Chance to catch Lars Thiemann in action this weekend

6,837 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Big C
Fyght4Cal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thiemann and the German U20 team will play a in a four-team tournament in Italy this weekend. They will face Greece (Friday 9am PDT), Italy (Saturday11:30am PDT) and Slovenia (Sunday 9am PDT).

All tournament games will be streamed live on the Facebook page @domeggebasketorneoint

Here's a link to the German basketball federation story:
https://www.basketball-bund.de/news/teams/jugend/u20-herren/u20-herren-ersten-tests-198575
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
KenBurnski
Nice find. Thanks for sharing.
rollonyoubears
So being that it sounds like he's committed to play this tournament, does anyone know when he arrives in Berkeley?
Civil Bear
With all three of our I-recruits making their respective U teams, it sounds like none of them will be attending summer bridge.
bearmanpg
I just caught the start of the 9am game and Lars has started strong with a jump hook off a post move and a dunk in the first couple of minutes....he looks to move quite well for a big kid.....I think we may have something here...There is no audio due to some copywrite law so if I'm correct, Lars is number 15.....If anyone know for sure, I would love to be corrected....
smokeyrover
bearmanpg said:

I just caught the start of the 9am game and Lars has started strong with a jump hook off a post move and a dunk in the first couple of minutes....he looks to move quite well for a big kid.....I think we may have something here...There is no audio due to some copywrite law so if I'm correct, Lars is number 15.....If anyone know for sure, I would love to be corrected....
Yes, I believe 15 in red.

https://www.facebook.com/domeggebasketorneoint/
Fyght4Cal
rollonyoubears said:

So being that it sounds like he's committed to play this tournament, does anyone know when he arrives in Berkeley?
Coach Fox said that it depends on whether he makes the final roster for the Euro championship tourney. If he does, we'll see him in late summer/fall.
Fyght4Cal
Fox addressed the issue of reporting times for the Internationals. Thiemann is in camp for the German U20 team. If he makes the team, we will see him in late summer/fall. The FIBA U20 Euro Championship will take place July 14-21 in Israel.

Dimitrios Klonaras made the Greek U18 National Team. He will play in the FIBA 2019 European Championship in late July-early August.

Joel Brown will represent Canada in the FIBA U19 World Cup. Greece will host these games, as well. The tournament runs June 29-July 7, 2019.

So, we'll see all three of them later in the summer/fall.

Funny story from the Coaches Caravan: An Old Blue asked Coach Fox if he had enough resources to support his international recruiting efforts. Fox joked he has no idea, he's just spending the money until someone says stop. He said he'd take checks immediately from anyone in attendance.
rollonyoubears
Holy crap! I forgot about our other Euros and Canadians! Thanks everyone. I guess that's the downside to recruiting internationally. But if that is what it takes to win, let alone, be competitive, I'll take it!

Go Bears!!!
bluesaxe
rollonyoubears said:

Holy crap! I forgot about our other Euros and Canadians! Thanks everyone. I guess that's the downside to recruiting internationally. But if that is what it takes to win, let alone, be competitive, I'll take it!

Go Bears!!!
Downside not to have them here with their teammates, but it's also an upside that they're playing against good competition and a good sign that they're on those teams.
KoreAmBear
bluesaxe said:

rollonyoubears said:

Go Bears!!!
Downside not to have them here with their teammates, but it's also an upside that they're playing against good competition and a good sign that they're on those teams.
The upside is quite good here (having them play with their national teams during summer v. coming to Cal early). I'd rather them continue to play and get reps against good competition even before stepping foot on Cal campus as a student. I'm really looking forward to seeing these kids play in November. After all the drama happened, is it just me but do you feel a special bond towards those that want to be here, after so many left. I'm rooting for them to really be a special group.
Cal8285
KoreAmBear said:

bluesaxe said:

rollonyoubears said:

Go Bears!!!
The upside is quite good here (having them play with their national teams during summer v. coming to Cal early). I'd rather them continue to play and get reps against good competition even before stepping foot on Cal campus as a student. I'm really looking forward to seeing these kids play in November. After all the drama happened, is it just me but do you feel a special bond towards those that want to be here, after so many left. I'm rooting for them to really be a special group.
It isn't just you.

