Our AD isn't the only one getting raked over the coals (link)

2,439 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Fyght4Cal
OneTopOneChickenApple
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ucla-basketball-jamie-dixon-20190405-story.html
calbear80
UC Westwood needs to realize that most of the current recruits do not know much about college basketball from before John Wooden died (2010) and many parents of the current recruits may not have even born when John Wooden last coached a basketball game (1975). That is ancient history.

Go Bears!

BearlyCareAnymore
calbear80 said:

UC Westwood needs the realize that not a single current recruit was born when John Wooden died (2010) and almost no parent of any current recruit was born when John Wooden last coached a basketball game (1975). That is ancient history.

Go Bears!

I agree with the overall message, but I'm wondering what year you think it is that recruits weren't born before 2010 and parents weren't born by 1975.?
BearSD
It's not a good sign for Cal when you're comparing our AD to Chianti Dan.
Fyght4Cal
OaktownBear said:

calbear80 said:

UC Westwood needs the realize that not a single current recruit was born when John Wooden died (2010) and almost no parent of any current recruit was born when John Wooden last coached a basketball game (1975). That is ancient history.

Go Bears!

I agree with the overall message, but I'm wondering what year you think it is that recruits weren't born before 2010 and parents weren't born by 1975.?
Thats a strange claim. My daughter, born in 2000, is a current college softball recruit. My youngest is also in HS. As for me, I was 14 years old in 1975. I remember the Wooden UCLA teams very well.
k9dog1
OneTopOneChickenApple said:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ucla-basketball-jamie-dixon-20190405-story.html
Wow, they actually offered Callipari LESS than what he was making at Kentucky??? Who does that, LOL?!?

Go Bears!
calbear80
OaktownBear said:

Oak town, thank you, thank you. My bad. I corrected it. Thanks for catching it.
calbear80
Fyght4Cal said:

Thats a strange claim. My daughter, born in 2000, is a current college softball recruit. My youngest is also in HS. As for me, I was 14 years old in 1975. I remember the Wooden UCLA teams very well.

You are right. My bad. Sorry about my mistake. I corrected it. Thanks.
helltopay1
Dear Mr. Hernandez: It doesn't matter if 7 space cadets from telegraph ave coached UCLA. Their recruiting pool is so large and their reputation so storied that they will continue to draw top-notch recruits. Just roll out thew ball ( like Steve Lavin did) and they will win more games than they will lose.
ClayK
So I was talking to our Miramonte girls' varsity team about getting ready for a big playoff game, and I said "John Wooden said you need to get plenty of rest two nights before the game, not just one ..."

And then I noticed the blank looks, so I asked "How many of you know who John Wooden is?"

One girl raised her hand, who happened to be the head coach's daughter and had heard him talk about Wooden.

Boys might know a little more, but I wouldn't count on it ...
BearSD
helltopay1 said:

Dear Mr. Hernandez: It doesn't matter if 7 space cadets from telegraph ave coached UCLA. Their recruiting pool is so large and their reputation so storied that they will continue to draw top-notch recruits. Just roll out thew ball ( like Steve Lavin did) and they will win more games than they will lose.
Lavin did better than just winning more games than he lost at UCLA. He made 4 sweet 16s in 6 years, and only one other team in Division I (Arizona) made as many sweet 16s in that time period. Maybe the problem there is running off coaches who "only" make the sweet 16 more than half the time.
calbear80
ClayK said:

So I was talking to our Miramonte girls' varsity team about getting ready for a big playoff game, and I said "John Wooden said you need to get plenty of rest two nights before the game, not just one ..."

And then I noticed the blank looks, so I asked "How many of you know who John Wooden is?"

One girl raised her hand, who happened to be the head coach's daughter and had heard him talk about Wooden.

Boys might know a little more, but I wouldn't count on it ...

Thank you Clay. You reconfirmed the spirit of my post.

Go Bears!

P.S. I actually met Coach Wooden once in the early 2000's (I think) during a luncheon in the Valley. He seemed like a very nice old guy in our five minute interaction. I have a couple pictures with him somewhere (it is on a regular digital camera buried somewhere because that was before the I-Phones and my stupid "smart phone" of back then did not have a camera).
joe amos yaks
That was not a very smart phone. You should have gone with a J-phone.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
bluesaxe
calbear80 said:

UC Westwood needs to realize that most of the current recruits do not know much about college basketball from before John Wooden died (2010) and many parents of the current recruits may not have even born when John Wooden last coached a basketball game (1975). That is ancient history.

Go Bears!

Wooden's teams may not be particularly relevant, but UCLA was in the Final Four three straight years ending 11 years ago so UCLA's glory days aren't entirely in the far past.
Fyght4Cal
calbear80 said:

Fyght4Cal said:

You are right. My bad. Sorry about my mistake. I corrected it. Thanks.
Just wanted to give you a hard time about the age thing. Truly some of us are just old parents with young kids.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.