Eric Musselman

6,521 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bearister
Alkiadt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm totally shocked!

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2019/04/07/report-arkansas-expected-to-hire-nevada-coach-eric-musselman/

LOL

What will JohnsonBob have to talk about now?
tsubamoto2001
It's Eric. Somehow, he wasn't good enough for Cal. Was it because he hired Yanni? Cal just doesn't want coaches that win, I guess. Not saying Muss was my first choice or anything, but look what we ended up with.
Alkiadt
tsubamoto2001 said:

It's Eric. Somehow, he wasn't good enough for Cal. Was it because he hired Yanni (I personally couldn't care less, but that's just my opinion)? Cal just doesn't want coaches that win, I guess. Not saying Muss was my first choice or anything, but look what we ended up with.
Yes, my mistake (based on my age!)
Not sure how to change that...?

Maybe the mods can?
bearister
Alkiadt said:

tsubamoto2001 said:

It's Eric. Somehow, he wasn't good enough for Cal. Was it because he hired Yanni (I personally couldn't care less, but that's just my opinion)? Cal just doesn't want coaches that win, I guess. Not saying Muss was my first choice or anything, but look what we ended up with.
Yes, my mistake (based on my age!)
Not sure how to change that...?

Maybe the mods can?

Once someone comments on your post you are c blocked from editing your topic line.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
TheSouseFamily
Makes sense. It wasn't a matter of if but where. He had precious little incentive to deal with the coming rebuild at Nevada, having lost 6 of its top 7 players.

He's supposedly getting 5 years / $14.5M which has got to be well outside our price range, so I can't imagine him showing up at Cal was ever a serious consideration.
PtownBear1
Cal admins may be adverse to winners, but I don't get why UCLA didn't go after Muss. I guess they've been too busy trying to low ball coaches that aren't interested.

Wonder if Jordan brown is going to go with him.
stu
PtownBear1 said:

I thought Brown had planned to be going to the NBA.
tsubamoto2001
Brown was an idiot for going to Nevada to begin with. Muss's Method there was to build with transfers. But on the other hand, had Cal hired a competent coach (not Wyking, obviously), it had a great chance to land Brown.

stu said:

PtownBear1 said:

mcdbear
Wonder if Nevada goes after Trent Johnson now. Of the recent Nevada coaches Trent Johnson was the most beloved in Reno.
Big C
No need to anoint this guy. He's a good coach, but he really wears on everybody after awhile, which is why he's NEVER in the same spot for more than a few years. He's sort of like a poor man's Jim Harbaugh. Now, maybe that almost sounds good, but I mean a VERY poor man.
BearSD
Big C said:

No need to anoint this guy. He's a good coach, but he really wears on everybody after awhile
Well, if you're giving me a choice between a good coach who wears on everybody, and a coach who is well liked but doesn't win many games...

oskidunker
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Musselman
Go Bears!
NVBear78
tsubamoto2001 said:

Brown was an idiot for going to Nevada to begin with. Muss's Method there was to build with transfers. But on the other hand, had Cal hired a competent coach (not Wyking, obviously), it had a great chance to land Brown.

stu said:

PtownBear1 said:

Out of curiosity where do you rank our new coach in competence relative to Monty, Martin, Braun, Campanelli, Wyking, Bozeman and Kuchen?
stu
NVBear78 said:

Out of curiosity where do you rank our new coach in competence relative to Monty, Martin, Braun, Campanelli, Wyking, Bozeman and Kuchen?

IMHO it will take 3 or 4 years to figure out how Fox does at Cal. But I think coming in Montgomery clearly had a better record while Bozeman & Jones had essentially no records.
Bobodeluxe
Bozo had no records, no receipts. Strictly cash.
Yogi58
stu said:

IMHO it will take 3 or 4 years to figure out how Fox does at Cal.
3 years max. He won't be able to do much about recruiting this summer and he won't have any results to recruit off of in November. He's likely to have a fairly tough year next year (though better than Wyking IMO).

Third year, he should be able to show some improvement if he's built a culture.
Big C
NVBear78 said:

tsubamoto2001 said:

stu said:

PtownBear1 said:

To me, he's Monty, but less gruff and not as good a coach.

Or Ben Braun, give or take.

By "competence", do you mean just Xs and Os and player development, or also factoring in recruiting?

This year and especially next, he needs to identify and attract some players, otherwise, he's never going to get over the hump. Not long ago "this year" (for recruiting) was already water under the bridge by this point, but he needs to fill in the roster with grad transfers, any transfers... find SOMETHING. But 2020 will really be the key.
Yogi58
NVBear78 said:

tsubamoto2001 said:

stu said:

PtownBear1 said:

In my opinion (and I've spend almost no time watching Mark Fox teams play), I'm guessing between Martin and Brown. Probably closer to Martin. He's gonna need to figure out a way to recruit a lot better than he has in the past to get up near Monty level.
calumnus
NVBear78 said:

tsubamoto2001 said:

stu said:

PtownBear1 said:

I'd say somewhat below Braun. Fox went 0-2 in the Tournament over 9 seasons. Braun did much better than that. Both are defense first, offensively challenged. Braun was a much better recruiter, though that opinion is partly based on all the guys where he finished second.
GBear4Life
Musselman is one of the better coaches in all of bball at any level. His temperament, discipline, and teaching make him a better fit in college than in the NBA IMO. His Hoops and coaching IQ is at the top of his profession. He will soon no longer be 'underrated'.

