Cal Hoops Luncheon In LA?

1,512 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Fyght4Cal
Fyght4Cal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Are any SoCal Bears interested in attending a luncheon with the Coach Fox and the Men's basketball team when they come to Los Angeles Jan 15-19?

The LA Alumni Chapter Board meeting is this week, and I was considering putting it on the agenda. Thoughts?
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
calfanz
How bout a dinner like the old days
Fyght4Cal
Didn't know about the dinners. Did attend a couple of luncheons. Dinner might be better.
helltopay1
lunches are fine. so are dinners. The new transfer portal is a disaster which will make continuity impossible. Some years half the team will transfer. I used to bleed blue and gold. Now...I just bleed. How can you realistically become emotionally invested in a kid ( like I used to do) if there is always the chance that he will transfer before he graduates????I am this close to jumping ship.
MSaviolives
helltopay1 said:

lunches are fine. so are dinners. The new transfer portal is a disaster which will make continuity impossible. Some years half the team will transfer. I used to bleed blue and gold. Now...I just bleed. How can you realistically become emotionally invested in a kid ( like I used to do) if there is always the chance that he will transfer before he graduates????I am this close to jumping ship.
I'm not close to jumping ship, but I feel the same about the lack of continuity. One of the things with college sports for me was that we would see players come in as freshman, play a little or not at all, and then watch them progress over the four years. And they would always be a Bear. This set college sports apart from pro (after free agency), where the team make up changes each year, and the only constant is often the name of the team and location (well, except the tRaiders). With one and dones and now the transfer portal, it just won't be the same, and I miss it.

I get that the new rules benefit the players, and I am not necessarily against these rules, but the consequence is I feel less connected to the team.
BeachedBear
MSaviolives said:

helltopay1 said:

I'm not close to jumping ship, but I feel the same about the lack of continuity. One of the things with college sports for me was that we would see players come in as freshman, play a little or not at all, and then watch them progress over the four years. And they would always be a Bear. This set college sports apart from pro (after free agency), where the team make up changes each year, and the only constant is often the name of the team and location (well, except the tRaiders). With one and dones and now the transfer portal, it just won't be the same, and I miss it.

I get that the new rules benefit the players, and I am not necessarily against these rules, but the consequence is I feel less connected to the team.
Well put. Revenue sports has continuously moved away from the unique attractions of the college game to a minor league model, but with pro-level TV coverage and money. Like you, I get how and why this happens, but the consequences are not in my favor, as a bear backer. Like H2P, I used to bleed blue and god and that was a big part of social connection for me and me friends and family. Now . . . I just bleed $$$ and most of the others have jumped ship years ago.
Deutsch
yes, would attend.
Fyght4Cal
Thanks Deutsch
Big Dog
yes, I would definitely attend.
Fyght4Cal
Thanks Big Dog
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.