyone have any insight as to what Madsen's plan is??
ncbears
Johnfox said:

He got the contract extension (perhaps knowing that next year would be even more of a rebuilding year than this one)
oskidunker
ncbears said:

Johnfox said:

He got the contract extension (perhaps knowing that next year would be even more of a rebuilding year than this one)

He must have better players lined up.
Go Bears!
Big C

Okafor: okay, it happens
Askew: best of luck to him
Newell: hey, he could've fit into our plans... but it's all good, i hope...
Brown? Okay, what's going on?

You see, I can spot a trend when I see it!

8.7% chance there is something serious going on there. Could there be somebody on staff that the players hate? Could Madsen have favored the grad transfers and irked the rest of the team?

I'm pretty curious now.
oskidunker
Big C said:

8.7% chance there is something serious going on there. Could there be somebody on staff that the players hate? Could Madsen have favored the grad transfers and irked the rest of the team?

I'm pretty curious now.

My guess is they wanted nil money which we were unwilling to pay much to non starters. This means a short bench again, probably
Go Bears!
bearsandgiants
Next rodcast should be interesting.
Johnfox
If I had to guess, Madsen told these players they would have to compete with high level players he's bringing in.
01Bear
Dang! I was high on Rodney. He could've been coached up into a 1st round NBA draft pick. TBH, he probably still can.

There's no way to sugarcoat it, this is a serious loss to Cal's team next year.
Civil Bear
oskidunker said:

Big C said:

I'm pretty curious now.

My guess is they wanted nil money which we were unwilling to pay much to non starters. This means a short bench again, probably
Or we just don't have any.
prospeCt
~ If professionalized college sports are overrated and shoot their wad, could Cal Berkeley become an IM, maybe some self-funded Club sports, wonderland . . . ?

Bobodeluxe
Good god, the mid seventies were awful.
Big C

Here's the thing with something like NIL:

If you have, 1-2 guys making big bucks (say, high six figures)... then you have 2-3 guys making pretty decent bucks (say, low six figures)... then you have the rest of the team making nothing, or hardly anything, there are probably going to be problems with the team chemistry.

Not saying this is happening at Cal -- because I have no idea -- but I am saying that the "new era" is fraught with opportunity... but also potential problems.
01Bear
Big C said:

Here's the thing with something like NIL:

If you have, 1-2 guys making big bucks (say, high six figures)... then you have 2-3 guys making pretty decent bucks (say, low six figures)... then you have the rest of the team making nothing, or hardly anything, there are probably going to be problems with the team chemistry.

Not saying this is happening at Cal -- because I have no idea -- but I am saying that the "new era" is fraught with opportunity... but also potential problems.

Absolutely, but that's always the case with players who get paid to play where the funds are limited. Even going back to the Chicago Black Sox, one of the issues was that many of the players were getting paid peanuts but the college educated Eddie Collins was making more. The solution isn't to move to a system where the players receive nothing. Rather, the distribution of revenue should be such that the players receive the bulk of the revenue. This will incentivize better performance by the players, as this leads to more revenue.

The better criticism is that under the system I propose, the B1G and SEC teams will be able to pay their players more money because their media deals are greater. However, I fully suspect that the B1G and SEC media deals will not pay out as drafted. Instead, I expect the deals will be breached early for inability to pay and the B1G and SEC schools will find themselves overcommitted. There's likely to be a mass exodus of student athletes from the B1G and SEC in five years as a result.
Oakbear
NIL is like free agency, guy wants more bucks, go in the portal, maybe your current team ups the offer, who knows, but the landscape is changed and in my opinion not better for the fans
calumnus
Oakbear said:

NIL is like free agency, guy wants more bucks, go in the portal, maybe your current team ups the offer, who knows, but the landscape is changed and in my opinion not better for the fans

Pretty much. But as a fan I want things to be better for the players. We need to adapt and be ahead of the curve. And this year was already better for the fans than if Madsen were coaching last year's roster.
Bobodeluxe
The Utah football team gave every player a new leased Powerwagon for just being on the team. It's just business.
6956bear
Oakbear said:

I think there are multiple layers of fandom here. Some just want to win while many others want to feel like the players are a part of the Cal family. It is what it is right now. The players have a lot of leverage and are using it. There is something missing IMO but once the games start I want to win them. I root for these guys like they have been a part of this from the beginning.

Not everyone will be on board with this. And not just the NIL but the comings and goings of every roster every single season.

What once seemed like a game played by college students mostly is now a professional business. So if that is what it is, then lets win. Maybe someday this NIL and transfer portal thing will get some guardrails and most teams will be in a similar position.

If they are going to be wearing Cal gear I will root for them. But I do understand that not everyone does or will feel that way. Some will tune out.
calumnus
6956bear said:

Oakbear said:

I think there are multiple layers of fandom here. Some just want to win while many others want to feel like the players are a part of the Cal family. It is what it is right now. The players have a lot of leverage and are using it. There is something missing IMO but once the games start I want to win them. I root for these guys like they have been a part of this from the beginning.

Not everyone will be on board with this. And not just the NIL but the comings and goings of every roster every single season.

What once seemed like a game played by college students mostly is now a professional business. So if that is what it is, then lets win. Maybe someday this NIL and transfer portal thing will get some guardrails and most teams will be in a similar position.

