2025 Recruit: Isiah Harwell

5,600 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by calumnus
brevity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Joe Tipton of On3 has a recruiting update on 6-5 shooting guard Isiah Harwell, presently ranked #7 in their 2025 class rankings, and considered a 5-star prospect by all the services (On3, ESPN, 247 Sports, Rivals). He's narrowed his choice to 4 schools: Cal, Gonzaga, Houston, and Texas.

Tipton's accompanying article says that Harwell will visit Cal later this month, and plans to announce his commitment on September 12.

Quote:

Out of his finalists, Harwell has taken an official visit to Gonzaga and an unofficial visit to Houston. He has also scheduled an official visit to Cal for June 25-26th.

Previously down to nine schools, the Five-Star Plus+ rising senior will no longer consider North Carolina, Baylor, UCLA, Alabama, and Idaho State...

In a previous interview with On3, Harwell broke down California, Gonzaga, Houston, and Texas.

CAL: "Coach Amarrow Morgan grew up with my dad. So he has been a really close family friend for a while. I've been talking with Coach Mark (Madsen). You know, Jaylen Brown went out there and had a lot of success, so it is an underrated school. It is always good if you can go somewhere, produce massive minutes, and change things around. They're starting to play well these last few games."

If you're wondering, Idaho State was his father's alma mater. Ron Harwell was there from 1993 to 1997.
barsad
Wow, talk about a get. Even if we don't get him (I'd put the chances at 10%), this says a lot about Cal's standing in the recruitment world. Set aside the personal family connection (which is why we made the Final Four list), any 5-star player could say the same about Cal: Jaylen Brown heritage, plus Madsen as the new Yoda of NBA pathways. 2025 could be a great year!
Pittstop
barsad said:

Wow, talk about a get. Even if we don't get him (I'd put the chances at 10%), this says a lot about Cal's standing in the recruitment world. Set aside the personal family connection (which is why we made the Final Four list), any 5-star player could say the same about Cal: Jaylen Brown heritage, plus Madsen as the new Yoda of NBA pathways. 2025 could be a great year!

On3's current predictions for his commitment are 32% Gonzaga, 28% Cal (and he hasnt even had his Cal OV yet), 7.1% Houston, then several others with various negligible predictions to land him.
Johnfox
10%? If OV goes well, we got him. If it doesn't, he's headed to Gonzaga. Madsen will make sure he'll enjoy his experience
sonofabear51
Things are changing rapidly since Fox is gone, and in a great way!

GO BEARS!!
Start Slowly and taper off
calumnus
sonofabear51 said:

GO BEARS!!

Ridiculous that people on this board trashed Cal to defend Fox's poor recruiting due to his malignant personality and coaching style.

With a good, positive-minded, modern coach, Cal recruits well.
BearGreg
Staff
calumnus said:

sonofabear51 said:

GO BEARS!!

Ridiculous that people on this board trashed Cal to defend Fox's poor recruiting due to his malignant personality and coaching style.

This - 100%
oski003
BearGreg said:

calumnus said:

sonofabear51 said:

GO BEARS!!

This - 100%

Despite Cal's administration and taking over for a coach who went 3-29 , Madsen went 13-19 and is in the top 4 for a 5 star recruit. NIL is a big factor.
01Bear
calumnus said:

sonofabear51 said:

GO BEARS!!

Amen! Cal was attractive to 5 star recruits Jaylen Brown and Ivan Rabb (not to mention future NBA players Jabari Bird and Tyrone Wallace in the years immediately before) in the mid 2010s. If Fox couldn't figure out how to attract talented players, that's on him, not in Cal. Defending Fox by claiming Cal was holding back his recruiting was ludicrous. If anything, Fox was holding back Cal's recruiting!
BC Calfan
Fox is everything Madsen isn't. I struggle to find one common trait.
stu
Bipedal?
HearstMining
oski003 said:

BearGreg said:

calumnus said:

sonofabear51 said:

GO BEARS!!

This - 100%

Despite Cal's administration and taking over for a coach who went 3-29 , Madsen went 13-19 and is in the top 4 for a 5 star recruit. NIL is a big factor.
Agreed - but let's be clear that even if Fox had the NIL funds at Cal his last couple of seasons, it wouldn't have made a difference because he ran such a lousy, putrid, stinking offense and was such a miserable personality. No player with decent talent and aspirations of a pro career would elect to play for him if hey had any other alternative.
calumnus
HearstMining said:

oski003 said:

BearGreg said:

calumnus said:

sonofabear51 said:

GO BEARS!!

This - 100%

Agreed - but let's be clear that even if Fox had the NIL funds at Cal his last couple of seasons, it wouldn't have made a difference because he ran such a lousy, putrid, stinking offense and was such a miserable personality. No player with decent talent and aspirations of a pro career would elect to play for him if hey had any other alternative.

