Soooo after seeing Wilkinson in person all I have to say is

8,779 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by Econ141
CNHTH
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wow!
100% future lottery pick just based on athleticism alone.
Serious serious handles, athleticism, didn't really get a good read on his jumper (lefty) or range though form looked good.
IMHO absolute steal of a get for us.
Kudos to madsen and whoever found him.
4thGenCal
CNHTH said:

Wow!
Serious serious handles, athleticism, didn't really get a good read on his jumper (lefty) or range though form looked good.
Totally agree on the steal of a get for us - very athletic/explosive jumper and very smooth outside shot - very comparable looking shot to Jalen Celestine - terms of release, back spin and arc. Also was raised very well - confident, but not cocky, respectful and an absolute gym rat - literally is in the gym working the majority of the day. Sure hope the staff gives him some quality/important minutes come game time, since we need to keep him come the following year. Going to be a log jam at PG, assuming the other two guys are healthy and finish the required summer classes to be eligible.
Johnfox
Maybe he could play the Rodney Brown minutes?
RedlessWardrobe
4thGenCal said:

CNHTH said:

Wow!
Totally agree on the steal of a get for us - very athletic/explosive jumper and very smooth outside shot - very comparable looking shot to Jalen Celestine - terms of release, back spin and arc. Also was raised very well - confident, but not cocky, respectful and an absolute gym rat - literally is in the gym working the majority of the day. Sure hope the staff gives him some quality/important minutes come game time, since we need to keep him come the following year. Going to be a log jam at PG, assuming the other two guys are healthy and finish the required summer classes to be eligible.
Based on the discussions we've had here in the last few weeks, this is the last thing I ever expected to be reading!
BeachedBear
3 competent PGs competing for minutes.

THIS IS THE PROBLEM WE WANT TO HAVE!!!
SFCityBear
4thGenCal said:

CNHTH said:

Wow!
I really like the fact that Madsen obviously realized that PG was the biggest missing piece from his first year of recruiting, and he was determined to rectify that this season. On a team with so many new players unfamiliar with each other, one player should be the leader on the floor, and that player should be the PG, who handles the ball at the beginning of most plays, if we plan to play as a team, not as 5 individuals. Last season, we had Cone, who made a valiant try, but was inadequate in that area of the game, and Tyson who had some of the qualities to lead a team, but needed to call his own number a lot, just to get enough points on the board to keep the game close. It should be interesting this year.
barsad
Wilkinson has great potential, but I'm tempering expectations until he proves himself on the court. It's really like that for every man on the roster, it will make non-conference play a little more exciting to watch as the guys compete for minutes.
We are still weakest at the 5-spot, and in general we have a size problem compared to the best ACC teams. Last year when Aimaq went down or had a bad game, there was no one behind him. This year will be the same story if Sissoko is all we have in the wide-body department. Dort and Curtis don't seem like viable backups, but I hope I'm wrong about that.
RedlessWardrobe
SFCityBear said:

4thGenCal said:

CNHTH said:

Wow!
I really like the fact that Madsen obviously realized that PG was the biggest missing piece from his first year of recruiting, and he was determined to rectify that this season. On a team with so many new players unfamiliar with each other, one player should be the leader on the floor, and that player should be the PG, who handles the ball at the beginning of most plays, if we plan to play as a team, not as 5 individuals. Last season, we had Cone, who made a valiant try, but was inadequate in that area of the game, and Tyson who had some of the qualities to lead a team, but needed to call his own number a lot, just to get enough points on the board to keep the game close. It should be interesting this year.
I'm not an insider, but I think last year's plan was for Askew to be the point guard. I think MM knew right from the beginning that Cone wasn't a true point guard. MM probably should have taken into consideration that Askew was injury prone, but because of the timing maybe bringing in a true backup wasn't able to happen. Tyson was used as the "default" point guard, I think everyone, i.e.MM, coaches, fans, would have preferred to see Tyson play without so much put on him.
Basketball Bear
I think also the loss of Mike Meadows who transferred out when Pavlovic came in, had a big impact. He had a 3:1 assist to turnover ratio at St. Louis. He would have just stepped right in and run the team.
calumnus
RedlessWardrobe said:

