Spencer Mahoney takes final scholarship

5,575 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by hoopsallday
BearGreg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
The 6'9 forward redshirted at Washington State and has four years of eligibility

Gkhoury2325
Welcome Spencer Mahoney. Very nice add to the Cal MBB. He has a nice shot from long ranger. I love the pickup. Coach Madsen and Staff have a top 10 transfer portal class. Long body at 6'9" that can shoot. He red shirted last year at WSU. I love the Cal class this year. I cannot believe they turned over a roster to have this much depth after Fox's firing. Thank you Coach Madsen, his staff deserved thanks along with the the all donors, alumni and supporters, many of whom come from the BI site. Go Bears!
brevity
Not much Spencer Mahoney footage out there, but here are two YouTube videos, one from Washington State practices last year, and the other from when he played prep ball for Red Rock Academy. (I posted the first video in another thread, back when Mahoney had a Cal offer.)

Andrew Parrish has already updated his 2024-2025 Scholarship Tracker (which covers all of Division I) by adding Mahoney. I'm improving upon his Cal entry by adding more information about each scholarship player below, like his height, his position, and where he played last season. Click the player's name for his Basketball Reference college stats.

Last year of eligibility
Jovan Blacksher Jr, 5-11 guard (transfer from Grand Canyon)
Mady Sissoko, 6-9 center (transfer from Michigan State)
Christian Tucker, 6-3 guard (transfer from UTSA)

2 years of eligibility
DJ Campbell, 6-2 guard (transfer from Western Carolina)
Joshua Ola-Joseph, 6-7 forward (transfer from Minnesota)
BJ Omot, 6-8 forward (transfer from North Dakota)
Rytis Petraitis, 6-7 forward (transfer from Air Force)

3 years of eligibility
Devin Curtis, 6-11 forward (returning reserve, 5.4 minutes per game)
Lee Dort, 6-10 forward (transfer from Vanderbilt)
Vladimir Pavlovic, 6-3 guard (returning reserve, 6.1 mpg)
Andrej Stojakovic, 6-7 guard (transfer from Stanford)

4 years of eligibility
Spencer Mahoney, 6-9 forward (transfer from Washington State; redshirted last year)
Jeremiah Wilkinson, 6-1 guard (high school)

Parrish doesn't include non-scholarship players, and to be honest, I don't know enough about them either. The official roster currently lists these players, and I'm adding preferred walk-on Stephon Marbury II.

Kevin Armstrong II, 6-6 guard
Matt Desler, 6-1 guard
Jayden Karapetian, 6-2 guard
Stephon Marbury II, 6-3 guard
Jack McCloskey, 6-6 guard
Hugh Vandeweghe, 6-7 forward
smokeyrover
fwiw, a scouting report upon joining WSU
https://www.cougcenter.com/2023/7/13/23794249/washington-state-basketball-recruit-spencer-mahoney-scouting-report

Civil Bear
brevity said:

Not much Spencer Mahoney footage out there, but here are two YouTube videos, one from Washington State practices last year, and the other from when he played prep ball for Red Rock Academy. (I posted the first video in another thread, back when Mahoney had a Cal offer.)

Andrew Parrish has already updated his 2024-2025 Scholarship Tracker (which covers all of Division I) by adding Mahoney. I'm improving upon his Cal entry by adding more information about each scholarship player below, like his height, his position, and where he played last season. Click the player's name for his Basketball Reference college stats.

Last year of eligibility

2 years of eligibility

3 years of eligibility

4 years of eligibility
Spencer Mahoney, 6-9 forward (transfer from Washington State; redshirted last year)

Parrish doesn't include non-scholarship players, and to be honest, I don't know enough about them either. The official roster currently lists these players, and I'm adding preferred walk-on Stephon Marbury II.

Matt Desler, 6-1 guard
Thanks for this. I would guess that Pavlovic got a medical redshirt for last year.
calbearinamaze
brevity said:

Thanks!

That is a great database.

GO BEARS!!!
If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band
stu
smokeyrover said:

fwiw, a scouting report upon joining WSU
https://www.cougcenter.com/2023/7/13/23794249/washington-state-basketball-recruit-spencer-mahoney-scouting-report
Thanks for that. IMHO Kyle Smith is great at finding hidden gems so I like Mahoney already.
calfanz
Ok, fantastic pickup for 13th spot.