He would have been an unequivocal home-run hire for Cal last year. He is a home run hire for Arkansas.

How did it go down two years ago? Did he storm out of an interview? All I know is Cal tried to save face by saying "we didn't offer him a contract". Uh, yeah...because you don't offer contracts to people who have already rejected you lmao.
KoreAmBear
tsubamoto2001 said:

stu said:

PtownBear1 said:

I recall that we still had a chance with Brown had we closed on another big man around this time last year. He wanted support. We still had the guy from Eastern Michigan and Minnesota guy in the mix, and if one of the two signed we may have had Brown. But Wyking didn't close on those two and because of that Brown too. We got Connor late, but I believe Brown made the decision by then. Pretty much our season was cemented after we couldn't land that Eastern Michigan big.
Civil Bear
KoreAmBear said:

tsubamoto2001 said:

stu said:

PtownBear1 said:

I recall that we still had a chance with Brown had we closed on another big man around this time last year. He wanted support. We still had the guy from Eastern Michigan and Minnesota guy in the mix, and if one of the two signed we may have had Brown. But Wyking didn't close on those two and because of that Brown too. We got Connor late, but I believe Brown made the decision by then. Pretty much our season was cemented after we couldn't land that Eastern Michigan big.

The dominoes were all set for the MGT and Brown to commit, but there wasn't scholly room for both. That's when WJ tried to make room by kicking the two CCSF transfers to the curb. Once that fiasco blew up Brown committed to Nevada, followed later by the MGT having a change of heart. The Minnesota big was never part of the Brown equation.
KoreAmBear
Civil Bear said:

KoreAmBear said:

tsubamoto2001 said:

stu said:

PtownBear1 said:

The dominoes were all set for the MGT and Brown to commit, but there wasn't scholly room for both. That's when WJ tried to make room by kicking the two CCSF transfers to the curb. Once that fiasco blew up Brown committed to Nevada, followed later by the MGT having a change of heart. The Minnesota big was never part of the Brown equation.
Oh yah that happened lol. Everything about the Wyking show was a crack up. God bless him.
Yogi58
calumnus said:

NVBear78 said:

tsubamoto2001 said:

stu said:

PtownBear1 said:

I'd say somewhat below Braun. Fox went 0-2 in the Tournament over 9 seasons. Braun did much better than that. Both are defense first, offensively challenged. Braun was a much better recruiter, though that opinion is partly based on all the guys where he finished second.
Ben Braun never won over 60% of his games in any conference (not even with Siena Heights). Fox won 74% of his games at Nevada.

There is no question that Fox is better than Braun at the coaching piece. The recruiting piece is the part that is the worry.
Fyght4Cal
Civil Bear said:

KoreAmBear said:

tsubamoto2001 said:

stu said:

PtownBear1 said:

In hindsight, perhaps paying Deschon and Austin to leave would have been worth it. Is that against NCAA rules? J/k
oskidunker
To quote Jeff Tedford "No doubt"
Go Bears!
calumnus
Yogi Bear said:

calumnus said:

NVBear78 said:

tsubamoto2001 said:

stu said:

PtownBear1 said:

Ben Braun never won over 60% of his games in any conference (not even with Siena Heights). Fox won 74% of his games at Nevada.

There is no question that Fox is better than Braun at the coaching piece. The recruiting piece is the part that is the worry.

Fox took over a 25 win Nevada team, held the great recruiting class together when HC Trent Johnson took a better job, and then won at good margin in the WAC until those players were gone an he had to rely on his own recruits.

Braun took over a bad Sienna team and improved them. Braun took over a terrible Eastern Michigan team and made them an NCAA team even making the Sweet 16. He took an underperforming Cal team, lost the best scorer going into the post season, replaced him with a Hall of Fame tight end and still made the Sweet 16.

Now look at Fox's history in the post season. Few appearances and fewer wins. He has never won more than a single game and advanced to the second weekend of any tournament, the NCAA, the NIT or even the CBI. Braun gets in the NIT and we won it. And Braun was the epitome of mediocrity in a power conference. Compare Braun at Cal and Fox at Georgia? I'll take Braun every time.