SFCityBear said:

4thGenCal said:

CNHTH said:

Wow!
I'm not an insider, but I think last year's plan was for Askew to be the point guard. I think MM knew right from the beginning that Cone wasn't a true point guard. MM probably should have taken into consideration that Askew was injury prone, but because of the timing maybe bringing in a true backup wasn't able to happen. Tyson was used as the "default" point guard, I think everyone, i.e.MM, coaches, fans, would have preferred to see Tyson play without so much put on him.

Even if he was not injured, Askew was not going to be the answer: 2-14 as starter at Cal (Zero wins playing for Fox, but wins over St Thomas and Cal State Bakersfield under Madsen) with one of the lowest WS/40 on the team (2 of 14 from three, 14 assists with 11 TOV). Even before his injury he was not playing at a level that deserved PT much less a starting role with tge ball in his hands. And he did not show good leadership skills on or off the floor.

Basically last year's team had 4 or 5 <possible> options at PG, but none of them turned out to be good options. Tyson taking over the duties was probably not contemplated but turned out to be the best option.

This year, we seem to have some good potentisl options at PG.
SFCityBear
RedlessWardrobe said:

SFCityBear said:

4thGenCal said:

CNHTH said:

Wow!
I'm no insider either, but if Jalen Cone was not a true point guard, he sure fooled the recruit ranking services, and plenty of coaches along the way. Both ESPN and Rivals ranked Cone as the #13 point guard in the 2019 class, and 247sports ranked him #23 point guard in 2019. Cone wanted to play point guard in college, and he thought that meant having his coach "give him the keys to the car" to let him play the way he wanted, which was him scoring plenty and making sure to involve his teammates. Buddy Young let him try to do that at Virginia Tech, and Northern Arizona did too.

According to an article in Sports Illustrated by Jake Curtis, here is what Mark Madsen had to say about Cone: "Bringing Jalen to Berkeley was a top priority for our coaching staff," Cal head coach Mark Madsen said in a statement provided by the school. "He's an elite shooter who will boost our offense immediately and bring a mature, calming presence to our team. Jalen is also a tremendous playmaker who gets into the paint at will."

To be fair to Cone, he had suffered a bad foot injury at VA Tech, and that could still be affecting his shooting at Cal. In the end, his performance at Cal was not elite shooting, nor was there tremendous playmaking from him. I agree with Madsen on Cone's presence. He was a hard worker. He was a leader, in the huddle, or encouraging his teammates. I liked that he hardly ever made turnovers, and he made his free throws. I think Madsen gave him the green light to shoot when ever he wanted, and we all saw the results. In retrospect, that was a mistake, IMO.

I don't see how Madsen would have planned to have Askew as the point guard. Askew plays slow, too slow for Madsen's offense. He knows how to pass, but at Cal, he mostly concentrated on slowly working his way into the paint for a shot, or taking threes, which he did not do well. He has been unimpressive for every team he has played for. He has had more than his share of injury and illness, and I hope he will do better in the future.

Here are some articles:

https://usatodayhss.com/2019/elite-pg-jalen-cone-picks-virginia-tech-after-reclassifying-to-2019-mike-young-buzz-williams

https://www.si.com/college/cal/basketball/cal-adds-jalen-cone

https://techlunchpail.com/blog/scouting-report-virginia-tech-jalen-cone/
calumnus
SFCityBear said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

SFCityBear said:

4thGenCal said:

CNHTH said:

Wow!
I'm no insider either, but if Jalen Cone was not a true point guard, he sure fooled the recruit ranking services, and plenty of coaches along the way. Both ESPN and Rivals ranked Cone as the #13 point guard in the 2019 class, and 247sports ranked him #23 point guard in 2019. Cone wanted to play point guard in college, and he thought that meant having his coach "give him the keys to the car" to let him play the way he wanted, which was him scoring plenty and making sure to involve his teammates. Buddy Young let him try to do that at Virginia Tech, and Northern Arizona did too.