Who wants to put together a depth chart.
calfanz
calfanz said:

Here's my starting lineup guess:

Sissoko
Rytis Petraitis
Andrej Stojakovic
Christian Tucker
D.J. Campbell

concernedparent
calfanz said:

calfanz said:

Sissoko
Rytis Petraitis
Andrej Stojakovic
Christian Tucker
D.J. Campbell

I think Omot or Ola-Joseph starts over Campbell. That lineup is too small.
wifeisafurd
brevity said:

Last year of eligibility

2 years of eligibility

3 years of eligibility

4 years of eligibility

Matt Desler, 6-1 guard
Don't sleep on Vandeweghe. Also a star volleyball player who can elevate with a quick jump and pretty good from beyond the arc. Different style than his uncle Kiki. Needs some development time as he was a serious volleyball player. Good genes.
brevity
wifeisafurd said:

Don't sleep on Vandeweghe. Also a star volleyball player who can elevate with a quick jump and pretty good from beyond the arc. Different style than his uncle Kiki. Needs some development time as he was a serious volleyball player. Good genes.
It would be interesting to see how Cal's 6-7, 215-pound forward Hugh Vandeweghe, also a volleyball player, matches up on a basketball court against Stanford's 6-7, 215-pound forward Cole Kastner, who transferred from Virginia... lacrosse. I doubt that one-on-one matchup would actually happen, though, given the nature of the rivalry.
GoCal80
brevity said:

wifeisafurd said:

It would be interesting to see how Cal's 6-7, 215-pound forward Hugh Vandeweghe, also a volleyball player, matches up on a basketball court against Stanford's 6-7, 215-pound forward Cole Kastner, who transferred from Virginia... lacrosse. I doubt that one-on-one matchup would actually happen, though, given the nature of the rivalry.
"Hugh's uncle, Kiki Vandeweghe, was a two-time NBA All-Star (1983-84) & amassed 15,980 career points in 14 NBA seasons with Denver, Portland, New York & Los Angeles Clippers" His mother was an Olympic swimmer. Quite an athletic family!
calumnus
concernedparent said:

calfanz said:

calfanz said:

Sissoko
Rytis Petraitis
Andrej Stojakovic
Christian Tucker
D.J. Campbell

It will be interesting to see how Madsen utilizes this roster. He is a good recruiter and has assembled more interesting pieces this year and with that the potential to be greater than the sum of the parts. Will be a good test of his/his staff's strategic acumen.
Big C
calumnus said:

concernedparent said:

calfanz said:

calfanz said:

Sissoko
Rytis Petraitis
Andrej Stojakovic
Christian Tucker
D.J. Campbell

It will be interesting to see how Madsen utilizes this roster. He is a good recruiter and has assembled more interesting pieces this year and with that the potential to be greater than the sum of the parts. Will be a good test of his/his staff's strategic acumen.

Absolutely. And adding on to that, Madsen had the experience last season of... a) the team getting off to a slow start and... b) having some rifts / personal agendas on the roster, so he and his staff have surely been trying to get this figured out for almost a year now. In other words, it's not like this challenge is going to take him by surprise.
BearGreg
Staff
brevity said:

wifeisafurd said:

Cole's a family friend and a die hard Cal fan. Stanford grad school admitted him early and Cal's grad application process takes longer thus his commitment to Stanford. He's a great athlete and will have a good chance to earn minutes for the Cardinal.
HoopDreams
GoCal80 said:

brevity said:

wifeisafurd said:

"Hugh's uncle, Kiki Vandeweghe, was a two-time NBA All-Star (1983-84) & amassed 15,980 career points in 14 NBA seasons with Denver, Portland, New York & Los Angeles Clippers" His mother was an Olympic swimmer. Quite an athletic family!
the quality of our walk-ons under Madsen has gone way up
01Bear
BearGreg said:

brevity said:

wifeisafurd said:

Cole's a family friend and a die hard Cal fan. Stanford grad school admitted him early and Cal's grad application process takes longer thus his commitment to Stanford. He's a great athlete and will have a good chance to earn minutes for the Cardinal.

If Cal's grad program admits him before he enrolls at the Furd, would he opt to attend Cal and play for Madsen as a walk-on?
91Cal
GoCal80 said:

brevity said:

wifeisafurd said:

Grandson of Ernie (NBA)? Grandmother/Ernie's wife was Miss America 1952. Mother or aunt is Heather (WNT water polo)? Mother or aunt is Tauna (1976 Olympic swimmer)? Uncle or father Bruk (MNT volleyball)? Brother or cousin of Coco Vandeweghe (pro tennis)? Nephew of Mel Hutchins (also NBA)? Cousin or sister of Honnie (USC water polo)?

