Welcome David Grace

13,303 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFCityBear
socaliganbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Econ141
This sounds good. He has to be involved with Brown in some manner right?
helltopay1
Dear Fat: Why??
helltopay1
I take that back. of course he has been recruiting Brown for a long time. Does this hire push Brown into Bear territory??Not necessarily. But it could!!!!!
tequila4kapp
The Cal hoops situation is really looking up with the last two hires, maybe this one especially. Plus these guys wouldn't come to Cal unless WJ was held in high regards.
Big C
I assume it's purely coincidence that our new Athletic Director and our new Assistant Basketball Coach are both Air Force guys, but it seems like QUITE a coincidence.
MoragaBear
Staff
Think it's just a coincidence.
wifeisafurd
Good hire for a lot of reasons.
Big C
Oh, YOU were in the Air Force, too?

j/k
Fyght4Cal
Welcome, indeed, Coach Grace. You round out the staff rather well. Congrats to Coach Jones for continuing to build a solid staff,
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
FloriDreaming
Good hire. He'll make an excellent interim coach in a few months.
wifeisafurd
Big C said:

j/k
Scary thought for our national defense.

Grace has ins on the west coast AAU level beyond that of our current coaching staff. He also apparently knows his "x's" and "o's". And he is real motivated to show his worth.
bluesaxe
wifeisafurd said:

Big C said:

j/k
Scary thought for our national defense.

Grace has ins on the west coast AAU level beyond that of our current coaching staff. He also apparently knows his "x's" and "o's". And he is real motivated to show his worth.
He coached a Compton Magic satellite team in Arizona, recruited the Balls and TJ Leaf to UCLA and seems to be a very highly regarded person. Good addition to an improved staff I think.
59bear
tequila4kapp said:

The Cal hoops situation is really looking up with the last two hires, maybe this one especially. Plus these guys wouldn't come to Cal unless WJ was held in high regards.
Maybe they just didn't have more attractive options. Cal might not be a great job but it is a paycheck.
Californication
So... you're saying you're more of a... a... glass half-empty kinda guy?
tequila4kapp
59bear said:

tequila4kapp said:

Maybe they just didn't have more attractive options. Cal might not be a great job but it is a paycheck.
That's a bit of a cheap shot. This guy is very highly regarded. People like him always have options.
UrsaMajor
tequila4kapp said:

59bear said:

tequila4kapp said:

That's a bit of a cheap shot. This guy is very highly regarded. People like him always have options.
Tequila:

You misunderstand the reasoning. Player X chooses Cal; therefore Player X is a loser. Coach Y is hired at Cal; therefore Coach Y can't find any other job. Cal=bad school; bad athletic programs; bad people. Only then will some posters feel happy.
Ccajon2
Have to admit that Cals recruiting is 180 degrees removed from the Monty years. All the pieces are in place to get the talent we need to make a run. Am optimistic staff can coach what we already have up. We get JB Sky's the limit.
Schroeder71
Cal has hired two new assistants that could take over as the head coach if Wyking doesn't turn the program around next season. As one recruiting service put it, Cal's recruiting can only improve with these two additions.
David Grace spent the last five years at UCLA so he knows Cal's academic standards...Does anyone know how
old Grace is? I couldn't locate it anywhere. GO BEARS!
HoopDreams
young ivee on Coach Grace....

'My guy!'
PtownBear1
Schroeder71 said:

Cal has hired two new assistants that could take over as the head coach if Wyking doesn't turn the program around next season. As one recruiting service put it, Cal's recruiting can only improve with these two additions.
David Grace spent the last five years at UCLA so he knows Cal's academic standards...Does anyone know how
My guess is ~50. 20 years AF, ~10 years coaching
TheSouseFamily
Schroeder71 said:

Not sure I see it this way. First, let's just hope that Coach Jones and the staff DO turn things around and your point is a moot one. But if they don't and a change does need to be made at some point, we're surely not gonna promote someone from the same staff that couldn't win. Especially not a guy like Wilson who had a poor HC record at Pepperdine or a guy like Grace who has never been a HC (like Coach Jones).

But let's just work on the assumption that Wyking turns things around and that the new hires prove to be solid assistants.
Big C
TheSouseFamily said:

Schroeder71 said:

Not sure I see it this way. First, let's just hope that Coach Jones and the staff DO turn things around and your point is a moot one. But if they don't and a change does need to be made at some point, we're surely not gonna promote someone from the same staff that couldn't win. Especially not a guy like Walker who had a poor HC record at Pepperdine or a guy like Grace who has never been a HC (like Coach Jones).

