VanOVER

3,713 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by oskidunker
Econ141
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
oski003
Econ141 said:

Not a bear.
Eastern Oregon Bear
When I was his age, I also didn't want to grow up
Econ141
Once a Bear, always a bear....or whatever transfers say when they peace out.
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
SBGold
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

He left Cal and seems lost and misdirected ever since, sad story
Big C

^ Agree. He made great strides in his year at Cal (supposedly could barely make it up and down court for more than a few minutes when they first started practice). But that February/March was about his zenith as a player... unusual for a 7-3 guy to not continue to develop as they grow into their bodies. Maybe Musselman "broke" him, at Arkansas.
calbear80
Can someone give a correct list of his moving around, Was it?
. Growing up in Arkansas?
. A basketball focused high school in Las Vegas?
. One year at Cal (Under Jones?)?
Two years at Arkansas?
. One year at Oral University?
. Any pros of aby kind/ country?
. Any injuries that may have led to ending his playing?

Go Bears!
evanluck
Seems so strange. Maybe an indication of how basketball has changed but usually when someone was 7'+ with even a minimal amount of coordination, you were guaranteed at least a career as an NBA benchwarmer / journeyman. He even has an outside shot.

That being said, if he doesn't love playing basketball, then it is understandable to try other things.
evanluck
calbear80 said:

Can someone give a correct list of his moving around, Was it?
. Growing up in Arkansas?
. A basketball focused high school in Las Vegas?
. One year at Cat (Under Jones?)?
Two years at Arkansas?
. One year at Oral University?
. Any pros of aby kind/ country?
. Any injuries that may have led to ending his playing?

Go Bears!
He played last year at Missouri as a grad transfer
concernedparent

If he can make it work, more power to him. Most of us would love to be able to have our hobby pay the bills.
ColoradoBear
Absolutely can't fault a dude who left when Fox came in, but for the most part I don't really care. Other than wondering where he got his degree from and whether getting a Cal degree would have helped him be more successful after basketball. At least now with NIL, a player like Vanover could get a few $$$ to transfer and they use it later to figure out what he wants out of life.
HoopDreams
NBA?

The only person on the planet who thought he had NBA talent was Vanover

evanluck said:

Seems so strange. Maybe an indication of how basketball has changed but usually when someone was 7'+ with even a minimal amount of coordination, you were guaranteed at least a career as an NBA benchwarmer / journeyman. He even has an outside shot.

That being said, if he doesn't love playing basketball, then it is understandable to try other things.
oski003
HoopDreams said:

NBA?

evanluck said:

Does anybody remember when I got into it with about 5 other posters because I said Justice Sueing was better than Vanover? Geez.
calumnus
oski003 said:

HoopDreams said:

NBA?

evanluck said:

Does anybody remember when I got into it with about 5 other posters because I said Justice Sueing was better than Vanover? Geez.

Oh yeah, and people who argued Lars Thiemann was better than Andre Kelly and that Mark Fox was better than Cuonzo Martin….
Eastern Oregon Bear
concernedparent said:

If he can make it work, more power to him. Most of us would love to be able to have our hobby pay the bills.
I'll be happy for Vanover if he can make it work, but I have to imagine that less than 1 percent of the Twitch streamers and social media influencers make enough money to live on. Having a personality that people are drawn to would be a critical factor, but I never got that impression that he had that type of personality while he was at Cal. I haven't paid much attention to him since he left here.
HoopDreams
No I don't remember anyone arguing Lars was better than Kelly

calumnus said:

oski003 said:

HoopDreams said:

NBA?

evanluck said:

Oh yeah, and people who argued Lars Thiemann was better than Andre Kelly and that Mark Fox was better than Cuonzo Martin….
calumnus
HoopDreams said:

calumnus said:

oski003 said:

HoopDreams said:

NBA?

evanluck said:

Fox in his first season started freshman Lars in 18 games with Kelly coming off the bench. I argued against that and several posters vehemently defended Fox and severely criticized Kelly, even calling him "lazy" and "out of shape." Eventually Kelly started in 11 games that year.
HoopDreams
calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

calumnus said:

oski003 said:

HoopDreams said:

NBA?

evanluck said:

Fox in his first season started freshman Lars in 18 games with Kelly coming off the bench. I argued against that and several posters vehemently defended Fox and severely criticized Kelly, even calling him "lazy" and "out of shape." Eventually Kelly started in 11 games that year.
it was a long time ago, but I don't remember any fans "several posters vehemently defended Fox" either.

I'm sure there were some who thought Lars had some potential (I was one of them), but Fox wasn't liked from day 1. Some might have defended him in some aspects or for some decisions, but "vehemently". Maybe one? I just don't remember that.

HearstMining
calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

calumnus said:

oski003 said:

HoopDreams said:

NBA?

evanluck said:

I loved Andre Kelly, but he was out of shape his first year. No doubt Fox was enamored with the idea that Lars was a 7-footer coming out of the German basketball development program and he kept starting Lars hoping that something would click. Four years later, Fox was still hoping - actually, he probably didn't care as, by then, Knowlton had given him the COVID extension.

I loved Andre Kelly, but he WAS out of shape his first year, as evidenced by how much slimmer and more active he was his second year. Fox's biggest failing here was not following up with Kelly during the COVID summer of 2020 to ensure that he maintained his fitness as Kelly looked pretty doughy for the first half of the 2020-2021 season. His second biggest failing was not encouraging Kelly to shoot the 15-18 foot shot as he had good shooting form and accuracy.
calumnus
HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

calumnus said:

oski003 said:

HoopDreams said:

NBA?

evanluck said:

I loved Andre Kelly, but he was out of shape his first year. No doubt Fox was enamored with the idea that Lars was a 7-footer coming out of the German basketball development program and he kept starting Lars hoping that something would click. Four years later, Fox was still hoping - actually, he probably didn't care as, by then, Knowlton had given him the COVID extension.