Among the returning players, I feel most fondly towards Matt Bradley, and among the incoming players, I feel most fondly towards D.J. Thorpe. Rational or not, I feel like in the midst of the drama, they did a good job of affirming they want to be here.

GO BEARS!!
calbearinamaze
Cal8285 said:

KoreAmBear said:

bluesaxe said:

rollonyoubears said:

Go Bears!!!
It isn't just you.

Among the returning players, I feel most fondly towards Matt Bradley, and among the incoming players, I feel most fondly towards D.J. Thorpe. Rational or not, I feel like in the midst of the drama, they did a good job of affirming they want to be here.

GO BEARS!!
For sure. Joel Brown also.

GO BEARS!!!
If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band
Fyght4Cal
Lars Thiemann and Germany prevailed 91-83. Thiemann started, scoring 17 in 20:45 minutes. He was 7 of 8 from 2pt range, including one dunk; and 3 of 3 from the line. Lars grabbed 4 rebounds, 2 on each end. He had 1 block and 2 turnovers. He only committed one foul, while drawing 3. Pretty good night.

Box Score:

Germany plays again on Saturday at 11:30am PDT. Link: https://m.facebook.com/domeggebasketorneoint/
Fyght4Cal
Cal8285 said:

KoreAmBear said:

bluesaxe said:

rollonyoubears said:

Go Bears!!!
It isn't just you.

GO BEARS!!
The sentimental F4C is partial to Jacobi Gordon, as he perseveres through his rehab.

Matt Bradley was a fave of mine the moment he was offered. I though his take-no-crap attitude on the Compton Magic was tailor-made (hehehe) to combat the soft stereotype of Cal basketball. One of my prized pics:

Intuit
F4C thanks for posting the box score of Lars's U20 game. It is a encouraging report on his performance
Harborview
TheSouseFamily
Intuit said:

F4C thanks for posting the box score of Lars's U20 game. It is a encouraging report on his performance

Ditto. Thanks for the updates. Much appreciated. Great to see him doing well.
calbearinamaze
Quote:

He only committed one foul, while drawing 3. Pretty good night.

Box Score:

Germany plays again on Saturday at 11:30am PDT. Link: https://m.facebook.com/domeggebasketorneoint/
Thank you for the box-score and for pointing out the fouls committed/drawn. I would have misinterpreted
it.

GO BEARS!!!!

Eastern Oregon Bear
I didn't watch the game but from the box score, it appears Lars had a good game today as Germany defeated Italy 101-97 in triple OT. Lars played 21 minutes and scored 13 pts on 5-6 shooting (all 2 of shots) and 3-5 FT shooting. The 13 pts was 2nd highest for Germany behind another player that had 39 pts. Lars also had 5 rebounds.
bluesaxe
KoreAmBear said:

bluesaxe said:

rollonyoubears said:

Go Bears!!!
I do too, and I think for the first time in a while I'm going to enjoy the season. They may not win a ton, they may surprise, but I feel like there will be more talent, better coaching and more of a team on the floor.
south bender
bluesaxe said:

KoreAmBear said:

bluesaxe said:

rollonyoubears said:

Go Bears!!!
I do too, and I think for the first time in a while I'm going to enjoy the season. They may not win a ton, they may surprise, but I feel like there will be more talent, better coaching and more of a team on the floor.
Agreed.

