Let us give thanks

4,221 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AunBear89
helltopay1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Let us give thanks on this Memorial day to the countless brave men and women who gave this Country the ultimate sacrifice to help keep America free and prosperous. Free to pursue our dreams and free to love all things Cal.
KoreAmBear
helltopay1 said:

Let us give thanks on this Memorial day to the countless brave men and women who gave this Country the ultimate sacrifice to help keep America free and prosperous. Free to pursue our dreams and free to love all things Cal.

Absolutely
NavyBear
Little known fact about Cal, Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz:
In August 1926, he went to the University of California, Berkeley, to establish the Navy's first Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps unit.

I was not in ROTC at Cal, but I talked with them after I joined the Navy. One midshipman ran away from me (literally) on Bancroft when I tried to chat him up. The ROTC Gunnery Sergeant had a chuckle about that. Apparently the guy running away thought I might be trying to harass him. (I was just asking him where in Hearst Hall I was supposed to go. We, the group I was showing around, were in civvies. . .)
helltopay1
I was in the Navy too. i'm afraid I wasn't a sterling seaman--I got seasick the first three months--
NavyBear
helltopay1 said:

I was in the Navy too. i'm afraid I wasn't a sterling seaman--I got seasick the first three months--
Small ships will do that to you. Two carriers and an amphib for me. Only got the sweats once due to rough seas on the LCC. (Although I had a boss who got seasick tied to the pier--nvm when we pushed off.)

Getting seasick on small boys puts you in good company. Robert Heinlein was a mess at sea. . .
Richmondbear2
+1
bearister

My dad was called into active duty in the United States Navy during WWII and served as a line officer aboard the U.S.S. Farenholt (DD 491) in the Pacific from 1943-1945.

USS Farenholt (DD-491) - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Farenholt_(DD-491)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Farenholt_(DD-491)
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
NavyBear
bearister said:

My dad was called into active duty in the United States Navy during WWII and served as a line officer aboard the U.S.S. Farenholt (DD 491) in the Pacific from 1943-1945.

USS Farenholt (DD-491) - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Farenholt_(DD-491)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Farenholt_(DD-491)
Your father served on a Benson-class DD. Some were built in San Francisco, his was built in NYC (Staten Island.) 30 total in the build at a variety of different shipyards, most of which are gone or re-purposed. . .
bearmanpg
I also served in the Navy....2 years active duty with the reserves....flew recon with VQ-1 out of Da Nang....Never served active aboard any ship but did do 2 week ac-du-tra aboard the USS Osbourne DD-846 (Gearing class)....I too suffered some seasickness but had no problem in the air.....P-3 Orions are much smoother than tin cans.....
MSaviolives
NavyBear said:

Little known fact about Cal, Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz:
In August 1926, he went to the University of California, Berkeley, to establish the Navy's first Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps unit.

I was not in ROTC at Cal, but I talked with them after I joined the Navy. One midshipman ran away from me (literally) on Bancroft when I tried to chat him up. The ROTC Gunnery Sergeant had a chuckle about that. Apparently the guy running away thought I might be trying to harass him. (I was just asking him where in Hearst Hall I was supposed to go. We, the group I was showing around, were in civvies. . .)
In retirement, he lived on Santa Barbara Road--a few blocks away from my family's house.

Sometimes when the Admiral went walking around the neighborhood, my dad would point him out to us kids. I read his biography. He was a walker all his life, including during the war.

Here's a little more about his time in Berkeley. Admiral Nimitz in Berkeley

He was also a Regent of the UC system from 1948-1956.

One more Bear connection: Mrs. Nimitz (Catherine) was a Cal grad.
bearister
Jim Morrison's dad was a rear admiral. I know Jim went to Alameda HS when his dad was posted at the Naval Air Station. Below is a picture of Jim on the JV Swim team in 1958 (front row, far right).

George Stephen Morrison - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Stephen_Morrison
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Stephen_Morrison

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
NavyBear
bearmanpg said:

I also served in the Navy....2 years active duty with the reserves....flew recon with VQ-1 out of Da Nang....Never served active aboard any ship but did do 2 week ac-du-tra aboard the USS Osbourne DD-846 (Gearing class)....I too suffered some seasickness but had no problem in the air.....P-3 Orions are much smoother than tin cans.....
Hey, I flew with VQ-1 (and VQ-2) in the Mid-East! Of course, you guys called us baggage/passengers (and we called you bus drivers--as we were not part of the squadron. . .)

