Next year

5,218 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BeachedBear
helltopay1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
starting lineup:

brown
Hyder
Kelly
Bradley
Kuany or Theimann depending on the match-up

Serious minutes off the bench

Roberson
Bowser
Thorpe
One of the new forwards.
KoreAmBear
helltopay1 said:

starting lineup:

brown
Hyder
Kelly
Bradley
Kuany or Theimann depending on the match-up

Serious minutes off the bench

Roberson
Bowser
Thorpe
One of the new forwards.
Anyanwu has the talent to start.
HoopDreams
hopefully one or more of the seniors can return
helltopay1
like who???
helltopay1
any reason to think Bradley & Kelly won't come back???
stu
Anticevich, Betley, Foreman. Everyone gets an extra year of eligibility since COVID-19 more or less wrecked this year.
helltopay1
really????
Civil Bear
helltopay1 said:

really????
Really. Of course they would have to be enrolled in a grad program.
AunBear89
Civil Bear said:

helltopay1 said:

really????

Or maybe extend UG status for a couple of semesters with senior seminars and other "interesting" classes.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
HoopDreams
AunBear89 said:

Civil Bear said:

helltopay1 said:

really????

Or maybe extend UG status for a couple of semesters with senior seminars and other "interesting" classes.
given how Bentley is from the ivy league, I'd expect he's have a good shot at being accepted into Cal grad school

not sure of the other two
helltopay1
once again, Cal at a disadvantage..why can't the Chancellor help the transition into grad programs???Every year this hurts Cal.
gmunay
HoopDreams said:

AunBear89 said:

Civil Bear said:

helltopay1 said:

really????

given how Bentley is from the ivy league, I'd expect he's have a good shot at being accepted into Cal grad school

Aren't Betley and Foreman already in grad school?
helltopay1
that's what I thought...
GoCal80
AunBear89 said:

Civil Bear said:

helltopay1 said:

really????

Normally there are unit caps of 130 units (single major) or 136 units (double major) that force students to graduate when they reach those limits. However, this year the campus is granting an exception for athletes due to COVID so they can remain undergraduates.
HoopDreams
Hmmm ... I guess they are

I wonder if they are in one or two year programs?

gmunay said:

HoopDreams said:

AunBear89 said:

Civil Bear said:

helltopay1 said:

really????

Aren't Betley and Foreman already in grad school?
Big C

Right now, we are developing a large stable of mediocre players. Imagine if we could trade our three point guards for one GOOD one and our three post players for one GOOD one...
tthompson993
By the way don't forget about Celestine for next year. Hopefully he will be fully healed and can display the athleticism that we saw in his high school high lite tapes. I think that he may be a sleeper in our overall progress next year.
oskidunker
I would like to see what Kuani does against Oregon in a fast paced game. Once he gets going, he is pretty good.
Go Bears!
swan
helltopay1 said:

once again, Cal at a disadvantage..why can't the Chancellor help the transition into grad programs???Every year this hurts Cal.
The NCAA sanctioned a number Cal certificate programs for graduate school requirement. One of our grad football players (the fullback from Kentucky) has spoken glowingly about his participation, but I do not know if the Fox has looked at it for the basketball program.

https://extension.berkeley.edu/international/professional/
Big C
swan said:

helltopay1 said:

The NCAA sanctioned a number Cal certificate programs for graduate school requirement. One of our grad football players (the fullback from Kentucky) has spoken glowingly about his participation, but I do not know if the Fox has looked at it for the basketball program.

https://extension.berkeley.edu/international/professional/

Yes, we have started to make a lot of the necessary progress in this area! Not long ago, a Masters in Public Health was just about the only option for grads wanting to come here.
helltopay1
Ah yes: I went to George Washington instead of Cal for my MHA degree. Seems like yesterday.
dimitrig
Big C said:

Right now, we are developing a large stable of mediocre players. Imagine if we could trade our three point guards for one GOOD one and our three post players for one GOOD one...

I hear you, but there are ways coaches can exploit depth such as with an attacking, pressing defense or one that sends the other team's players to the line a lot with a physical style of play. Or, if the bench players have a different style then maybe change it up and go from a slow tempo to a fast one or vice versa to keep the opponent off balance.

I agree that in basketball I'd rather have a couple of All-Americans and no bench than a deep team full of borderline starters but it is on the coach to build a team that works with the players he recruited. Having a lot of options and flexibility can be a good thing if there's a method to the madness.

puget sound cal fan
The Bears' lineup is like a donut with the scoring and ability located on the perimeter with a hole in the middle. The Bears can't wait for the Bishop O'Dowd Center to bolster the front line to become competitive.
helltopay1
donuts are underrated.
HearstMining
helltopay1 said:

donuts are underrated.
I'm an apple fritter man, myself.
And there's a lot to be said for maple bars.
SFCityBear
puget sound cal fan said:

The Bears' lineup is like a donut with the scoring and ability located on the perimeter with a hole in the middle. The Bears can't wait for the Bishop O'Dowd Center to bolster the front line to become competitive.
A good center sure would help give us a real chance against Oregon tonight, the team picked to win the PAC12, a team with no players in the lineup taller than 6-6, apparently.

And by the way, who makes up these schedules, having us play on New Year's Eve in Oregon? I guess the players can celebrate the coming of the New Year, by going into Portland after the game for some late night action and real fireworks. I just hope they don't run into the wrong end of any Molotov cocktails, which I hear is the drink of choice in Portland.
SFCityBear
oskidunker
New years eve has been cancelled. They are lucky to be playing.
Go Bears!
SFCityBear
oskidunker said:

Have they cancelled the New Year as well?
SFCityBear
oskidunker
Pretty much
Go Bears!
stu
Quote:

And by the way, who makes up these schedules, having us play on New Year's Eve in Oregon? I guess the players can celebrate the coming of the New Year, by going into Portland after the game for some late night action and real fireworks. I just hope they don't run into the wrong end of any Molotov cocktails, which I hear is the drink of choice in Portland.
I hear it's safer to be at a party in Portland than to be governor of Michigan. Or to be in DC on Jan 6.
BeachedBear
SFCityBear said:

oskidunker said:

Have they cancelled the New Year as well?
I believe the idea was that since most people will be staying in on New Year eve - to make it a P12 TV day (sort of like bowl games on New years Day). I think 3 of the games have been postponed already. I applaud the effort, if not the execution.

Weird Year - I'll be watching while I enjoy NYE dinner.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.