2025 Recruit: JJ Mandaquit

3,337 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by sluggo
brevity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JJ Mandaquit is a 6-1 point guard who is ranked #46 in the On3 industry rankings. Joe Tipton reports that Cal is among his 9 finalists. The others are BYU, Creighton, Hawaii, Louisville, Tennessee, USC, Virginia, and Washington.

There's a free On3 article here. He has already made an official visit to Hawaii and has scheduled 7 more official visits, but that information is behind a paywall.

Mandaquit plays for Utah Prep, and one of his teammates is #1 overall prospect AJ Dybantsa. I mention this not to stir any hope on a package deal -- Cal is NOT among Dybantsa's finalists -- but only to point out that because of Dybantsa, some of Utah Prep's games this season are likely to have national TV coverage, so you can see Mandaquit firsthand.

NarangS19
His official visit to Cal is this weekend based on On3.
Intuit
outstanding highlight video. Madsen certainly has California in the thick of it for outstanding 2025 talent
eastcoastcal
Imagine if we got him, Harwell, and kept Ruff?? 3 top 75 players!!
parentswerebears
This has happened before. Results were favorable.
sluggo
I saw Mandaquit play for the amazing U17 team. He is a very, very good player, I think better than his ranking. And his association with Dybantsa would turn some heads if he came to Cal.
brevity
NarangS19 said:

Excellent. Adam Zagoria has posted a schedule of JJ Mandaquit's official visits to the 8 mainland finalists.

A few notes:

1. Mandaquit and his teammate AJ Dybantsa overlap with one finalist school, BYU, and it turns out they will be making their official visit to Provo at the same time.

2. The early signing period ends November 20, so he could make a written commitment in time, as long as he decides quickly after his last official visit on November 16.
sluggo
brevity said:

NarangS19 said:

Excellent. Adam Zagoria has posted a schedule of JJ Mandaquit's official visits to the 8 mainland finalists.

A few notes:

1. Mandaquit and his teammate AJ Dybantsa overlap with one finalist school, BYU, and it turns out they will be making their official visit to Provo at the same time.

2. The early signing period ends November 20, so he could make a written commitment in time, as long as he decides quickly after his last official visit on November 16.
I think we could dig up a scholarship for Dybantsa if he expressed interest. I think when he gets to the pros he will be the best American player younger than Ant, and he has the potential to be even better than that, like an all-timer. He seems to me like a better version of Tracy McGrady.

I realize he is not interested right now, but crazier things have happened.
NarangS19
Dybansta's NIL demands, I heard, are extremely high, like in the tune of 2-3 million for one year, which is probably why we aren't after him. If I had to guess, I would say that both him and JJ end up at BYU together.
sluggo
NarangS19 said:

Dybansta's NIL demands, I heard, are extremely high, like in the tune of 2-3 million for one year, which is probably why we aren't after him. If I had to guess, I would say that both him and JJ end up at BYU together.
Thanks for sharing this information. We will need someone with very deep pockets to want to have a generational player join Cal for one year. I did not think of BYU as a deep-pocketed place, but it just takes one person.

I don't know if 2-3 million seems high. It is high compared to five years ago when money was under the table, but it is something like the NBA veteran minimum salary, and a lot more people would pay to watch Dybantsa than Lindy Waters III.

calumnus
brevity said:

NarangS19 said:

A few notes:

If both have BYU as finalists I assume they are LDS? I'd think Madsen and the ACC (yes, Big-12 is arguably a better basketball conference), would be attractive.
philbert
Anecdotally, it sounds like BYU has a very good NIL program for hoops.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/candid-coaches-which-programs-do-you-believe-have-the-best-nil-situations/
NarangS19
There are a few reasons why BYU is on an upward track right now.
1. Joining the Big 12, arguably the premier basketball conference, has really helped their visibility
2. Their new coach, Kevin Young, was an assistant for the Suns the last couple years, and was highly regarded by guys like Durant and Booker, meaning it was somewhat a surprise that he went for college. For one and done players, like AJ, a coach like him is a big benefit
3. The owners of the new NHL team in Utah and the Jazz, Ryan Smith, is dumping a lot of money into BYU sports, which is why they're now in the conversation for recruits like AJ. AJ'a demands would place him as, most likely, the highest paid player in college basketball when he enters, and Ryan Smith is willing to pay that.
4. Regarding AJ, he just transferred from Prolific Prep to a school in Utah right in BYU's backyard, meaning BYU has an inside track on him. Combine this with the factors from above, and the fact that JJ attends the same school, and you'll see why I believe they both end up at BYU.
I know that was long, but it's just a quick rundown of BYU and their sudden growth. Would it be great if Madsen could land this guy, yes, but I would lean more towards Harwell and guys like Semetri Carr, and hopefully Madsen gets the NIL to make these ones happen.
bearmanpg
sluggo said:

brevity said:

NarangS19 said:

A few notes:

I think we could dig up a scholarship for Dybantsa if he expressed interest. I think when he gets to the pros he will be the best American player younger than Ant, and he has the potential to be even better than that, like an all-timer. He seems to me like a better version of Tracy McGrady.