We hit an ice-storm in the Gulf coming out of Iraq in Feb, the plane was plunging 5K feet at a time and then nosing up after we got out of it. My third flight. Almost barfed on that one, had to unzip my flight suit for ventilation. One guy messed with me and told me he never got used to those every flight. I thought that was going to be a long tour, esp with those long missions.
NavyBear
MSaviolives said:

In retirement, he lived on Santa Barbara Road--a few blocks away from my family's house.

Sometimes when the Admiral went walking around the neighborhood, my dad would point him out to us kids. I read his biography. He was a walker all his life, including during the war.

Here's a little more about his time in Berkeley. Admiral Nimitz in Berkeley

He was also a Regent of the UC system from 1948-1956.

One more Bear connection: Mrs. Nimitz (Catherine) was a Cal grad.

Great link about ADM Nimitz. Certainly one of the greats.

Quote:

Quote:

Jim Morrison's dad was a rear admiral. I know Jim went to Alameda HS when his dad was posted at the Naval Air Station. Below is a picture of Jim on the JV Swim team in 1958 (front row, far right).

George Stephen Morrison - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Stephen_Morrison
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Stephen_Morrison

Also interesting info about RADM Morrison, amazing career. Sad he outlived his son by so much. . .
mbBear
helltopay1 said:

That was a really nice post. I wonder if Jimmy Doolittle is our most famous Cal vet?
My brush with military involvement was the honor of getting to spend the night at sea on the USS Teddy Roosevelt a few years back...
smh
mbBear said:

I wonder if Jimmy Doolittle is our most famous Cal vet?
nominating the late (not so) great, and often cursed defense secretary.
# the dark side was strong in this one
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_McNamara
Quote:

Robert McNamara was born in San Francisco, California.[3] His father was Robert James McNamara, sales manager of a wholesale shoe company, and his mother was Clara Nell (Strange) McNamara.[5][6][7] His father's family was Irish and, in about 1850, following the Great Irish Famine, had emigrated to the U.S., first to Massachusetts and later to California.[8] He graduated from Piedmont High School in Piedmont, California in 1933, where he was president of the Rigma Lions boys club[9] and earned the rank of Eagle Scout. McNamara attended the University of California, Berkeley and graduated in 1937 with a B.A. in economics with minors in mathematics and philosophy. He was a member of Phi Gamma Delta fraternity,[10] was elected to Phi Beta Kappa his sophomore year, and earned a varsity letter in crew. McNamara before commissioning into the Army Air Force, was a Cadet in the Golden Bear Battalion at U.C. Berkeley [11] McNamara was also a member of the UC Berkeley's Order of the Golden Bear which was a fellowship of students and leading faculty members formed to promote leadership within the student body.
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
bearmanpg
NavyBear said:

bearmanpg said:

Hey, I flew with VQ-1 (and VQ-2) in the Mid-East! Of course, you guys called us baggage/passengers (and we called you bus drivers--as we were not part of the squadron. . .)

We hit an ice-storm in the Gulf coming out of Iraq in Feb, the plane was plunging 5K feet at a time and then nosing up after we got out of it. My third flight. Almost barfed on that one, had to unzip my flight suit for ventilation. One guy messed with me and told me he never got used to those every flight. I thought that was going to be a long tour, esp with those long missions.
Small world....after the peace treaty was signed they moved us from Da Nang to Cubi Point in the Philippines...we flew the same missions spotting radar sites in N. Vietnam (SAM missiles were radar guided) but they were at least 12 hour flights....I was a cryptographer syncing crypto equipt and running the teletype comms to the carriers just in case they scrambled any MIGs to come after us...fortunately, they knew the inevitable result so they didn't try to intercept us on any missions that I was a part of.....
NavyBear
bearmanpg said:

NavyBear said:

bearmanpg said:

Small world....after the peace treaty was signed they moved us from Da Nang to Cubi Point in the Philippines...we flew the same missions spotting radar sites in N. Vietnam (SAM missiles were radar guided) but they were at least 12 hour flights....I was a cryptographer syncing crypto equipt and running the teletype comms to the carriers just in case they scrambled any MIGs to come after us...fortunately, they knew the inevitable result so they didn't try to intercept us on any missions that I was a part of.....