I loved Andre Kelly, but he WAS out of shape his first year, as evidenced by how much slimmer and more active he was his second year. Fox's biggest failing here was not following up with Kelly during the COVID summer of 2020 to ensure that he maintained his fitness as Kelly looked pretty doughy for the first half of the 2020-2021 season. His second biggest failing was not encouraging Kelly to shoot the 15-18 foot shot as he had good shooting form and accuracy.

Andre Kelly's first year was the prior year, under Wyking Jones. And no matter what you think of his shape, he was a far better basketball player than Lars, especially Lars as a freshman, and should have been a starter all along. That it took Mark Fox half a season to figure that out….but new poster "insiders" on this board (mysteriously gone now) insisted Lars dominated Kelly in practices (Fox had closed practices).

HearstMining
calumnus said:

HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

calumnus said:

oski003 said:

HoopDreams said:

NBA?

evanluck said:

Andre Kelly's first year was the prior year, under Wyking Jones. And no matter what you think of his shape, he was a far better basketball player than Lars, especially Lars as a freshman, and should have been a starter all along. That it took Mark Fox half a season to figure that out….but new poster "insiders" on this board (mysteriously gone now) insisted Lars dominated Kelly in practices (Fox had closed practices).
You're correct about Kelly being a year ahead of Lars - I stand corrected. And there's nothing in my comment stating that Lars was a better player - he clearly wasn't. In fact, I recall more arguments on this board about Anticevich (another Wyking recruit) being the key guy when I don't think he would have started for 3/4 of the teams in the Pac 12 but that's another issue.
calumnus
HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

calumnus said:

oski003 said:

HoopDreams said:

NBA?

evanluck said:

You're correct about Kelly being a year ahead of Lars - I stand corrected. And there's nothing in my comment stating that Lars was a better player - he clearly wasn't. In fact, I recall more arguments on this board about Anticevich (another Wyking recruit) being the key guy when I don't think he would have started for 3/4 of the teams in the Pac 12 but that's another issue.

And you are absolutely correct about Anticevich, who started every single game and was second in minutes only to Bradley. People on this board loved him. Again, Andre Kelly was far better. And while there was no great enthusiasm for his hire, a lot of people on this board really liked Fox and strongly defended him and his decisions that year parroting the "he inherited a mess" and "we are headed in the right direction." Even saying all the transfers out were due to "bad apples."
BeachedBear
I prefer discussions in a bar with faces and voices. That way recollections aren't skewed and inflated.

Often a poster will make a statement (Calumnus for example, who is very knowledgeable about CalMBB). Most people will agree with a statement but type nothing. One or two posters will make a number of rebuttals or arguments that may be misinformed, ignorant, trolling or just crazy (or simply a different opinion or observation). And they may attempt to make that point many, many times.

The end result is there are many posts, but only from a very small minority. But it SEEMS like everyone in the room was arguing against the initial comment, because that is what appears on the screen. In reality (if we were all hanging out in a bar), ALL of us could easily acknowledge that it was ONLY one or two. There would be glares and laughing and the one or two people would shut up or talk to themselves in the corner.
evanluck
Sean Marks played 11 years in the NBA. He average 6.5 points in his career at Cal.

Vanover is 7'6" and has a 3point shot. I think if he had passion for the game he had a shot to earn a bench spot as a stretch 5 rim protector.
Big C
evanluck said:

Sean Marks played 11 years in the NBA. He average 6.5 points in his career at Cal.

Vanover is 7'6" and has a 3point shot. I think if he had passion for the game he had a shot to earn a bench spot as a stretch 5 rim protector.

7'3", I think, but above a certain point and who cares! If Vanover had continued to really develop, he might have had a roster spot in the old NBA.

I'm pretty sure some lesser foreign team would have a use for a guy like him. He might help get butts into the seats (promotion: tall guy's new hairstyle of the game!). So if he wants to continue playing and isn't too picky about where...
ncbears
I'm thinking VanOver has some physical reason to not playing basketball anymore. Even if NBA was out of reach, there are many foreign teams that might have liked to at least try a 7'5 guy. But, people that tall frequently have health issues (because people really shouldn't be that tall - hips, vertebrae, knees, heart). Maybe he did reach out to non-US clubs and got no interest.
flounder
evanluck said:

How is it strange? he weighed like 200 pounds and had minimal athleticism and handles.
concernedparent
flounder said:

evanluck said:

How is it strange? he weighed like 200 pounds and had minimal athleticism and handles.
Yep. Bol Bol is 10 times the player Vanover ever was and is barely hanging onto to a spot in the NBA.
rkt88edmo
Still seems like he could find success outside the NBA, it almost feels like a joke post, he has 101 followers on twitch right now.
flounder
rkt88edmo said:

Still seems like he could find success outside the NBA, it almost feels like a joke post, he has 101 followers on twitch right now.
yeah, definitely a huge market for a string bean center that lacks mobility and averaged 4 points and 3 rebounds as a 5th year senior.
HearstMining
flounder said:

rkt88edmo said:

yeah, definitely a huge market for a string bean center that lacks mobility and averaged 4 points and 3 rebounds as a 5th year senior.
If Sri Lanka has a professional basketball league, I'd say Vanover definitely has a shot.
oskidunker
HearstMining said:

flounder said:

rkt88edmo said:

If Sri Lanka has a professional basketball league, I'd say Vanover definitely has a shot.
Hey, he destroyed Stanford. Thats all I care about
Go Bears!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.