"It's only a two-possession game."

1,303 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bluesaxe
bbfollower
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Whenever I hear this declaration by an announcer when there is, say, 8, 10, or 12 minutes left in the game, I am dumbfounded. I can't imagine a more meaningless comment, unless the viewer doesn't realize that the game is fairly close.

Even if the comment is made when there is under two minutes to play, "What is the deficit, 4, 5, or 6 points?" Even a 4-point deficit could be a one-possession game if a shooter is fouled when draining a three-pointer, as would have been the case had the USC player made the free throw near the end of the Stanford game on Saturday. I prefer hearing that the lead or deficit always be expressed in terms of the point differential.

What do you think?
stu
I think I prefer watching TV games with the sound muted.
Civil Bear
bbfollower said:

W I prefer hearing that the lead or deficit always be expressed in terms of the point differential.

What do you think?

Don't really care. If I want to know the point differential I just look at the bottom of my screen.
bluesaxe
bbfollower said:

Whenever I hear this declaration by an announcer when there is, say, 8, 10, or 12 minutes left in the game, I am dumbfounded. I can't imagine a more meaningless comment, unless the viewer doesn't realize that the game is fairly close.

Even if the comment is made when there is under two minutes to play, "What is the deficit, 4, 5, or 6 points?" Even a 4-point deficit could be a one-possession game if a shooter is fouled when draining a three-pointer, as would have been the case had the USC player made the free throw near the end of the Stanford game on Saturday. I prefer hearing that the lead or deficit always be expressed in terms of the point differential.

What do you think?
I think the score is usually shown on the screen at the same time so I don't really need the announcer to tell me what it is.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.