bill walton

4,333 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by helltopay1
helltopay1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
our Guv recently issued an illegal moratorium on over 700 inmates condemned on death row. ( illegal because the voters said, " don't you dare," ) but, he said, in effect, " blank you." but, after listening to Bill Walton for hours on TV tonight, our Guv has advocated capital punishment for the crazed hippie from Westwood. Question; Did Walton major in bull**** at UCLA or is his "act" a cover for his narcissistic personality? It is rumored that Waltons' therapists ( plural) have all insisted that Walton pay them instead of the usual arrangement. I'll just bet that he';s pu*** whipped at home. "Never mind that conference of champions sh**----just take out the garbage and walk the dog."
calbear80
Helltopay1, finally, you and I agree on something.

I love Pac-12, but, listening to Bill Walton's continuous constant ... made me switch to watching other games the last two nights (Duke-UNC was great last night). Walton is "maybe entertaining" the first 5 minutes, but after that ...

I hope Pac-12 Network finds better color announcers next year.

Go Bears!
oskidunker
I have the sound off when he is on.

Go Bears!
BeachedBear
calbear80 said:

I love Pac-12, but, listening to Bill Walton's continuous constant ... made me switch to watching other games the last two nights (Duke-UNC was great last night). Walton is "maybe entertaining" the first 5 minutes, but after that ...

Go Bears!
Bingo! When Walton started broadcasting P12 games, he was insightful, entertaining and had pretty good pacing. After a couple of seasons (two at the most), he stopped focusing on the game and fell into his shtick. While it may have had some entertainment value for about 5 minutes - it became unbearable during entire games.

He had a lot of promise when he started, but the producers not only let him slip, but seemed to encourage it as well. He seems like an interesting guy to hang around with over dinner, but he shouldn't be doing games anymore.

Sad really.
ncbears

P.S. I did not create this image.
joe amos yaks
BeachedBear said:

calbear80 said:

Go Bears!
Bingo! When Walton started broadcasting P12 games, he was insightful, entertaining and had pretty good pacing. After a couple of seasons (two at the most), he stopped focusing on the game and fell into his shtick. While it may have had some entertainment value for about 5 minutes - it became unbearable during entire games.

He had a lot of promise when he started, but the producers not only let him slip, but seemed to encourage it as well. He seems like an interesting guy to hang around with over dinner, but he shouldn't be doing games anymore.

Sad really.
Mr. Walton is like the Marx Brothers rolled into one, plus he the only commentator who offers a lesson in the geography of place.

"They threw an apple at me . . . watermelons are out of season."

"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
RedlessWardrobe
Finally. Something that all of us BI posters can agree on! Walton distracts viewers from watching the game, he is - (pardon the pun) - unbearable.
LOUMFSG2
I've said this before about Walton: if he were 80%-90% straight announcing, and 10%-20% tangential shtick, he could be one of my favorite announcers, because in small doses, his shtick is entertaining, and he has some very unique insights. But he is literally 80%-90% shtick (and that might be an understatement), and I find him totally unwatchable / unlistenable
HoopDreams
I watched the Oregon/ASU game with about 10 minutes left plus OT

I don't have an affinity for either team (but wanted ducks to lose .... UW please please beat the quacks

But I've said it before. I like Walton and still think he's entertaining. I only see him a few games/year and that's fine. I do like his comments on fouling. Game would be much more watchable if refs called it like him 'let them play'

TheSouseFamily
I get why Bill's not everyone's cup of tea but I love him. I'm much more likely to watch a non-Cal game if he's doing it. The chemistry and dynamic with Pasch is first-rate comedy. Plus, I always feel like I'm learning something whether it's about the fauna of the Galapagos Islands or the inherent energy of quasars. Love his enthusiasm for the game and for life in general. The world needs more of that. Keep on keeping on, Bill.
helltopay1
time Magazine just conducted a survey. bill Walton was voted the most annoying person on the planet. Hillary and Adolf Hitler tied for second. Most women broke for Adolf because they thought his mustache was a cute. Men broke for Hillary for the same reason. PED XING came in third. He's the guy who advertises his name in a crosswalk just before you get there.
joe amos yaks
Good grief.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
bearister
TheSouseFamily said:

I get why Bill's not everyone's cup of tea but I love him. I'm much more likely to watch a non-Cal game if he's doing it. The chemistry and dynamic with Pasch is first-rate comedy. Plus, I always feel like I'm learning something whether it's about the fauna of the Galapagos Islands or the inherent energy of quasars. Love his enthusiasm for the game and for life in general. The world needs more of that. Keep on keeping on, Bill.

