UC Westwood Rejected Again, This Time By Rick Barnes of Tennessee

1,877 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by calbear80
calbear80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Per ESPN, Rick Barnes has rejected UC Westwood's $5M/year offer and has decided to remain at Tennessee.

It must be pretty deflating getting rejected repeatedly, specially if you think you are the Mecca of college basketball. Somebody should remind them that John Wooden last coached a basketball game 44 years ago (that is stone-age history to today's recruits).

I am sure at the end of day they'll hire a good coach with their multi-million dollar budget, but, getting rejected time and again must be hard to swallow.

Go Bears!
helltopay1
dear 80: "The end of the day" is all that counts.
concordtom
FIVE MILLION DOLLARS PER YEAR.

Think about that.
The coach scores zero points.
The coach grabs zero rebounds.
The camera is on the coach only about 1/100th of the time that it is on the players.

The current system is insane.
oskidunker
Maybe he thinks the quality of life is better where he is.
Go Bears!
concordtom
Maybe he realizes that at his age he doesn't have many (any?) more rodeo stops left.
He already has a thing going at Tennessee, but if he goes to UCLA and doesn't go to a final four, let alone a sweet 16, in 3 years, he will be permanently retired.

In other words, he has a longer lifespan at Tennessee. And he can use the UCLA offer as negotiation material for a bump.
59bear
calbear80 said:

Per ESPN, Rick Barnes has rejected UC Westwood's $5M/year offer and has decided to remain at Tennessee.

It must be pretty deflating getting rejected repeatedly, specially if you think you are the Mecca of college basketball. Somebody should remind them that John Wooden last coached a basketball game 44 years ago (that is stone-age history to today's recruits).

I am sure at the end of day they'll hire a good coach with their multi-million dollar budget, but, getting rejected time and again must be hard to swallow.

Go Bears!
UCLA has become a coaches' graveyard. The curse of John Wooden!
calbear80
helltopay1 said:

dear 80: "The end of the day" is all that counts.

HTP, I agree with you (It is hard to believe, but, after all of your nutty comments of the last two years, finally we agree on something!).

Go Bears!
parentswerebears
Apparently, they are now in talks with Cronin out of Cincinnati. I hope he leverages that for a better deal with Cincy.
stu
stu
Done
parentswerebears
Wow. That happened fast.
71Bear
calbear80 said:

Go Bears!
Whenever colleges are "rejected" in their search for a head coach, I always think of SC and how multiple rejections led them to Pete Carroll.

Being rejected by a coach can be a blessing.
calbear80
UC Westwood finally hired a coach by "settling" for their fifth or sixth or seventh choice and way overpaying him. I would be pretty unhappy if I was an alum.

Go Bears!
calbear80
71Bear said:

calbear80 said:

Go Bears!
Whenever colleges are "rejected" in their search for a head coach, I always think of SC and how multiple rejections led them to Pete Carroll.

Being rejected by a coach can be a blessing.

Most of the time, no. On a few exceptions (Pete Carroll being one), yes.

Go Bears!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.