Insanely athletic family!
BearGreg
Staff
01Bear said:

BearGreg said:

brevity said:

wifeisafurd said:

If Cal's grad program admits him before he enrolls at the Furd, would he opt to attend Cal and play for Madsen as a walk-on?
I believe that train has left the station. At this point, Cole sees a far easier path to minutes at Stanford than he does at Cal.
01Bear
BearGreg said:

01Bear said:

BearGreg said:

brevity said:

wifeisafurd said:

I believe that train has left the station. At this point, Cole sees a far easier path to minutes at Stanford than he does at Cal.

That's a shame. Oh well, I hope he enjoys his time on the Farm.
dimitrig
brevity said:

Last year of eligibility

2 years of eligibility

3 years of eligibility

4 years of eligibility

Matt Desler, 6-1 guard

We have Peja's kid, Kiki Vandeweghe's nephew, Stephon Marbury's kid, and formerly Julius Erving's kid...

I am sensing a trend.

stu
Curtis and Pavlovic may have 4 years due to blueshirting last season.
WalterSobchak
stu said:

Curtis and Pavlovic may have 4 years due to blueshirting last season.
I thought that too but apparently not:

Quote:

Back in 2018, the NCAA changed the college football redshirt rule by allowing players to participate in as many as four games before it counts towards a year of eligibility. That's one-third of a year in football, with 12 games in a regular season.

In basketball, that's not the case. If a player appears in a single game in a given season, which typically spans somewhere between 30 and 32 games prior to the NCAA Tournament, he burns a year of eligibility. The only way it can be avoided is if the player is granted a medical redshirt for an injury.

How does that make sense? It doesn't and that's what Dixon is arguing.
https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2024/01/26/jamie-dixon-basketball-redshirt-rule-is-hurting-kids-careers/

Curtis' Cal bio says he appeared in 16 games and "intended to redshirt before being activated following an injury to fellow big man ND Okafor."

Pavlovic's bio isn't as clear but states he appeared in 7 games. I'm not sure if he got hurt and has a claim to a medical waiver.
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/calegendsdonate/donate-football/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 10% of alumni to give $300 per year. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear

Thanks for reading my sig! Please consider copying or adapting it and using it on all of your posts too. Go Bears!
Eastern Oregon Bear
dimitrig said:

brevity said:

Last year of eligibility

2 years of eligibility

3 years of eligibility

4 years of eligibility

Matt Desler, 6-1 guard

We have Peja's kid, Kiki Vandeweghe's nephew, Stephon Marbury's kid, and formerly Julius Erving's kid...

I am sensing a trend.

We're doing a study to determine just how far the apple falls from the tree.
calumnus
dimitrig said:

brevity said:

Last year of eligibility

2 years of eligibility

3 years of eligibility

4 years of eligibility

Matt Desler, 6-1 guard

I am sensing a trend.

We also had Steve Kerr's kid, Sean Rook's kidā€¦.

It was a trend that was disrupted by the hiring of Mark Fox, otherwise we also might have gotten Shareef's kid.
rkt88edmo
dimitrig said:

I am sensing a trend.

Huge piece is the trust players have in a coach who has spent time in the league and knows what it takes, as well as recognizing someone with the drive and ability to coach kids to reach that next level.
Econ141
calumnus said:

dimitrig said:

brevity said:

Last year of eligibility

2 years of eligibility

3 years of eligibility

4 years of eligibility

Matt Desler, 6-1 guard

I am sensing a trend.

We also had Steve Kerr's kid, Sean Rook's kidā€¦.

It was a trend that was disrupted by the hiring of Mark Fox, otherwise we also might have gotten Shareef's kid.

Sons of Jamaal Wilkes too
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
HoopDreams
And Bitd and Sampson and Thorp and
hoopsallday
Spencer Mahoney looks great! Is he a stretch 4? Jumper looks like butter. I have following the new guys on IG, the Minnesota guy Kevin Armstrong II looks great, too. https://instagr.am/p/C9GyvneOUHx I believe that he is guard/wing. The team looks loaded with a few two sport athletes, too.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.