And this was widely known when Knowlton hired him and when Knowlton extended him. Year after year we would lose our best player(s) to transfer with some on this board defending Fox or instead blaming his predecessors (or "injuries") while he walked away with $2 million more of our money until we had the lowest scoring team in the country with the worst record in the country (out of hundreds of schools) and worst record in our history… just in time for conference realignment.
barsad
Johnfox said:

10%? If OV goes well, we got him. If it doesn't, he's headed to Gonzaga. Madsen will make sure he'll enjoy his experience

I said 10% just based on a player's desire to immediately get tournament visibility. Other than the NBA, that's a player's dream, right? Final Four and nationally televised games? But maybe some players value other things, so I'm happy to believe On3's more optimistic odds.
I don't see Cal as a tournament team in 2024-25, and until we make an appearance (2026?) it will be hard to break into 5-star territory very often.
6956bear
BC Calfan said:

Fox is everything Madsen isn't. I struggle to find one common trait.

Well they do share the same first name.
philbert
HearstMining said:

oski003 said:

BearGreg said:

calumnus said:

sonofabear51 said:

GO BEARS!!

This - 100%

I recall one of the bigger donors said they asked Fox if he needed help with NIL and he said, "Nope." I think that's all we need to know if more NIL dollars would have helped Fox's recruiting as he clearly had no clue how to use NIL in his pitch. (I don't remember who posted that, though).
calumnus
philbert said:

HearstMining said:

oski003 said:

BearGreg said:

calumnus said:

sonofabear51 said:

GO BEARS!!

This - 100%

I recall one of the bigger donors said they asked Fox if he needed help with NIL and he said, "Nope." I think that's all we need to know if more NIL dollars would have helped Fox's recruiting as he clearly had no clue how to use NIL in his pitch. (I don't remember who posted that, though).

Mark Fox was a longtime HC at Georgia where their "bagmen" didn't quit just because Mark Fox sanctimoniously claimed he did things "the right way" and was quick to point the finger at everyone else for "ruining the game I love." Most saw it for hypocritical BS while one or two SEC MVPs and future NBA star players were delivered to him by Georgia boosters m, which Fox then used to almost make it to .500.

After Cal Fox went to Georgetown to head up their NIL efforts. So think about his refusing NIL help at Cal?

When Fox was fired he got a $4 million payout for the two years remaining on his contract, so combined with the $2 million he made that year he made $2 million for each of his 3 wins.

barsad
Can someone point me to the Fox-free zone in the forums?
bearmanpg
barsad said:

Can someone point me to the Fox-free zone in the forums?

MFer has already damaged this board enough...
HoopDreams
ESPN writes his 4 are:

Houston, California, Kansas and Texas.

Guess he dropped Zags and added Kansas
bearsandgiants
Putting a dream team together. This would be incredible.
dimitrig

How did his visit go?

Quote from July 16th:

"It's going to come down to a feeling," Harwell said. "With me, it's about chemistry, what they do for their players, and what they can do for me."

"The coaches in my final four are all good coaches with good programs. At this point, it's hard to choose one school over another."

I can't read the rest because it is behind a paywall, but supposedly he talks about each of the schools.

https://247sports.com/college/houston/article/five-star-shooting-guard-isiah-harwell-sets-commitment-date-breaks-down-final-four-schools-texas-houston-cal-gonzaga-233884803/

calumnus
HoopDreams said:

ESPN writes his 4 are:

One of these 4 is not like the others. I hope that makes us stand out.
01Bear
calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

ESPN writes his 4 are:

Agreed. But TBF, Texas is considered a good academic school in the midwest. It's absolutely nowhere near Cal in terms of international reputation, but (at least in the Midwest), it's thought of highly.
calumnus
01Bear said:

calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

ESPN writes his 4 are:

Agreed. But TBF, Texas is considered a good academic school in the midwest. It's absolutely nowhere near Cal in terms of international reputation, but (at least in the Midwest), it's thought of highly.

Actually, I was thinking 3 schools are in the Big 12 and 1 is in the ACC, but I forgot Texas is now in the SEC, so I'll stick with 1 is on the West Coast and 3 are not.
dimitrig
calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

ESPN writes his 4 are:

To me that one school is Houston...

calumnus
dimitrig said:

calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

ESPN writes his 4 are:

To me that one school is Houston...

Basketball wise, yes.

2024 Ken Pom
1. Houston #2
2. Texas #25
3. Kansas #27
4. Cal #121

Though we stand out in the "be part of putting us back on the map" vs "fight for PT and help try to win a National Championship."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.