If they are going to be wearing Cal gear I will root for them. But I do understand that not everyone does or will feel that way. Some will tune out.

I think some of the turmoil is from the coaching change. I think going forward more players who come to Cal will stay to play for Madsen and get a Cal degree.

We do not even know that Brown is leaving. He is entering the Portal while he can still leverage his 4 star prep rating, if Madsen has a role for him and there is NIL for him, he could very well come back. That said, Brown might do better in a more structured offense, where he can be primarily a shooter, like Mathews found with Mark Few and Gonzaga?
Richmondbear2
This is sarcasm, right?
Shocky1
Richmondbear2 said:

This is sarcasm, right?
kinda seems like it, comparing the kinda lost low energy/zero defense rodney brown to a hard nosed competitor that drained 3 point moneyballs in a national championships game seems like sarcasm but who knows richmond?
01Bear
Richmondbear2 said:

This is sarcasm, right?

Which comment do you think is sarcastic?

In any case, I was sincere in my comments. But it'd be helpful to know with which comment you disagreed.
01Bear
Shocky1 said:

Richmondbear2 said:

This is sarcasm, right?
kinda seems like it, comparing the kinda lost low energy/zero defense rodney brown to a hard nosed competitor that drained 3 point moneyballs in a national championships game seems like sarcasm but who knows richmond?

Unlike certain jerks in this forum, I don't enjoy talking crap about players just because they opt to transfer from Cal. I've been up front in my praise and criticism of Rodney Brown, Jr. He definitely has has NBA potential re athleticism and build. The rest of the equation (really, the crux of it) depends on Rodney, himself. He needs to develop a great deal more before he gets there. Mark Madsen could've probably helped him with that, but he's leaving for some unknown coach. For Rodney's sake, I hope the new coaching staff can develop him sufficiently.
Shocky1
01, ur knowledge or access to nba organizational scouting reports is obviously non existent, rodney brown lacks the +1 athleticism that is required to defend in the nba...that fact that he doesn't appear to be physically or mentally engaged in playing defense, looks kinda lost on the court much of the time with a low basketball iq/feel for the game plus got a lousy work ethic/sense of entitlement from his little league dad means he's not even on the nba radar, got it?

and no rodney brown is not a cal student athlete, he's traded in a highly coveted berkeley degree for a very uncertain future, good luck to him & his dad in getting paid now

yeah when rodney turns 30 & handing out towels at ballys fitness with grant newell (who will also never earn a dollar in the nba, not even on the radar) he's gonna wish he got that berkeley degree
01Bear
Shocky1 said:

01, ur knowledge or access to nba organizational scouting reports is obviously non existent, rodney brown lacks the +1 athleticism that is required to defend in the nba...that fact that he doesn't appear to be physically or mentally engaged in playing defense, looks kinda lost on the court much of the time with a low basketball iq/feel for the game plus got a lousy work ethic/sense of entitlement from his little league dad means he's not even on the nba radar, got it?

and no rodney brown is not a cal student athlete, he's traded in a highly coveted berkeley degree for a very uncertain future, good luck to him & his dad in getting paid now

yeah when rodney turns 30 & handing out towels at ballys fitness with grant newell (who will also never earn a dollar in the nba, not even on the radar) he's gonna wish he got that berkeley degree

A Cal degree is obviously something of which we alumni are rightly proud, but it's not the end-all, be-all of financial success let alone the only path to a successful future. If neither Rodney not Grant graduates with a Cal degree, they can still become successful in whatever they choose to do with their lives.

Also, here's the thing, just because you're a pretentious blowhard elitist jerkoff doesn't mean everyone else is one. So what if someone hands out towels at Bally's? Does that somehow mean that person is somehow less worthy of respect or human dignity? It's good honest work; if the guy is okay with it, more power to him. I'd rather shake hands with the Bally's towel guy than sit courtside with someone who denigrates kids* for no reason other than to make himself feel big on a college sports forum.

*Ignoring your history of misogyny, no less.
Shocky1
^ if someone gets kicked out of harvard law school & is later handing out towels at ballys, yeah then they ****** up

if someone with a ged & a prison record is handing towels out at ballys, then they are on an upward trajectory in life

life is not linear#
01Bear
Shocky1 said:

^ if someone gets kicked out of harvard law school & is later handing out towels at ballys, yeah then they ****** up

if someone with a ged & a prison record is handing towels out at ballys, then they are on an upward trajectory in life

life is not linear#

So which is Rodney and/or Grant? Neither have been to prison. You couldn't possibly be suggesting that a Cal undergrad degree is comparable to a Harvard law degree.
Big C
01Bear said:

Shocky1 said:

life is not linear#

So which is Rodney and/or Grant? Neither have been to prison. You couldn't possibly be suggesting that a Cal undergrad degree is comparable to a Harvard law degree.

I believe Shocky was referring to me. I have made the most of my chances, post-incarceration. My internship of handing out posts on Bear Insider will be good preparation for when Bally's comes calling with the towel job.
RedlessWardrobe
Wow this thread is getting steamy. Good thing we're talking about towels.
bearsandgiants
As Cal fans, we're all in a prison of sorts.
Bobodeluxe
They could always change the laundry.

Oh, they did.
oskidunker
bearsandgiants said:

As Cal fans, we're all in a prison of sorts.

You got that right!
Go Bears!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.