I was in your camp until this season. He now seems to be deliberately doing a parody of himself and he has developed almost an arrogant edge to his schtick. I'm a Don MacLean groupie now.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Big C
I liked Walton so much as a player that he has a huge reservoir of credibility built up for me. He doesn't bother me as an announcer because...

a) I'm WATCHING the game and the replays, so I can see for myself what's going on (as opposed to, say, Starkey on the radio).
b) Whatever info ANY of those guys is going to tell me about the Cal players, I probably already know.

Thus, if he riffs on something and it's entertaining, great. If it's stupid, I just tune it out or gently shake my head.
Econ141
I personally really like him. I am not so in to the intracacies of basketball that I need/want someone to tell me all about that.

He has been through a lot and it's great to see someone who loves life and is passionate about basketball and people. I appreciate when he gives unique personal backgrounds of people on both teams...and he loves Berkeley as a city and as an University. It's hard finding positive people like this and I find him a lot less boring to listen to than other commentators. Just my preference I guess and looks like I'm in the minority!
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
RedlessWardrobe
Fat slice, all that stuff is probably true.

But when I'm watching a basketball game none of that stuff matters. I just prefer that the color commentator add something of significance to the game. With BW, that rarely happens. And all the banter becomes nothing more than a distraction.
bearister
I am of the generation that can personally relate to all of his cultural references. I actually share his taste in music, literature and other areas. Where the arrogance comes in is that he is basically giving a Huge F you to younger people who either don't know what he is talking about, or if they do, simply are not interested in the information. It would be like subjecting me to a color commentator dropping Hip Hop references every couple of minutes. By halftime I'd hang myself in the bathroom.
TheSouseFamily
I can respect that. I do sometimes think he goes into the schtick for schtick's sake. But I don't mind it. It's still amusing. I'd much rather have that than listen to Casey Jacobsen or, god forbid, Sean Farnham, blather on endlessly. I'm with you on D-Mac though. Nice blend of real basketball insight and dry humor.
bearister
TheSouseFamily said:

I can respect that. I do sometimes think he goes into the schtick for schtick's sake. But I don't mind it. It's still amusing. I'd much rather have that than listen to Casey Jacobsen or, god forbid, Sean Farnham, blather on endlessly. I'm with you on D-Mac though. Nice blend of real basketball insight and dry humor.

When my son was a little guy his CYO team played at halftime of of a Warriors' game. The Warriors were playing the Suns. After the boys finished playing I was with the team as we left through the players' aisle. The Suns were on either side waiting to return to the court. The boys were looking up admiringly at the players and Casey looked back at them with the most arrogant unfriendly Furd pr@ck look on his face you can imagine. I have hit the mute button every time I have seen him on TV since.
TheSouseFamily
This is apropos of nothing but my brother is a UCLA guy and big hoops fan who has met Walton several times over the years. His main takeaway is that Walton has the largest teeth he's ever seen in a human being.

&w=1000&q=70
KenBurnski
I bet Walton knows a magnificent brownie recipe
bearister
TheSouseFamily said:

This is apropos of nothing but my brother is a UCLA guy and big hoops fan who has met Walton several times over the years. His main takeaway is that Walton has the largest teeth he's ever seen in a human being.

&w=1000&q=70

He'd make a formidable zombie.
calpoly
helltopay1 said:

time Magazine just conducted a survey. bill Walton was voted the most annoying person on the planet. Hillary and Adolf Hitler tied for second. Most women broke for Adolf because they thought his mustache was a cute. Men broke for Hillary for the same reason. PED XING came in third. He's the guy who advertises his name in a crosswalk just before you get there.
Please link your source...I say Bull***. No one is more annoying the Dump!
helltopay1
dear cal poly: If you actually thought that Time Magazine conducted such a survey, no wonder you went to Cal poly instead of Cal. my point was that Walton and Hillary are the two most annoying folks on thge planet. UPDATE: Bill Clinton just e-mailed me to say that he agreed with me. And Waltons' children also e-mailed me saying that they agreed with me. Now------that deserves a GOOD GRIEF.
Yogi58
helltopay1 said:

dear cal poly: If you actually thought that Time Magazine conducted such a survey, no wonder you went to Cal poly instead of Cal. my point was that Walton and Hillary are the two most annoying folks on thge planet. UPDATE: Bill Clinton just e-mailed me to say that he agreed with me. And Waltons' children also e-mailed me saying that they agreed with me. Now------that deserves a GOOD GRIEF.
Discover the quote function
KenBurnski
helltopay1
Dear yogi: you have a strange relationship with the english language.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.