Sent you a PM. I work with two guys from that era, both VQ Da Nang/Cubi CTs. You may know them. . .
SBGold
I'm not surprised by this
BeachedBear
bearmanpg said:

I spent my Navy time during the early Reagan era. Most of it chasing Russian and Chinese fishing trawlers in the Pacific that had waaaay too much sophisticated communication gear for fishing It was pretty clear that the end of the Cold War was nigh (it came about 5 years later)

helltopay1
I'm glad I started this thread. We have so many heroes and good men. We need to hear their stories.
Civil Bear
BeachedBear said:

bearmanpg said:

I spent my Navy time during the early Reagan era. Most of it chasing Russian and Chinese fishing trawlers in the Pacific that had waaaay too much sophisticated communication gear for fishing It was pretty clear that the end of the Cold War was nigh (it came about 5 years later)

Simple Marine grunt here, who spent most of my time being dragged around by squids in the Pacific and Indian Ocean during the Reagan era. Just one small detour through the Suez Canal...
AunBear89
Baby Bro (Class of '99) just celebrated 20 years active duty in the Navy. Went straight to Great Lakes after graduation. Now he's at Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek in Virginia.

Go Bears! Go Navy! Beat Army!
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
smh
best two words in the english language, from the Been-There/Done-That branch of service.

Short! SHOORT!!!
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
NavyBear
Civil Bear said:

BeachedBear said:

bearmanpg said:

Simple Marine grunt here, who spent most of my time being dragged around by squids in the Pacific and Indian Ocean during the Reagan era. Just one small detour through the Suez Canal...
MARINE = My Ass Rides In Navy Equipment
AunBear89
NavyBear said:

Civil Bear said:

BeachedBear said:

bearmanpg said:

My brother says you can always tell when SEALs are on a Navy ship: the number of Marines reporting to sick bay with "I walked in to a door" injuries increases noticeably.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Civil Bear
NavyBear said:

Civil Bear said:

BeachedBear said:

bearmanpg said:

Squid = Lower form of marine life
Civil Bear
AunBear89 said:

NavyBear said:

Civil Bear said:

BeachedBear said:

bearmanpg said:

My brother says you can always tell when SEALs are on a Navy ship: the number of Marines reporting to sick bay with "I walked in to a door" injuries increases noticeably.
pshaw...

But I must give those guys credit. Every time we saw them they were working out. There was a time when we challenged them (or they challenged us, I don't remember) to a wrestling match. They cleaned our clocks pretty handly (me included), except for one. Our littlest guy (maybe 140# soaking wet) was a state wrestling champ from Minnesota, and he managed to embarrass a few of their biggest dudes. It was pretty damn entertaining!

As for sickbay injuries, that was mostly made up of squids that were clumsy or dumb enough to step on spit-shined boots.

NavyBear
Civil Bear said:

NavyBear said:

Civil Bear said:

BeachedBear said:

bearmanpg said:

Squid = Lower form of marine life
Funny story: when I was an Ensign at the Agency, our boss had us stand-up and introduce ourselves to the team, saying what school we graduated from, what mission we are working, etc. When I told the team there that I went to Berkeley, a Marine Colonel at the big table hissed at me and said: the enemy is amidst us.

I thought he was joking, so I grinned at him. He did not smile back. When he got up to leave, he walked past me, and the top of his head came up to about my nipples. I did not smile as he trotted by--I did not want him biting me...

I am prior-enlisted (and was old for an Ensign) so I did not take his guff too seriously. Still, I was happy I did not directly work for him.
helltopay1
Dear navy: He was not talking about Cal Athletics: He was talking about the political culture which was transforming Cal at the time. ( The transformation is now about 95 % complete.)
AunBear89
helltopay1 said:

Dear navy: He was not talking about Cal Athletics: He was talking about the political culture which was transforming Cal at the time. ( The transformation is now about 95 % complete.)

Way to hijack your own thread - nut jobs gonna nut job.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.