How Stanfraud came to be ( Long) probably off topic but interesting

1,415 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by bearsandgiants
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A couple, the woman in modest attire and her husband in a simple suit, arrived unannounced at Harvard University's principal office after disembarking from a train at Boston Station. The receptionist, judging them hastily, initially dismissed their purpose.
"We would like to meet with the principal," the man requested quietly.
"He's occupied all day," the secretary curtly replied.
"We'll wait," the woman asserted.
Hours passed with the couple patiently seated, prompting the secretary to reluctantly inform the director of their persistence.
"Perhaps if you meet with them briefly, they'll leave on their own," she suggested.
Grudgingly, the director acquiesced. Upon their entrance, he scrutinized them with a stern gaze. The woman spoke softly:
"Our son studied here and cherished this place. Sadly, he passed away unexpectedly a year ago. We wish to establish a memorial in his honor."
The director, visibly annoyed, retorted, "We can't erect memorials for every student who dies. It would turn this place into a cemetery."
"No, not a memorial or statue," the woman interjected hastily. "We wish to build a new building for Harvard."
The director scoffed, noting their modest attire, "Do you have any idea how much that would cost? Our buildings are valued at over seven million dollars."
The woman paused briefly before calmly saying to her husband, "Is building a university that inexpensive? Perhaps we should start our own."
With a nod of agreement, they left without further discussion. The director was left bewildered as the couple departed.
In Palo Alto, California, they indeed founded a university in memory of their son Stanford University.
Go Bears!
smh
thanks OD, but is that a true story? signed, clueless in cupertino
muting more than 300 handles, turnaround is fair play
southseasbear
Probably false. Stanford disputes and discredits this narrative.
calumnus
Definitely false. Leland Stanford was a railroad tycoon, one of the richest men in the world with wineries and racehorses, a former governor of California and definitely dressed the part. Moreover his son died at age 15. He did not attend Harvard.

The story I remember was ex-Governor Stanford wanted to be a UC Regent, but the then Governor snubbed him so he decided to build his own university. Originally he was going to build the campus on his land in what is now southern Fremont, but then he traded for the Palo Alto land because it had better railroad access from San Francisco.
Dave75
Stanford was also a former California governor and a sitting U.S. Senator. He would not have been shunned at Harvard.
Big C
Dave75 said:

Stanford was also a former California governor and a sitting U.S. Senator. He would not have been shunned at Harvard.

I don't know... if I had been that guy at Harvard, I woulda shunned his azz, his wife's... and their stupid band!
stu
Big C said:

Dave75 said:

I don't know... if I had been that guy at Harvard, I woulda shunned his azz, his wife's... and their stupid band!
This may be heresy but I love their band. And our straw hat band. No grownups involved.
Big C
stu said:

Big C said:

Dave75 said:

This may be heresy but I love their band. And our straw hat band. No grownups involved.

Yes, I think you're guilty of heresy.

This may be heresy but I sort of liked their band when they used to sound pretty good, decades ago. Also, the concept of an "anti-marching band" was a little fresher.
01Bear
oskidunker said:

A couple, the woman in modest attire and her husband in a simple suit, arrived unannounced at Harvard University's principal office after disembarking from a train at Boston Station. The receptionist, judging them hastily, initially dismissed their purpose.
"We would like to meet with the principal," the man requested quietly.
"He's occupied all day," the secretary curtly replied.
"We'll wait," the woman asserted.
Hours passed with the couple patiently seated, prompting the secretary to reluctantly inform the director of their persistence.
"Perhaps if you meet with them briefly, they'll leave on their own," she suggested.
Grudgingly, the director acquiesced. Upon their entrance, he scrutinized them with a stern gaze. The woman spoke softly:
"Our son studied here and cherished this place. Sadly, he passed away unexpectedly a year ago. We wish to establish a memorial in his honor."
The director, visibly annoyed, retorted, "We can't erect memorials for every student who dies. It would turn this place into a cemetery."
"No, not a memorial or statue," the woman interjected hastily. "We wish to build a new building for Harvard."
The director scoffed, noting their modest attire, "Do you have any idea how much that would cost? Our buildings are valued at over seven million dollars."
The woman paused briefly before calmly saying to her husband, "Is building a university that inexpensive? Perhaps we should start our own."
With a nod of agreement, they left without further discussion. The director was left bewildered as the couple departed.
In Palo Alto, California, they indeed founded a university in memory of their son Stanford University.

This story is as fraudulent as Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos. It definitely fits with the Furd.
bluehenbear
It's an alternative fact.
oskidunker
bluehenbear said:

It's an alternative fact.

Too bad
Go Bears!
bearsandgiants
Stop this insanity!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.