Hyder

4,752 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Big C
RedlessWardrobe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I thought his eligibility request was already denied. Did I miss something? Fox said he is still waiting for NCAA decision. Help me out Bear posters.
oskidunker
I think he waS hoping the ncaa would approve general waivers. That has been delayed until next year. I looked up reasons for hardship waivers and it does not appear he is going that way, but I am not sure.some reasons could be that Fresno does not have a field of study he wants, and a few others. My best guess is he is appealing generally and I doubt its approved.there is a huge list of waiver requests. Few have been acted on. I really dont know why they wait until the season has started to rule, buy generally that is the case. They do a great diservice to programs by noy acting sooner. Very frustrating

Here is a link to ncaa waivers. Not sure where he would fit
https://www.athleticscholarships.net/ncaa-transfer-exceptions.htm
Go Bears!
ncbears
He doesn't fit in the "top recruit to a top program" category for a waiver request to be granted.
oskidunker
ncbears said:

He doesn't fit in the "top recruit to a top program" category for a waiver request to be granted.
There you go.
Go Bears!
swan
oskidunker said:

ncbears said:

There you go.
Also known as the "anything Sean Miller wants" exception.
helltopay1
looks like a good get. averaged 9 points and 3 assists as a frosh. now, about getting Mahanay.....
helltopay1
My feeling is that Mahaney will choose between St. Marys and Cal. He has tons of personal contact with Bennett so if he really likes Bennett, he will choose St. Marys. All of a sudden, I'm not feeling optimistic. He has too many Bennett connections...hardly any connections to Fox.
Beardog26
My sons graduated from Campo a few months ago and know Mahaney a bit. Based only on what I've heard from them and the BI article quoting Mahaney that he is good friends with Cal commit Marsalis Roberson (I saw the two interact in person during January's MLK tourney at St Mary's College), it seems that we have more than a decent shot. Nothing is guaranteed in recruiting, but I like our chances.
MilleniaBear
Curious - where did Carter Mahaney goto school at? Did he get a basketball scholarship anywhere or did he walk on? Maybe the key to signing Aiden (sp?) is recruiting his older brother.
Beardog26
Northern Arizona
HearstMining
MilleniaBear said:

Curious - where did Carter Mahaney goto school at? Did he get a basketball scholarship anywhere or did he walk on? Maybe the key to signing Aiden (sp?) is recruiting his older brother.
Yeah, how did that work out with Keenan Allen and Zach Maynard?
SFCityBear
HearstMining said:

MilleniaBear said:

Yeah, how did that work out with Keenan Allen and Zach Maynard?
Poor Zach. At least he became skilled at fielding the ground balls he often got with the snap from center.

I sure am looking forward this season to seeing our QB back over center in the new Bear offense.
helltopay1
Dear bear dog...I'll keep my fingers crossed. Please give guys more info if it becomes available..roberson did say that "Aiden and I are best friends." that doesn't necessarily mean anything for recruiting...
Beardog26
Not necessarily, you're right. It certainly doesn't hurt our chances, though. If being close with a possible future teammate (Roberson) has no bearing on whether Mahaney chooses Cal, then why is his relationship with the St Mary's coach (Bennett) a clear negative for us? It almost seems like some are trying to look for anything negative here.
helltopay1
I'm just trying to lower my expectations. He's known Bennett all his life...( and his kids) If he chooses St. Marys, he could walk to school...He woulds be a terrific building block if he chose Cal.
graguna
helltopay1 said:

I'm just trying to lower my expectations. He's known Bennett all his life...( and his kids) If he chooses St. Marys, he could walk to school...He woulds be a terrific building block if he chose Cal.
I think getting a bit further than walking distance from your parents when you go off to college might be a plus on lots of 18 year old's lists
Civil Bear
graguna said:

helltopay1 said:

I think getting a bit further than walking distance from your parents when you go off to college might be a plus on lots of 18 year old's lists
Yup. My thought was to be close enough to visit, but not unannounced.
SFCityBear
graguna said:

helltopay1 said:

And should be a plus on most parents' lists as well, but unfortunately it is not, if one can judge by how easily so many parents accepted the kids back into their homes after graduation. (pre-covid)
KoreAmBear
Civil Bear said:

graguna said:

helltopay1 said:

Haha I wanted to get the hell out. I was intending East Coast at first, but Bay Area from LA was good enough.
calumnus
KoreAmBear said:

Civil Bear said:

graguna said:

helltopay1 said:

Haha I wanted to get the hell out. I was intending East Coast at first, but Bay Area from LA was good enough.

Six hour drive, one hour flight is perfect. Can come home for Thanksgiving if you want, but far enough to say "too much school work to do" if you do not.
stu
I went all of 10 miles from Lafayette to Berkeley but that was enough. Besides in the 1960s driving through the tunnel from Lafayette to Berkeley was like teleporting to another universe.
Econ For Dummies
Civil Bear said:

graguna said:

helltopay1 said:

My thought was close enough to go home, but far enough away to be inconvenient to visit. I've never lived outside of the Bay Area.

I wouldn't mind living in a town like Berkeley, but I could never afford a house there. But I enjoyed living there as a college student.
Cal8285
helltopay1 said:

Is there any school that will offer a scholarship where he can't walk to school? I don't think so.

Except for SMC, of course, he can't walk to his parents' house from his dorm (or perhaps eventually, his apartment). Whether that is good or bad all depends. As mentioned elsewhere, the worst thing is that his parents can drop by on him far too easily at SMC, but it isn't really that much harder at Cal.
stu
Cal8285 said:

Except for SMC, of course, he can't walk to his parents' house from his dorm (or perhaps eventually, his apartment). Whether that is good or bad all depends. As mentioned elsewhere, the worst thing is that his parents can drop by on him far too easily at SMC, but it isn't really that much harder at Cal.
Where are they going to park in Berkeley?
Big C
stu said:

Cal8285 said:

Where are they going to park in Berkeley?

You may be on to something: We award his mom or dad a Noble Prize*, complete with parking spot on campus! Wait, is that breaking some sort of recruiting rule? Oh yeah, and under this scenario, we DON'T want his folks to be able to find a spot to park.

Never mind...

* note spelling
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.