That said, I hope he is awesome at Cal and Georgia ends up regretting having fired him.
joe amos yaks
Yes, but we still need to give Coach Fox a chance. Who knows, maybe he'll bring in a future HoF TE to crash the boards and score. . . or maybe future HoF QB or DE or 200m sprinter ~~~~~. . .
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
caltagjohnson
You better worry about the Cal BB program, not me. Cal is a train werck. The Wolfpack is in good shape

Cal: A poetry professor as Chancellor
The third straight loser at AD
A mediocre coach. And no practice facility
Haas full of empty seats
Apathetic student body

UNR: Coach with outstanding resume and a practice facility
No 1 returning player came back from the Transfer Portal.
Dynamic young AD. Goes out and hires a coach. Doesn't sit on his ass and let a search firm do it.
Great community support. 11.000+ at almost every game

And best of all...my $30,000 per year donation is done. Biggest mistake of my life. Had 2 chairside seats. Never went to a game last year and gave the tickets way. In spite of the 2 worst years in Cal BB history I will still root for them to win. I don't expect much however.
BearSD
caltagjohnson said:

UNR: Coach with outstanding resume and a practice facility
Wow. You're telling us they already fired Alford and replaced him with a coach with an outstanding resume?

;-)

KoreAmBear
calumnus said:

Yogi Bear said:

calumnus said:

NVBear78 said:

tsubamoto2001 said:

stu said:

PtownBear1 said:

Fox took over a 25 win Nevada team, held the great recruiting class together when HC Trent Johnson took a better job, and then won at good margin in the WAC until those players were gone an he had to rely on his own recruits.

Braun took over a bad Sienna team and improved them. Braun took over a terrible Eastern Michigan team and made them an NCAA team even making the Sweet 16. He took an underperforming Cal team, lost the best scorer going into the post season, replaced him with a Hall of Fame tight end and still made the Sweet 16.

Now look at Fox's history in the post season. Few appearances and fewer wins. He has never won more than a single game and advanced to the second weekend of any tournament, the NCAA, the NIT or even the CBI. Braun gets in the NIT and we won it. And Braun was the epitome of mediocrity in a power conference. Compare Braun at Cal and Fox at Georgia? I'll take Braun every time.

That said, I hope he is awesome at Cal and Georgia ends up regretting having fired him.
Calumnus, I think you overrate Braun a bit. No question his first year was terrific. While Cal did under perform under Bozeman, they were coming off a 4th place finish in the Pac-10 and got a 12 seed losing to Tim Floyd's Iowa State team. I think that was the Jelani Gardner, Tremaine Fowlkes team that underachieved like crazy. Yet Bozeman still recruited well enough to leave Braun with a lot of talent. Having two future NBA centers, a HOF TE, a very adept PG and a gunner, mostly seniors, helped a lot. Yes Gray was lost to his broken foot, but that still was a very good team (that beat the national champs Arizona during the season).

We had some solid if not exciting years thereafter, but we all know the trajectory. He knew how to develop the walkon program. Probably the best I've seen in terms of walkons.

He was completely awful at Rice, and pretty much never recovered. So I'd say overall Braun is not much better than Fox if at all, and especially not the Braun by the time he got to Rice.
calumnus
KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

Yogi Bear said:

calumnus said:

NVBear78 said:

tsubamoto2001 said:

stu said:

PtownBear1 said:

Calumnus, I think you overrate Braun a bit. No question his first year was terrific. While Cal did under perform under Bozeman, they were coming off a 4th place finish in the Pac-10 and got a 12 seed losing to Tim Floyd's Iowa State team. I think that was the Jelani Gardner, Tremaine Fowlkes team that underachieved like crazy. Yet Bozeman still recruited well enough to leave Braun with a lot of talent. Having two future NBA centers, a HOF TE, a very adept PG and a gunner, mostly seniors, helped a lot. Yes Gray was lost to his broken foot, but that still was a very good team (that beat the national champs Arizona during the season).

We had some solid if not exciting years thereafter, but we all know the trajectory. He knew how to develop the walkon program. Probably the best I've seen in terms of walkons.

He was completely awful at Rice, and pretty much never recovered. So I'd say overall Braun is not much better than Fox if at all, and especially not the Braun by the time he got to Rice.

I do not overrate Braun, I was one of Braun's biggest critics on this board. He would put out lineups that excluded our best players in order to match up in man with the other team. He would follow rulesone foul sit, 2 fouls sit for the half, that other coaches easily exploited. He played slow-down pointless offense in the idea that was "defense" too often relying on hero ball as the shot clock expired. He was mediocre and Cal kept him too long. The problem is, all of the above applies to Fox at Georgia too. Between the two, Braun had a better postseason record which is more important to me than regular season winning percentage.

Further on the plus side, Braun was a great finder of talent. He brought in some underrated future conference POYs and finished second on future NBA all-stars and Hall of Faners. He ran a clean program, even donated part of his own salary to the AD. He loved Berkeley and still lives there. And his great relationship with our largest donors cannot be underestimated.

Fox runs a clean program. The rest we will see. However, right now I would rate him below Braun. That is not overrating Braun, it is saying how much I did not like this hire. Again, I hope he greatly exceeds his past performance.
bearister
I believe Braun donated $250K. That walkin' da walk.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.