According to an article in Sports Illustrated by Jake Curtis, here is what Mark Madsen had to say about Cone: "Bringing Jalen to Berkeley was a top priority for our coaching staff," Cal head coach Mark Madsen said in a statement provided by the school. "He's an elite shooter who will boost our offense immediately and bring a mature, calming presence to our team. Jalen is also a tremendous playmaker who gets into the paint at will."

To be fair to Cone, he had suffered a bad foot injury at VA Tech, and that could still be affecting his shooting at Cal. In the end, his performance at Cal was not elite shooting, nor was there tremendous playmaking from him. I agree with Madsen on Cone's presence. He was a hard worker. He was a leader, in the huddle, or encouraging his teammates. I liked that he hardly ever made turnovers, and he made his free throws. I think Madsen gave him the green light to shoot when ever he wanted, and we all saw the results. In retrospect, that was a mistake, IMO.

I don't see how Madsen would have planned to have Askew as the point guard. Askew plays slow, too slow for Madsen's offense. He knows how to pass, but at Cal, he mostly concentrated on slowly working his way into the paint for a shot, or taking threes, which he did not do well. He has been unimpressive for every team he has played for. He has had more than his share of injury and illness, and I hope he will do better in the future.

Here are some articles:

https://usatodayhss.com/2019/elite-pg-jalen-cone-picks-virginia-tech-after-reclassifying-to-2019-mike-young-buzz-williams

Agreed. Cone was the plan, it didn't really work out. It happens.

The options look better this year, but nothing is guaranteed. Even good players can have slumps and bad seasons.

I think the possibilities at PG this year are more promising, but I also think we will need our PG to facilitate more balanced scoring this year, so a higher level of play will really be needed.

01Bear
calumnus said:

SFCityBear said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

SFCityBear said:

4thGenCal said:

CNHTH said:

Wow!

Here are some articles:

Agreed. Cone was the plan, it didn't really work out. It happens.

The options look better this year, but nothing is guaranteed. Even good players can have slumps and bad seasons.

I think the possibilities at PG this year are more promising, but I also think we will need our PG to facilitate more balanced scoring this year, so a higher level of play will really be needed.

I'm curious what kind of offense Madsen will run next year. Last year's squad had many opportunities to run backdoor cuts but didn't take them. One thing I'd like to see is more off-ball movement and passing over the top to the post streaker.

With the wide bodies coming in to Cal next year, we should be able to run some good screens (both on-ball and off-ball) to free up shooters or to get an easy pass to a roller down the paint.

As much as I appreciated Jaylon Tyson and how he carved up defenses single-handedly, I'd much rather see good teamwork to spring shooters free*. Not only will it make it harder for defenders to shut down, but it's just prettier basketball.

*One thing I loved about the Warriors offense from a decade ago was all the off-ball movement by Klay and the multiple ways his teammates freed him with screens. The elevator screen, when executed well, was such a thing of beauty!
RedlessWardrobe
To both CA and SFCB, and others:

Just to "make myself clear", my comment was never to imply that I thought Askew was the answer at point guard, but for the first three games (before Askew got hurt) MM used Askew and Cone in the starting lineup (both over 30 minutes) and during those games Askew was used as the point guard and JC as the shooting guard. At that time it appeared to be Madsen's plan.

(Major problem, Askew didn't much "pointing" and percentage wise JC didn't do much "shooting."
socaltownie
I think the MM learned that among the many differences between the NBA and the college game is the central importance of the PG. I think it is because while 80% (or more?) of the NBA is fully capable of providing rim defense that number goes down so much in the college game. Also in the NBA 90% or more of the players are capable of creating "their own shot". But in the college game having a PG who can break down his defender and then finish or kick is just a huge part of the game.

