Sueing, Vanover, McNeill updates

4,341 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by calumnus
ncbears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Updates on those that left
My initial reaction is "they left" and let's play with those who want to be Bears.
And I don't recall all the timing regarding Fox had a chance to keep them as Bears.
Big C
Supposedly, McNeill was gone, but Fox possibly could've kept Sueing and had an even better shot at Vanover, had he been able to make a more compelling case. However, Sueing made his decision quickly (remember the rolling eyes in the now-famous video?) and Vanover returned to his native Arkansas, so who knows.

To me, McNeill was a good guy, with good athleticism and good skills, but zero clue how to play winning basketball. Not what you want at the point.

Sueing ran up good numbers and is continuing that at Ohio State. That's what his game is about, running up numbers. He will be a success in life, always running up numbers, while rolling his eyes at just the right time (read wrong time). He could've provided some junior/senior leadership for the fledgling Fox program (and good numbers!), but that isn't what he's about.

I hated to see Vanover go. We'd be a different team with him and his unique skill set.
Alkiadt
Big C said:

Supposedly, McNeill was gone, but Fox possibly could've kept Sueing and had an even better shot at Vanover, had he been able to make a more compelling case. However, Sueing made his decision quickly (remember the rolling eyes in the now-famous video?) and Vanover returned to his native Arkansas, so who knows.

To me, McNeill was a good guy, with good athleticism and good skills, but zero clue how to play winning basketball. Not what you want at the point.

Sueing ran up good numbers and is continuing that at Ohio State. That's what his game is about, running up numbers. He will be a success in life, always running up numbers, while rolling his eyes at just the right time (read wrong time). He could've provided some junior/senior leadership for the fledgling Fox program (and good numbers!), but that isn't what he's about.

I hated to see Vanover go. We'd be a different team with him and his unique skill set.

Great summary. I was only disappointed with Vanover leaving.
bearister
...and I only liked McNeill. He seemed like a great young man and he had a couple of outstanding games. I think with a decent coach he would have been a good player for Cal.

" 2018-19 (Sophomore): Started 28 of 31 games and averaged 11.0 points, 1.4 steals and 0.9 assists while hitting 34.9% from three played 16 games with double digits had five games with three or more steals. GAME HIGHLIGHTS: Recorded season high 23 points and 7 steals at UCLA.

2017-18 (Freshman at Cal): Set the Cal freshman three-point record with 67 three-pointers, eclipsing Allen Crabbe's 2011 record of 63Appeared in all 32 games with 30 starts playing primarily at point guardAveraged 11.3 points, 2.9 rebounds, 2.2 assists and 1.2 stealsShot 35.3 percent from beyond the arcScored in double figures in 19 games and turned in 20 outings with multiple three-pointers, including a 12-game three-point streak from Nov. 10 to Dec. 16Three 20-point gamesLed the Bears in scoring four times and in assists 10 timesStarted all 18 regular-season Pac-12 games, averaging 9.4 points, 2.8 rebounds and 1.2 steals per game with 34 total three-pointers and eight games in double figuresWent 5-10 from three-point range and shot 41.2 percent (7-17) from the field in the Pac-12 Tournament game against StanfordAveraged 25.0 points over a two-game stretch in wins over CSU Fullerton and SeattleRecorded a career-high 30 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists and 5 steals against the TitansWent 6-7 from downtown to score 22 points against CSUNRecorded his first career block against Cal PolyEarned his first collegiate start against Wofford, going 7-11 with 17 points." 247sports.com

...and yes, we could really use those other fellers too.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
concernedparent
Big C said:

And if we had all 3 we'd be a respectable team. McNeill, Bradley, Sueing, Anticevich, Vanover with Kelly, Foreman, and Betley off the bench is a top half team in a down Pac.
SFCityBear
concernedparent said:

Big C said:

And if we had all 3 we'd be a respectable team. McNeill, Bradley, Sueing, Anticevich, Vanover with Kelly, Foreman, and Betley off the bench is a top half team in a down Pac.
Who would be your point guard?
concernedparent
SFCityBear said:

concernedparent said:

Big C said:

Who would be your point guard?
McNeill is a good ballhandler, I'm sure he's just as good at dribbling across the court and giving the ball to Matt Bradley or Justice Sueing as anybody. Playing point sure becomes a lot easier when you have 5 shooting threats and two very good scorers.
bearister
Why couldn't Sueing have had the common decency to lose the headband at Cal instead of waiting to get to Ohio State to do so.

