nba draft

2,192 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by concordtom
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
surprised that thybulle went that high and was actually the first guy drafted from the Pac12. I thought he would be a mid-second rounder.

USC's Kevin Porter was the next Pac guy at 30 (last pick in first round). I never could figure out what was so good about this guy. low hoops IQ, so I guess it's all about his measurables (size and bouncy)

Okpala at 32 seems about right, but I thought he'd go late first round

Washington's Nowell at 43 and Duck's Bol Bol both seem low to me, but I get that Bol is a high risk pick

San Diego State's McDaniels at 52. Still interesting that we beat that team twice in back to back seasons

UCLA Hands at 56. Another player that didn't impress me, although I guess they like his shooting. I like Nowell a lot better

Oni from Yale at 58. I heard he was the first Ivy player to be drafted in 25 years. Lucky us that we decide to start off our season with a game in China against them. Yale was a good team last year, and Oni scored a super efficient 16 pts vs us.

Surprised ASU's Dort goes undrafted. Oregon's King and Wooten and UCLA Moses Brown also undrafted.

ducky23
HoopDreams said:

surprised that thybulle went that high and was actually the first guy drafted from the Pac12. I thought he would be a mid-second rounder.

USC's Kevin Porter was the next Pac guy at 30 (last pick in first round). I never could figure out what was so good about this guy. low hoops IQ, so I guess it's all about his measurables (size and bouncy)

Okpala at 32 seems about right, but I thought he'd go late first round

Washington's Nowell at 43 and Duck's Bol Bol both seem low to me, but I get that Bol is a high risk pick

San Diego State's McDaniels at 52. Still interesting that we beat that team twice in back to back seasons

UCLA Hands at 56. Another player that didn't impress me, although I guess they like his shooting. I like Nowell a lot better

Oni from Yale at 58. I heard he was the first Ivy player to be drafted in 25 years. Lucky us that we decide to start off our season with a game in China against them. Yale was a good team last year, and Oni scored a super efficient 16 pts vs us.

Surprised ASU's Dort goes undrafted. Oregon's King and Wooten and UCLA Moses Brown also undrafted.

Thybulle is arguably the best perimeter defender in the draft. Anyone who can guard 1-3 and adequately hit open corner threes is valuable in the modern nba. Heck, the dubs could've defintely used a player like that.

The rumor about Bol Bol is that his injury is worse than it initially seemed and that he bombed every interview. I don't think it's a coincidence every team passed on him the first time around. You don't just drop that badly without there being some smoke.

Okpala seems about right. Dude has potential but could easily be a bust.
concordtom
This video is worth watching.

Ken Bone of Tennessee had a draft party, but was about to go undrafted.
He's sitting in the chair behind the speaker, who is telling those gathered some depressing words to wrap up the sad night.
Then ESPN displayed Bone's name on the board, and he gets mobbed by his people.

https://sports.yahoo.com/pelicans-guard-jordan-bone-had-the-most-joyous-draft-reaction-of-the-night-135716863.html

Too bad he will likely not make the team.... all for naught?
Mr. Frumble
HoopDreams said:

Surprised ASU's Dort goes undrafted.

Yeah, I think most mocks had him in the 25-40 range.

But he signed a two-way contract with OKC immediately after the draft, and is probably just as well not having been drafted.

TheSouseFamily
The Bol Bol interview with espn when he was drafted was the most bizarre thing of the night. He sounded like he'd just ripped about 10 bong loads before going on stage. I can see why he's rumored to have bombed the interviews, not to mention his total lack of interest in anything-related to academics.

A few other P12 guys not to get drafted: "Impermissible" Bennie Boatright from SC, Brandon Randolph from Arizona, Zylan Cheatham from Arizona State and Kris Wilkes from UCLA.
TheSouseFamily
sp4149
HoopDreams said:

UCLA Hands at 56. Another player that didn't impress me, although I guess they like his shooting.

The first NBA draftee I have met personally since college. He lived in the same neighborhood in Chula Vista.

The meeting was an unfortunate late night meeting of vehicles on a dark corner at low speed. He looked like an athlete but I didn't know he was a five star headed to Ucla until LOI day. That LOI explained a lot. It was my first accident in 17 years, no injuries, broken plastic, no leaks and all the lights working, both vehicles fully functional. My insurance (All State) raised my auto premium by over $2,000 a year as a result because of a medical claim. (of $50). Seems in California if the result of an accident involves a medical claim of any amount, extra points are awarded and you become a high risk offender.

I was never given the details of what the treatment was, a visit to Urgent Care costs more and they can't take X-rays or have on site lab tests in our neighborhood. If he needed an Ibuprofen I could have bought him a bottle and saved myself a lot of money. But when I learned he was a prep basketball prospect with NBA potential, I was amazed he wasn't admitted to Ucla medical center for a week of tests. I wonder if his parents had taken out an insurance policy on him when he was in high school. I would have in their circumstances.

The circumstances of the accident were a little bizarre, and his reaction was markedly low key, mellow even. I remember thinking that this was not how 16 year old males normally reacted. In retrospect, I had no idea that night how little I knew of what actually had happened. If he had been injured in the accident and it cost him a career in the NBA, my $1 million max liability would have disappeared in a heartbeat and my retirement might be on legal life support. there has to be a better way to meet five star prospects.

/

\

joe amos yaks
The W's also signed undrafted G Ky Bowman (Bc) who preferred pursuing free agency to signing a two-way contract, and also F Dedric Lawson (Ku) to a non-guaranteed contract after the draft. Both will very likely play in the G League (Santa Cruz W's).
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
gobears

Fred VanVleet at his draft party, speech to friends/family on not getting drafted.

a. a setback to his dream, but a day or so of self pity and then back to work

as GSW fans know all too well, hit clutch shots on the biggest stage and hard nose defender.

way to go...

goGSW
goBears

SmellinRoses
cool. Thanks for posting. Fire in that 4th quarter - cheers to him.
concordtom
Wow.
Quite a story of events unfolding.
I'm sorry that happened to you.
But how do you feel about him today?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.