If you read his interviews last year he made mention of everyone initiating and bringing the ball up. Not so much in recruiting season number 2.
Johnfox
Christian Tucker and Jovan Blacksher Jr are true point guards. Jalen Cone was more of a PG that looked to score instead of passing.
wifeisafurd
MM has commented also the guard position being upgraded on defense. He said it more politely than I just did, but point delivered. Expect better guard play this upcoming season. And Wilkerson is standing out in practices so far.
calumnus
Johnfox said:

Christian Tucker and Jovan Blacksher Jr are true point guards. Jalen Cone was more of a PG that looked to score instead of passing.

Agreed. Last year it was multiple "combi-guards" to choose from, this year there will be several PGs to choose from.
BeachedBear
calumnus said:

Johnfox said:

Agreed. Last year it was multiple "combi-guards" to choose from, this year there will be several PGs to choose from.
Lots of good discussion about what makes a good PG (this has been going on forever!). In the days of set plays, having a '1' that knew and operated the system was at a premium. Others look at statistics or skill sets (ball handling, FT %age, A/TO ratios). All of which are important - but also are a reflection of the system and talent on the floor (and the opponent). Heck at youth levels, the PG is still usually the shortest starter - hahaha.

For me, it has always been a combination of basketball IQ and court vision. Hard to articulate all the details of those two items, but I know it when I see it. Bottom line, we always want to have as many of those players on the floor at the same time as we can get. So, I'd be ecstatic starting 3 PGs, 1 slashing forward and 1 rim protector. ( as I type this, I imagine a starting line up of Kidd, Randle, Jorge, Lamond and Yogi - final 4 material!)

Last year, it seemed to me that Tyson was the only one who had the court vision consistently (helped by the fact, they he typically did not have a defender pressuring him the way a regular PG gets defended). Cone showed it at times, but was inconsistent. I never saw it with Askew, honestly. My initial reaction was that it was a product of Fox's rigid offensive system - but not sure.

SFCityBear
BeachedBear said:

calumnus said:

Johnfox said:

Lots of good discussion about what makes a good PG (this has been going on forever!). In the days of set plays, having a '1' that knew and operated the system was at a premium. Others look at statistics or skill sets (ball handling, FT %age, A/TO ratios). All of which are important - but also are a reflection of the system and talent on the floor (and the opponent). Heck at youth levels, the PG is still usually the shortest starter - hahaha.

For me, it has always been a combination of basketball IQ and court vision. Hard to articulate all the details of those two items, but I know it when I see it. Bottom line, we always want to have as many of those players on the floor at the same time as we can get. So, I'd be ecstatic starting 3 PGs, 1 slashing forward and 1 rim protector. ( as I type this, I imagine a starting line up of Kidd, Randle, Jorge, Lamond and Yogi - final 4 material!)

Last year, it seemed to me that Tyson was the only one who had the court vision consistently (helped by the fact, they he typically did not have a defender pressuring him the way a regular PG gets defended). Cone showed it at times, but was inconsistent. I never saw it with Askew, honestly. My initial reaction was that it was a product of Fox's rigid offensive system - but not sure.

These are all good posts with great points, for sure.

The only thing I'd try to add would be in response to your thought that PG was a combination of basketball IQ and court vision. What I'd add is an admirable human quality, the desire to try and be unselfish. To do something for others. In basketball, it is trying to help your teammates look better by being better. Outside of basketball, in non-sport human endeavors, it might be helping an old lady cross a busy street.

I once played on a team with Denny Lewis, a great high school point guard. At that time, Denny averaged about 28 points a game, and probably 8-10 assists, if they had kept assist stats. He told me, "If I'm not looking at you, you are probably going to get the ball from me, so be ready." He also said, "If I'm looking at you, you probably are not going to get the ball." Denny also took the time to work with me on my dribbling. In those days, palming or carrying the ball was a turnover, and was called 5 or 6 times a game. I have small hands, and had difficulty keeping my hand on top of the ball all the time when I bounced it, and too often looked at the ball while dribbling it, a no-no for effective dribbling and seeing the floor. So Denny worked with me to get more skilled at dribbling.

