Article on Nowitzki and Cal

2,808 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by calumnus
79 Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/how-cal-nearly-landed-dirk-nowitzki-and-lost-him-to-the-nba/ar-BBVONsw?ocid=spartandhp

Makes the point (as some have here) that Cal is well suited to recruit international players.
Econ141
This is the best news the basketball team has had in years!!! Nowitzki almost went to Cal!!
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
calumnus
RhetoriCal Bear said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/how-cal-nearly-landed-dirk-nowitzki-and-lost-him-to-the-nba/ar-BBVONsw?ocid=spartandhp

Makes the point (as some have here) that Cal is well suited to recruit international players.

They left out the part where the NCAA screwed us. American kids were able to enter their name into the draft and withdraw it if they did not hire an agent, but when Nowitzki did the NCAA ruled foreign kids MUST go pro if they enter their names into the draft. Cal had lawyers trying to reverse that. It probably wouldn't have made a difference, he would have gone pro anyway, but the NCAA's position was ridiculous.
joe amos yaks
We knew this. It is old news. Ask xCoach Braun.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
WildBear
there was a better one on espn: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26325996/dirk-nowitzki-1998-nike-hoop-summit-oral-history
bluehenbear
https://deadspin.com/dirk-nowitzki-calls-it-a-career-1833931993

After Sir Charles played against him for Team USA, he wanted him to go play for Auburn:

Quote:

Barkley: [The game had] Scottie, MJ, there was a bunch of NBA guys. Dirk was 18. This was when Scottie was quote on quote "the best defender in the world." So Dirk is kicking our ass. He's got like 25 at halftime. Me and Michael are like "Scottie you gotta pick it up a little bit." He's like "Man, I'm gonna lock him down in the second half." Dirk finished with 52. I was like "Dude, who the hell are you?!"[...] So I call Nike. I say, "Find out about this kid. Tell him I'll give him anything he wants to go to Auburn. Anything he wants, we'll get it done." So they call, this is in the middle of the summer, [Nike] is in the middle of Germany somewhere. I say, "Just give him anything he wants. He's got to go to Auburn." They say "Well, he's got to go in the army." I said, "Dude, that dude is seven feet tall, he's not going in the damn army, what's he gonna hide behind?" The next year Milwaukee drafted [Nowitzki] so I was like "Dude, you should have gone to Auburn. We'd probably have a few banners up by now."
Edit: Seems like Nike was paying players to go to specific schools even back then...
SFCityBear
fat_slice said:

This is the best news the basketball team has had in years!!! Nowitzki almost went to Cal!!
This story never seems to lose its luster.

Didn't we already have someone almost as good? Name of Shareef. He was great, but the team was uh, not so good. He didn't bring Cal a winner, and Nowitski would not have done it either. Back in those days, basketball was more of a team game, with better defense on average. Today, if Cal landed a Nowitski or a Shareef, along with one or two players a cut below, and then the sky's the limit.
SFCityBear
RichyBear
FWIW- A while back on talk radio, Ben Braun was talking with GaryRadnich. Ben said that he had Nowitzki ready to come to Cal, until every one saw him in that All Star game. Ben also said that if labron Jame didn't go directly to the NBA, he would have came to Cal.
Big C
RichyBear said:

FWIW- A while back on talk radio, Ben Braun was talking with GaryRadnich. Ben said that he had Nowitzki ready to come to Cal, until every one saw him in that All Star game. Ben also said that if labron Jame didn't go directly to the NBA, he would have came to Cal.
We know the LeBron-would've-come-to-Cal story, too. He played briefly for the Oakland Soldiers, I think it was between his sophomore and junior years in high school. Leon Powe was on the team and the two hung out. Maybe they come to campus and get in a pick-up game with some Cal players or something. LeBron, already getting famous, says something like, "Maybe I'll go here for college."

That was about the gist of it. Maybe he published a list with some colleges on it, too, and Cal was on that list. Anyway, shortly thereafter, he starts becoming known as a possible future all-time great and it became apparent that he probably was a likely none-and-done. Even if he had gone to college, there was a high likelihood that some college powerhouse was going to swoop in and grab him.

Makes a nice story, though.
calumnus
Big C said:

RichyBear said:

We know the LeBron-would've-come-to-Cal story, too. He played briefly for the Oakland Soldiers, I think it was between his sophomore and junior years in high school. Leon Powe was on the team and the two hung out. Maybe they come to campus and get in a pick-up game with some Cal players or something. LeBron, already getting famous, says something like, "Maybe I'll go here for college."

That was about the gist of it. Maybe he published a list with some colleges on it, too, and Cal was on that list. Anyway, shortly thereafter, he starts becoming known as a possible future all-time great and it became apparent that he probably was a likely none-and-done. Even if he had gone to college, there was a high likelihood that some college powerhouse was going to swoop in and grab him.

Makes a nice story, though.

LeBron spent 3 summers in Berkeley with the Soldiers beginning at age 15. Not just with Powe, but Ubaka, Kately...he loved it, loved Berkeley, the weather, the people, the food, the school. Hanging out on Telegraph and the rap battles on Durant back then. Imagine being a teenager from Akron spending summers on your own with your friends in Berkeley? Taking trips together to Vegas, even Italy?

Also, he was very studious, academically and politically oriented. Oh, Lebron's high school coach, Keith Dambrot had been Ben Braun's assistant at Eastern Michigan so there was that connection too. Braun was the first college coach to scout him. LeBron's mom trusted Braun and wanted Cal for the academics. LeBron wanted the NBA money for his mom.

The NBA rules have switched back and forth, but if the "one and done" rule was in effect at the time, Cal was his most likely destination.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2015/06/01/lebron-james-basketball-rise-came-through-bay-area/amp/

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-weekend-bay-area-trip-that-helped-make-lebron-james-a-star-061242534.html
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.