Madsen to BYU?

5,969 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by calumnus
Johnfox
How long do you want to ignore this user?
calumnus
Johnfox said:

When we hired Madsen, the schools I was worried about were Stanford and BYU (and maybe Utah). We got past Stanford.

If I am BYU AD Tom Holmoe, I go after Madsen hard. He is a unicorn for them.

I think the primary danger here is only how his wife/family is adapting to NorCal and whether she is homesick.
Bobodeluxe
Provo has freshly made ice cream ON CAMPUS.
oskiswifeshusband
Yeah no way in hell BYU pays 5-6M+ buyout.
01Bear
oskiswifeshusband said:

The buyout is really what I'm pinning my hopes on to prevent Coach Madsen's defection. But IIRC, BYU is run by the Latter Day Saints Church. $5-6million is a drop in the bucket to pay for a basketball coach if they really wanted him.

At the end of the day, I guess that means I'm just really hoping Coach believes his time at Cal's not up and there's more for him to accomplish here.
oskiswifeshusband
It won't happen.

If it does happen that will help us fire Jim Dummyton and JW if he doesn't live up to expectations.

I really really really doubt MM leaves now.
calumnus
oskiswifeshusband said:

Reportedly they are getting $5 million from Kentucky for Pope.

Holmoe knows what Madsen's buyout is so he wouldn't be pursuing him if he wasn't willing to pay it. IMO it will come down to where Madsen and his family want to be.

At least if we get $4-5 million from BYU maybe Lyons can use it to fire Knowlton.
prospeCt
https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2024/4/11/24127871/head-coach-candidates-byu-basketball-to-replace-mark-pope-mark-madsen-chris-burgess-barret-peery

calumnus
01Bear said:

oskiswifeshusband said:

The buyout is really what I'm pinning my hopes on to prevent Coach Madsen's defection. But IIRC, BYU is run by the Latter Day Saints Church. $5-6million is a drop in the bucket to pay for a basketball coach if they really wanted him.

At the end of the day, I guess that means I'm just really hoping Coach believes his time at Cal's not up and there's more for him to accomplish here.

It is being reported that BYU is getting $5 million from Kentucky for Pope. Tom Holmoe would not go after Madsen if he wasn't prepared to pay the buyout.

It comes down to where Madsen and his family want to be.
ManBearLion123
Where do you see that Pope's buyout is $5 million?

His contract details aren't public.
CalBearinLA
ManBearLion123 said:

Where do you see that Pope's buyout is $5 million?

His contract details aren't public.
probably on twitter:

ManBearLion123
This tweet is pretty clearly a typo, given the context. He's referring to Madsen's buyout being $5 million (before his extension).
CalBearinLA
ManBearLion123 said:

This tweet is pretty clearly a typo, given the context. He's referring to Madsen's buyout being $5 million (before his extension).
shrugs...either way, it could still be on twitter somewhere
BearSD
Under Madsen's original contract, he would have owed a buyout of $5 million before March 31 and $4 million from March 31 this year through March 30 2025.

Perhaps that buyout was increased in Madsen's recent extension, but there's no mention of the buyout one way or another in the Cal press release announcing Madsen's extension.
Big C
calumnus said:

01Bear said:

oskiswifeshusband said:

It is being reported that BYU is getting $5 million from Kentucky for Pope. Tom Holmoe would not go after Madsen if he wasn't prepared to pay the buyout.

Some guy made a list. Madsen's on it because LDS. Doesn't mean it's for real. If he didn't go to Furd, he's not going to BYU.
CalBearinLA
Big C said:

calumnus said:

01Bear said:

oskiswifeshusband said:

Some guy made a list. Madsen's on it because LDS. Doesn't mean it's for real. If he didn't go to Furd, he's not going to BYU.
imagine if every Catholic coach was linked to Notre Dame every time there was a job opening
BearSD
CalBearinLA said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

01Bear said:

oskiswifeshusband said:

imagine if every Catholic coach was linked to Notre Dame every time there was a job opening
The difference is that Notre Dame hires head coaches who are not Catholic, and has a long history of doing so.
CalBearinLA
BearSD said:

CalBearinLA said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

01Bear said:

oskiswifeshusband said:

The difference is that Notre Dame hires head coaches who are not Catholic, and has a long history of doing so.
yes i know lol...i wasn't being serious
bearsandgiants
Bobodeluxe said:

Provo has freshly made ice cream ON CAMPUS.

I have that in my kitchen, with "free" toppings!
bearsandgiants
BearSD said:

Under Madsen's original contract, he would have owed a buyout of $5 million before March 31 and $4 million from March 31 this year through March 30 2025.

Perhaps that buyout was increased in Madsen's recent extension, but there's no mention of the buyout one way or another in the Cal press release announcing Madsen's extension.

What a terribly low buyout. Jesus. Another classic Knowlton fail.
bearsandgiants
Are we really at the stage where we can't even hold onto coaches who underperform?
DaveT
Good news is he doesn't have any players he can take with him.
Eastern Oregon Bear
bearsandgiants said:

Are we really at the stage where we can't even hold onto coaches who underperform?
See Wilcox, Justin.
Alkiadt
bearsandgiants said:

So you're randomly jumping to conclusions based on a speculative tweet, two weeks after Madsen signed an extension with a significant buyout? (And Yes, $4-$5 million is significant).

Relax. If he leaves he leaves.

Edit: he just posted on X this morning that he's excited about the future thanked everyone for their support. BYU or any other job ain't happening.
bearsandgiants
Bobodeluxe
DaveT said:

Good news is he doesn't have any players he can take with him.
Some folks go through life, and never see a cloud in the sky.
parentswerebears
This was a classic " because he's LDS" bit of crap. Like there is no other considerations besides religion. Like he doesn't have a brain of his own.
wifeisafurd
He is a couple months from being an ACC coach, which in men's basketball is the equivalent of saying you just got named a SEC head coach on the football side. Win at that level and you become basketball royalty.
prospeCt

https://www.lrb.co.uk/blog/2024/april/in-florida
Oakbear

have to adjust for the Jesuit factor too
Bobodeluxe
prospeCt said:

https://www.lrb.co.uk/blog/2024/april/in-florida

What a great read. Them smarties sure do hate real murkuh.
CalBearinLA
Oakbear said:

have to adjust for the Jesuit factor too
amazing how many programs are based at Jesuit institutions too: Georgetown, Santa Clara, Gonzaga, SeattleU, Loyola Chicago, Marquette, Creighton, USF
Basketball Bear
bearsandgiants said:

Well this answers all the doomsday comments on this thread.
BeachedBear
bearsandgiants said:

Still figuring out this whole social media thing huh?
CalBearinLA
bearsandgiants said:

I'd love to see how amazing you are jumping into a new job that was a dumpster fire and how quickly you turn things around at a place with so many systemic issues

You aren't proving a point, just showing ignorance
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.