Johnny Garber was another great point guard I played with, and said the same thing. The first time I played with him in a scrimmage, I'm under the basket, all alone, and he is dribbling cross court, left to right, not looking at me at all, and wham! The pass hits me in the face, and nearly broke may nose. Maybe it did, because today my nose is broken, deviated sceptum, I'm told. So Johnny said the same thing to me, " If I'm not looking at you, you are going to get the ball. So be alert." Johnny later went to JC, and became the quarterback for the football team, won a championship, when he never had played football in his life before that.

It is not natural perhaps to become an unselfish person. Ministers, priests, rabbis, and coaches make a living teaching people to act less selfishly toward their fellow man, and I'd wager they are not often as successful at it as they would like to be.

Football and baseball are better team sports than basketball. I think there is more teamwork in both. In football, the best athlete on the team is usually the quarterback, and he is dishing the ball out to others to make the plays, and several other players have to make the blocks to make the play work. One defense, there is lots of teamwork as well, as defenders often have to take on blockers, to give the tackler a shot at making the tackle. In basketball, the best player might be a Wilt Chamberlain, a center, or Michael Jordan, a shooting guard, a Rick Barry a scorer, or Jason Kidd, a point guard. So anyone can lead a team on the floor.

In basketball, some players who focus on shooting, can practice all by themselves to improve. Players can practice dribbling alone. But if they want to practice rebounding or passing or defending, they must have another person or persons to practice with. I think today, our youth have a more selfish, or rather self-centered mindset. Kids today are spoiled from the get go, with parents more involved in kid's activities, including school and sports, than ever before. In basketball, kids' shooting and dribbling skills are more developed than ever before, while basketball IQ and court vision are less developed than at any time in my memory.

To sum it up, to your basketball IQ and court vision, I think I'll add changing the mindset of players to all be trying to make their teammates look better, be more successful. For me, Jason Kidd is still the model. And the model team would be the '59 or '60 Cal Bears, or the Celtics of Russell and Cousy. Maybe the recent Warriors championship teams.
Beardog26
Agree SFCB. To your final paragraph, I would add Magic Johnson's Lakers teams in the 1980s. He made a whole lot of guys look far better than they were …
01Bear
Beardog26 said:

Agree SFCB. To your final paragraph, I would add Magic Johnson's Lakers teams in the 1980s. He made a whole lot of guys look far better than they were …

Agreed! He made James Worthy and (now, finally!) Michael Cooper into Hall of Famers. I'd also add in Larry Bird, who made Robert Parish and Kevin McHale into Hall of Famers.
BeachedBear
SFCityBear said:

To sum it up, to your basketball IQ and court vision, I think I'll add changing the mindset of players to all be trying to make their teammates look better, be more successful. For me, Jason Kidd is still the model. And the model team would be the '59 or '60 Cal Bears, or the Celtics of Russell and Cousy. Maybe the recent Warriors championship teams.
That made me laugh. Excellent point (but I consider what you describe as part of Bball IQ).

Reminds me of some people that Ive met who were *******s, but successful in certain ways. Some folks would describe them as Intelligent with a high IQ. But I always responded that they can't be THAT smart if they are *******s. Hahahaha
concernedparent
SFCityBear said:

BeachedBear said:

calumnus said:

Johnfox said:

[...] baseball are better team sports than basketball. I think there is more teamwork in both.

Would love to hear the argument for this one...
calumnus
concernedparent said:

SFCityBear said:

BeachedBear said:

calumnus said:

Johnfox said:

[...] baseball are better team sports than basketball. I think there is more teamwork in both.

Would love to hear the argument for this one...

Yes, baseball is a discrete series of individual actions. One player at a time hits. One player at a time fields or throws or catches the throw. It is why a player can be assigned an error. Even a "sacrifice bunt or sacrifice fly" is usually called by the coach. Moreover it is rewarded in the statistics so it is not really a personal sacrifice. It is why advanced statistical study of sports "sabermetics" started with baseball and Bill James' Baseball Abstract.