But let's just work on the assumption that Wyking turns things around and that the new hires prove to be solid assistants.
Agree with your main point, but note that the new guy from Pepperdine is Marty Wilson.
TheSouseFamily
Yep my bad. Momentary brain lapse.
Fyght4Cal
We see that Wyking can build a staff. That bodes well for building a program. I just hope all of you nattering nabobs of negativism are ready to pony up for Wyking's next contract. It's gonna be a doozy.

I'm curious, how does this staff stack up against our best staffs of the past?
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
stu
Schroeder71 said:

Does anyone know how old Grace is? I couldn't locate it anywhere.

This Yahoo article says he "graduated high school in 1983". I suppose he would have been about 18 at that time, which would make him about 53 now.
tequila4kapp
Fyght4Cal said:

We see that Wyking can build a staff. That bodes well for building a program. I just hope all of you nattering nabobs of negativism are ready to pony up for Wyking's next contract. It's gonna be a doozy.

WJ is going to be another example of how coaches get pretty damn smart as soon as they put more talent on the floor.
NYCGOBEARS
tequila4kapp said:

Fyght4Cal said:

WJ is going to be another example of how coaches get pretty damn smart as soon as they put more talent on the floor.

Best and most accurate post by anyone in a very long time.
helltopay1
and let's not forget that jay John, former HC at Oregon state and former ass'r to lute Olson, remains on the staff as head of basketball operations.' This is a very, very talented staff. best i've seen in a long, long, time. WJ needs to figure how to get thew best from each man without fracturing egos in the process. never an easy task. he needs to set up an organizational chart which clearly delineates the duties of each ass't and then stick to it. i.e. who are the coaches and who are the recruiters, etc. roles set up by WJ need to be accepted and adhered to by the assistants. As reagan used to say, " if nobody cares who gets the credit, much can be accomplished."
HKBear97!
Actually, Grace was a head coach at the high school and AAU level with phenomenal results. If we had known we were going with a cheap and lesser known hire for the job a year ago, I would have actually been more impressed if we hired Grace over Wyking. He had some head coaching experience, significant Pac-12 experience, west coast experience, AAU connections and an unbelievable recruiting track record. In any event I'm excited to have him on the staff and hope it is the start of turning things around.
NewYorkCityBear
helltopay1 said:

and let's not forget that jay John, former HC at Oregon state and former ass'r to lute Olson, remains on the staff as head of basketball operations.' This is a very, very talented staff. best i've seen in a long, long, time. WJ needs to figure how to get thew best from each man without fracturing egos in the process. never an easy task. he needs to set up an organizational chart which clearly delineates the duties of each ass't and then stick to it. i.e. who are the coaches and who are the recruiters, etc. roles set up by WJ need to be accepted and adhered to by the assistants. As reagan used to say, " if nobody cares who gets the credit, much can be accomplished."
Is John still on the staff?
He's not listed as such on the calbears.com site.
Keith Brown is listed as Director of Operations.

http://calbears.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball
EricBear
Staff
Jay John is not on the basketball staff. He operates in a fundraising capacity for the athletic department. In addition to radio. But his office is just around the corner from the basketball offices and he is a good resource.
helltopay1
eric---thanks for the clarification.
SFCityBear
TheSouseFamily said:

Schroeder71 said:

Not sure I see it this way. First, let's just hope that Coach Jones and the staff DO turn things around and your point is a moot one. But if they don't and a change does need to be made at some point, we're surely not gonna promote someone from the same staff that couldn't win. Especially not a guy like Wilson who had a poor HC record at Pepperdine or a guy like Grace who has never been a HC (like Coach Jones).

We just did promote someone from the same staff that couldn't (or rather, didn't) win. It was a staff that, even with top recruits, could not design an effective, good looking offense. Cuonzo Martin was a mediocre coach, who could coach a defense to look better and be effective, but who had no clue whatsoever how to coach offense.
TheSouseFamily
That's a little different SFCB. The premise of S71's post was that Wyking might fail to win and be fired, in which case we'd have available and capable options on staff to take the HC job. Yes, Wyking was elevated but Coach Martin wasn't fired and nor was that even a consideration at the time. So it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison. Plus, he had a 62-39 record for us which I wouldn't call "not being able to win."

Regardless, it's an unsavory hypothetical scenario to even consider so let's just worry about making sure Coach Jones is successful.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.