With all due respect, what could a better version of Tracy McGrady look like? The original was pretty damn good: 7 time NBA All Star, 2 time All NBA first team, 2 time NBA scoring Champ, Hall of Famer....
mbBear
bearmanpg said:

sluggo said:

brevity said:

NarangS19 said:

A few notes:

With all due respect, what could a better version of Tracy McGrady look like? The original was pretty damn good: 7 time NBA All Star, 2 time All NBA first team, 2 time NBA scoring Champ, Hall of Famer....

Your comment is the one that deserves the respect..."better version of Tracy McGrady" is internet hyperbole at it's worst ha ha ha.....you were kind...
sluggo
bearmanpg said:

sluggo said:

brevity said:

NarangS19 said:

A few notes:

I know it is crazy talk. McGrady was one of the best players of his era. But he shot 34% from 3. I think Dybantsa will be a better shooter, although that is not his calling card right now.

McGrady also had little playoff success and a prime that did not go on for very long, he was 28 during his last good season. I am not sure he made his teammates better like some other stars.

So it is possible to improve on McGrady, but that would mean a Hall of Fame career.
mbBear
sluggo said:

bearmanpg said:

sluggo said:

brevity said:

NarangS19 said:

A few notes:

I know it is crazy talk. McGrady was one of the best players of his era. But he shot 34% from 3. I think Dybantsa will be a better shooter, although that is not his calling card right now.

McGrady also had little playoff success and a prime that did not go on for very long, he was 28 during his last good season. I am not sure he made his teammates better like some other stars.

So it is possible to improve on McGrady, but that would mean a Hall of Fame career.

"Potential NBA player" is huge hype by itself....you have to be incredible to be in the league...
IF you are predicting a Hall of Fame career, or okay, even a "couple of All star years" career, then you are also predicting the mindset of the player, his ability and desire to improve from now moving forward.
I will say he won't even be in the league past a rookie contract, and I haven't seen a frame of video....the reality is, that has a better chance of being true.
sluggo
mbBear said:

sluggo said:

bearmanpg said:

sluggo said:

brevity said:

NarangS19 said:

A few notes:

"Potential NBA player" is huge hype by itself....you have to be incredible to be in the league...
IF you are predicting a Hall of Fame career, or okay, even a "couple of All star years" career, then you are also predicting the mindset of the player, his ability and desire to improve from now moving forward.
I will say he won't even be in the league past a rookie contract, and I haven't seen a frame of video....the reality is, that has a better chance of being true.

I don't disagree with much of what you said. Chances are some things will go wrong. DJ Wagner was once considered the best player in his class. And he was just okay as a Kentucky freshman and has transferred to Arkansas. I believe Ivan Rabb was considered the best player in his class when he was a sophomore. Most don't live up to the hype. If one used their best estimate based on Bayesian statistics, better than Tmac would not come up.

But he is like 6'8'' and I am sure he could start in the NBA tomorrow if he was allowed because his game translates so well. I have seen most of the top American high school players in person or on TV over the last 40 years. Dybantsa is top 5 for me. The others would be LeBron (who I saw at the RSF), Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, Lamar Odom, and Chris Webber. I guess that is top 6. When you know, you know. You could say I have recall bias, but I don't think so.

I have seen Dybantsa interviewed a couple times and he seems like a good enough guy. Anyway, making projections is fun, it does not matter, we will see.

sluggo
Players today are better than they have ever been. Sometimes when watching the NBA I think rules need to be changed because the level of skill is so high. Below is the reason. Dybansta is 17. He has probably been doing workouts like this with personal trainers for the last 3 or 4 years. He is not a natural shooter, but he will learn. You take generational talent at the level of Lamar Odom and Tracy McGrady and give him this kind of training and the sky is the limit.

Edit: it says he was a 9th grader when this was made. But he reclassified, so it is between one and two years ago.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.