Football is a team sport, but it is all orchestrated. The play is designed, with each player assigned a role. The OL is not sacrificing his own stats by blocking, blocking is his job. Maybe WR blocking or selling a decoy route? A RB picking up a blitz. Those are "unsung sacrifices" that help the team apart from their own stats. That is about it. Again, even that is just doing what the play calls for. There is a problem in sorting out individual performance: great WRs can make average QBs look great (and vice versa) l, great line can make an average RB look great (and vice versa) and a great OL can make an average QB look great while a weak DL can make even good DBs look bad. So yes, football is the most "team" sport, but it is like playing in an orchestra; you play the part your are assigned.

Of the big three US sports, basketball is the team sport that has tension between individual and team performance. Where the individual athlete has some (or a lot) of freedom to choose one or the other. Yes, some of that is dictated by the coach, but basketball play is largely improvised. There is tremendous synergies of players. It is like improvised jazz, the players play off each other, they create something together, maybe they let their star player shine, but that is all part of the gig. Players in basketball can have "chemistry" (a large part an intuitive knowledge of the unscripted actions the other players will take) but that is unnecessary in baseball and football (except the chemistry between a QB and the WRs) where mostly people just need to do their job. And yes, the key improviser is the PG. A good point guard makes everyone better and is the key to a basketball team being better than the sum of its parts.
SFCityBear
Beardog26 said:

Thinking some more about this, I think I might revise my post by replacing the Cal '59 and Cal '60 teams as my model with the USF teams of 1955 and 1956, which won two NCAA Championships and had a 60 game win streak. Cal's Pete Newell was probably a better coach, than the USF Dons' Phil Woolpert, and the style of play was similar (Defense and teamwork), but Woolpert's USF teams had NBA Hall of Famers, Bill Russell and KC Jones, who were the epitome of teamwork and unselfish play. And Mike Farmer, another solid NBA player. Both Newell and Woolpert were college teammates at Loyola.
calfanz
as far as team sports go...

Nothing competes with FB.

But Baseball is a bunch of guys playing an individual sport simultaneously.

Beautiful basketball is a a team sport, far surpassing Baseball.
SFCityBear
barsad said:

Wilkinson has great potential, but I'm tempering expectations until he proves himself on the court. It's really like that for every man on the roster, it will make non-conference play a little more exciting to watch as the guys compete for minutes.
We are still weakest at the 5-spot, and in general we have a size problem compared to the best ACC teams. Last year when Aimaq went down or had a bad game, there was no one behind him. This year will be the same story if Sissoko is all we have in the wide-body department. Dort and Curtis don't seem like viable backups, but I hope I'm wrong about that.
Good points all. Dort was highly ranked, but played little at Vandy. Had some serious off-court trouble. You can't have enough big men.
SFCityBear
Beardog26 said:

Good point. I'd also add several of John Wooden's UCLA teams, their offenses in particular.
SFCityBear
calfanz said:

Aren't you overlooking something here?

Like maybe, the other side of the game in team sports, the least glamorous side - - the defense?

Not all teamwork occurs on offense.

Baseball has only a few plays on offense which utilize either the cooperation of two or more players, like the hit and run play or the squeeze plays. Baserunning perhaps. The Giants pulled off a rare double steal the other day.

But on defense, rarely does a play occur with less than two players cooperating to achieve an out, the usual goal of the defense or every play. The usual out in baseball requires at least two players participating, in coordination with each other to record an out. That would be the pitcher and the catcher, who work very closely to try and get each batter to make an out. First, the catcher will think of a type of pitch (this might be signaled to the catcher by the manager or a coach), and he will by a sign inform the pitcher of the type of pitch. The pitcher then decides whether he wants to throw that pitch or a different one, and he will signal the catcher of his intention. Together they decide which pitch to throw. Then the catcher will place his glove to set a target for the pitcher to throw the pitch. After the pitcher throws the pitch, the catcher will move his glove to catch the ball. If the pitch is outside the strike zone, the catcher will try and frame the pitch, that is move his glove and the ball inside the strike zone, hopefully to get the umpire to call the pitch a strike. Three of those strikes will result in an out. Most outs in baseball require those two players working together to make it happen.