*Whenever I see headbands I think of the Jason Kapono era at FUCLA when half the clowns on that team wore them. If memory serves, Cal beat that team...and those headbands looked even dumber when they were losing.

*BTW, nice carry with that dribble, JK
calumnus
Big C said:

Sueing "putting up numbers" like leading Cal in scoring, rebounding, steals, and second in assists and blocks? 1st team PAC-12 All-Academic.

Now leading #23 Ohio State in scoring, shooting percentage and steals, while second in rebounding and third in assists?

I follow Hawaii sports and was thrilled when we landed Sueing (met his dad, an ex-UH basketball player at a UH tailgate). He is a thoughtful young man and talented basketball player, we would definitely be better with him and I was sad to see him go.
4thGenCal
Big C said:

Accurately stated, McNeil was gone (and the then staff was not down about it). Too often McNeil let a missed shot affect him at the defensive end of the floor. Vanover would have definitely stayed if Wyking had been granted one more year - Mom and Vanover bonded very well with the head coach and felt that basketball skills would flourish with more maturity/skill development/coaching. Sueing was 50/50 about leaving, he liked his teammates mostly, but wanted to play for a contending team. He also was mostly about his numbers regardless of the direction of the game. IE at the away Stanford game where Vanover was on fire and had hit 4-5 3's leading to a large first half lead, he complained to the lead assistant "I am not getting enough touches". No question losing those 2 affected the team as the current team lacks consistent shooters, and is simply less talented without them.
Until Fox recruits more athletic players, develops our big men, and brings in shooting depth, Cal will have to play near flawless basketball to be competitive.
concordtom
Hey, long time no see!
Greetings.
Big C
calumnus said:

Big C said:

Sueing "putting up numbers" like leading Cal in scoring, rebounding, steals, and second in assists and blocks? 1st team PAC-12 All-Academic.

Now leading #23 Ohio State in scoring, shooting percentage and steals, while second in rebounding and third in assists?

I follow Hawaii sports and was thrilled when we landed Sueing (met his dad, an ex-UH basketball player at a UH tailgate). He is a thoughtful young man and talented basketball player, we would definitely be better with him and I was sad to see him go.

Sueing is a good basketball player, a good student and certainly not a bad guy. I was sorry to see him go, too. Indeed, to a large extent, "running up numbers" is good for the team as well as for the individual. And yet, my broader take on what he brought to the team is affirmed by both 4thGenCal and BearGreg (different thread).
59bear
4thGenCal said:

Big C said:

Accurately stated, McNeil was gone (and the then staff was not down about it). Too often McNeil let a missed shot affect him at the defensive end of the floor. Vanover would have definitely stayed if Wyking had been granted one more year - Mom and Vanover bonded very well with the head coach and felt that basketball skills would flourish with more maturity/skill development/coaching. Sueing was 50/50 about leaving, he liked his teammates mostly, but wanted to play for a contending team. He also was mostly about his numbers regardless of the direction of the game. IE at the away Stanford game where Vanover was on fire and had hit 4-5 3's leading to a large first half lead, he complained to the lead assistant "I am not getting enough touches". No question losing those 2 affected the team as the current team lacks consistent shooters, and is simply less talented without them.
Until Fox recruits more athletic players, develops our big men, and brings in shooting depth, Cal will have to play near flawless basketball to be competitive.
That last sentence pretty much summarizes my opinion. These 3 guys are all better than okays currently getting significant minutes for us. Fox can coach; kid future will rest with his ability to recruit.
HoopDreams
https://instagr.am/p/CIhF7H2Hw-_
KoreAmBear
HoopDreams said:

Damn he looks taller and his shot still is smooth. Was he 7'3" at Cal? NBA draft anyone?
stu
KoreAmBear said:

Damn he looks taller and his shot still is smooth. Was he 7'3" at Cal? NBA draft anyone?
Looks like he's filled out a little, though he still has a way to go. Better hair too.
Big C
KoreAmBear said:

HoopDreams said:

Once when the team was coming back out for the second half, my then-6-yr-old daughter gave him a high five... well it was a low five for him.
SFCityBear
stu said:

KoreAmBear said:

Looks like he's filled out a little, though he still has a way to go. Better hair too.
I'm glad he ditched the Left Coast hair-do.
KoreAmBear
SFCityBear said:

stu said:

KoreAmBear said:

Yah not sure how corn rows on a 7'3" white guy was going to play in Fayetteville.
SFCityBear
KoreAmBear said:

SFCityBear said:

stu said:

KoreAmBear said:

Yah not sure how corn rows on a 7'3" white guy was going to play in Fayetteville.
Was it corn rows? I thought I remembered it as a cute little top knot, or as one poster described, "a man bun".

None of these do's rock in Fayetteville, that's for sure.

While we are discussing hair, what is with Justice Sueing ditching the headband, and letting his hair grow wild like a bush on top of his head, like Tyger, the PG for UCLA? Is this the new style? Julius Erving and Cal's Bob Presley, rest his soul, with their well-groomed Afros, would not be happy with this new development, if it catches on and becomes all the rage.
KoreAmBear
SFCityBear said:

KoreAmBear said:

SFCityBear said:

stu said:

KoreAmBear said:

Was it corn rows? I thought I remembered it as a cute little top knot, or as one poster described, "a man bun".

While we are discussing hair, what is with Justice Sueing ditching the headband, and letting his hair grow wild like a bush on top of his head, like Tyger, the PG for UCLA? Is this the new style? Julius Erving and Cal's Bob Presley, rest his soul, with their well-groomed Afros, would not be happy with this new development, if it catches on and becomes all the rage.
Vanover had the man bun then corn rows later in the season.
Big C
KoreAmBear said:

SFCityBear said:

KoreAmBear said:

SFCityBear said:

stu said:

KoreAmBear said:

As his hair grew out, he had something new every couple of weeks. I bet a little bit of him misses Berkeley, or, at least, he will appreciate his year here.
bearister

3 in 1 Combo 'Do:

SFCityBear
KoreAmBear said:

SFCityBear said:

KoreAmBear said:

SFCityBear said:

stu said:

KoreAmBear said:

I guess I must have missed that. Probably after I decided to tune out the rest of the season. Wyking teams were so hard to watch. I thought I had tuned back in for the last 3 or 4 games, but still don't remember the corn rows.
SFCityBear
bearister said:

3 in 1 Combo 'Do:

Vanover was one of a kind.
bearister
Arkansas played a stiff yesterday and he had 3 points in 20 minutes and 9 boards. You can put me in the "it will never fly, Wilbur" camp.

Southern vs. Arkansas - Game Summary - December 9, 2020 - ESPN
Southern vs. Arkansas - Game Summary - December 9, 2020 - ESPN

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=401268102
calbears4ever
KoreAmBear said:

SFCityBear said:

KoreAmBear said:

SFCityBear said:

stu said:

KoreAmBear said:

Cultural appropriation at its finest. He should not have been allowed to do that
calumnus
calbears4ever said:

KoreAmBear said:

SFCityBear said:

KoreAmBear said:

SFCityBear said:

stu said:

KoreAmBear said:

Cultural appropriation at its finest. He should not have been allowed to do that

Also sometimes called "Dutch braids." Vanover is a Dutch name. Supposedly Vikings sometimes braided their hair and beards (and shows like "Vikings" definitely depict that).
calbears4ever
The Dutch braid often starts on the scalp area and then goes off to the side (think Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen from the hunger games), so Vanover's look doesn't fully count as a Dutch braid
BeachedBear
calbears4ever said:

The Dutch braid often starts on the scalp area and then goes off to the side (think Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen from the hunger games), so Vanover's look doesn't fully count as a Dutch braid
I thought we're supposed to keep politics to the OT board
calbears4ever
Oh shoot
calumnus
calbears4ever said:

He might have been going for History Channel's "Vikings" more than Katniss
https://www.menshairstylestoday.com/viking-hairstyles/
Only Vanover knows what he was thinking.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.