Jones' tenure has been a slog, to put it mildly.
Eastern Oregon Bear
Once again I wasn't able to watch the Germany-Slovenia U20 game this morning. Germany blew open a close game in the second half to win 82-68. From the box score it appears that Germany was trying to get other players some experience. Thiemann only played 7 minutes and scored 2 points on free throws. He was 0-3 from the field and had 1 rebound and 1 block.
Cal8285
Fyght4Cal said:

Cal8285 said:

KoreAmBear said:

bluesaxe said:

rollonyoubears said:

Go Bears!!!
It isn't just you.

GO BEARS!!
The sentimental F4C is partial to Jacobi Gordon, as he perseveres through his rehab.

Matt Bradley was a fave of mine the moment he was offered. I though his take-no-crap attitude on the Compton Magic was tailor-made (hehehe) to combat the soft stereotype of Cal basketball. One of my prized pics:

Nice pic!

I hope to have great fondness for all those on the roster in 2019-20. I have Gordon as a sentimental fav for the same reasons as you (and my wife calls him "cousin," so there's that).

In terms of being fond for what KoreAmBear was talking about, however - "in the midst of the drama, [doing] a good job of affirming they want to be here" - Bradley gets my #1 pick among the returning players. I feel like he may have had more options than any of last year's guys who didn't leave, yet made clear pretty quickly that he wanted to be here. In doing so, he was a glue that helped everything stick together, and I feel like he deserves more credit than anybody for the Bears having a roster that gives me some hope. Sorry, Coaches Fox, Francis, Harriman, and Wilson, rational or not, I'm giving Bradley more credit than you guys.
ncbears
But, can Lars be better than Hartmut Ortmann? Is Hartmut involved with Cal at all?
calbearinamaze
Quote:

Nice pic!

I hope to have great fondness for all those on the roster in 2019-20. I have Gordon as a sentimental fav for the same reasons as you (and my wife calls him "cousin," so there's that).

In terms of being fond for what KoreAmBear was talking about, however - "in the midst of the drama, [doing] a good job of affirming they want to be here" - Bradley gets my #1 pick among the returning players. I feel like he may have had more options than any of last year's guys who didn't leave, yet made clear pretty quickly that he wanted to be here. In doing so, he was a glue that helped everything stick together, and I feel like he deserves more credit than anybody for the Bears having a roster that gives me some hope. Sorry, Coaches Fox, Francis, Harriman, and Wilson, rational or not, I'm giving Bradley more credit than you guys.
+1000
bluesaxe
ncbears said:

But, can Lars be better than Hartmut Ortmann? Is Hartmut involved with Cal at all?
He may already be better.
south bender
bluesaxe said:

ncbears said:

He may already be better.
Did Ortmann do anything on the court while at Cal???
KoreAmBear
bluesaxe said:

KoreAmBear said:

bluesaxe said:

rollonyoubears said:

Go Bears!!!
Talent is talent,but discipline, basketball IQ and organized play can be taught. Just like how Wilcox outsmarts offenses, I can't wait for us to actually be formidable in execution and smarts.
oskidunker
Ortman played well against Villanova and caused Rollie Massomino some distress.
Go Bears!
smokeyrover
Thanks Fyght4Cal for all the intl tourney info.

Here is a recent short interview (via Google Translate) with Lars about choosing Cal.
Big C
oskidunker said:

Ortman played well against Villanova and caused Rollie Massomino some distress.
My memory of Ortman was that he was a non-factor at first, but then finally developed into a decent player by his third year or so, using his bulk to good effect. Maybe was derailed by an injury towards the end of that season. Left with a year of eligibility remaining?
Big C
smokeyrover said:

Thanks Fyght4Cal for all the intl tourney info.

Here is a recent short interview (via Google Translate) with Lars about choosing Cal.
Ya gotta love Google Translate (said with irony)!

As far as the how-tall-he-really-is debate, he's listed twice in the article as being 2.11 m, which converts to a shade over 6-11. Of course, they may do the same thing over there that we do (measure in shoes, then "round up"). Still, sounds like he is a legit 6-9/6-10, minimum.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.