If the batter hits a ball which is caught in the air by a fielder, the batter makes an out, and 3 defensive players have worked together to make it happen. If the batter hits a ground ball to a fielder, and the fielder throws the ball to a teammate covering a base, the batter is out. The rules state that one player, the fielder who steps on the base, is given credit for the out. The fielder who threw the ball gets an assist. But 4 players worked together and contributed to that out.

Those are some simple plays. Did you know that there are 17 types of double plays? The most complicated play is perhaps the triple play, and there are a few kinds of them. Double and triple plays can be unassisted, if you don't count the pitcher or catcher who might have contributed. But all baseball teams practice their defensive plays endlessly, so they can do them in their sleep (hopefully). The Giants blew a play against the Dodgers the other night. A fly ball was hit in between Ramos and Yastrzemski, two very good outfielders. They both ran full speed toward the ball, each one yelling "I've got it", and at the last second they both backed off and the ball fell between them. They looked like a MInor League team. They hadn't played much together, so maybe they did not know each other well enough to know which one could or should catch that ball. They need much more practice together. Baseball players practice these plays together endlessly to perfect them.

So don't try and tell us that baseball is not a team sport. It is just that nearly all the plays are defensive ones, but they are players acting unselfishly, putting team objectives ahead of their own objectives, and working together to make that happen.

As for "beautiful basketball", what were you trying to say? Of course, basketball is beautiful, when it is played well, of course. I don't expect you called Cal basketball beautiful in the Jones/Fox years. I sure didn't. I think beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have to go back to some of Monty's years to think of some beautiful games or plays, or our last PAC10 Championship, which was beautiful. For me at least.

Much of the playmaking in basketball is on the defensive side, with "Help Defense". In the 1930s-1940s, there was no help on defense. The basketball rules all favored the defense. There were few fouls called. Aggressiveness may have been the most desirable quality in a recruit. The rules began to change and by the '70s, offense and fast breaks began to rule. Modern basketball is played with fewer rules than ever, and modern players are not held in check as well as before. "They walk with it, they palm it, and they charge" For us old timers, it is the game without rules

Coaches, however, are not stupid. They began to devise a new way of playing defense, to counteract the rule changes. They came up with help defense, which is very frustrating for me to watch, but is very effective against the new rules, and frustrates offenses no doubt.
BearlyCareAnymore
SFCityBear said:

calfanz said:

Like maybe, the other side of the game in team sports, the least glamorous side - - the defense?

Baseball has only a few plays on offense which utilize either the cooperation of two or more players, like the hit and run play or the squeeze plays. Baserunning perhaps. The Giants pulled off a rare double steal the other day.

But on defense, rarely does a play occur with less than two players cooperating to achieve an out, the usual goal of the defense or every play. The usual out in baseball requires at least two players participating, in coordination with each other to record an out. That would be the pitcher and the catcher, who work very closely to try and get each batter to make an out. First, the catcher will think of a type of pitch (this might be signaled to the catcher by the manager or a coach), and he will by a sign inform the pitcher of the type of pitch. The pitcher then decides whether he wants to throw that pitch or a different one, and he will signal the catcher of his intention. Together they decide which pitch to throw. Then the catcher will place his glove to set a target for the pitcher to throw the pitch. After the pitcher throws the pitch, the catcher will move his glove to catch the ball. If the pitch is outside the strike zone, the catcher will try and frame the pitch, that is move his glove and the ball inside the strike zone, hopefully to get the umpire to call the pitch a strike. Three of those strikes will result in an out. Most outs in baseball require those two players working together to make it happen.

If the batter hits a ball which is caught in the air by a fielder, the batter makes an out, and 3 defensive players have worked together to make it happen. If the batter hits a ground ball to a fielder, and the fielder throws the ball to a teammate covering a base, the batter is out. The rules state that one player, the fielder who steps on the base, is given credit for the out. The fielder who threw the ball gets an assist. But 4 players worked together and contributed to that out.

Those are some simple plays. Did you know that there are 17 types of double plays? The most complicated play is perhaps the triple play, and there are a few kinds of them. Double and triple plays can be unassisted, if you don't count the pitcher or catcher who might have contributed. But all baseball teams practice their defensive plays endlessly, so they can do them in their sleep (hopefully). The Giants blew a play against the Dodgers the other night. A fly ball was hit in between Ramos and Yastrzemski, two very good outfielders. They both ran full speed toward the ball, each one yelling "I've got it", and at the last second they both backed off and the ball fell between them. They looked like a MInor League team. They hadn't played much together, so maybe they did not know each other well enough to know which one could or should catch that ball. They need much more practice together. Baseball players practice these plays together endlessly to perfect them.

So don't try and tell us that baseball is not a team sport. It is just that nearly all the plays are defensive ones, but they are players acting unselfishly, putting team objectives ahead of their own objectives, and working together to make that happen.

As for "beautiful basketball", what were you trying to say? Of course, basketball is beautiful, when it is played well, of course. I don't expect you called Cal basketball beautiful in the Jones/Fox years. I sure didn't. I think beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have to go back to some of Monty's years to think of some beautiful games or plays, or our last PAC10 Championship, which was beautiful. For me at least.

Much of the playmaking in basketball is on the defensive side, with "Help Defense". In the 1930s-1940s, there was no help on defense. The basketball rules all favored the defense. There were few fouls called. Aggressiveness may have been the most desirable quality in a recruit. The rules began to change and by the '70s, offense and fast breaks began to rule. Modern basketball is played with fewer rules than ever, and modern players are not held in check as well as before. "They walk with it, they palm it, and they charge" For us old timers, it is the game without rules

Coaches, however, are not stupid. They began to devise a new way of playing defense, to counteract the rule changes. They came up with help defense, which is very frustrating for me to watch, but is very effective against the new rules, and frustrates offenses no doubt.

I think you make very good points about baseball, but I would offer this difference. If you ever coach kids - and I think this holds true through high school at least, getting that teamwork down is incredibly difficult. It is beautiful when they do it right. It is most definitely a team sport on defense. That said, at the professional level, for the most part, everyone should know every job they have and everything they are supposed to do in every circumstance. You should be able to walk on a field with 8 other professionals who you have never played with and know exactly what you need to do. The teamwork is based on shared knowledge, not improvisation. You can flow chart what every position is supposed to do in 99% of the situations. So I get why someone would describe baseball that way. You just can't do that with basketball.

One exception that you speak eloquently about, though, is the pitcher and the catcher. I don't think people fully appreciate the amount of teamwork that goes on there at every level and how much the whole can be far greater than the sum of the parts.
bearsandgiants
BearlyCareAnymore said:

SFCityBear said:

calfanz said:

I think you make very good points about baseball, but I would offer this difference. If you ever coach kids - and I think this holds true through high school at least, getting that teamwork down is incredibly difficult. It is beautiful when they do it right. It is most definitely a team sport on defense. That said, at the professional level, for the most part, everyone should know every job they have and everything they are supposed to do in every circumstance. You should be able to walk on a field with 8 other professionals who you have never played with and know exactly what you need to do. The teamwork is based on shared knowledge, not improvisation. You can flow chart what every position is supposed to do in 99% of the situations. So I get why someone would describe baseball that way. You just can't do that with basketball.

One exception that you speak eloquently about, though, is the pitcher and the catcher. I don't think people fully appreciate the amount of teamwork that goes on there at every level and how much the whole can be far greater than the sum of the parts.

Battery relationship is critical in baseball,totally agree. If a pitcher trusts a catcher, that's where the magic happens. A pitcher can essentially call his own game, but the opposite leads to better results. A strong catcher who knows a pitcher's limitations (or learns about them) can essentially pair with anyone and find success. All the pitcher has to do is hit the target and agree with the pitch selection. Catchers are the heart of the team. It's why they make great managers. Great pitchers make great pitching coaches.
BC Calfan
UHHHH...

WILKINSON CAN GET UPPPPP. JEEZ.

Econ141
Just came to post that clip here to see who it was. The roster has turned over so much I would not. E able to recognize anyone.

Wow! That is our freshman!!! Awesome.
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.